is it possible to SSH to a dynamic dns address? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on is it possible to SSH to a dynamic dns address? - Mandriva ; Hi all, I am working my way through the tldp Introduction to Linux. Just read the bit on ssh, I am wondering if it is possible to access a machine with a dynamic dns address? Will it cause any problems ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: is it possible to SSH to a dynamic dns address?

  1. is it possible to SSH to a dynamic dns address?

    Hi all,
    I am working my way through the tldp Introduction to Linux. Just
    read the bit on ssh, I am wondering if it is possible to access
    a machine with a dynamic dns address?

    Will it cause any problems with authentication at the target end
    or the initiating end?

    I can see some applications for this is (like accessing my
    machine from a friends house)

    Regards Chris Roy-Smith

  2. Re: is it possible to SSH to a dynamic dns address?

    On Monday 18 August 2008 09:30, someone identifying as *Chris Roy-Smith*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Hi all,
    > I am working my way through the tldp Introduction to Linux. Just
    > read the bit on ssh, I am wondering if it is possible to access
    > a machine with a dynamic dns address?


    Yes, it is.

    > Will it cause any problems with authentication at the target end
    > or the initiating end?


    Normally not, but the easiest way would be to use a service like...

    http://www.dyndns.com

    .... to keep your hostname in sync with your IP address shifts. I even
    believe Mandriva comes with a script for use with that service - or at
    least, it used to.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: is it possible to SSH to a dynamic dns address?

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Monday 18 August 2008 09:30, someone identifying as *Chris
    > Roy-Smith* wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> I am working my way through the tldp Introduction to Linux.
    >> Just read the bit on ssh, I am wondering if it is possible to
    >> access a machine with a dynamic dns address?

    >
    > Yes, it is.
    >
    >> Will it cause any problems with authentication at the target
    >> end or the initiating end?

    >
    > Normally not, but the easiest way would be to use a service
    > like...
    >
    > http://www.dyndns.com
    >
    > ... to keep your hostname in sync with your IP address shifts.
    > I even believe Mandriva comes with a script for use with that
    > service - or at least, it used to.
    >

    Thanks Aragorn,
    I have a dyndns.org account already, which is what got me
    wondering. My router does all the work already, so I'll try it
    out when I get a chance.

  4. Re: is it possible to SSH to a dynamic dns address?



    Chris Roy-Smith wrote:
    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Monday 18 August 2008 09:30, someone identifying as *Chris
    >> Roy-Smith* wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> I am working my way through the tldp Introduction to Linux.
    >>> Just read the bit on ssh, I am wondering if it is possible to
    >>> access a machine with a dynamic dns address?

    >> Yes, it is.
    >>
    >>> Will it cause any problems with authentication at the target
    >>> end or the initiating end?

    >> Normally not, but the easiest way would be to use a service
    >> like...
    >>
    >> http://www.dyndns.com
    >>
    >> ... to keep your hostname in sync with your IP address shifts.
    >> I even believe Mandriva comes with a script for use with that
    >> service - or at least, it used to.
    >>

    > Thanks Aragorn,
    > I have a dyndns.org account already, which is what got me
    > wondering. My router does all the work already, so I'll try it
    > out when I get a chance.

    keep an eye on that ddns account with the router updateing it, I have
    tried that once before and the router didn't update it at all, I just
    used a ddclient program running on my server to keep it working.

  5. Re: is it possible to SSH to a dynamic dns address?

    chris gareau wrote:

    >
    >
    > Chris Roy-Smith wrote:
    >> Aragorn wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Monday 18 August 2008 09:30, someone identifying as *Chris
    >>> Roy-Smith* wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >>>
    >>>> Hi all,
    >>>> I am working my way through the tldp Introduction to Linux.
    >>>> Just read the bit on ssh, I am wondering if it is possible
    >>>> to access a machine with a dynamic dns address?
    >>> Yes, it is.
    >>>
    >>>> Will it cause any problems with authentication at the target
    >>>> end or the initiating end?
    >>> Normally not, but the easiest way would be to use a service
    >>> like...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.dyndns.com
    >>>
    >>> ... to keep your hostname in sync with your IP address
    >>> shifts. I even believe Mandriva comes with a script for use
    >>> with that service - or at least, it used to.
    >>>

    >> Thanks Aragorn,
    >> I have a dyndns.org account already, which is what got me
    >> wondering. My router does all the work already, so I'll try it
    >> out when I get a chance.

    > keep an eye on that ddns account with the router updateing it,
    > I have tried that once before and the router didn't update it
    > at all, I just used a ddclient program running on my server to
    > keep it working.


    Thanks for the "Heads Up". I have had the router running ddns for
    about 18 months so far without any problems (that I have
    noticed)

    Regards Chris Roy-Smith

+ Reply to Thread