Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot - Mandriva ; stef wrote: > I need to set up an internet connection that uses PPPoE (with user name > and password) in Mandriva One Spring KDE for a friend. Stef, As you may be starting to recognize, networking can get a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    stef wrote:
    > I need to set up an internet connection that uses PPPoE (with user name
    > and password) in Mandriva One Spring KDE for a friend.

    Stef,

    As you may be starting to recognize, networking can get a bit
    complicated. If you do not provide the data requested (use
    BitTwisters script), we cannot know what exactly is in use,
    how. People can guess, and maybe guess right, but all you
    are doing at the moment is playing one end of 20 questions...

    My first question is, exactly what make/model is your "modem."
    It may or may not be precisely a modem. It may have a router
    function as well, and this makes a huge difference in how to
    set up the computer.

    If the "modem" is nothing but a modem, the nature of the link
    between computer and modem is critical. If it includes a
    router function (and my guess is it probably does), the login
    id and password are stored in the "modem" and must be either
    set there (the easy way) or you have to disable the routing
    function and set things up in the computer.

    The nature of the "modem" likewise determines if the "modem"
    will hand out a local address in the 192.168.x.x range, and
    whether you can access the "modem" using a browser and a
    standard password that will be listed in the manual for the
    thing.

    So, either provide data critical to diagnosing the problem,
    or put your problem where the sun does not shine and sit on
    it. There are some very knowledgable people on this forum
    that will do their best to help you, but your lack of
    cooperation is not helping and your attitude suggest you do
    not know enough to know what needs to be done, much less how
    to do it.

    And yes, Micro$loth will provide an OS that will allow you
    (and anyone else) to do all sorts of things with your
    machine quite easily and without knowing anything beyond
    plug it in and turn it on. If that makes you happy, go
    for it!

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  2. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:58:28 +0100, ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Em Segunda, 25 de Agosto de 2008 22:29, stef escreveu:
    >

    >>> give us what kind of modem you have, and we will tell you if what you
    >>> want is feasible...

    >> usb connected with its own power source. (Not ADSL to LAN)

    > ok... in mandriva control center, while setting a new network interface,
    > choosing DSL, is your modem allready avaiable there?
    >
    > you sayd:
    > ""
    > It looks like the system wants to connect to the Internet automatically
    > via the LAN (but it can't as the PPPoE is not set up on the default LAN
    > connection that comes out of the box).""
    >
    > in mandriva control center, remove any LAN connections you might have
    > configured there (except if you are using other LAN connection besides
    > your modem), if that is so, remember that you can only have one default
    > gateway and that will be your internet conection.
    >
    > then set a new dsl connection with pppoe protocol using the device that
    > is in fact your modem... if your modem is not avaiable them you have
    > first to find drivers/firmware/whatever for it, and that it will stongly
    > depend on what controler chip does your modem have.
    >
    > this might work or might not. you see, usb adsl modems have a huge
    > problem: sometimes they take too long while negociating the primary
    > connection to your isp, and the system gives up on waiting for the modem
    > when booting up... this is why those modems (in windows) never do
    > auto-login during bootup, and you need to wait until they are ready
    > (looking at it's leds for example) and start the login manually using a
    > program... that kind of program also exists in linux, in my country we
    > also use pppoe and not pppoa, all the adsl usb modems i've setup until
    > now i did had to use the program "tkpppoe" to do the login, it is
    > started as root the 1st time to set username/password/etc, and them
    > started as normal user after. i say this because, from my experience,
    > auto-logins don't work fine with adsl-usb modems... but if you get a
    > adsl-lan modem them you can use auto login without problems...
    > configurations would be diferent also.
    >

    > best regards
    > ArameFarpado

    Thanks.

    At last, helpful information.

    I understand what you are saying. I do not remember whether the USB modem
    appears in the MCC as a device or not; but I do remember that the
    connection did longin once at least so it should be OK.

    I think I do need to delete the LAN connection, and perhaps setup the DSL
    connection NOT to connect automatically at boot but let the user connect
    himself.

    Perhaps I should use the tkpppoe application? It does not look like it is
    in the Mandriva mirrors.

    Do you have a link to it?

    What about the applications rp-pppoe, rp-pppoe-gui that I believe some are
    using?

  3. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:48:13 -0400, Jim Beard wrote:

    > stef wrote:
    >> I need to set up an internet connection that uses PPPoE (with user name
    >> and password) in Mandriva One Spring KDE for a friend.

    > Stef,
    >
    > As you may be starting to recognize, networking can get a bit
    > complicated. If you do not provide the data requested (use BitTwisters
    > script), we cannot know what exactly is in use, how. People can guess,
    > and maybe guess right, but all you are doing at the moment is playing
    > one end of 20 questions...
    >
    > My first question is, exactly what make/model is your "modem." It may or
    > may not be precisely a modem. It may have a router function as well,
    > and this makes a huge difference in how to set up the computer.
    >
    > If the "modem" is nothing but a modem, the nature of the link between
    > computer and modem is critical. If it includes a router function (and
    > my guess is it probably does), the login id and password are stored in
    > the "modem" and must be either set there (the easy way) or you have to
    > disable the routing function and set things up in the computer.
    >
    > The nature of the "modem" likewise determines if the "modem" will hand
    > out a local address in the 192.168.x.x range, and whether you can access
    > the "modem" using a browser and a standard password that will be listed
    > in the manual for the thing.
    >
    > So, either provide data critical to diagnosing the problem, or put your
    > problem where the sun does not shine and sit on it. There are some very
    > knowledgable people on this forum that will do their best to help you,
    > but your lack of cooperation is not helping and your attitude suggest
    > you do not know enough to know what needs to be done, much less how to
    > do it.
    >
    > And yes, Micro$loth will provide an OS that will allow you (and anyone
    > else) to do all sorts of things with your machine quite easily and
    > without knowing anything beyond plug it in and turn it on. If that
    > makes you happy, go for it!
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Jim,

    I understand what you are saying.

    But unfortunately, I am NOT at the user's location, he is unavailable and
    I have no access to the info.

    And, I need to get a solution going quickly that will need to be
    implemented under time pressure, once the user is back. That is what I
    have to work with.

    I realize there are plenty of users here that are experts. Sometimes,
    that can work in reverse--as these users look 1st for complex solutions as
    opposed to simple ones; and also fail to remember what it was like when
    they got started with Linux.

    On the other hand, there are other users who do understand that and
    provide help at the level of the person asking, etc.

    To me it's not a matter of how complicated one can be; but how simple one
    can be in finding a solution and/or providing helpful info, without a
    chip on one's shoulder. That is all.

    But back to the issue at hand: if I cannot resolve it, I will post more
    details as to make of modem, etc.; when I can have access to the user's
    machine or get him on the phone to give me the data, etc.

    Thanks.

  4. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    Em Terça, 26 de Agosto de 2008 10:36, stef escreveu:

    > Perhaps I should use the tkpppoe application? It does not look like it is
    > in the Mandriva mirrors.
    >
    > Do you have a link to it?

    i'll check this latter... wait for my reply

    meanwhile, goto to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    and set all repositories:
    main
    contrib
    non-free
    plf-free
    plf-nonfree
    (and all it's updates)

    then check if tkpppoe is still missing

    > What about the applications rp-pppoe, rp-pppoe-gui that I believe some are
    > using?

    don't know those ones... try rp-pppoe-gui

    ArameFarpado

  5. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    Em Terça, 26 de Agosto de 2008 13:23, ArameFarpado escreveu:

    > Em Terça, 26 de Agosto de 2008 10:36, stef escreveu:
    >

    >> Perhaps I should use the tkpppoe application? It does not look like it
    >> is in the Mandriva mirrors.
    >>
    >> Do you have a link to it?

