Monitor not optimal mode?? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Monitor not optimal mode?? - Mandriva ; Hi, I just downloaded the Mandriva-one Spring 2008 iso image and burnt it to a CD. It booted just fine, but after the mandriva splash screen, the screen went black with message in a box saying that the monitor mode ...

  1. Monitor not optimal mode??

    Hi,

    I just downloaded the Mandriva-one Spring 2008 iso image and burnt it to
    a CD. It booted just fine, but after the mandriva splash screen, the
    screen went black with message in a box saying that the monitor mode was
    not optimal. The box had a button in it with a question mark; but there
    was no way I could find to either press the button (no mouse) or get rid
    of the message. In the end I had to do a hard reset.

    It may well be that my monitor settings are not optimal. I wouldn't
    know, but everything works for openSUSE and Windows XP. So it can't be
    that critical.

    Does anyone know what's going on here and what I can do about it?

    Thanks in advance

    Peter

  2. Re: Monitor not optimal mode??

    Hello, Peter Bradley a écrit dans

    > I just downloaded the Mandriva-one Spring 2008 iso image and burnt it to
    > a CD. It booted just fine, but after the mandriva splash screen, the
    > screen went black with message in a box saying that the monitor mode was
    > not optimal. The box had a button in it with a question mark; but there
    > was no way I could find to either press the button (no mouse) or get rid
    > of the message.

    It should be an OSD message from the screen itself.
    --
    Pierre.

  3. Re: Monitor not optimal mode??

    Ysgrifennodd Pierre Pallier:
    > Hello, Peter Bradley a écrit dans
    >

    > It should be an OSD message from the screen itself.

    Thanks Pierre, but I'm afraid I don't really understand that. But I
    guess you're saying that it's the monitor and no Mandriva that's putting
    up the message.

    If so, does this mean I can't install Mandriva with this monitor?

    Thanks

    Peter

  4. Re: Monitor not optimal mode??

    Peter Bradley wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just downloaded the Mandriva-one Spring 2008 iso image and burnt it to
    > a CD. It booted just fine, but after the mandriva splash screen, the
    > screen went black with message in a box saying that the monitor mode was
    > not optimal. The box had a button in it with a question mark; but there
    > was no way I could find to either press the button (no mouse) or get rid
    > of the message. In the end I had to do a hard reset.
    >
    > It may well be that my monitor settings are not optimal. I wouldn't
    > know, but everything works for openSUSE and Windows XP. So it can't be
    > that critical.
    >
    > Does anyone know what's going on here and what I can do about it?

    Maybe your monitor/graphic driver combo can't get together using DDC. You'd
    have to start to non-gui mode (runlevel 3) first, run XFdrake (you may even
    need to search some monitor model from the list, if plug&pray won't work)
    to create a proper xorg.conf, and then startx or runlevel 5.
    The problem with a live cd is, you'd have to repeat every time you reboot.

  5. Re: Monitor not optimal mode??

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 22:33:53 +0100, Peter Bradley
    wrote:
    > Ysgrifennodd Pierre Pallier:
    >> Hello, Peter Bradley a écrit dans
    >>

    >> It should be an OSD message from the screen itself.

    > Thanks Pierre, but I'm afraid I don't really understand that. But I
    > guess you're saying that it's the monitor and no Mandriva that's putting
    > up the message.

    > If so, does this mean I can't install Mandriva with this monitor?

    Sure you can. Seems to have trouble at starting X, so try doing a text-only
    install. After boot starts press F1 and type 'text'(no quotes) at the prompt.

    Once you have the basic install done, type 'xfdrake' to configure X. If it
    returns 'command not found' then type 'urpmi draketools' to install what you
    need.

    Hope I remembered correctly, I don't use Mandriva much anymore.

    --
    Registered Linux user #266531

  6. Re: Monitor not optimal mode??

    Hello, Peter Bradley a écrit dans

    > Thanks Pierre, but I'm afraid I don't really understand that. But I
    > guess you're saying that it's the monitor and no Mandriva that's putting
    > up the message.

    Yes (excuse my poor English language), the message is sent by your monitor.

    > If so, does this mean I can't install Mandriva with this monitor?

    Not really. Your monitor is telling you something about a bad video mode
    (sometimes, il could be a 1024x768 mode running, not optimized for the
    native 1280x1024 resolution of an 19" TFT monitor).
    So, firstly you should see how to clear the OSD message of your monitor.

    After that, it could be a problem with the X server, but more technical
    details may help a lot (graphic card, especially).
    --
    Pierre.

  7. Re: Monitor not optimal mode??

    Ysgrifennodd wisdomkiller & pain:
    > Peter Bradley wrote:
    >
    > Maybe your monitor/graphic driver combo can't get together using DDC. You'd
    > have to start to non-gui mode (runlevel 3) first, run XFdrake (you may even
    > need to search some monitor model from the list, if plug&pray won't work)
    > to create a proper xorg.conf, and then startx or runlevel 5.
    > The problem with a live cd is, you'd have to repeat every time you reboot.

    Just to close this down.

    I installed Mandriva on another box (an eee PC to be exact) and it
    worked just fine.

    Thanks for the help and infos.

    Peter

+ Reply to Thread