HIGH mem on laptop kernel - Mandriva

This is a discussion on HIGH mem on laptop kernel - Mandriva ; I got the laptop kernel for mandriva 2008, this is my uname -a Linux localhost 2.6.24.5-laptop-2mnb #1 SMP Thu Jun 12 14:47:38 EDT 2008 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57 GNU/Linux how do i check whether the kernel ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    I got the laptop kernel for mandriva 2008, this is my uname -a

    Linux localhost 2.6.24.5-laptop-2mnb #1 SMP Thu Jun 12 14:47:38 EDT
    2008 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57 GNU/Linux

    how do i check whether the kernel is making use of my 2gb ram?

  2. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    On Sunday 17 August 2008 07:58, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > I got the laptop kernel for mandriva 2008, this is my uname -a
    >
    > Linux localhost 2.6.24.5-laptop-2mnb #1 SMP Thu Jun 12 14:47:38 EDT
    > 2008 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57 GNU/Linux
    >

    > how do i check whether the kernel is making use of my 2gb ram?

    man free

    ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    On Aug 17, 11:19*am, Aragorn wrote:
    > On Sunday 17 August 2008 07:58, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    > > I got the laptop kernel for mandriva 2008, this is my uname -a

    > > Linux localhost 2.6.24.5-laptop-2mnb #1 SMP Thu Jun 12 14:47:38 EDT
    > > 2008 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57 GNU/Linux

    > > how do i check whether the kernel is making use of my 2gb ram?

    > * * * * man free
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > --
    > *Aragorn*
    > (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

    [sindhu@localhost ~]$ free
    total used free shared buffers
    cached
    Mem: 969784 902036 67748 0 12680
    392776
    -/+ buffers/cache: 496580 473204
    Swap: 2192832 89024 2103808

    how do i tell that 2gig ram is being used? :/

  4. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    On Sunday 17 August 2008 10:33, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > On Aug 17, 11:19*am, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Sunday 17 August 2008 07:58, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    >> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >>
    >> > I got the laptop kernel for mandriva 2008, this is my uname -a

    >> > Linux localhost 2.6.24.5-laptop-2mnb #1 SMP Thu Jun 12 14:47:38 EDT
    >> > 2008 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57 GNU/Linux

    >> > how do i check whether the kernel is making use of my 2gb ram?

    >> man free
    >>
    >> ;-)

    > [sindhu@localhost ~]$ free
    > total used free shared buffers
    > cached
    > Mem: 969784 902036 67748 0 12680
    > 392776
    > -/+ buffers/cache: 496580 473204
    > Swap: 2192832 89024 2103808
    >
    > how do i tell that 2gig ram is being used? :/

    You could try by passing /mem=2048M/ or something similar to the kernel - it
    works on a CentOS server we have that also only recognized the first Gig by
    default - but if it doesn't work then you'll have to look for a kernel that
    supports up to 4 GB.

    Mandriva normally does ship with several different kernel configurations,
    but if none is available - which I doubt - then you could always
    reconfigure and recompile the kernel. It's really not that hard to do.
    You will however need the kernel sources package for that - it should be on
    your CD/DVD - not just the kernel headers.

    On the other hand, if this is a recent laptop, then it'll have a 64-bit
    processor and then the above limitation won't apply if you install a 64-bit
    distribution.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    On Aug 17, 3:03*pm, Aragorn wrote:
    > On Sunday 17 August 2008 10:33, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >

    > > On Aug 17, 11:19*am, Aragorn wrote:

    > >> On Sunday 17 August 2008 07:58, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    > >> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > >> man free

    > >> ;-)

    > > [sindhu@localhost ~]$ free
    > > * * * * * * *total * * * used * * * free * * shared * *buffers
    > > cached
    > > Mem: * * * *969784 * * 902036 * * *67748 * * * * *0 * * *12680
    > > 392776
    > > -/+ buffers/cache: * * 496580 * * 473204
    > > Swap: * * *2192832 * * *89024 * *2103808