    > i'll check this latter... wait for my reply

    well, looks like the program doesn't exist anymore in mandriva 2008.1, you
    can try get it's rpm from mandriva 2007 repositories or

    http://roaringpenguin.luky.org/pppoe/#download

    get it from it's homepage

  6. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    Em Terça, 26 de Agosto de 2008 18:01, ArameFarpado escreveu:

    > well, looks like the program doesn't exist anymore in mandriva 2008.1, you
    > can try get it's rpm from mandriva 2007 repositories or
    >
    > http://roaringpenguin.luky.org/pppoe/#download
    >
    > get it from it's homepage

    Ohhhh, ignore this latest post...

    the "tkpppoe" program is still avaiable in mandriva 2008.1 after all,
    you just need to install the "rp-pppoe-gui" rpm and it's dependencies.

    regards
    ArameFarpado

  7. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    stef wrote:
    > I understand what you are saying.
    >
    > But unfortunately, I am NOT at the user's location, he is unavailable and
    > I have no access to the info.

    OK, I am not the expert on PPPoE, but I have used it, and PPP before
    that, and with the information you have given I could only make a
    wild guess at what you need to do to make the system work. Too
    little information.

    I suspect, repeat suspect, that the modem is handing out DHCP
    addresses. If it is, it has a router function. Connect to the modem
    as a LAN connection using ethernet, and put the login and password
    for the ISP in the modem/router.

    But I would need to know what make and model of "modem" is in use
    to say more.

    If the thing really is a pure modem you have a different kettle of
    fish altogether, and the nature of that kettle depends precisely on
    the make and model of the modem. Without that knowledge, it might
    be possible to do a brute force attempt to connect by any means
    available (and Micro$loth has software that will do this efficiently)
    but I know nothing about how to make Zeroconfig work under Linux
    as I (and most Linix users) consider it a abomination, and an open
    invitation to spammers and 'botnet operators to assume ownership
    of your machine.

    'Nuff said?

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  8. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:01:38 +0100, ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Em Terça, 26 de Agosto de 2008 13:23, ArameFarpado escreveu:
    >
    >> Em Terça, 26 de Agosto de 2008 10:36, stef escreveu:
    >>

    >>> Perhaps I should use the tkpppoe application? It does not look like
    >>> it is in the Mandriva mirrors.
    >>>
    >>> Do you have a link to it?

    >> i'll check this latter... wait for my reply

    > well, looks like the program doesn't exist anymore in mandriva 2008.1,
    > you can try get it's rpm from mandriva 2007 repositories or
    >
    > http://roaringpenguin.luky.org/pppoe/#download
    >
    > get it from it's homepage

    Actually, I believe it comes as part of the rp-pppoe package now....

  9. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:10:12 +0100, ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Ohhhh, ignore this latest post...
    >
    > the "tkpppoe" program is still avaiable in mandriva 2008.1 after all,
    > you just need to install the "rp-pppoe-gui" rpm and it's dependencies.
    >

    > regards
    > ArameFarpado

    Our post just crossed with same conclusion....

  10. Re: Setting up automatic PPPoE Internet connection upon boot

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:55:02 -0400, Jim Beard wrote:

    > stef wrote:
    >> I understand what you are saying.
    >>
    >> But unfortunately, I am NOT at the user's location, he is unavailable
    >> and I have no access to the info.

    > OK, I am not the expert on PPPoE, but I have used it, and PPP before
    > that, and with the information you have given I could only make a wild
    > guess at what you need to do to make the system work. Too little
    > information.
    >
    > I suspect, repeat suspect, that the modem is handing out DHCP addresses.
    > If it is, it has a router function. Connect to the modem as a LAN
    > connection using ethernet, and put the login and password for the ISP in
    > the modem/router.

    Yes, correct. DHCP address.

    > But I would need to know what make and model of "modem" is in use to say
    > more.
    >
    > If the thing really is a pure modem you have a different kettle of fish
    > altogether, and the nature of that kettle depends precisely on the make
    > and model of the modem. Without that knowledge, it might be possible to
    > do a brute force attempt to connect by any means available (and
    > Micro$loth has software that will do this efficiently) but I know
    > nothing about how to make Zeroconfig work under Linux as I (and most
    > Linix users) consider it a abomination, and an open invitation to
    > spammers and 'botnet operators to assume ownership of your machine.
    >
    > 'Nuff said?
    >
    > jim b.

    Let me try to get more info on the modem, etc. and come back here as sonn
    as I have it.

    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2