Boot problems after updating the system - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Boot problems after updating the system - Mandriva ; Running Mandriva 2008.0 Yesterday I went into MCC, and since it was a long time since I had applied updates, I opted to update my system. 75 packages were installed. Now there are problems booting, and the machine no longer ...

  1. Boot problems after updating the system

    Running Mandriva 2008.0

    Yesterday I went into MCC, and since it was a long time since I had
    applied updates, I opted to update my system. 75 packages were installed.

    Now there are problems booting, and the machine no longer detects my USB
    key or MP3 player.

    When booting, the following is displayed:

    WARNING! Loop detected avahi-daemon -> messagebus
    -> Ignoring requires messagebus
    WARNING! Loop detected bluetooth -> messagebus
    -> Ignoring requires messagebus
    WARNING! Loop detected consolekit -> messagebus
    -> Ignoring requires messagebus
    WARNING! Loop detected haldaemon -> messagebus
    -> Ignoring requires messagebus
    WARNING! Loop detected mandi -> messagebus
    -> Ignoring requires messagebus

    (it scrolled off the screen, but I found it in /var/log/prcsys.log)

    Then the machine started its services, showing messages with the green
    [ OK ] or the red [FAILED]. It stopped after the following (sorry,
    this is long):

    Compiling...
    FATAL: Error inserting nf_conntrack_h323
    (/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-desktop-2mdv/kernel/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_h323.ko.gz):
    Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Error inserting nf_conntrack_h323
    (/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-desktop-2mdv/kernel/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_h323.ko.gz):
    Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    FATAL: Error inserting nf_nat_h323
    (/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-desktop-2mdv/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_nat_h323.ko.gz):
    Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    Initializing...
    Determining Zones...
    IPv4 Zones: net
    Firewall Zone: fw
    Validating interfaces file...
    Validating hosts file...
    Pre-processing Actions...
    Pre-processing /usr/share/shorewall/action.Drop...
    Pre-processing /usr/share/shorewall/action.Reject...
    Validating Policy file...
    Determining Hosts in Zones...
    net Zone: eth0:0.0.0.0/0
    Deleting user chains...
    Compiling /etc/shorewall/routestopped ...
    Creating Interface Chains...
    Compiling Common Rules
    Compiling IP Forwarding...
    Compiling /etc/shorewall/rules...
    Compiling Actions...
    Compiling /usr/share/shorewall/action.Drop for Chain Drop...
    Compiling /usr/share/shorewall/action.Reject for Chain Reject...
    Compiling /etc/shorewall/policy...
    Compiling Traffic Control Rules...
    Compiling Rule Activation...
    Shorewall configuration compiled to /var/lib/shorewall/.start
    Processing /etc/shorewall/params ...
    Starting Shorewall....
    Initializing...
    FATAL: Error inserting nf_conntrack_h323
    (/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-desktop-2mdv/kernel/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_h323.ko.gz):
    Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Error inserting nf_conntrack_h323
    (/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-desktop-2mdv/kernel/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_h323.ko.gz):
    Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    FATAL: Error inserting nf_nat_h323
    (/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-desktop-2mdv/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_nat_h323.ko.gz):
    Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    Processing /etc/shorewall/init ...
    Clearing Traffic Control/QOS
    Deleting user chains...
    Processing /etc/shorewall/continue ...
    Enabling Loopback and DNS Lookups
    Creating Interface Chains...
    Setting up SMURF control...
    Processing /etc/shorewall/initdone ...
    Setting up Black List...
    Setting up ARP filtering...
    Setting up Accept Source Routing...
    Setting up SYN Flood Protection...
    Setting up Rules...
    Setting up Actions...
    Creating action chain Drop
    Creating action chain Reject
    Creating action chain dropBcast
    Creating action chain dropInvalid
    Creating action chain dropNotSyn
    Applying Policies...
    Activating Rules...
    Processing /etc/shorewall/start ...
    Processing /etc/shorewall/started ...
    done.
    Starting mandi daemon: Failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon: Failed to
    connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
    process 5669: arguments to dbus_connection_send() were incorrect,
    assertion "connection != NULL" failed in file dbus-connection.c line 2971.
    This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
    process 5669: arguments to dbus_connection_flush() were incorrect,
    assertion "connection != NULL" failed in file dbus-connection.c line 3264.
    This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.

    Eventually, it got going again. Don't know how long it took, maybe 3
    minutes. It normally takes way less than that to boot!

    Other things that failed:
    Starting Avahi daemon: [FAILED]
    Starting HAL daemon: [FAILED]
    .... which is, I suppose, why the USB key is not detected.

    How should I go about fixing this? I don't suppose it's possible to roll
    back the update?

    Frank

  2. Re: Boot problems after updating the system

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:36:14 +0100, Frank Peelo wrote:

    > Other things that failed:
    > Starting Avahi daemon: [FAILED]
    > Starting HAL daemon: [FAILED]

    Get into MCC and you can disable avahi-daemon.

    Guessing your problem is haldaemon and messagebus need to have
    On Boot set.

  3. Re: Boot problems after updating the system

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:36:14 -0400, Frank Peelo wrote:

    > When booting, the following is displayed:
    > WARNING! Loop detected haldaemon -> messagebus
    > -> Ignoring requires messagebus

    From the thread
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...40d45ef6493fbc

    Try running, (as root) ...

    chkconfig messagebus reset
    chkconfig haldaemon reset

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Boot problems after updating the system - SOLVED

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:36:14 -0400, Frank Peelo wrote:
    >
    >> When booting, the following is displayed:
    >> WARNING! Loop detected haldaemon -> messagebus
    >> -> Ignoring requires messagebus

    > From the thread
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...40d45ef6493fbc
    >
    > Try running, (as root) ...
    >
    > chkconfig messagebus reset
    > chkconfig haldaemon reset

    That did it! Thanks!

    I tried to read the long thread you mention. So thanks also due to
    Amrein-Marie Christophe who suggested it there. And had a look at man
    chkconfig to see what reset was doing. MCC definitely had said that
    haldaemon was to start at boot time, I had checked before posting; not
    sure about messagebus. That was probably where the problem was. You said
    the "parallel services startup" was messed up, I'll have to read up on
    that, sometime; presumably it's to speed up booting.

    Also avahi is no longer started at boot, thanks Bit Twister. Google
    agrees that it's not going to be an asset on this machine.

    Frank

+ Reply to Thread