Webcams - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Webcams - Mandriva ; Is where a webcam that worked right out of the box with mandriva free i586 2008.1 ? In the past, I used gspca with matching kernel #s. But lately I can't find the proper gspca module for my current kernel....

  1. Webcams

    Is where a webcam that worked right out of the box with mandriva free
    i586 2008.1 ?

    In the past, I used gspca with matching kernel #s. But lately I can't
    find the proper gspca module for my current kernel.

  2. Re: Webcams

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:44:30 -0400, carl wagner wrote:

    > Is where a webcam that worked right out of the box with mandriva free
    > i586 2008.1 ?

    I'm using a Logitech Quickcam messenger, with the quickcam_messenger kernel
    module included with the Mandriva supplied kernels.

    > In the past, I used gspca with matching kernel #s. But lately I can't
    > find the proper gspca module for my current kernel.

    You may need to compile the module yourself. The following will get the
    source ...

    hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
    cd v4l-dvb
    hg pull -u http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
    hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/dvb-apps

    Run "make all" and "sudo make install", use modprobe to load the correct
    module, and add it to /etc/modprobe.preload.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Webcams

    Am Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:44:30 +0000 schrieb carl wagner:

    > Is where a webcam that worked right out of the box with mandriva free
    > i586 2008.1 ?
    >
    > In the past, I used gspca with matching kernel #s. But lately I can't
    > find the proper gspca module for my current kernel.

    Hi,

    im using a Phillips SPC900NC, just need to plug it in and it works with
    Ekiga, Kstars (im using that Cam to make Videos of Moon and Planets) and
    lots of other Apps (using v4l).

    Also take a look at http://hardware4linux.info/module/Philips_webcam/ for
    Webcams that should work out-of-the-Box with Mandriva / Linux in general.

    Regards
    Jens

  4. Re: Webcams

    carl wagner wrote:
    > Is where a webcam that worked right out of the box with mandriva free
    > i586 2008.1 ?
    >
    > In the past, I used gspca with matching kernel #s. But lately I can't
    > find the proper gspca module for my current kernel.

    Work, in that mplayer can read it, or work in that I can skype with it?

    I got a USB webcam in Lidl. Don't know if it has a name. There is some
    writing on the back of it, but it's too small for me to read. In dmesg,
    it looks like this:
    usb 2-2: SN9C120 PC Camera Controller detected (vidid 0x0C45:0x613B)
    usb 2-2: OV7660 image sensor detected
    But, there was also a dmesg line saying
    usb 2-2: Optional device control through 'sysfs' interface disabled

    While Mandriva loaded the necessary drivers without me having to do
    anything other than plug it in and power up the PC, so that I could look
    up my own nose with
    mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video1
    it wouldn't work with Skype at all. Just got a green screen with some
    scrambled dots at the top. I guess skype may have been trying to change
    the picture resolution using that disabled "Optional device control"
    interface. Or something like that.

    Got a Logitech Fusion webcam off ebay. Again, Mandriva installed the
    necessary drivers automagically. That seems to work much better, but
    after a few seconds, the video image gets split horizontally. From the
    top down to my neck, it still works. From my neck down, the image is in
    a loop, repeating every few seconds. Weird to look at, but not a problem
    as long as I don't move much from side to side and lose my head altogether.

    If I show any video in mplayer, skype won't show any video afterwards
    until I restart X. Someone (here, I think) said to look at xorg.conf,
    but I didn't get to spend much time on that. Skype (v2.0.0.72) seems to
    be the only thing having a problem. 2.0.0.72 seems to be the latest
    version available from www.skype.com at the moment for Linux, although
    it's up to 3.8 for Windows. If it gets to being worth spending time on,
    maybe I should try Wine.

    Frank

  5. Re: Webcams

    carl wagner wrote:

    > Is where a webcam that worked right out of the box with mandriva free
    > i586 2008.1 ?
    >
    > In the past, I used gspca with matching kernel #s. But lately I can't
    > find the proper gspca module for my current kernel.

    dkms-gspcav1 in 2008.1.

    This module is not in the kernel out of the box. You need to install
    dkms-gspcav1.

    # urpmi dkms-gspcav1

+ Reply to Thread