    > > how do i tell that 2gig ram is being used? :/

    > You could try by passing /mem=2048M/ or something similar to the kernel- it
    > works on a CentOS server we have that also only recognized the first Gig by
    > default - but if it doesn't work then you'll have to look for a kernel that
    > supports up to 4 GB. *
    >
    > Mandriva normally does ship with several different kernel configurations,
    > but if none is available - which I doubt - then you could always
    > reconfigure and recompile the kernel. *It's really not that hard to do.
    > You will however need the kernel sources package for that - it should be on
    > your CD/DVD - not just the kernel headers.
    >
    > On the other hand, if this is a recent laptop, then it'll have a 64-bit
    > processor and then the above limitation won't apply if you install a 64-bit
    > distribution.
    >
    > --
    > *Aragorn*
    > (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

    I think recompiling the kernel would be a good idea, but what am
    afraid if i;d do that i might mess up the system. would it? what are
    the worst cases possible?

    yes, this is a recent laptop, but i do not want to reinstall mandriva
    system espcially not a 64 bit system, because a lot of people said i
    should stick to 32bit...

  6. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Sunday 17 August 2008 10:33, someone identifying as *Sindhu*
    > wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> On Aug 17, 11:19*am, Aragorn
    >> wrote:

    >>> man free
    >>>
    >>> ;-)

    >> [sindhu@localhost ~]$ free
    >> total used free shared buffers
    >> cached
    >> Mem: 969784 902036 67748 0 12680
    >> 392776
    >> -/+ buffers/cache: 496580 473204
    >> Swap: 2192832 89024 2103808
    >>
    >> how do i tell that 2gig ram is being used? :/

    > You could try by passing /mem=2048M/ or something similar to
    > the kernel - it works on a CentOS server we have that also only
    > recognized the first Gig by default - but if it doesn't work
    > then you'll have to look for a kernel that supports up to 4 GB.
    >
    > Mandriva normally does ship with several different kernel
    > configurations, but if none is available - which I doubt - then
    > you could always
    > reconfigure and recompile the kernel. It's really not that
    > hard to do. You will however need the kernel sources package
    > for that - it should be on your CD/DVD - not just the kernel
    > headers.
    >
    > On the other hand, if this is a recent laptop, then it'll have
    > a 64-bit processor and then the above limitation won't apply if
    > you install a 64-bit distribution.

    Standard 'laptop' kernel supports up to 4GB - see here for
    detail:
    http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=87727

    HTH
    Syd

  7. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    On Sunday 17 August 2008 12:11, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > On Aug 17, 3:03*pm, Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Sunday 17 August 2008 10:33, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    >> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >>
    >> > [sindhu@localhost ~]$ free
    >> > total * * * used * * * free * * shared * *buffers
    >> > cached
    >> > Mem: * * * *969784 * * 902036 * * *67748 * * * * *0 * * *12680
    >> > 392776
    >> > -/+ buffers/cache: * * 496580 * * 473204
    >> > Swap: * * *2192832 * * *89024 * *2103808

    >> > how do i tell that 2gig ram is being used? :/

    >> You could try by passing /mem=2048M/ or something similar to the kernel -
    >> it works on a CentOS server we have that also only recognized the first
    >> Gig by default - but if it doesn't work then you'll have to look for a
    >> kernel that supports up to 4 GB.
    >>
    >> Mandriva normally does ship with several different kernel configurations,
    >> but if none is available - which I doubt - then you could always
    >> reconfigure and recompile the kernel. *It's really not that hard to do.
    >> You will however need the kernel sources package for that - it should be
    >> on your CD/DVD - not just the kernel headers.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, if this is a recent laptop, then it'll have a 64-bit
    >> processor and then the above limitation won't apply if you install a
    >> 64-bit distribution.

    > I think recompiling the kernel would be a good idea, but what am
    > afraid if i;d do that i might mess up the system. would it? what are
    > the worst cases possible?

    You should always keep a working kernel handy - your bootloader supports
    that - in case your freshly compiled kernel won't boot or has other
    problems.

    This said however, you needn't change too much. Just follow the
    instructions and only concern yourself with the processor type and the
    memory support you want. They're configured pretty early in the
    configuration utility. You can leave everything else at its
    Mandriva-chosen settings.

    Also, don't use */usr/src/linux* for compiling the kernel. Install the
    sources in your home directory and compile it there.

