xlock dpms parameters for app-defaults file? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on xlock dpms parameters for app-defaults file? - Mandriva ; I have been experimenting with ways of getting the display to shut off on Mandriva 2008.1. This works, albeit after a 20 second delay, instead of the expected 1 (or maybe 3) second delay: % xlock -dpmsoff 1 -dpmsstandby 1 ...

  1. xlock dpms parameters for app-defaults file?

    I have been experimenting with ways of getting the display to shut off
    on Mandriva 2008.1. This works, albeit after a 20 second delay, instead
    of the expected 1 (or maybe 3) second delay:

    % xlock -dpmsoff 1 -dpmsstandby 1 -dpmssuspend 1 -mode worm

    but putting these in /etc/X11/app-defaults/XLock

    Xlock.mode worm
    XLock.dpmsoff 1
    XLock.dpmsstandby 1
    XLock.dpmsuspend 1

    did not cause this:

    % xlock

    to do the right thing. It did immediately put up the "worm"
    screensaver, but afterwards it never went into the low power mode. Not
    in 20 seconds (as for the standalone command), and not after 2 minutes.
    Presumably if I waited for the X default dpms settings to kick in, it
    would have gone to standby at 20 minutes, suspend at 30, and finally off
    at 40. These default settings could be read out with:

    % xset q

    and could be altered (although I did not do so) by setting values in

    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

    I could not find anything in ~root which would be over riding these dpms
    settings in /etc/X11/app-defaults/XLock.

    Anybody know why it doesn't work? Maybe the entries are supposed to
    have different names???

    Thanks,

    David Mathog

  2. Re: xlock dpms parameters for app-defaults file?

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:14:47 -0400, David Mathog wrote:

    > I could not find anything in ~root which would be over riding these dpms
    > settings in /etc/X11/app-defaults/XLock.

    If you have kpowersave running, whatever settings you have there will override
    the defaults set in xorg.conf. I expect Gnome has a similar application.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: xlock dpms parameters for app-defaults file?

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:14:47 -0400, David Mathog wrote:
    >
    >> I could not find anything in ~root which would be over riding these dpms
    >> settings in /etc/X11/app-defaults/XLock.

    > If you have kpowersave running, whatever settings you have there will override
    > the defaults set in xorg.conf. I expect Gnome has a similar application.

    This is using the blackbox window manager, which as far as I know does
    not interfere with xlock.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  4. Re: xlock dpms parameters for app-defaults file?

    David Mathog wrote:

    > putting these in /etc/X11/app-defaults/XLock
    >
    > Xlock.mode worm
    > XLock.dpmsoff 1
    > XLock.dpmsstandby 1
    > XLock.dpmsuspend 1

    My bad, it should have been:

    Xlock.mode: worm
    XLock.dpmsoff: 1
    XLock.dpmsstandby: 1
    XLock.dpmsuspend: 1

    The font was pretty small on that display and I did not see the colons
    on the other lines. After adding them dpms kicks in as desired.
    Well, almost as desired, there is a 30 second delay which is hard wired
    into the xlockmore code.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

+ Reply to Thread