Corrupt jpegs - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Corrupt jpegs - Mandriva ; My niece just got back from a school trip to Africa. While climbing a mountain, the altitude (apparently) damaged a fair number of digital cameras. Although I was able to recover all the files from the camera's XD card, about ...

  1. Corrupt jpegs

    My niece just got back from a school trip to Africa. While climbing a
    mountain, the altitude (apparently) damaged a fair number of digital
    cameras. Although I was able to recover all the files from the camera's XD
    card, about a third of the jpegs would not render in any program that I
    tried them on.

    Gimp says they are not jpegs because they start with, say 0x32 0x32. The
    values all vary from one another.

    Are there any Linux programs that can display or even edit corrupt jpegs?

  2. Re: Corrupt jpegs

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > My niece just got back from a school trip to Africa. While climbing a
    > mountain, the altitude (apparently) damaged a fair number of digital
    > cameras. Although I was able to recover all the files from the camera's XD
    > card, about a third of the jpegs would not render in any program that I
    > tried them on.
    >
    > Gimp says they are not jpegs because they start with, say 0x32 0x32. The
    > values all vary from one another.
    >
    > Are there any Linux programs that can display or even edit corrupt jpegs?

    Different apps have different tolerances for corruption.
    Try eog, kuickshow, gwenview, kview, and maybe any other
    image viewer available on your system.

    Good luck!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Corrupt jpegs

    > While climbing a mountain, the altitude (apparently) damaged a
    > fair number of digital cameras.

    never heard of such a thing...can you explain how you determined that
    as a possible cause??

    (sorry, don't have any potential answers to your question)

    DenverD

  4. Re: Corrupt jpegs

    DenverD wrote:

    >> While climbing a mountain, the altitude (apparently) damaged a
    >> fair number of digital cameras.

    > never heard of such a thing...can you explain how you determined that
    > as a possible cause??
    >
    > (sorry, don't have any potential answers to your question)
    >
    > DenverD

    Nor me for yours. Alan.

  5. Re: Corrupt jpegs

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >> My niece just got back from a school trip to Africa. While climbing a
    >> mountain, the altitude (apparently) damaged a fair number of digital
    >> cameras. Although I was able to recover all the files from the camera's
    >> XD card, about a third of the jpegs would not render in any program that
    >> I tried them on.
    >>
    >> Gimp says they are not jpegs because they start with, say 0x32 0x32. The
    >> values all vary from one another.
    >>
    >> Are there any Linux programs that can display or even edit corrupt jpegs?

    > Different apps have different tolerances for corruption.
    > Try eog, kuickshow, gwenview, kview, and maybe any other
    > image viewer available on your system.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > jim b.

    Good point. I've mow tried them all (thank goodness for urpmi and urpme) but
    sadly none of them could do it. I'm wondering if there's an editor that
    works at the byte level like a hex editor that might enable me to correct a
    single bit flip or similar.

    Thanks

    Alan

  6. Re: Corrupt jpegs

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > I'm wondering if there's an editor that
    > works at the byte level like a hex editor that might enable me to correct a
    > single bit flip or similar.

    [jim@localhost ~]$ locate hex |grep bin
    /usr/bin/hexdump
    /usr/bin/hexedit
    /usr/bin/khexedit

    The hexedit and khexedit commands would seem promising.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: Corrupt jpegs

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 08:04:30 +0200, DenverD wrote:

    >> While climbing a mountain, the altitude (apparently) damaged a fair
    >> number of digital cameras.

    > never heard of such a thing...can you explain how you determined that as
    > a possible cause??

    Truth: "Dad, I smashed the camera you loaned me."

    Balderdash: "Dad, everyone's cameras were destroyed by the altitude."

    Which would you be more likely to tell your dad?

  8. Re: Corrupt jpegs

    On 23 Aug 2008 16:18:53 +0200, Mark Madsen wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 08:04:30 +0200, DenverD wrote:
    >
    >>> While climbing a mountain, the altitude (apparently) damaged a fair
    >>> number of digital cameras.

    >> never heard of such a thing...can you explain how you determined that as
    >> a possible cause??

    > Truth: "Dad, I smashed the camera you loaned me."
    >
    > Balderdash: "Dad, everyone's cameras were destroyed by the altitude."
    >
    > Which would you be more likely to tell your dad?

    My guess?

    altitude ==
    extreme cold ==
    wretched battery function ==
    mid-process camera shutdown ==
    corrupted files and file sysytem

    And, of course, you don't understand what's happening -- so, you try it
    again ... and again ....

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  9. Re: Corrupt jpegs

    Alan Secker wrote:

    >My niece just got back from a school trip to Africa. While climbing a
    >mountain, the altitude (apparently) damaged a fair number of digital
    >cameras. Although I was able to recover all the files from the camera's XD
    >card, about a third of the jpegs would not render in any program that I
    >tried them on.
    >
    >Gimp says they are not jpegs because they start with, say 0x32 0x32. The
    >values all vary from one another.
    >
    >Are there any Linux programs that can display or even edit corrupt jpegs?

    Are the good and bad files the same length?

    If they are, then use a hex editor to find how much of the preamble is
    identical in the good files -- probably between 1 and 2 kilobytes. Then
    substitute a good preamble into the bad files. That *might* restore
    something, although I think that the files are probably useless because
    the preamble would normally be written first.

    --
    Dave Farrance

  10. Re: Corrupt jpegs

    Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    >>> never heard of such a thing...can you explain how you determined that as
    >>> a possible cause??

    >> Truth: "Dad, I smashed the camera you loaned me."
    >>
    >> Balderdash: "Dad, everyone's cameras were destroyed by the altitude."
    >>
    >> Which would you be more likely to tell your dad?

    > My guess?
    >
    > altitude ==
    > extreme cold ==
    > wretched battery function ==
    > mid-process camera shutdown ==
    > corrupted files and file system
    >
    > And, of course, you don't understand what's happening -- so, you try it
    > again ... and again ....
    >
    > Jonesy

    This girl just got 8 A stars and 3 As in her GCSE results. She took around
    400 jpegs but t was about 40 in the 3rd quarter of shots that are
    unreadable. The sizes of the files are all roughly what one would expect.

    There were 23 girls on the trip to Africa). They climbed two mountains as
    well as touring and teaching. It was an eye opener for them but as
    mentioned, several members of the group had similar problems with their
    digital cameras.

    I think your assessment of what happened is probably spot on.

    Regards, Alan

  11. Re: Corrupt jpegs

    On 2008-08-23, Alan Secker wrote:
    > Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    >>> Truth: "Dad, I smashed the camera you loaned me."
    >>>
    >>> Balderdash: "Dad, everyone's cameras were destroyed by the altitude."
    >>>
    >>> Which would you be more likely to tell your dad?

    >> My guess?
    >>
    >> altitude ==
    >> extreme cold ==
    >> wretched battery function ==
    >> mid-process camera shutdown ==
    >> corrupted files and file system
    >>
    >> And, of course, you don't understand what's happening -- so, you try it
    >> again ... and again ....
    >>
    >> Jonesy

    > This girl just got 8 A stars and 3 As in her GCSE results. She took around
    > 400 jpegs but t was about 40 in the 3rd quarter of shots that are
    > unreadable. The sizes of the files are all roughly what one would expect.
    >
    > There were 23 girls on the trip to Africa). They climbed two mountains as
    > well as touring and teaching. It was an eye opener for them but as
    > mentioned, several members of the group had similar problems with their
    > digital cameras.
    >
    > I think your assessment of what happened is probably spot on.
    >
    > Regards, Alan

    Is there a possibility that X-Ray machines at the airports
    might have something do with the apparent data corruption?

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  12. Re: Corrupt jpegs

    Robert Riches wrote:

    > On 2008-08-23, Alan Secker wrote:
    >> Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    >>> My guess?
    >>>
    >>> altitude ==
    >>> extreme cold ==
    >>> wretched battery function ==
    >>> mid-process camera shutdown ==
    >>> corrupted files and file system
    >>>
    >>> And, of course, you don't understand what's happening -- so, you try it
    >>> again ... and again ....
    >>>
    >>> Jonesy

    >> This girl just got 8 A stars and 3 As in her GCSE results. She took
    >> around 400 jpegs but t was about 40 in the 3rd quarter of shots that are
    >> unreadable. The sizes of the files are all roughly what one would expect.
    >>
    >> There were 23 girls on the trip to Africa). They climbed two mountains as
    >> well as touring and teaching. It was an eye opener for them but as
    >> mentioned, several members of the group had similar problems with their
    >> digital cameras.
    >>
    >> I think your assessment of what happened is probably spot on.
    >>
    >> Regards, Alan

    > Is there a possibility that X-Ray machines at the airports
    > might have something do with the apparent data corruption?

    Possible but not probable.

  13. Re: Corrupt jpegs

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > This girl just got 8 A stars and 3 As in her GCSE results.

    This means that she's /nearly/ reached the education of an eleven-year-old
    in Britain forty years ago. GCSEs are /so/ devalued that they're entirely
    worthless.

    C.

  14. Re: Corrupt jpegs

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>> My niece just got back from a school trip to Africa. While climbing a
    >>> mountain, the altitude (apparently) damaged a fair number of digital
    >>> cameras. Although I was able to recover all the files from the camera's
    >>> XD card, about a third of the jpegs would not render in any program that
    >>> I tried them on.
    >>>
    >>> Gimp says they are not jpegs because they start with, say 0x32 0x32. The
    >>> values all vary from one another.
    >>>
    >>> Are there any Linux programs that can display or even edit corrupt jpegs?

    >> Different apps have different tolerances for corruption.
    >> Try eog, kuickshow, gwenview, kview, and maybe any other
    >> image viewer available on your system.
    >>
    >> Good luck!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    > Good point. I've mow tried them all (thank goodness for urpmi and urpme) but
    > sadly none of them could do it. I'm wondering if there's an editor that
    > works at the byte level like a hex editor that might enable me to correct a
    > single bit flip or similar.

    Have you looked at PhotoRec...
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

  15. Re: Corrupt jpegs

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>> My niece just got back from a school trip to Africa. While climbing a
    >>> mountain, the altitude (apparently) damaged a fair number of digital
    >>> cameras. Although I was able to recover all the files from the camera's
    >>> XD card, about a third of the jpegs would not render in any program that
    >>> I tried them on.
    >>>
    >>> Gimp says they are not jpegs because they start with, say 0x32 0x32. The
    >>> values all vary from one another.
    >>>
    >>> Are there any Linux programs that can display or even edit corrupt jpegs?

    >> Different apps have different tolerances for corruption.
    >> Try eog, kuickshow, gwenview, kview, and maybe any other
    >> image viewer available on your system.
    >>
    >> Good luck!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    > Good point. I've mow tried them all (thank goodness for urpmi and urpme) but
    > sadly none of them could do it.

    Different programs, but the odds are they are all linked to libjpeg.so,
    and that's what can't handle the corrupted file. To see if this is the
    case, do:

    ldd `which program_name` | grep jpeg

    There seem to be a fair number of commercial programs and services
    around for this task. Google for: recover corrupt jpeg

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  16. Re: Corrupt jpegs

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >> My niece just got back from a school trip to Africa. While climbing a
    >> mountain, the altitude (apparently) damaged a fair number of digital
    >> cameras. Although I was able to recover all the files from the camera's
    >> XD card, about a third of the jpegs would not render in any program that
    >> I tried them on.
    >>
    >> Gimp says they are not jpegs because they start with, say 0x32 0x32. The
    >> values all vary from one another.
    >>
    >> Are there any Linux programs that can display or even edit corrupt jpegs?

    > Different apps have different tolerances for corruption.
    > Try eog, kuickshow, gwenview, kview, and maybe any other
    > image viewer available on your system.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > jim b.

    I think kuickshow is gone now, good program... can it be gotten for 2008.1?
    Eric

  17. Re: Corrupt jpegs

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:22:47 -0400, Eric wrote:

    > I think kuickshow is gone now, good program... can it be gotten for 2008.1?

    $ rpm -q -f /usr/bin/kuickshow
    kdegraphics-kuickshow-3.5.9-8.1mdv2008.1

    $ grep kdegraphics-kuickshow /var/lib/urpmi/names*
    /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main (Official2008.1-1):kdegraphics-kuickshow
    /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main Updates (Official2008.1-2):kdegraphics-kuickshow
    /var/lib/urpmi/names.Mandriva Linux - 2008.1 (Free) - Installer:kdegraphics-kuickshow

    This is on the i586 repositories.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  18. Re: Corrupt jpegs

    Luis wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >> Jim Beard wrote:

    >>> Different apps have different tolerances for corruption.
    >>> Try eog, kuickshow, gwenview, kview, and maybe any other
    >>> image viewer available on your system.
    >>>
    >>> Good luck!
    >>>
    >>> jim b.
    >>>

    >> Good point. I've mow tried them all (thank goodness for urpmi and urpme)
    >> but sadly none of them could do it. I'm wondering if there's an editor
    >> that works at the byte level like a hex editor that might enable me to
    >> correct a single bit flip or similar.

    > Have you looked at PhotoRec...
    > http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

    Looks interesting Thanks.

    Regards, Alan

  19. Re: Corrupt jpegs

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:22:47 -0400, Eric wrote:
    >
    >> I think kuickshow is gone now, good program... can it be gotten for
    >> 2008.1?

    > $ rpm -q -f /usr/bin/kuickshow
    > kdegraphics-kuickshow-3.5.9-8.1mdv2008.1
    >
    > $ grep kdegraphics-kuickshow /var/lib/urpmi/names*
    > /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main (Official2008.1-1):kdegraphics-kuickshow
    > /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main Updates (Official2008.1-2):kdegraphics-kuickshow
    > /var/lib/urpmi/names.Mandriva Linux - 2008.1 (Free) -
    > Installer:kdegraphics-kuickshow
    >
    > This is on the i586 repositories.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Its in mcc too, i dont know why my searches didnt turn it up before. I must
    have mistyped it or otherwise fumble fingered it.
    Thanks
    Eric

+ Reply to Thread