Failure to boot Mandriva One on an EDEE - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Failure to boot Mandriva One on an EDEE - Mandriva ; I have been trying to get Mandriva One to boot on an EEE PC901. I first tried a copy taken from a Linux Format cover disk on September 2008 issue LXFDVD109. That crashed part way through. I later downloaded a ...

  1. Failure to boot Mandriva One on an EDEE

    I have been trying to get Mandriva One to boot on an EEE PC901.
    I first tried a copy taken from a Linux Format cover disk on September 2008
    issue LXFDVD109. That crashed part way through. I later downloaded a copy
    from:
    http://mandriva.dcc.fc.up.pt/official/iso/2008.1/

    The version copied was:

    mandriva-linux-one-2008-spring-KDE-int-cdrom-i586.iso

    That too crashed. The screen text could not be saved but I copied a much as
    I could and reproduce it below. Yet I was able to boot from it n my desktop
    and even got Kaffiene to display TV pictures within a few seconds.

    I then tried a copy from an earlier cover disc LXFDVD107 dated July 2008.
    That did come up but could connect by neither wired nor wireless Ethernet!

    I have since tried Fedora 9, Suse 11, Ubuntu 8.04 and Sabayon 3.5 Pod. All
    came up but could not handle wired or wireless connections.

    Linux Format claim that Mandriva One works straight out of the box, so I am
    very disappointed. I shall be doing some heavy travelling in a few months
    time and this seemed the ideal machine / os combination for the job. Here
    is the last part of the boot up log:

    All the attempts to run live distros was from a USB2.0 CD Drive. It gets so
    far scrolling its log up the screen and then ends with these lines:

    rmdir: '/intrd/live/union' : No such file or directory
    /bin/sh: cd: line 1: can't cd to /initrd/live
    mount: mounting bin on /live/bin failed
    rmdir: 'bin' : Directory not empty
    mount: mounting bin on /live/etc failed
    rmdir: 'dev' : Directory not empty
    mount: mounting bin on /live/dev failed
    rmdir: 'etc' : Directory not empty
    mount: mounting bin on /live/lib failed
    rmdir: 'lib' : Directory not empty
    mount: mounting linuxrc on /live/linuxrc failed
    rmdir: 'linuxrc' : Not a directory
    mount: mounting proc on /live/proc failed
    rmdir: 'live' : Directory not empty
    mount: mounting proc on /live/proc failed
    mount: mounting sys on /live/sys failed
    mount: mounting tmp on /live/tmp failed
    rmdir: 'tmp' : Directory not empty
    mount: mounting usr on /live/usr failed
    rmdir: 'usr' : Directory not empty
    rmdir: '/intrd/live' : No such file or directory
    mount: mounting /var/lib/rpm on /var/rpm/real failed
    mount: mounting /tmp/rpm/fake on /var/lib/rpm failed
    Freeing unused kernel memory: 288k freed
    init started: BusyBox v1.6.1 (2008-03-25 01:53:27 UTC) multi-call binary
    Cannot run '/etc/init.d/rcS' : No such file or directory

    Please press Enter to activate this console. sr0: scsi3=mmc drive 48xx48x
    writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
    Ubiform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20

    I would be delighted if a solution could be found.

  2. Re: Failure to boot Mandriva One on an EDEE

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > I have been trying to get Mandriva One to boot on an EEE PC901.

    > All the attempts to run live distros was from a USB2.0 CD Drive. It gets so
    > far scrolling its log up the screen and then ends with these lines:
    >
    > rmdir: '/intrd/live/union' : No such file or directory
    > /bin/sh: cd: line 1: can't cd to /initrd/live

    http://lordikc.free.fr/wordpress/?p=63#comments

    There has been some discussion of 2008.1 on the EEE at the Experts
    Forum, Mandriva website. I get these things e-mail and delete them,
    so no URL, but Google or search on the Mandriva website should
    turn up something.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Failure to boot Mandriva One on an EDEE

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >> I have been trying to get Mandriva One to boot on an EEE PC901.

