Xforms and Nvidia seem highly incompatible - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Xforms and Nvidia seem highly incompatible - Mandriva ; We have a lage number of crucial programs which use xforms ( libxforms) a gui development package which unfortunately seems to have lost its developers and supporters. Anyway under Mandriva 2008.1, on an Nvidia machine with the Nvidia driver, the ...

  1. Xforms and Nvidia seem highly incompatible

    We have a lage number of crucial programs which use xforms ( libxforms) a
    gui development package which unfortunately seems to have lost its developers and supporters.
    Anyway under Mandriva 2008.1, on an Nvidia machine with the Nvidia driver,
    the resizing and moving of an Xforms window has slowed to a complete crawl.
    It takes many many seconds to move or resize. xforms works fine on other
    systems ( eg ATI, or Intel graphics) but something is seriously wrong under
    nvidia. Has anyone else seen this problem and/or have a solution for it. Is
    there some real problem with Nvidia and X?

  2. Re: Xforms and Nvidia seem highly incompatible

    On Monday 18 August 2008 20:45, someone identifying as *Unruh* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > We have a lage number of crucial programs which use xforms ( libxforms) a
    > gui development package which unfortunately seems to have lost its
    > developers and supporters. Anyway under Mandriva 2008.1, on an Nvidia
    > machine with the Nvidia driver, the resizing and moving of an Xforms
    > window has slowed to a complete crawl. It takes many many seconds to move
    > or resize. xforms works fine on other systems ( eg ATI, or Intel graphics)
    > but something is seriously wrong under nvidia. Has anyone else seen this
    > problem and/or have a solution for it. Is there some real problem with
    > Nvidia and X?

    There is indeed a problem with the latest proprietary driver from nVidia and
    certain libraries. This has already been filed as bug with several
    GNU/Linux distributors and with nVidia themselves, so I would expect an
    updated driver to be released any time soon.

    Hope this helps... ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: Xforms and Nvidia seem highly incompatible

    * Aragorn wrote in alt.os.linux:

    > On Monday 18 August 2008 20:45, someone identifying as *Unruh* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> We have a lage number of crucial programs which use xforms (
    >> libxforms) a gui development package which unfortunately seems to
    >> have lost its developers and supporters. Anyway under Mandriva
    >> 2008.1, on an Nvidia machine with the Nvidia driver, the resizing and
    >> moving of an Xforms window has slowed to a complete crawl. It takes
    >> many many seconds to move or resize. xforms works fine on other
    >> systems ( eg ATI, or Intel graphics) but something is seriously wrong
    >> under nvidia. Has anyone else seen this problem and/or have a
    >> solution for it. Is there some real problem with Nvidia and X?

    > There is indeed a problem with the latest proprietary driver from
    > nVidia and certain libraries. This has already been filed as bug with
    > several GNU/Linux distributors and with nVidia themselves, so I would
    > expect an updated driver to be released any time soon.
    >
    > Hope this helps... ;-)

    DUDE! Youre back?

    --
    David

  4. Re: Xforms and Nvidia seem highly incompatible

    On Monday 18 August 2008 21:09, someone identifying as *SINNER* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > * Aragorn wrote in alt.os.linux:
    >
    >> On Monday 18 August 2008 20:45, someone identifying as *Unruh* wrote
    >> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >>
    >>> We have a lage number of crucial programs which use xforms (
    >>> libxforms) a gui development package which unfortunately seems to
    >>> have lost its developers and supporters. Anyway under Mandriva
    >>> 2008.1, on an Nvidia machine with the Nvidia driver, the resizing and
    >>> moving of an Xforms window has slowed to a complete crawl. It takes
    >>> many many seconds to move or resize. xforms works fine on other
    >>> systems ( eg ATI, or Intel graphics) but something is seriously wrong
    >>> under nvidia. Has anyone else seen this problem and/or have a
    >>> solution for it. Is there some real problem with Nvidia and X?

    >> There is indeed a problem with the latest proprietary driver from
    >> nVidia and certain libraries. This has already been filed as bug with
    >> several GNU/Linux distributors and with nVidia themselves, so I would
    >> expect an updated driver to be released any time soon.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps... ;-)

    > DUDE! Youre back?

    Hehe, have been for quite some time already, although I'm not
    in /alt.os.linux/ - this thread got crossposted there by the OP, so...
    :-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: Xforms and Nvidia seem highly incompatible

    * Aragorn wrote in alt.os.linux:

    > On Monday 18 August 2008 21:09, someone identifying as *SINNER* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> * Aragorn wrote in alt.os.linux:
    >>
    >>> On Monday 18 August 2008 20:45, someone identifying as *Unruh* wrote
    >>> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    >>> There is indeed a problem with the latest proprietary driver from
    >>> nVidia and certain libraries. This has already been filed as bug
    >>> with several GNU/Linux distributors and with nVidia themselves, so I
    >>> would expect an updated driver to be released any time soon.
    >>>
    >>> Hope this helps... ;-)

    >> DUDE! Youre back?

    > Hehe, have been for quite some time already, although I'm not
    > in /alt.os.linux/ - this thread got crossposted there by the OP, so...
    >:-)

    Well, nice to see you back, I left Mandr* long ago for Ubunutu.

    --
    David

  6. Re: Xforms and Nvidia seem highly incompatible

    On Monday 18 August 2008 22:42, someone identifying as *SINNER* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > * Aragorn wrote in alt.os.linux:
    >
    >> On Monday 18 August 2008 21:09, someone identifying as *SINNER* wrote
    >> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >>
    >>> DUDE! Youre back?

    >> Hehe, have been for quite some time already, although I'm not
    >> in /alt.os.linux/ - this thread got crossposted there by the OP, so...
    >>:-)

    > Well, nice to see you back, I left Mandr* long ago for Ubunutu.

    Nice to see you too! :-) Well, for now I'm still running an old Mandrake
    10.0 on this machine here, but I'll upgrade it to a recent Mandriva release
    once I got my other machine set up first, and that one will have several
    instances of Gentoo, running concurrently atop the Xen hypervisor. :-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

+ Reply to Thread