Internet time updating "Why is it so?" - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Internet time updating "Why is it so?" - Mandriva ; This is a "Why is it so?" type question. I update (off the internet) the time on my desktop running Mandriva, and my laptop running Vista. I use the same time server. However, Vista always shows a time 22 seconds ...

  1. Internet time updating "Why is it so?"

    This is a "Why is it so?" type question.

    I update (off the internet) the time on my desktop running Mandriva, and
    my laptop running Vista. I use the same time server.

    However, Vista always shows a time 22 seconds ahead of Mandriva! It
    doesn't matter how many times I update the two computer times, the time
    difference remains consistent.

    I would have thought both times should have been the same.

    The world is not going to end because of this oddity, it was just one of
    those intriguing oddities.

    Regards,
    Steve.

  2. Re: Internet time updating "Why is it so?"

    steve wrote:
    > This is a "Why is it so?" type question.
    > I update (off the internet) the time on my desktop running Mandriva, and
    > my laptop running Vista. I use the same time server.
    >
    > However, Vista always shows a time 22 seconds ahead of Mandriva! It
    > doesn't matter how many times I update the two computer times, the time
    > difference remains consistent.
    >
    > I would have thought both times should have been the same.

    Which one is correct? My crosscheck would be,

    http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/clock.html or
    http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Internet time updating "Why is it so?"

    steve writes:

    >This is a "Why is it so?" type question.

    >I update (off the internet) the time on my desktop running Mandriva, and
    >my laptop running Vista. I use the same time server.

    How do you "update off the internet" the time? Do you run ntp? what do you
    do? In both cases.

    >However, Vista always shows a time 22 seconds ahead of Mandriva! It
    >doesn't matter how many times I update the two computer times, the time
    >difference remains consistent.

    >I would have thought both times should have been the same.

    >The world is not going to end because of this oddity, it was just one of
    >those intriguing oddities.

    > Regards,
    > Steve.

  4. Re: Internet time updating "Why is it so?"

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 05:46:11 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > How do you "update off the internet" the time? Do you run ntp? what do you
    > do? In both cases.

    Man ntp.
    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

  5. Re: Internet time updating "Why is it so?"

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 05:46:11 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > steve writes:
    >
    >>This is a "Why is it so?" type question.

    >>I update (off the internet) the time on my desktop running Mandriva, and
    >>my laptop running Vista. I use the same time server.

    > How do you "update off the internet" the time? Do you run ntp? what do you
    > do? In both cases.

    I've used both ntpd and ntpdate with the same result.

    Using the info in Jim Beard's post, Vista is the correct time and Mandriva
    is slow.

    Regards

    Steve

  6. Re: Internet time updating "Why is it so?"

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 00:13:23 -0400, Jim Beard wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> This is a "Why is it so?" type question.
    >> I update (off the internet) the time on my desktop running Mandriva, and
    >> my laptop running Vista. I use the same time server.
    >>
    >> However, Vista always shows a time 22 seconds ahead of Mandriva! It
    >> doesn't matter how many times I update the two computer times, the time
    >> difference remains consistent.
    >>
    >> I would have thought both times should have been the same.

    > Which one is correct? My crosscheck would be,
    >
    > http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/clock.html or
    > http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Using your first URL Vista is the correct time and Mandriva the slow one.

    Regards

    Steve

  7. Re: Internet time updating "Why is it so?"

    steve wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 05:46:11 +0000, Unruh wrote:
    >
    >> steve writes:
    >>
    >>>This is a "Why is it so?" type question.

    >>>I update (off the internet) the time on my desktop running Mandriva, and
    >>>my laptop running Vista. I use the same time server.

    >> How do you "update off the internet" the time? Do you run ntp? what do
    >> you do? In both cases.

    > I've used both ntpd and ntpdate with the same result.
    >
    > Using the info in Jim Beard's post, Vista is the correct time and Mandriva
    > is slow.

    Crazy. On mandriva, after running ntpdate and starting the ntpd with proper
    conf (please post), what does "ntpq" and "p" for "peers" tell after a
    minute or so?
    I *assume* Mandriva picks up another ntp server on it's own, maybe from the
    dhcp info .... and that one might be wrong.

  8. Re: Internet time updating "Why is it so?"

    steve wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 00:13:23 -0400, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> steve wrote:
    >>> This is a "Why is it so?" type question.
    >>> I update (off the internet) the time on my desktop running Mandriva, and
    >>> my laptop running Vista. I use the same time server.
    >>>
    >>> However, Vista always shows a time 22 seconds ahead of Mandriva! It
    >>> doesn't matter how many times I update the two computer times, the time
    >>> difference remains consistent.
    >>>
    >>> I would have thought both times should have been the same.

    >> Which one is correct? My crosscheck would be,
    >>
    >> http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/clock.html or
    >> http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.

    > Using your first URL Vista is the correct time and Mandriva the slow one.

    Odd. My system's time is within 1 second of the crosscheck clock
    for both the above.

    Linux localhost 2.6.25.11-tmb-desktop-2mdv #1 SMP Mon Jul 21 08:03:02
    EDT 2008 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ GNU/Linux

    ntp-client-4.2.4-15mdv2008.1
    ntp-4.2.4-15mdv2008.1

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  9. Re: Internet time updating "Why is it so?"

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 09:45:47 -0400, steve wrote:

    > Using the info in Jim Beard's post, Vista is the correct time and Mandriva
    > is slow.

    If you run "ntpdate -b pool.ntp.org" (with the service ntpd stopped) several times
    in a row, what is it showing for the offset?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins