hardrake modifies my inittab - Mandriva

This is a discussion on hardrake modifies my inittab - Mandriva ; I was wondering why every time i booted I ended up at run level 5. I had edited inittab several times by hand to boot to runlevel 3. Thenni started looking and found that harddrake is doing this. Here's a ...

  1. hardrake modifies my inittab

    I was wondering why every time i booted I ended up at run level 5. I had
    edited inittab several times by hand to boot to runlevel 3.
    Thenni started looking and found that harddrake is doing this.
    Here's a sample entry (one of many):
    /var/log/syslog:Aug 17 22:45:00 erb1 service_harddrake[2880]: modified
    file /etc/inittab

    How can i stop this? I dont want to boot to level 5.
    I find that service_hardrake is a perl script but contains no references to
    inittab... man service_harddrake produces no help page
    Thanks
    Eric

  2. Re: hardrake modifies my inittab

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 00:30:42 -0700, Eric wrote:
    > I was wondering why every time i booted I ended up at run level 5. I had
    > edited inittab several times by hand to boot to runlevel 3.
    > Thenni started looking and found that harddrake is doing this.

    Curious, what is your msec security level
    echo $SECURE_LEVEL
    and lsb_release -a
    show?

    I default to run level 3 and once in awhile I'll load new video driver
    and forget to get into Options and forget to uncheck Automatically
    start the graphical interface (Xorg) upon booting.

    That is a one time thing though. I am running SECURE_LEVEL=3
    and do not have that problem on 2008.0 and 2008.1 32bit install.

  3. Re: hardrake modifies my inittab

    Eric writes:

    >I was wondering why every time i booted I ended up at run level 5. I had
    >edited inittab several times by hand to boot to runlevel 3.
    >Thenni started looking and found that harddrake is doing this.
    >Here's a sample entry (one of many):
    >/var/log/syslog:Aug 17 22:45:00 erb1 service_harddrake[2880]: modified
    >file /etc/inittab

    The people setting up Mandriva are idiots. This is just another example of
    their deciding that they know better than any user. If you change
    alt-ctrl-del to do a halt rather than a reboot in /etc/inittab, msec
    changes it back again as well. They should leave inittab alone.

    >How can i stop this? I dont want to boot to level 5.
    >I find that service_hardrake is a perl script but contains no references to
    >inittab... man service_harddrake produces no help page

    You need to find out where they alter that search for initdefault in the
    various scripts.
    I find references in /usr/lib/libDrakX/Xconfig/various.pm to changing it to
    $o_runlevel, whereever that is set.

    >Thanks
    >Eric

  4. Re: hardrake modifies my inittab

    Em Terça, 19 de Agosto de 2008 08:30, Eric escreveu:

    > I was wondering why every time i booted I ended up at run level 5. I had
    > edited inittab several times by hand to boot to runlevel 3.
    > Thenni started looking and found that harddrake is doing this.
    > Here's a sample entry (one of many):
    > /var/log/syslog:Aug 17 22:45:00 erb1 service_harddrake[2880]: modified
    > file /etc/inittab
    >
    > How can i stop this? I dont want to boot to level 5.
    > I find that service_hardrake is a perl script but contains no references
    > to inittab... man service_harddrake produces no help page
    > Thanks
    > Eric

    stop harddrake service

    you should do it right after the first boot after instalation, and only
    start it again if you change any hardware... other than that, you don't
    need harddrake and the bootup runs faster.

  5. Re: hardrake modifies my inittab

    On Tuesday 19 August 2008 20:44, someone identifying as *ArameFarpado* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Em Terça, 19 de Agosto de 2008 08:30, Eric escreveu:
    >
    >> I was wondering why every time i booted I ended up at run level 5. I had
    >> edited inittab several times by hand to boot to runlevel 3.
    >> Thenni started looking and found that harddrake is doing this.
    >> Here's a sample entry (one of many):
    >> /var/log/syslog:Aug 17 22:45:00 erb1 service_harddrake[2880]: modified
    >> file /etc/inittab
    >>
    >> How can i stop this? I dont want to boot to level 5.
    >> I find that service_hardrake is a perl script but contains no references
    >> to inittab... man service_harddrake produces no help page
    >> Thanks
    >> Eric

    > stop harddrake service
    >
    > you should do it right after the first boot after instalation, and only
    > start it again if you change any hardware... other than that, you don't
    > need harddrake and the bootup runs faster.

    I fully agree with that. I've removed it from my all of my runlevel
    configurations with every Mandr* distribution I've installed so far.

    It only needs to run once, as you said, and it slows down the boot process
    by several seconds - especially on older machines like my secondhand laptop
    - so there's no need to have it start up every time you boot your computer.

    People should keep in mind that everything that has /*drake/ in its name is
    a Mandriva-specific tool and is therefore not required to run in a normal
    GNU/Linux operating system.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  6. Re: hardrake modifies my inittab

    On 2008-08-19, ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Em Tera, 19 de Agosto de 2008 08:30, Eric escreveu:
    >
    >> I was wondering why every time i booted I ended up at run level 5. I had
    >> edited inittab several times by hand to boot to runlevel 3.
    >> Thenni started looking and found that harddrake is doing this.
    >> Here's a sample entry (one of many):
    >> /var/log/syslog:Aug 17 22:45:00 erb1 service_harddrake[2880]: modified
    >> file /etc/inittab
    >>
    >> How can i stop this? I dont want to boot to level 5.
    >> I find that service_hardrake is a perl script but contains no references
    >> to inittab... man service_harddrake produces no help page
    >> Thanks
    >> Eric

    > stop harddrake service
    >
    > you should do it right after the first boot after instalation, and only
    > start it again if you change any hardware... other than that, you don't
    > need harddrake and the bootup runs faster.

    That's interesting. I boot to runlevel 3 with
    Ctrl-Alt-Delete disabled, and I show harddrake enabled for
    runlevels 3-5 and that it ran at boot. I use 'standard'
    security level and run msec.

    Any idea why my /etc/inittab goes unmolested? Might it be
    that I have permissions of 444 on it?

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  7. Re: hardrake modifies my inittab

    Unruh wrote:

    > Eric writes:
    >
    >>I was wondering why every time i booted I ended up at run level 5. I had
    >>edited inittab several times by hand to boot to runlevel 3.
    >>Thenni started looking and found that harddrake is doing this.
    >>Here's a sample entry (one of many):
    >>/var/log/syslog:Aug 17 22:45:00 erb1 service_harddrake[2880]: modified
    >>file /etc/inittab

    > The people setting up Mandriva are idiots. This is just another example of
    > their deciding that they know better than any user. If you change
    > alt-ctrl-del to do a halt rather than a reboot in /etc/inittab, msec
    > changes it back again as well. They should leave inittab alone.

    It sounds typical Windoze.

    Should Eric exclude this from msec as well, then? I know that it is
    possible to exclude commands. I have forgotten how, but it will be
    documented. I thought that msec was to do with security, not with these
    Gates-like "fixes."

    Doug.

  8. Re: hardrake modifies my inittab

    On Wednesday 20 August 2008 04:58, someone identifying as *Robert Riches*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > On 2008-08-19, ArameFarpado wrote:
    >> Em Terça, 19 de Agosto de 2008 08:30, Eric escreveu:
    >>
    >>> I was wondering why every time i booted I ended up at run level 5. I had
    >>> edited inittab several times by hand to boot to runlevel 3.
    >>> Thenni started looking and found that harddrake is doing this.
    >>> Here's a sample entry (one of many):
    >>> /var/log/syslog:Aug 17 22:45:00 erb1 service_harddrake[2880]: modified
    >>> file /etc/inittab
    >>>
    >>> How can i stop this? I dont want to boot to level 5.
    >>> I find that service_hardrake is a perl script but contains no references
    >>> to inittab... man service_harddrake produces no help page
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Eric

    >> stop harddrake service
    >>
    >> you should do it right after the first boot after instalation, and only
    >> start it again if you change any hardware... other than that, you don't
    >> need harddrake and the bootup runs faster.

    > That's interesting. I boot to runlevel 3 with
    > Ctrl-Alt-Delete disabled, and I show harddrake enabled for
    > runlevels 3-5 and that it ran at boot. I use 'standard'
    > security level and run msec.

    For as far as I know, the /standard/ security level setting in Mandriva
    corresponds to security level 2...

    > Any idea why my /etc/inittab goes unmolested? Might it be
    > that I have permissions of 444 on it?

    Negative, because both /msec/ and /harddrake/ run with root privileges and
    therefore have write permissions even if they are disabled in the
    filesystem - this does of course not apply if you have your root filesystem
    mounted read-only because nothing can write to it then, not even the
    kernel. (Hardware glitches not included, of course...)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  9. Re: hardrake modifies my inittab

    On Wednesday 20 August 2008 05:37, someone identifying as *Aragorn* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > On Wednesday 20 August 2008 04:58, someone identifying as *Robert Riches*
    > wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> Any idea why my /etc/inittab goes unmolested? Might it be
    >> that I have permissions of 444 on it?

    > Negative, because both /msec/ and /harddrake/ run with root privileges and
    > therefore have write permissions even if they are disabled in the
    > filesystem - this does of course not apply if you have your root
    > filesystem mounted read-only because nothing can write to it then, not
    > even the kernel. (Hardware glitches not included, of course...)

    I forgot to mention that - on filesystems that support it - setting
    the /immutable/ attribute to a file or directory will of course also
    prevent anything from writing to it. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  10. Re: hardrake modifies my inittab

    On 2008-08-20, Aragorn wrote:
    > On Wednesday 20 August 2008 05:37, someone identifying as *Aragorn* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> On Wednesday 20 August 2008 04:58, someone identifying as *Robert Riches*
    >> wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >>
    >>> Any idea why my /etc/inittab goes unmolested? Might it be
    >>> that I have permissions of 444 on it?

    >> Negative, because both /msec/ and /harddrake/ run with root privileges and
    >> therefore have write permissions even if they are disabled in the
    >> filesystem - this does of course not apply if you have your root
    >> filesystem mounted read-only because nothing can write to it then, not
    >> even the kernel. (Hardware glitches not included, of course...)

    > I forgot to mention that - on filesystems that support it - setting
    > the /immutable/ attribute to a file or directory will of course also
    > prevent anything from writing to it. ;-)

    My /etc/inittab is on a local ext3 filesystem. Root could
    write to it if it wanted to. Maybe I'm just lucky. :-)

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  11. Re: hardrake modifies my inittab

    On Wednesday 20 August 2008 05:58, someone identifying as *Robert Riches*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > On 2008-08-20, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Wednesday 20 August 2008 05:37, someone identifying as *Aragorn* wrote
    >> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    >>> Negative, because both /msec/ and /harddrake/ run with root privileges
    >>> and therefore have write permissions even if they are disabled in the
    >>> filesystem - this does of course not apply if you have your root
    >>> filesystem mounted read-only because nothing can write to it then, not
    >>> even the kernel. (Hardware glitches not included, of course...)

    >> I forgot to mention that - on filesystems that support it - setting
    >> the /immutable/ attribute to a file or directory will of course also
    >> prevent anything from writing to it. ;-)

    > My /etc/inittab is on a local ext3 filesystem. Root could
    > write to it if it wanted to. Maybe I'm just lucky. :-)

    Well, setting it to immutable - which I also recommend for */etc/fstab*
    would provide for an ad hoc solution to the problem the OP has. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  12. Re: hardrake modifies my inittab

    Em Quarta, 20 de Agosto de 2008 03:41, Aragorn escreveu:

    >> stop harddrake service
    >>
    >> you should do it right after the first boot after instalation, and only
    >> start it again if you change any hardware... other than that, you don't
    >> need harddrake and the bootup runs faster.

    > I fully agree with that. I've removed it from my all of my runlevel
    > configurations with every Mandr* distribution I've installed so far.

    Mandriva Control Center >> System >> Services
    desabling harddrake in there is suficient.

    regards

  13. Re: hardrake modifies my inittab

    On Wednesday 20 August 2008 08:13, someone identifying as *ArameFarpado*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Em Quarta, 20 de Agosto de 2008 03:41, Aragorn escreveu:
    >
    >>> stop harddrake service
    >>>
    >>> you should do it right after the first boot after instalation, and only
    >>> start it again if you change any hardware... other than that, you don't
    >>> need harddrake and the bootup runs faster.

    >> I fully agree with that. I've removed it from my all of my runlevel
    >> configurations with every Mandr* distribution I've installed so far.
    >>

    > Mandriva Control Center >> System >> Services
    > desabling harddrake in there is suficient.

    That one only removes it from the current runlevel, not from all
    runlevels. /KSysV/ lets you set up all runlevels at once. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  14. Re: hardrake modifies my inittab

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 03:30:42 -0400, Eric wrote:

    > How can i stop this? I dont want to boot to level 5.

    In mcc, select boot, then "Set up autologin to automatically log in", then
    unselect the Launch the graphical environment when your system starts".

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  15. Re: hardrake modifies my inittab

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Tuesday 19 August 2008 20:44, someone identifying as *ArameFarpado*
    > wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> Em Terça, 19 de Agosto de 2008 08:30, Eric escreveu:
    >>
    >>> I was wondering why every time i booted I ended up at run level 5. I had
    >>> edited inittab several times by hand to boot to runlevel 3.
    >>> Thenni started looking and found that harddrake is doing this.
    >>> Here's a sample entry (one of many):
    >>> /var/log/syslog:Aug 17 22:45:00 erb1 service_harddrake[2880]: modified
    >>> file /etc/inittab
    >>>
    >>> How can i stop this? I dont want to boot to level 5.
    >>> I find that service_hardrake is a perl script but contains no references
    >>> to inittab... man service_harddrake produces no help page
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Eric

    >> stop harddrake service
    >>
    >> you should do it right after the first boot after instalation, and only
    >> start it again if you change any hardware... other than that, you don't
    >> need harddrake and the bootup runs faster.

    > I fully agree with that. I've removed it from my all of my runlevel
    > configurations with every Mandr* distribution I've installed so far.
    >
    > It only needs to run once, as you said, and it slows down the boot process
    > by several seconds - especially on older machines like my secondhand
    > laptop - so there's no need to have it start up every time you boot your
    > computer.
    >
    > People should keep in mind that everything that has /*drake/ in its name
    > is a Mandriva-specific tool and is therefore not required to run in a
    > normal GNU/Linux operating system.

    Hi,
    I have been gone for awhile, so havnt been able to check the ng's lately,
    I will use chkconfig to set hardrake to off at all runlevels - sounds like
    that should do the trick with no adverse side effects.
    Eric

+ Reply to Thread