    >> All the attempts to run live distros was from a USB2.0 CD Drive. It gets
    >> so far scrolling its log up the screen and then ends with these lines:
    >>
    >> rmdir: '/intrd/live/union' : No such file or directory
    >> /bin/sh: cd: line 1: can't cd to /initrd/live

    > http://lordikc.free.fr/wordpress/?p=63#comments
    >
    > There has been some discussion of 2008.1 on the EEE at the Experts
    > Forum, Mandriva website. I get these things e-mail and delete them,
    > so no URL, but Google or search on the Mandriva website should
    > turn up something.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Thank you. I would never found that! Regards, Alan

  4. Re: Failure to boot Mandriva One on an EDEE

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I have been trying to get Mandriva One to boot on an EEE PC901.
    > I first tried a copy taken from a Linux Format cover disk on September
    > 2008 issue LXFDVD109. That crashed part way through. I later downloaded a
    > copy from:
    > http://mandriva.dcc.fc.up.pt/official/iso/2008.1/
    >
    > The version copied was:
    >
    > mandriva-linux-one-2008-spring-KDE-int-cdrom-i586.iso
    >
    > That too crashed. The screen text could not be saved but I copied a much
    > as I could and reproduce it below. Yet I was able to boot from it n my
    > desktop and even got Kaffiene to display TV pictures within a few seconds.
    >
    > I then tried a copy from an earlier cover disc LXFDVD107 dated July 2008.
    > That did come up but could connect by neither wired nor wireless Ethernet!
    >
    > I have since tried Fedora 9, Suse 11, Ubuntu 8.04 and Sabayon 3.5 Pod. All
    > came up but could not handle wired or wireless connections.
    >
    > Linux Format claim that Mandriva One works straight out of the box, so I
    > am very disappointed. I shall be doing some heavy travelling in a few
    > months time and this seemed the ideal machine / os combination for the
    > job. Here is the last part of the boot up log:
    >
    > All the attempts to run live distros was from a USB2.0 CD Drive. It gets
    > so far scrolling its log up the screen and then ends with these lines:
    >
    > rmdir: '/intrd/live/union' : No such file or directory
    > /bin/sh: cd: line 1: can't cd to /initrd/live
    > mount: mounting bin on /live/bin failed
    > rmdir: 'bin' : Directory not empty
    > mount: mounting bin on /live/etc failed
    > rmdir: 'dev' : Directory not empty
    > mount: mounting bin on /live/dev failed
    > rmdir: 'etc' : Directory not empty
    > mount: mounting bin on /live/lib failed
    > rmdir: 'lib' : Directory not empty
    > mount: mounting linuxrc on /live/linuxrc failed
    > rmdir: 'linuxrc' : Not a directory
    > mount: mounting proc on /live/proc failed
    > rmdir: 'live' : Directory not empty
    > mount: mounting proc on /live/proc failed
    > mount: mounting sys on /live/sys failed
    > mount: mounting tmp on /live/tmp failed
    > rmdir: 'tmp' : Directory not empty
    > mount: mounting usr on /live/usr failed
    > rmdir: 'usr' : Directory not empty
    > rmdir: '/intrd/live' : No such file or directory
    > mount: mounting /var/lib/rpm on /var/rpm/real failed
    > mount: mounting /tmp/rpm/fake on /var/lib/rpm failed
    > init started: BusyBox v1.6.1 (2008-03-25 01:53:27 UTC) multi-call binary
    > Cannot run '/etc/init.d/rcS' : No such file or directory
    >
    > Please press Enter to activate this console. sr0: scsi3=mmc drive 48xx48x
    > writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
    > Ubiform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
    >
    > I would be delighted if a solution could be found.

    First, try to say hello.
    Second, check MD5 sums.

  5. Re: Failure to boot Mandriva One on an EDEE

    F8BOE wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> I have been trying to get Mandriva One to boot on an EEE PC901.
    >> I first tried a copy taken from a Linux Format cover disk on September
    >> 2008 issue LXFDVD109. That crashed part way through. I later downloaded a
    >> copy from:
    >> http://mandriva.dcc.fc.up.pt/official/iso/2008.1/
    >>
    >> The version copied was:
    >>
    >> mandriva-linux-one-2008-spring-KDE-int-cdrom-i586.iso
    >>
    >> That too crashed. The screen text could not be saved but I copied a much
    >> as I could and reproduce it below. Yet I was able to boot from it n my
    >> desktop and even got Kaffiene to display TV pictures within a few
    >> seconds.
    >>
    >> I then tried a copy from an earlier cover disc LXFDVD107 dated July 2008.
    >> That did come up but could connect by neither wired nor wireless
    >> Ethernet!
    >>
    >> I have since tried Fedora 9, Suse 11, Ubuntu 8.04 and Sabayon 3.5 Pod.
    >> All came up but could not handle wired or wireless connections.
    >>
    >> Linux Format claim that Mandriva One works straight out of the box, so I
    >> am very disappointed. I shall be doing some heavy travelling in a few
    >> months time and this seemed the ideal machine / os combination for the
    >> job. Here is the last part of the boot up log:
    >>
    >> All the attempts to run live distros was from a USB2.0 CD Drive. It gets
    >> so far scrolling its log up the screen and then ends with these lines:
    >>
    >> rmdir: '/intrd/live/union' : No such file or directory
    >> /bin/sh: cd: line 1: can't cd to /initrd/live
    >> mount: mounting bin on /live/bin failed
    >> rmdir: 'bin' : Directory not empty
    >> mount: mounting bin on /live/etc failed
    >> rmdir: 'dev' : Directory not empty
    >> mount: mounting bin on /live/dev failed
    >> rmdir: 'etc' : Directory not empty
    >> mount: mounting bin on /live/lib failed
    >> rmdir: 'lib' : Directory not empty
    >> mount: mounting linuxrc on /live/linuxrc failed
    >> rmdir: 'linuxrc' : Not a directory
    >> mount: mounting proc on /live/proc failed
    >> rmdir: 'live' : Directory not empty
    >> mount: mounting proc on /live/proc failed
    >> mount: mounting sys on /live/sys failed
    >> mount: mounting tmp on /live/tmp failed
    >> rmdir: 'tmp' : Directory not empty
    >> mount: mounting usr on /live/usr failed
    >> rmdir: 'usr' : Directory not empty
    >> rmdir: '/intrd/live' : No such file or directory
    >> mount: mounting /var/lib/rpm on /var/rpm/real failed
    >> mount: mounting /tmp/rpm/fake on /var/lib/rpm failed
    >> Freeing unused kernel memory: 288k freed
    >> init started: BusyBox v1.6.1 (2008-03-25 01:53:27 UTC) multi-call binary
    >> Cannot run '/etc/init.d/rcS' : No such file or directory
    >>
    >> Please press Enter to activate this console. sr0: scsi3=mmc drive 48xx48x
    >> writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
    >> Ubiform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
    >>
    >> I would be delighted if a solution could be found.

    > First, try to say hello.
    > Second, check MD5 sums.

    a) Hello
    b) I visually checked the MD5 checksum before burning.

    I have since tried Mandriva 2009 beta 2. That gives a different set of
    messages. Because there are no external links, I wasn't able to save them
    although I might be able to save the log to a pen drive if I can
    successfully mount it! I had trouble yesterday.

    I have the feeling that the problem may be memory related as a correspondent
    on thee EEE User blog claim to have installed beta 2 albeit with the usual
    bugs of a beta release.

    Regards, Alan

  6. Re: Failure to boot Mandriva One on an EDEE

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >> I have been trying to get Mandriva One to boot on an EEE PC901.

    >> All the attempts to run live distros was from a USB2.0 CD Drive. It gets
    >> so far scrolling its log up the screen and then ends with these lines:
    >>
    >> rmdir: '/intrd/live/union' : No such file or directory
    >> /bin/sh: cd: line 1: can't cd to /initrd/live

    > http://lordikc.free.fr/wordpress/?p=63#comments
    >
    > There has been some discussion of 2008.1 on the EEE at the Experts
    > Forum, Mandriva website. I get these things e-mail and delete them,
    > so no URL, but Google or search on the Mandriva website should
    > turn up something.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    I didn't find anything useful about 2008.1 on Google but I did find that I
    could download 2009 beta 2. I did and it came up on the EEE but of course
    this and that didn't work. My main concern was wireless access but as I am
    switching my Wi-Fi module from a RaLink one to a Gigabyte Atheros-chipped
    one it may even be O.K. KDE 4.1 looks really polished on it. I think this
    release will be very popular when it comes out.

    Alan

+ Reply to Thread