Mandriva 2008.1 with printer -- need to share with WinXP - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva 2008.1 with printer -- need to share with WinXP - Mandriva ; I have a laser (Samsung) printer installed on an MDK2008.1 box and would my son would like to access the printer from his WinXP. Would anyone have any suggestion on the easiest way to connect to it from his WinXP? ...

  1. Mandriva 2008.1 with printer -- need to share with WinXP

    I have a laser (Samsung) printer installed on an MDK2008.1 box and would
    my son would like to access the printer from his WinXP. Would anyone
    have any suggestion on the easiest way to connect to it from his WinXP?

    Note that he does have Mdk2008.1 installed on his computer but uses his
    WinXP as a games machine and just wants to print off some docs every now
    and then.

    The MdkLinux printer networking work flawlessly on all of our 5
    Mdk2008.1 boxes.

    Marc

  2. Re: Mandriva 2008.1 with printer -- need to share with WinXP

    Marc Paré a écrit :
    > I have a laser (Samsung) printer installed on an MDK2008.1 box and would
    > my son would like to access the printer from his WinXP. Would anyone
    > have any suggestion on the easiest way to connect to it from his WinXP?
    >
    > Note that he does have Mdk2008.1 installed on his computer but uses his
    > WinXP as a games machine and just wants to print off some docs every now
    > and then.
    >
    > The MdkLinux printer networking work flawlessly on all of our 5
    > Mdk2008.1 boxes.
    >
    > Marc

    No need to answer. I did MCC then activated the SMB sharing in the
    network section and then used the "Add printer" on WinXP and added the
    printer as a networked printer. Works.

    Marc

  3. Re: Mandriva 2008.1 with printer -- need to share with WinXP

    Marc Paré wrote:

    > Marc Paré a écrit :
    >> I have a laser (Samsung) printer installed on an MDK2008.1 box and would
    >> my son would like to access the printer from his WinXP. Would anyone
    >> have any suggestion on the easiest way to connect to it from his WinXP?
    >>
    >> Note that he does have Mdk2008.1 installed on his computer but uses his
    >> WinXP as a games machine and just wants to print off some docs every now
    >> and then.
    >>
    >> The MdkLinux printer networking work flawlessly on all of our 5
    >> Mdk2008.1 boxes.
    >>
    >> Marc

    > No need to answer. I did MCC then activated the SMB sharing in the
    > network section and then used the "Add printer" on WinXP and added the
    > printer as a networked printer. Works.
    >
    > Marc

    You lucky guy! I have been struggling with this issue for over a year. An
    Epson MFC printer worked perfectly with Adobe's winsteng.exe. Then it
    died, and I bought a Brother MFC (for Brother's supporting Linux, which was
    still a bit shaky back then. Their updated driver is better than the
    original, and they tell you how to set up printing to a server in your CUPS
    config.) It printed documents (but not from Acrobat Reader) with a custom
    smb.conf. Then it stopped working. I did it the way you did, and WinXP
    couldn't see my printer at all. That may have had something to do with
    selecting user-level security in Samba. Or it could be something to do
    with my firewall (Computer Associates/Vet: at least the WinXP firewall is
    designed to cope with this situation.) I am currently looking at a printer
    server, to take the printer right out of Samba. Netgear's site says that
    for an MFC, only printing will be networked, unless specified otherwise in
    its server list.

    According to all the books, the setup should be as simple as you found it,
    but Murphy is one of my cousins. If you did it, I will try again. Part of
    the reason for this reply is for those that come after, to document
    possible places to look, if theirs doesn't work.

    Doug.

  4. Re: Mandriva 2008.1 with printer -- need to share with WinXP

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Marc Paré wrote:
    >
    >> Marc Paré a écrit :
    >>> I have a laser (Samsung) printer installed on an MDK2008.1 box and would
    >>> my son would like to access the printer from his WinXP. Would anyone
    >>> have any suggestion on the easiest way to connect to it from his WinXP?
    >>>
    >>> Note that he does have Mdk2008.1 installed on his computer but uses his
    >>> WinXP as a games machine and just wants to print off some docs every now
    >>> and then.
    >>>
    >>> The MdkLinux printer networking work flawlessly on all of our 5
    >>> Mdk2008.1 boxes.
    >>>
    >>> Marc

    >> No need to answer. I did MCC then activated the SMB sharing in the
    >> network section and then used the "Add printer" on WinXP and added the
    >> printer as a networked printer. Works.
    >>
    >> Marc
    >>

    > You lucky guy! I have been struggling with this issue for over a year.
    > An
    > Epson MFC printer worked perfectly with Adobe's winsteng.exe. Then it
    > died, and I bought a Brother MFC (for Brother's supporting Linux, which
    > was
    > still a bit shaky back then. Their updated driver is better than the
    > original, and they tell you how to set up printing to a server in your
    > CUPS
    > config.) It printed documents (but not from Acrobat Reader) with a custom
    > smb.conf. Then it stopped working. I did it the way you did, and WinXP
    > couldn't see my printer at all. That may have had something to do with
    > selecting user-level security in Samba. Or it could be something to do
    > with my firewall (Computer Associates/Vet: at least the WinXP firewall is
    > designed to cope with this situation.) I am currently looking at a printer
    > server, to take the printer right out of Samba. Netgear's site says that
    > for an MFC, only printing will be networked, unless specified otherwise in
    > its server list.
    >
    > According to all the books, the setup should be as simple as you found it,
    > but Murphy is one of my cousins. If you did it, I will try again. Part
    > of the reason for this reply is for those that come after, to document
    > possible places to look, if theirs doesn't work.
    >
    > Doug.

    Found my problem. I had opened my Linux firewall for CUPS, but not for
    Samba.

    Doug.

  5. Re: Mandriva 2008.1 with printer -- need to share with WinXP

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> Marc Paré wrote:

    >>> No need to answer. I did MCC then activated the SMB sharing in the
    >>> network section and then used the "Add printer" on WinXP and added the
    >>> printer as a networked printer. Works.
    >>>
    >>> Marc
    >>>

    >> You lucky guy! I have been struggling with this issue for over a year.
    >> An
    >> Epson MFC printer worked perfectly with Adobe's winsteng.exe. Then it
    >> died, and I bought a Brother MFC (for Brother's supporting Linux, which
    >> was
    >> still a bit shaky back then. Their updated driver is better than the
    >> original, and they tell you how to set up printing to a server in your
    >> CUPS
    >> config.) It printed documents (but not from Acrobat Reader) with a custom
    >> smb.conf. Then it stopped working. I did it the way you did, and WinXP
    >> couldn't see my printer at all. That may have had something to do with
    >> selecting user-level security in Samba. Or it could be something to do
    >> with my firewall (Computer Associates/Vet: at least the WinXP firewall is
    >> designed to cope with this situation.) I am currently looking at a printer
    >> server, to take the printer right out of Samba. Netgear's site says that
    >> for an MFC, only printing will be networked, unless specified otherwise in
    >> its server list.
    >>
    >> According to all the books, the setup should be as simple as you found it,
    >> but Murphy is one of my cousins. If you did it, I will try again. Part
    >> of the reason for this reply is for those that come after, to document
    >> possible places to look, if theirs doesn't work.
    >>
    >> Doug.
    >>

    > Found my problem. I had opened my Linux firewall for CUPS, but not for
    > Samba.
    >
    > Doug.

    Nice to hear that it worked out! I had found the same as you.

    Marc

+ Reply to Thread