Use kwin as window manager - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Use kwin as window manager - Mandriva ; I previously used Compiz fusion on my mandriva 2008 running laptop kernel however not being able to set window specific settings i disabled it and switched to kwin. how can i use compiz fusion but still be using kwin as ...

  1. Use kwin as window manager

    I previously used Compiz fusion on my mandriva 2008 running laptop
    kernel however not being able to set window specific settings i
    disabled it and switched to kwin.

    how can i use compiz fusion but still be using kwin as my window
    manager? is this possible?

  2. Re: Use kwin as window manager

    Sindhu wrote:

    > I previously used Compiz fusion on my mandriva 2008 running laptop
    > kernel however not being able to set window specific settings i
    > disabled it and switched to kwin.
    >
    > how can i use compiz fusion but still be using kwin as my window
    > manager? is this possible?

    yes it is if compiz-fusion is running you should see the blue compiz cube on
    the task bar right click on the cube then scroll up to select window
    manager and choose kwin from there.

    or go hear
    http://www.howtoforge.com/compiz-fus...1-gnome-nvidia

    or google with compiz fusion on mandriva
    and you should find what your looking for

  3. Re: Use kwin as window manager

    On Aug 25, 7:28*pm, darklight wrote:
    > Sindhu wrote:
    > > I previously used Compiz fusion on my mandriva 2008 running laptop
    > > kernel however not being able to set window specific settings i
    > > disabled it and switched to kwin.

    > > how can i use compiz fusion but still be using kwin as my window
    > > manager? is this possible?

    > yes it is if compiz-fusion is running you should see the blue compiz cubeon
    > the task bar right click on the cube then scroll up to select window
    > manager and choose kwin from there.
    >
    > or go hearhttp://www.howtoforge.com/compiz-fusion-on-mandriva2008.1-gnome-nvidia
    >
    > or google with compiz fusion on mandriva
    > and you should find what your looking for

    am running KDE, i see no blue cube, is there any where i can access
    that setting?

  4. Re: Use kwin as window manager

    On Monday 25 August 2008 13:56, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > I previously used Compiz fusion on my mandriva 2008 running laptop
    > kernel however not being able to set window specific settings i
    > disabled it and switched to kwin.
    >
    > how can i use compiz fusion but still be using kwin as my window
    > manager? is this possible?

    Compiz-Fusion *is* your window manager. If you switch to /kwin/ then you
    won't be running Compiz-Fusion anymore.

    However - and I believe that this may be what you're after - it is possible
    to use the KDE window decorations with Compiz-Fusion, but don't ask me how
    as I don't have Compiz-Fusion or Beryl on this machine. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: Use kwin as window manager

    Sindhu wrote:

    > On Aug 25, 7:28*pm, darklight wrote:
    >> Sindhu wrote:
    >> > I previously used Compiz fusion on my mandriva 2008 running laptop
    >> > kernel however not being able to set window specific settings i
    >> > disabled it and switched to kwin.

    >> > how can i use compiz fusion but still be using kwin as my window
    >> > manager? is this possible?

    >> yes it is if compiz-fusion is running you should see the blue compiz cube
    >> on the task bar right click on the cube then scroll up to select window
    >> manager and choose kwin from there.
    >>
    >> or go

    hearhttp://www.howtoforge.com/compiz-fusion-on-mandriva2008.1-gnome-nvidia

    >> or google with compiz fusion on mandriva
    >> and you should find what your looking for

    > am running KDE, i see no blue cube, is there any where i can access
    > that setting?

    sorry i read your question wrong
    how can i use compiz fusion but still be using kwin as my window
    manager? is this possible?

    you can't do that

    but i think you might be saying you want to use compiz-fusion with
    the kde window decorator.

    did you take a look at the web site?

  6. Re: Use kwin as window manager

    On Aug 26, 4:28*pm, darklight wrote:
    > Sindhu wrote:

    > >> yes it is if compiz-fusion is running you should see the blue compiz cube
    > >> on the task bar right click on the cube then scroll up to select window
    > >> manager and choose kwin from there.

    > >> or go

    > hearhttp://www.howtoforge.com/compiz-fusion-on-mandriva2008.1-gnome-nvidia
    >

    > >> or google with compiz fusion on mandriva
    > >> and you should find what your looking for

    > > am running KDE, i see no blue cube, is there any where i can access
    > > that setting?

    > sorry i read your question wrong
    > *how can i use compiz fusion but still be using kwin as my window
    > *manager? is this possible?
    >
    > you can't do that
    >
    > but i think you might be saying you want to use compiz-fusion with
    > the kde window decorator.
    >
    > did you take a look at the web site?

    I took at the link provided but i also googled and found >http://
    wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Decorators/KDEWindowDecorator

    and it advised me to do a "kde-window-decorator --replace" which i
    did, via console and all was good but i had to close the console and i
    was left with windows with no borders/titlebars etc... what do i do?

  7. Re: Use kwin as window manager

    On Aug 26, 4:28*pm, darklight wrote:
    > Sindhu wrote:

    > >> yes it is if compiz-fusion is running you should see the blue compiz cube
    > >> on the task bar right click on the cube then scroll up to select window
    > >> manager and choose kwin from there.

    > >> or go

    > hearhttp://www.howtoforge.com/compiz-fusion-on-mandriva2008.1-gnome-nvidia
    >

    > >> or google with compiz fusion on mandriva
    > >> and you should find what your looking for

    > > am running KDE, i see no blue cube, is there any where i can access
    > > that setting?

    > sorry i read your question wrong
    > *how can i use compiz fusion but still be using kwin as my window
    > *manager? is this possible?
    >
    > you can't do that
    >
    > but i think you might be saying you want to use compiz-fusion with
    > the kde window decorator.
    >
    > did you take a look at the web site?

    Ok i switched back to compiz and the window specific rule is set for
    firefox is working now, thank you issue has been resolved.

  8. Re: Use kwin as window manager

    Sindhu wrote:

    > On Aug 26, 4:28*pm, darklight wrote:
    >> Sindhu wrote:

    hearhttp://www.howtoforge.com/compiz-fusion-on-mandriva2008.1-gnome-nvidia

    >> > am running KDE, i see no blue cube, is there any where i can access
    >> > that setting?

    >> sorry i read your question wrong
    >> how can i use compiz fusion but still be using kwin as my window
    >> manager? is this possible?
    >>
    >> you can't do that
    >>
    >> but i think you might be saying you want to use compiz-fusion with
    >> the kde window decorator.
    >>
    >> did you take a look at the web site?

    > I took at the link provided but i also googled and found >http://
    > wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Decorators/KDEWindowDecorator
    >
    > and it advised me to do a "kde-window-decorator --replace" which i
    > did, via console and all was good but i had to close the console and i
    > was left with windows with no borders/titlebars etc... what do i do?

    have you got emerald install or "gkt or is that gtk" you might want to try
    those. if not

    go here and get fusion icon and install
    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat...oarch.rpm.html

+ Reply to Thread