    > yes, this is a recent laptop, but i do not want to reinstall mandriva
    > system espcially not a 64 bit system, because a lot of people said i
    > should stick to 32bit...

    That's just a matter of opinion because some third-party software may not
    work or exist in a 64-bit version, but then there are other ways to get
    them to work. A 64-bit GNU/Linux system normally supports running 32-bit
    software out of the box.

    There are of course those who will say that there is little to gain from
    running a 64-bit distribution - but by the same token, there is also little
    to lose - but I myself would find it a terrible waste of perfectly good
    hardware to have a 64-bit computer with only a 32-bit operating system on
    it.

    It's almost as bad as installing Windows on /any/ computer.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  8. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    On Aug 17, 3:48*pm, Aragorn wrote:
    > On Sunday 17 August 2008 12:11, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >

    > > On Aug 17, 3:03*pm, Aragorn wrote:

    > >> On Sunday 17 August 2008 10:33, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    > >> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > >> You could try by passing /mem=2048M/ or something similar to the kernel -
    > >> it works on a CentOS server we have that also only recognized the first
    > >> Gig by default - but if it doesn't work then you'll have to look for a
    > >> kernel that supports up to 4 GB.

    > >> Mandriva normally does ship with several different kernel configurations,
    > >> but if none is available - which I doubt - then you could always
    > >> reconfigure and recompile the kernel. *It's really not that hard to do.
    > >> You will however need the kernel sources package for that - it should be
    > >> on your CD/DVD - not just the kernel headers.

    > >> On the other hand, if this is a recent laptop, then it'll have a 64-bit
    > >> processor and then the above limitation won't apply if you install a
    > >> 64-bit distribution.

    > > I think recompiling the kernel would be a good idea, but what am
    > > afraid if i;d do that i might mess up the system. would it? what are
    > > the worst cases possible?

    > You should always keep a working kernel handy - your bootloader supports
    > that - in case your freshly compiled kernel won't boot or has other
    > problems.
    >
    > This said however, you needn't change too much. *Just follow the
    > instructions and only concern yourself with the processor type and the
    > memory support you want. *They're configured pretty early in the
    > configuration utility. *You can leave everything else at its
    > Mandriva-chosen settings.
    >
    > Also, don't use */usr/src/linux* for compiling the kernel. *Install the
    > sources in your home directory and compile it there.
    >
    > > yes, this is a recent laptop, but i do not want to reinstall mandriva
    > > system espcially not a 64 bit system, because a lot of people said i
    > > should stick to 32bit...

    > That's just a matter of opinion because some third-party software may not
    > work or exist in a 64-bit version, but then there are other ways to get
    > them to work. *A 64-bit GNU/Linux system normally supports running 32-bit
    > software out of the box.
    >
    > There are of course those who will say that there is little to gain from
    > running a 64-bit distribution - but by the same token, there is also little
    > to lose - but I myself would find it a terrible waste of perfectly good
    > hardware to have a 64-bit computer with only a 32-bit operating system on
    > it.
    >
    > It's almost as bad as installing Windows on /any/ computer.
    >
    > --
    > *Aragorn*
    > (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

    yes, i totally agree on the last part you said Aragon.

    I will read up the link provided syd, thank you. will report back if i
    have more questions, thanks all.

  9. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Sunday 17 August 2008 10:33, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> On Aug 17, 11:19 am, Aragorn wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sunday 17 August 2008 07:58, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    >>> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    >>> man free
    >>>
    >>> ;-)

    >> [sindhu@localhost ~]$ free
    >> total used free shared buffers
    >> cached
    >> Mem: 969784 902036 67748 0 12680
    >> 392776
    >> -/+ buffers/cache: 496580 473204
    >> Swap: 2192832 89024 2103808
    >>
    >> how do i tell that 2gig ram is being used? :/

    > You could try by passing /mem=2048M/ or something similar to the kernel - it
    > works on a CentOS server we have that also only recognized the first Gig by
    > default - but if it doesn't work then you'll have to look for a kernel that
    > supports up to 4 GB.

    Load Mandriva Linux Control Center (mcc from the command line),
    then to Boot, then to Set up boot system, then to Advanced, and
    specify memory size in MB. Then finish up.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  10. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    On Aug 17, 7:09*pm, Jim Beard wrote:
    > Aragorn wrote:
    > > On Sunday 17 August 2008 10:33, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    > > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > >> [sindhu@localhost ~]$ free
    > >> * * * * * * *total * * * used * * * free ** shared * *buffers
    > >> cached
    > >> Mem: * * * *969784 * * 902036 * * *67748 * * ** *0 * * *12680
    > >> 392776
    > >> -/+ buffers/cache: * * 496580 * * 473204
    > >> Swap: * * *2192832 * * *89024 * *2103808

    > >> how do i tell that 2gig ram is being used? :/

    > > You could try by passing /mem=2048M/ or something similar to the kernel - it
    > > works on a CentOS server we have that also only recognized the first Gig by
    > > default - but if it doesn't work then you'll have to look for a kernel that
    > > supports up to 4 GB. *

    > Load Mandriva Linux Control Center (mcc from the command line),
    > then to Boot, then to Set up boot system, then to Advanced, and
    > specify memory size in MB. *Then finish up.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.
    >
    > --
    > UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    > * * * expects users to be computer-friendly.

    2Gb would be 2048Mb, should i type that in there? are you sure?

  11. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    Sindhu wrote:
    > On Aug 17, 7:09 pm, Jim Beard wrote:
    >> Aragorn wrote:
    >>> On Sunday 17 August 2008 10:33, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    >>> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >>> You could try by passing /mem=2048M/ or something similar to the kernel - it
    >>> works on a CentOS server we have that also only recognized the first Gig by
    >>> default - but if it doesn't work then you'll have to look for a kernel that
    >>> supports up to 4 GB.

    >> Load Mandriva Linux Control Center (mcc from the command line),
    >> then to Boot, then to Set up boot system, then to Advanced, and
    >> specify memory size in MB. Then finish up.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>
    >> --
    >> UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    >> expects users to be computer-friendly.

    > 2Gb would be 2048Mb, should i type that in there? are you sure?

    Type in "2048" or "2000" (minus the quotation marks), as you wish.
    Either shoule work. The latter will shortchange you by 48 MB RAM,
    but if you have one or more bad areas on a RAM chip that area will
    be the first to be delisted from available memory so the actual loss
    may be less than 48 MB.

    Still, enter 2048 and if there is a bad area the kernel will find
    it and remove it from free memory, so either way should work.

    Cheers!

    jim b.
    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  12. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    On Aug 17, 8:13*pm, Jim Beard wrote:
    > Sindhu wrote:
    > >> Load Mandriva Linux Control Center (mcc from the command line),
    > >> then to Boot, then to Set up boot system, then to Advanced, and
    > >> specify memory size in MB. *Then finish up.

    > >> Cheers!

    > >> jim b.

    > >> --
    > >> UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    > >> * * * expects users to be computer-friendly.

    > > 2Gb would be 2048Mb, should i type that in there? are you sure?

    > Type in "2048" or "2000" (minus the quotation marks), as you wish.
    > Either shoule work. *The latter will shortchange you by 48 MB RAM,
    > but if you have one or more bad areas on a RAM chip that area will
    > be the first to be delisted from available memory so the actual loss
    > may be less than 48 MB.
    >
    > Still, enter 2048 and if there is a bad area the kernel will find
    > it and remove it from free memory, so either way should work.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.
    > --
    > UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    > * * * expects users to be computer-friendly.

    Thanks will try it.

  13. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 01:33:10 -0700, Sindhu wrote:

    > [sindhu@localhost ~]$ free
    > total used free shared buffers
    > cached
    > Mem: 969784 902036 67748 0 12680 392776
    > -/+ buffers/cache: 496580 473204 Swap: 2192832 89024
    > 2103808
    >
    > how do i tell that 2gig ram is being used? :/

    969784 = 969MB. It's not seeing 2GB. I have 2 GB:

    [wes@wes2 ~]$ free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 1946056 1898908 47148 0 1332 1499852
    -/+ buffers/cache: 397724 1548332
    Swap: 811240 228 811012

  14. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    On Aug 17, 11:06*pm, Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 01:33:10 -0700, Sindhu wrote:
    > > [sindhu@localhost ~]$ free
    > > * * * * * * *total * * * used * * * free * * shared * *buffers
    > > cached
    > > Mem: * * * *969784 * * 902036 * * *67748 * * * * *0 * * *12680 392776
    > > -/+ buffers/cache: * * 496580 * * 473204 Swap: * * *2192832 * * *89024 *
    > > *2103808

    > > how do i tell that 2gig ram is being used? :/

    > 969784 = 969MB. It's not seeing 2GB. I have 2 GB:
    >
    > [wes@wes2 ~]$ free
    > * * * * * * *total * * * used * * * free * * shared * *buffers * * cached
    > Mem: * * * 1946056 * *1898908 * * *47148 * * * * *0 * * * 1332 * *1499852
    > -/+ buffers/cache: * * 397724 * *1548332
    > Swap: * * * 811240 * * * *228 * * 811012
    >
    > --
    > Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder?http://mythtv.org
    > My Tivo Experiencehttp://wesnewell.no-ip.com/tivo.htm
    > Tivo HD/S3 comparedhttp://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    > AMD cpu helphttp://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php

    I tried entering in mcc, bootloader config, but next time i restarted
    it there is no change, still doesnt recgonize all my ram.

  15. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    On Aug 23, 10:17*pm, Sindhu wrote:
    > On Aug 17, 11:06*pm, Wes Newell wrote:
    >

    > > On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 01:33:10 -0700, Sindhu wrote:
    > > > [sindhu@localhost ~]$ free
    > > > * * * * * * *total * * * used * * * free * * shared * *buffers
    > > > cached
    > > > Mem: * * * *969784 * * 902036 * * *67748 * * * * *0 * * *12680 392776
    > > > -/+ buffers/cache: * * 496580 * * 473204 Swap: * * *2192832 * * *89024 *
    > > > *2103808

    > > > how do i tell that 2gig ram is being used? :/

    > > 969784 = 969MB. It's not seeing 2GB. I have 2 GB:

    > > [wes@wes2 ~]$ free
    > > * * * * * * *total * * * used * * * free * * shared * *buffers * * cached
    > > Mem: * * * 1946056 * *1898908 * * *47148 * * * * *0 * * * 1332 * *1499852
    > > -/+ buffers/cache: * * 397724 * *1548332
    > > Swap: * * * 811240 * * * *228 * * 811012

    > > --
    > > Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder?http://mythtv.org
    > > My Tivo Experiencehttp://wesnewell.no-ip.com/tivo.htm
    > > Tivo HD/S3 comparedhttp://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    > > AMD cpu helphttp://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php

    > I tried entering in mcc, bootloader config, but next time i restarted
    > it there is no change, still doesnt recgonize all my ram.

    http://pastebin.ca/1182544 > this is my dmesg, i always boot into
    laptop kernel, which supports 4gb mem, but still it is not recgonising
    the 2gig RAM

  16. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 13:23:33 -0400, Sindhu wrote:

    > http://pastebin.ca/1182544 > this is my dmesg, i always boot into
    > laptop kernel, which supports 4gb mem, but still it is not recgonising
    > the 2gig RAM

    I'd check in the bios setup, to see what the memory settings are there,
    partitularly related to possible shadowing of rom, that doesn't exist.

    In my desktop, also with 2GB of ram, I currently get ...
    # free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 2075864 792620 1283244 0 4036 419760
    -/+ buffers/cache: 368824 1707040
    Swap: 3140668 0 3140668

    And in /var/log/dmesg, ...
    BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
    BIOS-e820: 0000000000000000 - 000000000009f800 (usable)
    BIOS-e820: 000000000009f800 - 00000000000a0000 (reserved)
    BIOS-e820: 00000000000f0000 - 0000000000100000 (reserved)
    BIOS-e820: 0000000000100000 - 000000007fff0000 (usable)
    BIOS-e820: 000000007fff0000 - 000000007fff3000 (ACPI NVS)
    BIOS-e820: 000000007fff3000 - 0000000080000000 (ACPI data)
    BIOS-e820: 00000000fec00000 - 0000000100000000 (reserved)
    1151MB HIGHMEM available.
    896MB LOWMEM available

    Some motherboards require the cmos to be cleared, when changes are made to
    the amount, or type of ram installed.

    What is the make and model of the laptop?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  17. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    >> http://pastebin.ca/1182544 > this is my dmesg, i always boot into
    >> laptop kernel, which supports 4gb mem, but still it is not recgonising
    >> the 2gig RAM

    > I'd check in the bios setup, to see what the memory settings are there,
    > partitularly related to possible shadowing of rom, that doesn't exist.
    >
    > In my desktop, also with 2GB of ram, I currently get ...
    > # free
    > total used free shared buffers cached
    > Mem: 2075864 792620 1283244 0 4036 419760
    > -/+ buffers/cache: 368824 1707040
    > Swap: 3140668 0 3140668
    >
    > And in /var/log/dmesg, ...
    > BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
    > BIOS-e820: 0000000000000000 - 000000000009f800 (usable)
    > BIOS-e820: 000000000009f800 - 00000000000a0000 (reserved)
    > BIOS-e820: 00000000000f0000 - 0000000000100000 (reserved)
    > BIOS-e820: 0000000000100000 - 000000007fff0000 (usable)
    > BIOS-e820: 000000007fff0000 - 000000007fff3000 (ACPI NVS)
    > BIOS-e820: 000000007fff3000 - 0000000080000000 (ACPI data)
    > BIOS-e820: 00000000fec00000 - 0000000100000000 (reserved)
    > 1151MB HIGHMEM available.
    > 896MB LOWMEM available
    >
    > Some motherboards require the cmos to be cleared, when changes are made to
    > the amount, or type of ram installed.
    >
    > What is the make and model of the laptop?
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    If the BIOS settings are not the problem, the next question is
    whether the RAM is properly seated in the sockets, and whether the
    RAM is in fact good.

    Have you tried running memtest for a few hours?

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  18. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    On Aug 24, 5:11*am, Jim Beard wrote:
    > David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > >>http://pastebin.ca/1182544> this is my dmesg, i always boot into
    > >> laptop kernel, which supports 4gbmem, but still it is not recgonising
    > >> the 2gig RAM

    > > I'd check in the bios setup, to see what the memory settings are there,
    > > partitularly related to possible shadowing of rom, that doesn't exist.

    > > In my desktop, also with 2GB of ram, I currently get ...
    > > # free
    > > * * * * * * *total * * * used * * * free * * shared * *buffers * * cached
    > >Mem: * * * 2075864 * * 792620 * *1283244 * * * * *0 * * * 4036 * * 419760
    > > -/+ buffers/cache: * * 368824 * *1707040
    > > Swap: * * *3140668 * * * * *0 * *3140668

    > > And in /var/log/dmesg, ...
    > > BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
    > > *BIOS-e820: 0000000000000000 - 000000000009f800 (usable)
    > > *BIOS-e820: 000000000009f800 - 00000000000a0000 (reserved)
    > > *BIOS-e820: 00000000000f0000 - 0000000000100000 (reserved)
    > > *BIOS-e820: 0000000000100000 - 000000007fff0000 (usable)
    > > *BIOS-e820: 000000007fff0000 - 000000007fff3000 (ACPI NVS)
    > > *BIOS-e820: 000000007fff3000 - 0000000080000000 (ACPI data)
    > > *BIOS-e820: 00000000fec00000 - 0000000100000000 (reserved)
    > > 1151MB HIGHMEM available.
    > > 896MB LOWMEM available

    > > Some motherboards require the cmos to be cleared, when changes are madeto
    > > the amount, or type of ram installed.

    > > What is the make and model of the laptop?

    > > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    > If the BIOS settings are not the problem, the next question is
    > whether the RAM is properly seated in the sockets, and whether the
    > RAM is in fact good.
    >
    > Have you tried running memtest for a few hours?
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.
    >
    > --
    > UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    > * * * expects users to be computer-friendly.

    how do i check whether the "ram is good"? and how to run a mem test?

  19. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    On Aug 23, 11:07*pm, "David W. Hodgins"
    wrote:

    > >http://pastebin.ca/1182544> this is my dmesg, i always boot into
    > > laptop kernel, which supports 4gbmem, but still it is not recgonising
    > > the 2gig RAM

    > I'd check in the bios setup, to see what the memory settings are there,
    > partitularly related to possible shadowing of rom, that doesn't exist.
    >
    > In my desktop, also with 2GB of ram, I currently get ...
    > # free
    > * * * * * * *total * * * used * * * free * * shared * *buffers * * cachedMem: * * * 2075864 * * 792620 * *1283244 * * * * *0 * * * 4036 * * 419760
    > -/+ buffers/cache: * * 368824 * *1707040
    > Swap: * * *3140668 * * * * *0 * *3140668
    >
    > And in /var/log/dmesg, ...
    > BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
    > *BIOS-e820: 0000000000000000 - 000000000009f800 (usable)
    > *BIOS-e820: 000000000009f800 - 00000000000a0000 (reserved)
    > *BIOS-e820: 00000000000f0000 - 0000000000100000 (reserved)
    > *BIOS-e820: 0000000000100000 - 000000007fff0000 (usable)
    > *BIOS-e820: 000000007fff0000 - 000000007fff3000 (ACPI NVS)
    > *BIOS-e820: 000000007fff3000 - 0000000080000000 (ACPI data)
    > *BIOS-e820: 00000000fec00000 - 0000000100000000 (reserved)
    > 1151MB HIGHMEM available.
    > 896MB LOWMEM available
    >
    > Some motherboards require the cmos to be cleared, when changes are made to
    > the amount, or type of ram installed.
    >
    > What is the make and model of the laptop?
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    > --
    > Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    > (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    > use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

    the laptop is compaq f700. here are specs:

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/in/en...8-3548233.html

  20. Re: HIGH mem on laptop kernel

    On Sep 16, 8:25*am, Sindhu wrote:
    > On Aug 24, 5:11*am, Jim Beard wrote:
    >

    > > David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > > > I'd check in the bios setup, to see what the memory settings are there,
    > > > partitularly related to possible shadowing of rom, that doesn't exist..

    > > > In my desktop, also with 2GB of ram, I currently get ...
    > > > # free
    > > > * * * * * * *total * * * used * * * free * * shared * *buffers * * cached
    > > >Mem: * * * 2075864 * * 792620 * *1283244 * * * **0 * * * 4036 * * 419760
    > > > -/+ buffers/cache: * * 368824 * *1707040
    > > > Swap: * * *3140668 * * * * *0 * *3140668

    > > > And in /var/log/dmesg, ...
    > > > BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
    > > > *BIOS-e820: 0000000000000000 - 000000000009f800 (usable)
    > > > *BIOS-e820: 000000000009f800 - 00000000000a0000 (reserved)
    > > > *BIOS-e820: 00000000000f0000 - 0000000000100000 (reserved)
    > > > *BIOS-e820: 0000000000100000 - 000000007fff0000 (usable)
    > > > *BIOS-e820: 000000007fff0000 - 000000007fff3000 (ACPI NVS)
    > > > *BIOS-e820: 000000007fff3000 - 0000000080000000 (ACPI data)
    > > > *BIOS-e820: 00000000fec00000 - 0000000100000000 (reserved)
    > > > 1151MB HIGHMEM available.
    > > > 896MB LOWMEM available

    > > > Some motherboards require the cmos to be cleared, when changes are made to
    > > > the amount, or type of ram installed.

    > > > What is the make and model of the laptop?

    > > > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    > > If the BIOS settings are not the problem, the next question is
    > > whether the RAM is properly seated in the sockets, and whether the
    > > RAM is in fact good.

    > > Have you tried running memtest for a few hours?

    > > Cheers!

    > > jim b.

    > > --
    > > UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    > > * * * expects users to be computer-friendly.

    > how do i check whether the "ram is good"? and how to run amemtest?

    i checked in the bios, there too it says 1024mb ram... and i read that
    by default a laptop kernel should be able to detect upto 4gigs of ram
    automatically. i wonder mine does not, am startiing to have doubts if
    i really have 2gigs of ram, how do i check for sure? should i call in
    some hardware guy? in the quotation price for laptop (when i bought it
    from the retailer) he told me clearly that the laptop came with 1gig
    ram and that he will upgrade it to 2gig , he even mentioned it in the
    bill and i was charged for it.

    what do i do?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast