Problem with ntfs-3g - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Problem with ntfs-3g - Mandriva ; Using Mandriva 2008.1. ntfs-3g was working well, but after any filesystem problem on the Windows partition, ntfs puts up a message about write access being requested on a read-only filesystem, and refuses to do it unless forced to. In the ...

  1. Problem with ntfs-3g

    Using Mandriva 2008.1. ntfs-3g was working well, but after any filesystem
    problem on the Windows partition, ntfs puts up a message about write access
    being requested on a read-only filesystem, and refuses to do it unless
    forced to. In the past, running chkdisk in Windows fixed the problem, but
    this time it still refuses. (What I did wrong was to try to delete an
    unzipped directory created by Windows. Windows tried to delete the files
    from the original .zip file on my Ext3 partition and hung, so I forced a
    reboot.)

    I can see the message go past during bootup, but it is too lengthy to read
    in full. It isn't output by dmesg. How can I catch the entire message?

    TIA,

    Doug.
    ---
    Life would be much simpler with no Windows at all, but we can't have a
    perfect world...

  2. Re: Problem with ntfs-3g

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 07:25:33 -0400, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I can see the message go past during bootup, but it is too lengthy to read
    > in full. It isn't output by dmesg. How can I catch the entire message?

    I'm not sure why chkdsk isn't fixing the problem. To see the entire message,
    I'd try adding noauto to the fstab entry, and then manually mounting the
    partition.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Problem with ntfs-3g

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 07:25:33 -0400, Doug Laidlaw
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I can see the message go past during bootup, but it is too lengthy to
    >> read
    >> in full. It isn't output by dmesg. How can I catch the entire message?

    > I'm not sure why chkdsk isn't fixing the problem. To see the entire
    > message, I'd try adding noauto to the fstab entry, and then manually
    > mounting the partition.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks Dave. Either the message doesn't get saved to dmesg's buffer, or the
    buffer isn't large enough. The "Ubuntu Special" edition of Linux Mag tells
    how to have a text bootup instead of a graphical one. In an early Linux
    book from a newsagent, it tells how to prevent the messages from clearing,
    so that I can scroll back, but that will be limited by buffer size, as
    well.

    After further swapping into Windows since I posted, everything is O.K. for
    now.

    Doug.

+ Reply to Thread