Latest kernel update killed nvidia 3d driver - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Latest kernel update killed nvidia 3d driver - Mandriva ; After installing the latest kernel update a few days ago the nvidia 3d driver fails to start and I end up at the commandline. I am able to still run the previous kernel. The new version of the kernel is ...

  1. Latest kernel update killed nvidia 3d driver

    After installing the latest kernel update a few days ago the nvidia 3d
    driver fails to start and I end up at the commandline. I am able to
    still run the previous kernel. The new version of the kernel is
    2.6.24.7-desktop-1mnb.

    I have tried replacing "nvidia" with "nv" but this didn't work either.

    Typing startx yields the following screen output:

    xauth: creating new authority file /home/lionel/.serverauth.5738

    X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90
    Release Date: 5 September 2007
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    Build Operating System: Linux_2.6.22.12-server-1mdv Mandriva
    Current Operating System: Linux localhost 2.6.24.7-desktop-1mnb #1 SMP
    Mon Jul 28 15:12:10 EDT 2008 i686
    Build Date: 03 July 2008 03:58:04PM

    Before reporting problems, check http://qa.mandriva.com
    Module Loader present
    (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Aug 17 13:39:22 2008
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    (II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
    Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 169.12,
    but this NVIDIA driver component has version 173.14.09. Please make
    sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components
    have the same version.
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system, and
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): that the NVIDIA device files have been created
    properly.
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

    Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    giving up.
    xinit: Connection reset by peer (errno 104): unable to connect to X server
    xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

    The relevant contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.conf:

    (II) "extmod" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and also
    specified in the config file.
    (II) "dbe" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and also
    specified in the config file.
    (II) "glx" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and also
    specified in the config file.
    (II) "freetype" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and also
    specified in the config file.
    (II) "type1" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and also
    specified in the config file.
    (II) "record" will be loaded by default.
    (II) "dri" will be loaded by default.
    (II) LoadModule: "dbe"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdbe.so
    (II) Module dbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    compiled for 1.4.0.90, module version = 1.0.0
    Module class: X.Org Server Extension
    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
    (II) Loading extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
    (II) LoadModule: "v4l"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//v4l_drv.so
    (II) Module v4l: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    compiled for 1.4.0.90, module version = 0.1.1
    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 2.0
    (II) LoadModule: "extmod"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libextmod.so
    (II) Module extmod: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    compiled for 1.4.0.90, module version = 1.0.0
    Module class: X.Org Server Extension
    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
    (II) Loading extension SHAPE
    (II) Loading extension Multi-Buffering
    (II) Loading extension MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    (II) Loading extension BIG-REQUESTS
    (II) Loading extension SYNC
    (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    (II) Loading extension XC-MISC
    (II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
    (II) Loading extension XFree86-Misc
    (II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
    (II) Loading extension DPMS
    (II) Loading extension TOG-CUP
    (II) Loading extension Extended-Visual-Information
    (II) Loading extension XVideo
    (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
    (II) Loading extension X-Resource
    (II) LoadModule: "type1"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/fonts//libtype1.so
    (II) Module type1: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    compiled for 1.4.0.90, module version = 1.0.2
    Module class: X.Org Font Renderer
    ABI class: X.Org Font Renderer, version 0.5
    (II) Loading font Type1
    (II) LoadModule: "freetype"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/fonts//libfreetype.so
    (II) Module freetype: vendor="X.Org Foundation & the After X-TT Project"
    compiled for 1.4.0.90, module version = 2.1.0
    Module class: X.Org Font Renderer
    ABI class: X.Org Font Renderer, version 0.5
    (II) Loading font FreeType
    (II) LoadModule: "glx"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
    (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
    Module class: X.Org Server Extension
    (II) NVIDIA GLX Module 173.14.09 Thu Jun 5 00:07:40 PDT 2008
    (II) Loading extension GLX
    (II) LoadModule: "record"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//librecord.so
    (II) Module record: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    compiled for 1.4.0.90, module version = 1.13.0
    Module class: X.Org Server Extension
    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
    (II) Loading extension RECORD
    (II) LoadModule: "dri"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
    (II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    compiled for 1.4.0.90, module version = 1.0.0
    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
    (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
    (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
    (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    (II) LoadModule: "kbd"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//kbd_drv.so
    (II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    compiled for 1.4.0.90, module version = 1.2.2
    Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
    ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 2.0
    (II) LoadModule: "mouse"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so
    (II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    compiled for 1.4.0.90, module version = 1.2.3
    Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
    ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 2.0
    (II) v4l driver for Video4Linux
    (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver 173.14.09 Wed Jun 4 23:47:25 PDT 2008
    (II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
    (II) Primary Device is: PCI 00:12:0
    (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
    (--) Chipset NVIDIA GPU found
    (II) Loading sub module "fb"
    (II) LoadModule: "fb"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libfb.so
    (II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    compiled for 1.4.0.90, module version = 1.0.0
    ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.3
    (II) Loading sub module "wfb"
    (II) LoadModule: "wfb"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libwfb.so
    (II) Module wfb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    compiled for 1.4.0.90, module version = 1.0.0
    ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.3
    (II) Loading sub module "ramdac"
    (II) LoadModule: "ramdac"(II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
    (II) Setting vga for screen 0.
    (**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
    (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
    (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
    (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
    (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals"
    (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
    (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
    (II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X
    extensions is
    (II) NVIDIA(0): enabled.
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system, and
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): that the NVIDIA device files have been created
    properly.
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
    (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
    (II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
    (II) UnloadModule: "fb"
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

    Fatal server error:
    no screens found

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Lionel.

  2. Re: Latest kernel update killed nvidia 3d driver

    On Sunday 17 August 2008 05:51, someone identifying as *none* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > After installing the latest kernel update a few days ago the nvidia 3d
    > driver fails to start and I end up at the commandline. I am able to
    > still run the previous kernel. The new version of the kernel is
    > 2.6.24.7-desktop-1mnb.

    Yep, that was to be expected. You've updated the kernel without updating
    the driver. ;-) A driver module also runs in kernelspace and thus needs to
    be fully compatible with the kernel in which it runs.

    > [...]
    > Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 169.12,
    > but this NVIDIA driver component has version 173.14.09. Please make
    > sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components
    > have the same version.

    There you have it. :-)

    So what you should do is either (1) download the latest nVidia driver from
    their own website and build it against your new kernel, (2) check in the
    Mandriva updates for a newer nVidia driver package and install that, or (3)
    run the /dkms/ script automatically at boot.

    /dkms/ is the dynamic kernel module system, designed specifically for this
    kind of situations. It checks any proprietary kernel drivers such as the
    ones from nVidia - at least, that's how it's configured in Mandriva -
    against your running kernel at boot time, and if necessary, it will
    automatically rebuild the driver and load it. It'll slow down the boot
    process somewhat if it has to rebuild the driver, though. :-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: Latest kernel update killed nvidia 3d driver

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Sunday 17 August 2008 05:51, someone identifying as *none* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> After installing the latest kernel update a few days ago the nvidia 3d
    >> driver fails to start and I end up at the commandline. I am able to
    >> still run the previous kernel. The new version of the kernel is
    >> 2.6.24.7-desktop-1mnb.

    > Yep, that was to be expected. You've updated the kernel without updating
    > the driver. ;-) A driver module also runs in kernelspace and thus needs to
    > be fully compatible with the kernel in which it runs.

    I've applied updates using Mandriva's update system which is the one at
    blame, I applied all updates and it has apparently left me with a broken
    system.

    I'm just pointing out that this is not a user-error, it's a design error.

    >> [...]
    >> Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 169.12,
    >> but this NVIDIA driver component has version 173.14.09. Please make
    >> sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components
    >> have the same version.

    > There you have it. :-)

    That's obvious. I was searching for [EE] to find the errors . . . oops.

    > So what you should do is either (1) download the latest nVidia driver from
    > their own website and build it against your new kernel,

    Argh, those days are supposed to be over.

    > (2) check in the
    > Mandriva updates for a newer nVidia driver package and install that, or

    I've applied all updates - hmmm, using the update tool and MCC but now I
    have headed to command line to prove it to you and run:

    urpmi --auto-update

    And what do you know, a bunch of updates, including:

    (medium "Non-free Backports (Official2008.1-12)")
    dkms-nvidia-current 173.14.12 2mdv2008.1 i586
    nvidia-current-doc-html 173.14.12 2mdv2008.1 i586
    x11-driver-video-nvidia-curre> 173.14.12 2mdv2008.1 i586

    So once it had completed the update the boot was all happy again.

    > (3)
    > run the /dkms/ script automatically at boot.

    This is the default and is what I expected, it is unfortunately not what
    happened but it doesn't matter now as 2) solved the problem.

    thanks

    Lionel

  4. Re: Latest kernel update killed nvidia 3d driver

    none <""lionel\"@(none)"> wrote:

    >urpmi --auto-update
    >
    >And what do you know, a bunch of updates, including:
    >
    >(medium "Non-free Backports (Official2008.1-12)")
    > dkms-nvidia-current 173.14.12 2mdv2008.1 i586
    > nvidia-current-doc-html 173.14.12 2mdv2008.1 i586
    > x11-driver-video-nvidia-curre> 173.14.12 2mdv2008.1 i586

    You shouldn't have any of the backports enabled for auto update. They are
    not enabled by default. Backports are packages intended for the next
    version of the distribution that have been "backported", i.e. compiled
    against libraries that are available in a previous system. They are
    there so that you can install a very recent version of a selected package
    if you have a particular reason for doing so, without waiting for the
    next distribution, if you are prepared to accept the extra risk of an
    incompatibility.

    This isn't explained anywhere and it should be.

    --
    Dave Farrance

  5. Re: Latest kernel update killed nvidia 3d driver

    Dave Farrance wrote:

    > none <""lionel\"@(none)"> wrote:
    >
    >>urpmi --auto-update
    >>
    >>And what do you know, a bunch of updates, including:
    >>
    >>(medium "Non-free Backports (Official2008.1-12)")
    >> dkms-nvidia-current 173.14.12 2mdv2008.1
    >> i586
    >> nvidia-current-doc-html 173.14.12 2mdv2008.1
    >> i586
    >> x11-driver-video-nvidia-curre> 173.14.12 2mdv2008.1
    >> i586

    > You shouldn't have any of the backports enabled for auto
    > update. They are
    > not enabled by default. Backports are packages intended for
    > the next version of the distribution that have been
    > "backported", i.e. compiled
    > against libraries that are available in a previous system.
    > They are there so that you can install a very recent version of
    > a selected package if you have a particular reason for doing
    > so, without waiting for the next distribution, if you are
    > prepared to accept the extra risk of an incompatibility.
    >
    > This isn't explained anywhere and it should be.

    It is. It's in the official mandriva wiki. It is easily found by
    following obvious links in logical order:

    http://wiki.mandriva.com -> Updating and installing software ->
    Advanced use: Backports and candidate updates

    HTH
    Syd

  6. Re: Latest kernel update killed nvidia 3d driver

    Dave Farrance wrote:
    > none <""lionel\"@(none)"> wrote:
    >
    >> urpmi --auto-update
    >>
    >> And what do you know, a bunch of updates, including:
    >>
    >> (medium "Non-free Backports (Official2008.1-12)")
    >> dkms-nvidia-current 173.14.12 2mdv2008.1 i586
    >> nvidia-current-doc-html 173.14.12 2mdv2008.1 i586
    >> x11-driver-video-nvidia-curre> 173.14.12 2mdv2008.1 i586

    > You shouldn't have any of the backports enabled for auto update. They are
    > not enabled by default.

    Thanks for the info. I just added whatever urpmi.zarb.org offered.
    Either way, something in that update fixed my system.

    Cheers

    Lionel

+ Reply to Thread