How to start a wlan interface from command line ? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on How to start a wlan interface from command line ? - Mandriva ; I'm using Mandriva 2008 on a laptop (Eee PC) and I'm having problem with the wire-less interface after a suspend to RAM. How can I find out what scripts or commands need to be run to bring up a wireless ...

  1. How to start a wlan interface from command line ?

    I'm using Mandriva 2008 on a laptop (Eee PC) and I'm having
    problem with the wire-less interface after a suspend to RAM.

    How can I find out what scripts or commands need to be
    run to bring up a wireless interface ?
    Given that the driver kernel modules are loaded can I simply run:
    /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.action ath1 up/down
    or is some other script needed ?
    I have never used wire-less interfaces before.

    I should mention that everything works fine after a reboot till
    the first time I do a resume after suspend to RAM. When the
    network is up I have:
    % iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.
    wifi0 no wireless extensions.
    ath1 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"tetra1" Nickname:"localhost"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.417 GHz Access Point:
    00:18:390:33E
    Bit Rate:6 Mb/s Tx-Power:17 dBm Sensitivity=1/1
    Retryff RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality=65/70 Signal level=-30 dBm Noise level=-95
    dBm
    eth1 no wireless extensions.

    and
    % lsmod | grep ath
    ath_rate_sample 12736 1
    ath_pci 139440 0
    wlan 211088 5
    wlan_wep,wlan_scan_sta,ath_rate_sample,ath_pci
    ath_hal 278048 3 ath_rate_sample,ath_pci

    Any suggestions would be appreciated,

    /KarlD

  2. Re: How to start a wlan interface from command line ?

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 23:02:02 -0400, KarlD wrote:

    > I'm using Mandriva 2008 on a laptop (Eee PC) and I'm having
    > problem with the wire-less interface after a suspend to RAM.
    > How can I find out what scripts or commands need to be
    > run to bring up a wireless interface ?
    > ath1 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"tetra1" Nickname:"localhost"

    I would expect that "/sbin/ifup ath1" would do it. May require a
    "service network restart" first.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: How to start a wlan interface from command line ?

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 21:18:58 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > I would expect that "/sbin/ifup ath1" would do it. May require a
    > "service network restart" first.

    In that case, I would assume service network restart would bring it up
    anyway.

    I know the first time I had set On boot NO for a nic, the first
    service network restart/stop/start brought up the interface up anyway.

  4. Re: How to start a wlan interface from command line ?

    On Aug 17, 6:18 pm, "David W. Hodgins"
    wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 23:02:02 -0400, KarlD wrote:
    > > I'm using Mandriva 2008 on a laptop (Eee PC) and I'm having
    > > problem with the wire-less interface after a suspend to RAM.
    > > How can I find out what scripts or commands need to be
    > > run to bring up a wireless interface ?
    > > ath1 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"tetra1" Nickname:"localhost"

    > I would expect that "/sbin/ifup ath1" would do it. May require a
    > "service network restart" first.

    Thanks for your information.

    /sbin/ifup ath1 gives

    "ath_pci device ath1 does not seem to be present, delaying
    initialization"

    so I suppose there are wlan kernel modules that have been unloaded
    and are not properly reloaded for the interface to bind.

    This happens when I use smart keys to switch off wlan followed by
    suspend/resume and switch on wlan.
    On the other hand, going to suspend while the wlan is ON causes
    the interface to be properly brought up after resume.

    /KarlD

  5. Re: How to start a wlan interface from command line ?

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 03:20:18 -0400, KarlD wrote:

    > This happens when I use smart keys to switch off wlan followed by
    > suspend/resume and switch on wlan.
    > On the other hand, going to suspend while the wlan is ON causes
    > the interface to be properly brought up after resume.

    It may work if you figure out which modules are being loaded for the wlan,
    and add them to /etc/modprobe.preload. I say may, because loading the modules
    at boot time, may fail, if the wlan is not on.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins