more rxvt-unicode strangeness - Mandriva

This is a discussion on more rxvt-unicode strangeness - Mandriva ; On an Ubuntu 8.04.1 system rxvt-unicode "just works" with both bash and tcsh. On Mandriva 2008.1, not so much. The first problem was that rxvt-unicode was not in the terminfo database, so I moved the one from Ubuntu to Mandriva ...

  1. more rxvt-unicode strangeness

    On an Ubuntu 8.04.1 system rxvt-unicode "just works" with both bash
    and tcsh. On Mandriva 2008.1, not so much. The first problem was that
    rxvt-unicode was not in the terminfo database, so I moved the one from
    Ubuntu to Mandriva with:

    % infocmp rxvt-unicode > /tmp/rxvt-unicode.terminfo

    (copy the file to the Mandriva system, then as root)

    % tic rxvt-unicode.terminfo

    After that bash was happy. However, tcsh is not. It still refuses
    to believe that when TERM is "rxvt-unicode" that terminfo knows
    anything about it. Leading to this nonsense:

    % tcsh
    tcsh: No entry for terminal type "rxvt-unicode"
    tcsh: using dumb terminal settings.
    % echo $TERM
    rxvt-unicode
    % toe | grep unicode
    rxvt-unicode rxvt-unicode terminal (X Window System)

    That is, toe says "ncurses supports rxvt-unicode", and tcsh uses
    ncurses, and toe says that it knows about toe. Both bash and tcsh
    on Mandriva seem to be linked to libtermcap (which is odd, why not
    libncurses?)

    % ldd `which bash`
    linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
    libtermcap.so.2 => /lib/libtermcap.so.2 (0xb7f98000)
    libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7f94000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/i686/libc.so.6 (0xb7e50000)
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7fbc000)
    % ldd `which tcsh`
    linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
    libtermcap.so.2 => /lib/libtermcap.so.2 (0xb7f34000)
    libcrypt.so.1 => /lib/libcrypt.so.1 (0xb7f02000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/i686/libc.so.6 (0xb7dbe000)
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f58000)

    Hmm. HMM. TERMCAP! Slaps forehead.

    % infotocap ./rxvt-unicode.terminfo >/tmp/termcap
    % cat /tmp/termcap >> /etc/termcap
    % tcsh

    IT WORKS!!!

    So I guess the real mystery is why bash was able to pick up the terminfo
    data when it was linked to libtermcap which lacked it. I'm guessing
    that it looked first in libtermcap, then used libdl to dynamically link
    to libncurses, retrieved the terminal information, and then released it.

    Perhaps some Mandriva employee can explain why both bash and tcsh are
    linked to termcap when its perfectly possible to link them to ncurses
    instead, and since the termcap man page says:

    The termcap database is an obsolete facility

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  2. Re: more rxvt-unicode strangeness

    David Mathog wrote:

    > On an Ubuntu 8.04.1 system rxvt-unicode "just works" with both
    > bash and tcsh. On Mandriva 2008.1, not so much.

    [detailed description snipped)

    Glad you were successful. Some things 'just work' in Ubuntu, some
    things 'just work' in Mandriva (many more in my experience
    which is why I prefer it :-) But YMMV...

    > Perhaps some Mandriva employee can explain why both bash and
    > tcsh are linked to termcap when its perfectly possible to link
    > them to ncurses instead,

    I doubt if any Mandriva employee reads this newsgroup - never
    seen any official responses anyway.

    Adam Williamson is the employee mainly responsible for answering
    queries and is active on the official forums:
    http://forum.mandriva.com
    (world-readable but free registration required to post).

    He is knowledgeable and helpful and generally well
    house-trained - suggest you look for your answer there if you
    want/need more info.

    HHT
    Syd

+ Reply to Thread