Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot - Mandriva ; Mandriva Free 2008.1 (x86_64) zsh (newb) Hi, I need to set up an internet connection that uses PPPoE (with user name and password) in Mandriva One Spring KDE for a friend. I have tried using "create new connection" and choosing ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

  1. Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    Mandriva Free 2008.1 (x86_64)
    zsh
    (newb)

    Hi,

    I need to set up an internet connection that uses PPPoE (with user name
    and password) in Mandriva One Spring KDE for a friend.

    I have tried using "create new connection" and choosing "DSL", etc.; but
    I can't seem to make it work in a stable manner.

    It worked once yesterday, and upon reboot, no longer works.

    It looks like the system wants to connect to the Internet automatically
    via the LAN (but it can't as the PPPoE is not set up on the default LAN
    connection that comes out of the box).

    What do I need to do so that when my friend (complete newbie) boots into
    Mandriva One, it smoothly and automatically connects to the internet
    using PPPoE?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 21:03:35 -0400, stef wrote:

    > It worked once yesterday, and upon reboot, no longer works.
    > It looks like the system wants to connect to the Internet automatically
    > via the LAN (but it can't as the PPPoE is not set up on the default LAN
    > connection that comes out of the box).

    I gather you have two ethernet interfaces in the system. One connected to
    the DSL modem/router, and one connected to a LAN router.

    Sounds like the interface used for the LAN has been defined as a device
    used to connect to the internet, and is therefore being assigned the
    gateway option.

    I haven't used PPPoe yet, so probably won't be able to help, but I would
    suggest using Bit Twister's script from
    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.os...55bfc62c7bf7a?
    to extract the info about your current networking setup, and posting back
    the question, with the output from that script.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 00:05:25 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 21:03:35 -0400, stef wrote:
    >
    >> It worked once yesterday, and upon reboot, no longer works. It looks
    >> like the system wants to connect to the Internet automatically via the
    >> LAN (but it can't as the PPPoE is not set up on the default LAN
    >> connection that comes out of the box).

    > I gather you have two ethernet interfaces in the system. One connected
    > to the DSL modem/router, and one connected to a LAN router.
    >
    > Sounds like the interface used for the LAN has been defined as a device
    > used to connect to the internet, and is therefore being assigned the
    > gateway option.
    >
    > I haven't used PPPoe yet, so probably won't be able to help, but I would
    > suggest using Bit Twister's script from
    > http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.os.linux.mandriva/

    msg/09955bfc62c7bf7a?
    > to extract the info about your current networking setup, and posting
    > back the question, with the output from that script.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Dave,
    You're absolutely correct I believe re. the LAN defined as the automtic
    device to connect ot Internet. Since it is already being used to
    "connect". there is no "room" for the PPPoE connection I created.....

  4. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 00:05:25 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 00:05:25 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 21:03:35 -0400, stef wrote:
    >
    >> It worked once yesterday, and upon reboot, no longer works. It looks
    >> like the system wants to connect to the Internet automatically via the
    >> LAN (but it can't as the PPPoE is not set up on the default LAN
    >> connection that comes out of the box).

    > I gather you have two ethernet interfaces in the system. One connected
    > to the DSL modem/router, and one connected to a LAN router.
    >
    > Sounds like the interface used for the LAN has been defined as a device
    > used to connect to the internet, and is therefore being assigned the
    > gateway option.
    >
    > I haven't used PPPoe yet, so probably won't be able to help, but I would
    > suggest using Bit Twister's script from
    > http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.os.linux.mandriva/

    msg/09955bfc62c7bf7a?
    > to extract the info about your current networking setup, and posting
    > back the question, with the output from that script.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    It does seem a bit complex having to use the script when probably all is
    needed is the steps (procedure) to disable the default (out of the box)
    LAN connection and create and enable the PPPoE as default and
    automatic....

    BTW, no routeur on this connection; only the DSL modem.

  5. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:28:50 +0000 (UTC), stef wrote:

    > It does seem a bit complex having to use the script when probably all is
    > needed is the steps (procedure) to disable the default (out of the box)
    > LAN connection and create and enable the PPPoE as default and
    > automatic....

    I think what Dave Hodgins was saying was run the script found at
    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.os...55bfc62c7bf7a?

    That would dump your network settings so we could look to see what you
    have defined.

    I would think you should be able to have the LAN machines talk through
    your system connected to your dsl modem/router.

  6. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:30:20 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:28:50 +0000 (UTC), stef wrote:
    >
    >> It does seem a bit complex having to use the script when probably all
    >> is needed is the steps (procedure) to disable the default (out of the
    >> box) LAN connection and create and enable the PPPoE as default and
    >> automatic....

    > I think what Dave Hodgins was saying was run the script found at
    > http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.os.linux.mandriva/

    msg/09955bfc62c7bf7a?

    > That would dump your network settings so we could look to see what you
    > have defined.
    >
    > I would think you should be able to have the LAN machines talk through
    > your system connected to your dsl modem/router.

    My friend's system is at a completely different location, not on any LAN.

    He is a complete newbie and I won't ask him to setup ssh, etc., so I can
    connet, etc.

    If there is an *easy* way for me to have him just boot Mandriva One and
    very easily quickly do something that will let me logon to his machine
    and do what I need to do, great; otherwise I am stuck at the moment,
    until I can find the time to visit him physically.

    In the meantmime, why always seek the most complicated way to go about
    resolving problems?

    Surely, there are knowledgeable people here that can tell me what
    procedure (step by step) I need to follow to setup PPPoE to automatically
    connect on boot, on a direct connection to internet vis DSL modem.

    That does not sound too difficult for someone already familiar with the
    subject.

  7. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:56:20 +0000 (UTC), stef wrote:

    > My friend's system is at a completely different location, not on any LAN.

    Just a simple computer to dls router is nice to know.
    Would be much more helpful would be the vendor and model of the dsl box.

    > He is a complete newbie and I won't ask him to setup ssh, etc., so I can
    > connet, etc.

    Should not be hard to just install sshd via Mandriva Package Manager.
    and add
    ACCEPT net:your_ip_addy_here all tcp ssh
    to /etc/shorewall/rules.
    service shorewall restart
    service sshd restart

    Then he creates an account for you to log into on his system.
    There you "su - root" and start hacking away.

    That assumes DSL is setup to allow ssh connections. :-)

    > If there is an *easy* way for me to have him just boot Mandriva One and
    > very easily quickly do something that will let me logon to his machine
    > and do what I need to do, great; otherwise I am stuck at the moment,
    > until I can find the time to visit him physically.

    See above. Another solution, both of you go to http://www.skype.com/
    Click download
    click up a terminal
    su - root

    urpmi /wherever/downloaded/skype-2.0.0.72-mdv.i586.rpm
    exit

    skype

    register for a free new account.
    You two email each other with your skype login account name and
    agreement on what time you will be skypeing him,
    and you can use chat feature to send commands/results to each other.
    If both have a mic, you can talk over the internet.

    Of course, your trying to get the connection working so all the above
    is kinda moot.

    > In the meantmime, why always seek the most complicated way to go about
    > resolving problems?

    Networking problems can be complicated and the script has a bunch of
    logic to dump information from different kinds of Distributions.
    Blindly trying to guess solutions is not productive.

    Another benefit of the dump is possible of features needing to be
    enabled/disabled and repair of common newbie mistakes which can be
    corrected which head of other problems.

    > Surely, there are knowledgeable people here that can tell me what
    > procedure (step by step) I need to follow to setup PPPoE to automatically
    > connect on boot, on a direct connection to internet vis DSL modem.
    >
    > That does not sound too difficult for someone already familiar with the
    > subject.

    Depends on the vendor/model of the DSL modem.

    If it is an Ethernet connection and DSL modem hands out a 192.168.1.x
    type of ip address, I'll guess someone picked something other than LAN
    type of connection. Usual second newbie mistake.

    Read the last 4 lines of this post, I'll wait . . . . . . . . . . . .

    In that case, delete the connection in the Network section of the
    Mandriva Control Center, create new connection, select LAN, pick the
    correct nic going to modem, On Boot and Automatic/dynamic/dhcp and it
    should work with no problems.

    --
    The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
    Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

  8. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:04:52 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    Most of the advice is trumped because no internet connection for him.

    > If it is an Ethernet connection and DSL modem hands out a 192.168.1.x
    > type of ip address, I'll guess someone picked something other than LAN
    > type of connection. Usual second newbie mistake.

    Yes, I picked DSL--I'm the newbie as well I guess.

    So I should NOT have done that but just modified the LAN connection?

    > Read the last 4 lines of this post, I'll wait . . . . . . . . . . . .
    >
    > In that case, delete the connection in the Network section of the
    > Mandriva Control Center, create new connection, select LAN, pick the
    > correct nic going to modem, On Boot and Automatic/dynamic/dhcp and it
    > should work with no problems.

    I tried that and it worked once; but stopped working upon reboot,
    probably because there are now 2 connections trying to connect on boot:
    LAN and DSL.

    SO I should delete the DSL, and modify the LAN which seems to be what you

  9. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:29:00 +0000, stef wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:04:52 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    > Most of the advice is trumped because no internet connection for him.
    >>
    >> If it is an Ethernet connection and DSL modem hands out a 192.168.1.x
    >> type of ip address, I'll guess someone picked something other than LAN
    >> type of connection. Usual second newbie mistake.
    >>

    > Yes, I picked DSL--I'm the newbie as well I guess.
    >
    > So I should NOT have done that but just modified the LAN connection?
    >
    >> Read the last 4 lines of this post, I'll wait . . . . . . . . . . . .
    >>
    >> In that case, delete the connection in the Network section of the
    >> Mandriva Control Center, create new connection, select LAN, pick the
    >> correct nic going to modem, On Boot and Automatic/dynamic/dhcp and it
    >> should work with no problems.

    > I tried that and it worked once; but stopped working upon reboot,
    > probably because there are now 2 connections trying to connect on boot:
    > LAN and DSL.
    >
    > SO I should delete the DSL, and modify the LAN which seems to be what
    > you

    Sorry, problems posting through motzarella....

    I was going to end by "So I should delete the DSL connection I created,
    and modify LAN."

    BUT re-reading your post, you are saying delelte the DSL connection,
    create new connection and choose LAN, etc.

    Will that not leave the other out-of the-box LAN connection active as
    well and now both connections will be competing (and creating problems)?

  10. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:29:00 +0000 (UTC), stef wrote:
    >> Bit Twister

    > Yes, I picked DSL--I'm the newbie as well I guess.
    >
    > So I should NOT have done that

    You might have been right. I am just taking a WAG on what is going on.
    If the modem does not issue dhcp leases in the 192.168.x.x range my
    WAG would be wrong and you would be right.

    > but just modified the LAN connection?

    I dislike that statement. Makes me assume something which is not so.

    >> In that case, delete the connection in the Network section of the
    >> Mandriva Control Center, create new connection, select LAN, pick the
    >> correct nic going to modem, On Boot and Automatic/dynamic/dhcp and it
    >> should work with no problems.

    > I tried that and it worked once; but stopped working upon reboot,
    > probably because there are now 2 connections trying to connect on boot:
    > LAN and DSL.

    See, a dump of settings would show us that problem.

    > SO I should delete the DSL, and modify the LAN which seems to be what you

    Well, I did say Delete the connection then create the new LAN connection.

    Having a little experience with the Modification feature, I will say it
    again, delete the connection(s), create the new one.

  11. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:33:23 +0000 (UTC), stef wrote:

    > Sorry, problems posting through motzarella....

    Half a reply sounds more like a lose connecting between keyboard and chair. :-D

    > BUT re-reading your post, you are saying delelte the DSL connection,
    > create new connection and choose LAN, etc.
    >
    > Will that not leave the other out-of the-box LAN connection active as
    > well and now both connections will be competing (and creating problems)?

    Now that you have not followed instructions, you will need to delete
    all network connections, create only the connection to the modem.

    Again, assuming modem hands out dhcp leases in the 192.168.x.x range.

  12. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:43:21 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    >> Will that not leave the other out-of the-box LAN connection active as
    >> well and now both connections will be competing (and creating
    >> problems)?

    > Now that you have not followed instructions, you will need to delete all
    > network connections, create only the connection to the modem.

    Cool off; I haven't done anything yet.... just trying to understand WHAT
    to do.

    so I will delete 1) the DSL connection I created a couple of days ago. 2)
    I will delete the LAN connection automatically created upon default
    install. 3) I will create new LAN connection and insert the parameters
    there with PPPoE, user name and password, and connect automatically on
    boot.

    Correct?

    > Again, assuming modem hands out dhcp leases in the 192.168.x.x range.

    Yes, it does give DHCP assigned address in that range.

  13. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:11:53 +0000 (UTC), stef wrote:

    > Cool off;

    Been doing that since I just came in from mowing the lawn. :-)

    > I haven't done anything yet.... just trying to understand WHAT
    > to do.

    You were talking like you did because reboot did not work.

    > so I will delete 1) the DSL connection I created a couple of days ago. 2)
    > I will delete the LAN connection automatically created upon default
    > install. 3) I will create new LAN connection and insert the parameters
    > there with PPPoE, user name and password, and connect automatically on
    > boot.

    See, now I am confused, for a NATting DLS modem handing out DHCP leases,
    I assumed a LAN connection would not need ID/PW or PPoE parameters for
    connection.

    Why not provide the Vendor and model of the DSL modem, so we can see
    if we can find a user manual to read.

  14. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:36:47 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    >> so I will delete 1) the DSL connection I created a couple of days ago.
    >> 2) I will delete the LAN connection automatically created upon default
    >> install. 3) I will create new LAN connection and insert the parameters
    >> there with PPPoE, user name and password, and connect automatically on
    >> boot.

    > See, now I am confused, for a NATting DLS modem handing out DHCP leases,
    > I assumed a LAN connection would not need ID/PW or PPoE parameters for
    > connection.

    It definitely does need ID/PW.

    > Why not provide the Vendor and model of the DSL modem, so we can see if
    > we can find a user manual to read.

    Because I don't frigging now as I am not at my friend's location and he
    is unavailable....

    But that does not matter--I was able to connect a couple of days ago so
    it is not on the modem side, but on the Mandriva side that I need help....

  15. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:45:14 +0000 (UTC), stef wrote:

    > It definitely does need ID/PW.

    Is that from the prompts you had to enter in MCC or you had the
    installer documentation in your hand which indicates ID/PW for the connection?
    Not ID/PW required for router web page access!

    >> Why not provide the Vendor and model of the DSL modem, so we can see if
    >> we can find a user manual to read.

    > Because I don't frigging now as I am not at my friend's location and he
    > is unavailable....

    Hey, cool down. :-)

    No hurry, I should be here tomorrow, send him an email.

    > But that does not matter--I was able to connect a couple of days ago so
    > it is not on the modem side, but on the Mandriva side that I need help....

    So you are telling us, Mandriva works on an off, or works with doze
    and not at all with Mandriva.

    Is the problem, you power up the modem and computer and Mandriva will
    not connect.

    Or, connection works on doze, you switch to Mandriva and it will not connect.

    Or, Modem is up before powering up Mandriva and it does not work.

    Or, connection comes and goes on Mandriva.

    Or, you have to bounce the nic to get the connection.

    Your original post indicated it worked once and has not worked again.

    That would seem to indicate hardware problem at first guess.

  16. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    Em Segunda, 25 de Agosto de 2008 02:03, stef escreveu:

    > Mandriva Free 2008.1 (x86_64)
    > zsh
    > (newb)
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need to set up an internet connection that uses PPPoE (with user name
    > and password) in Mandriva One Spring KDE for a friend.
    >
    > I have tried using "create new connection" and choosing "DSL", etc.; but
    > I can't seem to make it work in a stable manner.
    >
    > It worked once yesterday, and upon reboot, no longer works.
    >
    > It looks like the system wants to connect to the Internet automatically
    > via the LAN (but it can't as the PPPoE is not set up on the default LAN
    > connection that comes out of the box).
    >
    > What do I need to do so that when my friend (complete newbie) boots into
    > Mandriva One, it smoothly and automatically connects to the internet
    > using PPPoE?
    >
    > Thanks.

    There are at least 4 types of adsl modens, descrive yours:

    --is it usb connected without it's own power source?
    --is it usb connected with it's own power source?
    --is it asdl to lan working as a gateway?
    --is if adsl to lan working as a bridge?

    give us what kind of modem you have, and we will tell you if what you want
    is feasible...

  17. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:53:54 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:45:14 +0000 (UTC), stef wrote:
    >
    >> It definitely does need ID/PW.

    > Is that from the prompts you had to enter in MCC or you had the
    > installer documentation in your hand which indicates ID/PW for the
    > connection? Not ID/PW required for router web page access!
    >

    >>> Why not provide the Vendor and model of the DSL modem, so we can see
    >>> if we can find a user manual to read.

    >> Because I don't frigging now as I am not at my friend's location and he
    >> is unavailable....

    > Hey, cool down. :-)
    >
    > No hurry, I should be here tomorrow, send him an email.
    >
    >> But that does not matter--I was able to connect a couple of days ago so
    >> it is not on the modem side, but on the Mandriva side that I need
    >> help....

    > So you are telling us, Mandriva works on an off, or works with doze and
    > not at all with Mandriva.
    >
    > Is the problem, you power up the modem and computer and Mandriva will
    > not connect.
    >
    > Or, connection works on doze, you switch to Mandriva and it will not
    > connect.
    >
    > Or, Modem is up before powering up Mandriva and it does not work.
    >
    > Or, connection comes and goes on Mandriva.
    >
    > Or, you have to bounce the nic to get the connection.
    >
    > Your original post indicated it worked once and has not worked again.
    >
    > That would seem to indicate hardware problem at first guess.

    Forget it, BT. We're not on the same page here.

  18. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:17:44 +0100, ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Em Segunda, 25 de Agosto de 2008 02:03, stef escreveu:
    >
    >> Mandriva Free 2008.1 (x86_64)
    >> zsh
    >> (newb)
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I need to set up an internet connection that uses PPPoE (with user name
    >> and password) in Mandriva One Spring KDE for a friend.
    >>
    >> I have tried using "create new connection" and choosing "DSL", etc.;
    >> but I can't seem to make it work in a stable manner.
    >>
    >> It worked once yesterday, and upon reboot, no longer works.
    >>
    >> It looks like the system wants to connect to the Internet automatically
    >> via the LAN (but it can't as the PPPoE is not set up on the default LAN
    >> connection that comes out of the box).
    >>
    >> What do I need to do so that when my friend (complete newbie) boots
    >> into Mandriva One, it smoothly and automatically connects to the
    >> internet using PPPoE?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > There are at least 4 types of adsl modens, descrive yours:
    >
    > --is it usb connected without it's own power source? --is it usb
    > connected with it's own power source? --is it asdl to lan working as a
    > gateway? --is if adsl to lan working as a bridge?
    >
    > give us what kind of modem you have, and we will tell you if what you
    > want is feasible...

    usb connected with its own power source.
    (Not ADSL to LAN)

  19. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:29:08 +0000, stef wrote:

    >> give us what kind of modem you have, and we will tell you if what you
    >> want is feasible...

    > usb connected with its own power source. (Not ADSL to LAN)

    You're about as big a *clueless ***** as we've seen in these parts in
    quite a while.

    Bugger off, dickmunch.

  20. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    Em Segunda, 25 de Agosto de 2008 22:29, stef escreveu:

    >> give us what kind of modem you have, and we will tell you if what you
    >> want is feasible...

    > usb connected with its own power source.
    > (Not ADSL to LAN)

    ok... in mandriva control center, while setting a new network interface,
    choosing DSL, is your modem allready avaiable there?

    you sayd:
    ""
    It looks like the system wants to connect to the Internet automatically
    via the LAN (but it can't as the PPPoE is not set up on the default LAN
    connection that comes out of the box).""

    in mandriva control center, remove any LAN connections you might have
    configured there (except if you are using other LAN connection besides your
    modem), if that is so, remember that you can only have one default gateway
    and that will be your internet conection.

    then set a new dsl connection with pppoe protocol using the device that is
    in fact your modem... if your modem is not avaiable them you have first to
    find drivers/firmware/whatever for it, and that it will stongly depend on
    what controler chip does your modem have.

    this might work or might not. you see, usb adsl modems have a huge problem:
    sometimes they take too long while negociating the primary connection to
    your isp, and the system gives up on waiting for the modem when booting
    up... this is why those modems (in windows) never do auto-login during
    bootup, and you need to wait until they are ready (looking at it's leds for
    example) and start the login manually using a program...
    that kind of program also exists in linux, in my country we also use pppoe
    and not pppoa, all the adsl usb modems i've setup until now i did had to
    use the program "tkpppoe" to do the login, it is started as root the 1st
    time to set username/password/etc, and them started as normal user after. i
    say this because, from my experience, auto-logins don't work fine with
    adsl-usb modems... but if you get a adsl-lan modem them you can use auto
    login without problems... configurations would be diferent also.

    best regards
    ArameFarpado

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast