USB speakers question - Mandriva

This is a discussion on USB speakers question - Mandriva ; Hi all! I'm using MD 2008. I'm having problems with my USB speakers, Trust SP-2930p. I have them plugged into an Apple wide screen. (I also use an an Apple keyboard) Using Audacity and setting Preferences/Playback to 'C-media USB Audio' ...

  1. USB speakers question

    Hi all!

    I'm using MD 2008.
    I'm having problems with my USB speakers, Trust SP-2930p.
    I have them plugged into an Apple wide screen.
    (I also use an an Apple keyboard)

    Using Audacity and setting Preferences/Playback to 'C-media USB Audio' the
    speakers work OK. And now I can change volume using Kmix where they show up
    as 'C-media USB Audio'.

    They show up here

    #lsusb
    Unknown line at line 2389
    Bus 008 Device 007: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Multi Card Reader
    Bus 008 Device 006: ID 0d8c:0103 C-Media Electronics, Inc. <-----------
    Bus 008 Device 005: ID 05ac:921b Apple Computer, Inc.
    Bus 008 Device 004: ID 05ac:911b Apple Computer, Inc.
    Bus 008 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 007 Device 003: ID 05ac:0221 Apple Computer, Inc.
    Bus 007 Device 002: ID 05ac:1006 Apple Computer, Inc.
    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 006 Device 002: ID 09da:000a A4 Tech Co., Ltd
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

    Except when using Audacity no sound goes through the speakers.
    Trying line out with headphones I have sound.

    How can I set up alsa (?) to route all sound through the speakers.
    After googling I have tried alsamixer -c 1 as someone suggested.
    I also have tried to set my user to belong to the audio group as suggested
    by someone who have a similar pair of speakers work with 2008.1 and
    pulseaudio.

    Thanks

  2. Re: USB speakers question

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 06:54:48 -0400, Iordani wrote:

    > Except when using Audacity no sound goes through the speakers.
    > Trying line out with headphones I have sound.

    See http://www.linuxcompatible.org/SP-27...et_c13859.html

    The PulseAudio Volume Control is /usr/bin/pavucontrol.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: USB speakers question

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 06:54:48 -0400, Iordani
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Except when using Audacity no sound goes through the speakers.
    >> Trying line out with headphones I have sound.

    > See http://www.linuxcompatible.org/SP-27...et_c13859.html
    >
    > The PulseAudio Volume Control is /usr/bin/pavucontrol.

    Thanks!
    That is one of the links I found when googling for a solution.
    Pulseaudio is not installed by default on my 2008 system.
    Doing so and trying to start it just gave error messages so I uninstalled
    it.

    I have now reinstalled it and also had to install pavucontrol separately.
    (one would expect the pulseaudio install to take care of that, no?)
    Running it from terminal gives a popup window with "Connection failed
    Connection refused" shows up and then
    (pavucontrol:7233): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_main_quit: assertion `main_loops !=
    NULL' failed
    in the terminal window.

    Trying pulseadio gives
    W: main.c: WARNING: called SUID root, but not in group 'pulse-rt'.
    E: caps.c: failed to drop capabilities: Operation not permitted
    E: main.c: Failed to create '/tmp/pulse-clazze': Operation not permitted

    Maybe some dependency problem and thats's way over my head.
    Any way I can make the speakers work without pulseaudio/pavucontrol?
    Seems it would be possible since they work in Audacity.

  4. Re: USB speakers question

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:20:07 -0400, Iordani wrote:

    > Pulseaudio is not installed by default on my 2008 system.

    I gather this is a 2008.0 system. Sorry if you mentioned that before, and
    I missed it. PulseAudio is installed by default on 2008.1.

    > Doing so and trying to start it just gave error messages so I uninstalled
    > it.

    One of the packages that gets installed with pulseaudio is (or should be)
    pulseaudio-module-x11, which starts the pulseaudio deamon when x starts,
    so you'll have to restart x, after installing it. The actual startup script
    is in /etc/X11/xinit.d/50pulseaudio.

    > Any way I can make the speakers work without pulseaudio/pavucontrol?
    > Seems it would be possible since they work in Audacity.

    Try restarting the X server. If that fails, we can try other methods, but
    that will probably depend on which window manager you are using. Are you
    using KDE, Gnome, or something else?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: USB speakers question

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:20:07 -0400, Iordani
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Pulseaudio is not installed by default on my 2008 system.

    > I gather this is a 2008.0 system. Sorry if you mentioned that before, and
    > I missed it. PulseAudio is installed by default on 2008.1.
    >
    >> Doing so and trying to start it just gave error messages so I uninstalled
    >> it.

    > One of the packages that gets installed with pulseaudio is (or should be)
    > pulseaudio-module-x11, which starts the pulseaudio deamon when x starts,
    > so you'll have to restart x, after installing it. The actual startup
    > script is in /etc/X11/xinit.d/50pulseaudio.
    >
    >> Any way I can make the speakers work without pulseaudio/pavucontrol?
    >> Seems it would be possible since they work in Audacity.

    > Try restarting the X server. If that fails, we can try other methods, but
    > that will probably depend on which window manager you are using. Are you
    > using KDE, Gnome, or something else?

    Yes, running 2008.0 PP and KDE.
    Yes, I restarted X as the link advised. No luck. So rebooted just in
    case. Same result.
    There's no file '50pulseaudio' anywhere on my system so I guess I'm back to
    dependencies... first time this happens to me when using a rpm-package.

  6. Re: USB speakers question

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:15:28 -0400, Iordani wrote:

    > Yes, running 2008.0 PP and KDE.
    > There's no file '50pulseaudio' anywhere on my system so I guess I'm back to
    > dependencies... first time this happens to me when using a rpm-package.

    I guess they didn't get the dependencies right till 2008.1, which is probably
    why it isn't installed by default, in 2008.0.

    The startup script is part of the pulseaudio-module-x11 rpm package.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: USB speakers question

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:15:28 -0400, Iordani
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, running 2008.0 PP and KDE.
    >> There's no file '50pulseaudio' anywhere on my system so I guess I'm back
    >> to dependencies... first time this happens to me when using a
    >> rpm-package.

    > I guess they didn't get the dependencies right till 2008.1, which is
    > probably why it isn't installed by default, in 2008.0.
    >
    > The startup script is part of the pulseaudio-module-x11 rpm package.

    This package does not appear in my ordinary software list but I found
    another source. Trying to install I get dependency problems again (missing
    libpulsecore.so.5).
    I found this package and it installed OK
    Tried the pulseaudio-module-x11 rpm package again but it fails due to
    "unsatisfied pulseaudio[==0.9.8-5mdv2008.0]"
    Guessed that meant pulseaudio-0.9.8-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm, found it and tried
    to install but now there is some other dependency problem...

    I suspect I can go on like that for quite a while...

    Well, if there's no other way to do it, I could always return the USB
    speakers and change them to a pair of standard ones.

    Thanks

  8. Re: USB speakers question

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:15:40 -0400, Iordani wrote:

    > Tried the pulseaudio-module-x11 rpm package again but it fails due to
    > "unsatisfied pulseaudio[==0.9.8-5mdv2008.0]"
    > I suspect I can go on like that for quite a while...

    Apparently all of the pulseaudio packages for 2008.0 are in Backports.

    It might be simpler to upgrade to 2008.1.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  9. Re: USB speakers question

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:15:40 -0400, Iordani
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Tried the pulseaudio-module-x11 rpm package again but it fails due to
    >> "unsatisfied pulseaudio[==0.9.8-5mdv2008.0]"
    >> I suspect I can go on like that for quite a while...

    > Apparently all of the pulseaudio packages for 2008.0 are in Backports.
    >
    > It might be simpler to upgrade to 2008.1.

    Yes, thought about that but it feels like I just installed 2008.0.
    I'll keep the speakers and wait for 2009 or later.

    But since Audacity makes them tick, it feels like everything needed is
    around already. Just a matter of knowing how to use it all.

    Thanks anyway

+ Reply to Thread