Start up messages - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Start up messages - Mandriva ; When starting up mandriva 2008.1 a user can hit the "esc" key and get a running list of whats going on during boot. Is this also being logged to a file that I can go to and have a look ...

  1. Start up messages

    When starting up mandriva 2008.1 a user can hit the "esc" key and get a
    running list of whats going on during boot.
    Is this also being logged to a file that I can
    go to and have a look at ?
    Tia,Dale

  2. Re: Start up messages

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 17:51:32 -0400, Dale wrote:
    > When starting up mandriva 2008.1 a user can hit the "esc" key and get a
    > running list of whats going on during boot.
    > Is this also being logged to a file

    No.

    > that I can go to and have a look at ?

    su - root

    dmesg

    Other information found in /var/log/* files.

    I have changed the permissions on /var/log/messages to 644
    and install xconsole.

    That allows me to run a script (xcon) upon kde startup which
    creates a 3 line wide xconsole window showing updates to /var/log/messages.
    Once xconsole shows up, I pin it to the desktop.
    When a message shows up, and I like it, I left click the bottom of the
    scroll bar to hid the last message.

    $ cat /local/bin/xcon
    #************************************************
    #* xcon - scrip to watch messages log
    #*
    #* Assumes /var/log/messages is world readable.
    #*
    #************************************************

    pgrep -U $USER xconsole
    if [ $? -eq 1 ] ; then
    xconsole -geom 1032x50+400+00 -file /var/log/messages &
    fi

    #*************** end xcon **********************

  3. Re: Start up messages

    Dale wrote:

    > When starting up mandriva 2008.1 a user can hit the "esc" key and get
    > a running list of whats going on during boot.

    Alternatively, one can add "splash=verbose" to one's kernel parameters
    in /boot/grub/menu.lst (or /etc/lilo.conf, for LILO users) and get that
    display every time, without having to hit the escape key.

    --
    Bill Mullen
    RLU #270075

  4. Re: Start up messages

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:22:04 -0400, Bill Mullen wrote:
    > Alternatively, one can add "splash=verbose" to one's kernel parameters

    I use splash=0 my self.

    Can anyone point me to a document with possible switches/settings?

  5. Re: Start up messages

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:28:05 +0000 (UTC),
    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:22:04 -0400, Bill Mullen wrote:
    > > Alternatively, one can add "splash=verbose" to one's kernel
    > > parameters

    > I use splash=0 my self.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to a document with possible switches/settings?

    A good place to start is the LDP's Boot Prompt HOWTO:

    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO.html

    Of course, "splash=" isn't mentioned there ... but it does point out
    that any parameters on the kernel command line that aren't intended to
    be directly interpreted by the kernel could be there for the boot
    loader to use; failing that, they are either made into environment
    variables or passed on to init. The kernel-source packages contain a
    file (/usr/src/linux[-version]/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt)
    that is more up-to-date than the HOWTO, and goes into more detail. If
    you don't have the sources installed, no need to do so just to see this
    file - it's available online at:

    http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.24.7/...parameters.txt

    Before you go and look, that file doesn't mention "splash=" either.

    HTH!

    --
    Bill Mullen
    RLU #270075

  6. Re: Start up messages

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:28:05 -0400, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:22:04 -0400, Bill Mullen wrote:
    >> Alternatively, one can add "splash=verbose" to one's kernel parameters

    > I use splash=0 my self.
    > Can anyone point me to a document with possible switches/settings?

    Looking through /etc/rc.d/* and then /sbin/splash.sh, it looks like having silent
    turns of the splash, and anything else turns it on. Haven't tested to see though.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: Start up messages

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 21:58:31 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > Looking through /etc/rc.d/* and then /sbin/splash.sh, it looks
    > like having silent turns of the splash, and anything else turns it
    > on. Haven't tested to see though.

    Looking through /sbin/splash.sh reminded me I have been
    trying to get nothing but the text during boot by setting
    SPLASH=no
    LOGO_CONSOLE=no
    in /etc/sysconfig/bootsplash

    Only thing left is to suppress the tux picture, top left.

  8. Re: Start up messages

    Dale wrote:
    > When starting up mandriva 2008.1 a user can hit the "esc" key and get a
    > running list of whats going on during boot.
    > Is this also being logged to a file that I can
    > go to and have a look at ?

    There are *two* sorts of messages that get listed when starting up.
    Firstly, messages from the kernel when it is starting. As Bit Twister
    said, the command dmesg will give you those, if you run dmesg soon
    enough after boot. man dmesg says these messages are stored in the
    Kernel Ring Buffer, and the arrival of newer messages can force older
    messages to be lost.

    However, after the kernel messages there are messages given by services
    that are starting up. These are the ones with [ OK ] or [FAILED] at
    the end of the line in red or green. These may be logged in
    /var/log/prcsys.log

    Frank

  9. Re: Start up messages

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 21:58:31 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> Looking through /etc/rc.d/* and then /sbin/splash.sh, it looks
    >> like having silent turns of the splash, and anything else turns it
    >> on. Haven't tested to see though.

    > Looking through /sbin/splash.sh reminded me I have been
    > trying to get nothing but the text during boot by setting
    > SPLASH=no
    > LOGO_CONSOLE=no
    > in /etc/sysconfig/bootsplash
    >
    > Only thing left is to suppress the tux picture, top left.

    Odd. My menu.lst has
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.19-desktop-2mdv
    BOOT_IMAGE=desktop_2.6.22.19-2 root=/dev/hda1 resume=/dev/hda5
    I did have splash=silent vga=788 but it seems to have been with a
    2.6.22.9 kernel, so not recent. I don't not got a top left tux.

    My /etc/sysconfig/bootsplash has
    SPLASH=auto
    THEME=Mandriva-Free
    LOGO_CONSOLE=theme
    which looks graphicish so I don't think it's that.

    In MCC, if I go to Boot, then select "Set up boot graphical theme", I
    have "Text only" for the Graphical Boot Mode. The Boot system is "GRUB
    with text menu". Maybe it's one of these that does it?

    Frank

  10. Re: Start up messages

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 01:00:49 +0100, Frank Peelo wrote:

    > However, after the kernel messages there are messages given by services
    > that are starting up. These are the ones with [ OK ] or [FAILED] at
    > the end of the line in red or green. These may be logged in
    > /var/log/prcsys.log

    Well will you look at that. How did you find that bit of information?

    I have been through the init.d scripts/functions and never noticed it
    logging to/var/log/prcsys.log.

  11. Re: Start up messages

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 01:23:13 +0100, Frank Peelo wrote:

    > Odd. My menu.lst has
    > kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.19-desktop-2mdv
    > BOOT_IMAGE=desktop_2.6.22.19-2 root=/dev/hda1 resume=/dev/hda5
    > I did have splash=silent vga=788 but it seems to have been with a
    > 2.6.22.9 kernel, so not recent.

    I would say so. :-)

    # uname -r
    2.6.24.7-desktop-1mnb for 2008.1
    It is not a stock kernel, I did add dkms which forces a least a re-link.

    > In MCC, if I go to Boot, then select "Set up boot graphical theme", I
    > have "Text only" for the Graphical Boot Mode. The Boot system is "GRUB
    > with text menu". Maybe it's one of these that does it?

    Entirely possible the vga=791 boot switch is doing it to me.

    I always pick boot text mode when configuring the boot loader.
    I did finally bite the bullet and have been using grub.
    Playing with multiboot installs, forced me to do it.

    I have not been hunting for the fix too hard. I was hoping to find
    an easy config file fix just to stay in the KISS mode.
    (Keep It Simple Stupid)

  12. Re: Start up messages

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 20:47:02 -0400, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 01:00:49 +0100, Frank Peelo wrote:
    >> the end of the line in red or green. These may be logged in
    >> /var/log/prcsys.log

    > Well will you look at that. How did you find that bit of information?
    > I have been through the init.d scripts/functions and never noticed it
    > logging to/var/log/prcsys.log.

    /etc/rc.d/rc calls /sbin/prcsys, which defaults to logging in /var/log/prcsys.log.

    I don't remember when I first found out about that log file, but it's been
    mentioned in serveral articles here, regarding problems with parrallel init.

    All check out http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/index.ph...nt/Howto/Pinit

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  13. Re: Start up messages

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 01:00:49 +0100, Frank Peelo wrote:
    >

    >>However, after the kernel messages there are messages given by services
    >>that are starting up. These are the ones with [ OK ] or [FAILED] at
    >>the end of the line in red or green. These may be logged in
    >>/var/log/prcsys.log

    > Well will you look at that. How did you find that bit of information?
    >
    > I have been through the init.d scripts/functions and never noticed it
    > logging to/var/log/prcsys.log.

    Had a problem booting, after updating my PC. Grepped in /var/log for
    what I could remember of the error message, because it went off the
    screen too quickly for me. Then David Hodgins told me how to fix the
    boot problem, and gave a link to another thread which referred, in
    passing, to the same file

    Frank

+ Reply to Thread