New laptop kernel - Mandriva

This is a discussion on New laptop kernel - Mandriva ; Hi all, The new laptop kernel 2.6.24.7-laptop-1mnb appears not to have rt73 wifi support. Going back to 2.6.24.5-laptop-2mnb for now. Any idea why this would have been removed?...

  1. New laptop kernel

    Hi all,

    The new laptop kernel 2.6.24.7-laptop-1mnb appears not to have rt73 wifi
    support. Going back to 2.6.24.5-laptop-2mnb for now. Any idea why this
    would have been removed?

  2. Re: New laptop kernel

    On Saturday 16 August 2008 16:40, someone identifying as *Keith* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > The new laptop kernel 2.6.24.7-laptop-1mnb appears not to have rt73 wifi
    > support. Going back to 2.6.24.5-laptop-2mnb for now. Any idea why this
    > would have been removed?

    Just an educated guess...: Mandriva applies patches to the kernel for
    increased functionality. Presumably it's not a matter of "removing" a
    specific driver from the kernel, but of simply having forgotten to apply
    its patch to the 2.6.24.7 tree.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: New laptop kernel

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Saturday 16 August 2008 16:40, someone identifying as *Keith* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> The new laptop kernel 2.6.24.7-laptop-1mnb appears not to have rt73 wifi
    >> support. Going back to 2.6.24.5-laptop-2mnb for now. Any idea why this
    >> would have been removed?

    > Just an educated guess...: Mandriva applies patches to the kernel for
    > increased functionality. Presumably it's not a matter of "removing" a
    > specific driver from the kernel, but of simply having forgotten to apply
    > its patch to the 2.6.24.7 tree.

    I've raised a bug (42889). Let me know if I should add any further
    information to that report.

    Thx.

  4. Re: New laptop kernel

    On Sunday 17 August 2008 11:44, someone identifying as *Keith* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Saturday 16 August 2008 16:40, someone identifying as *Keith* wrote
    >> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >>
    >>> The new laptop kernel 2.6.24.7-laptop-1mnb appears not to have rt73 wifi
    >>> support. Going back to 2.6.24.5-laptop-2mnb for now. Any idea why this
    >>> would have been removed?

    >> Just an educated guess...: Mandriva applies patches to the kernel for
    >> increased functionality. Presumably it's not a matter of "removing" a
    >> specific driver from the kernel, but of simply having forgotten to apply
    >> its patch to the 2.6.24.7 tree.

    > I've raised a bug (42889). Let me know if I should add any further
    > information to that report.

    Well, thinking more about it, there could also be another reason as to why
    that particular driver was omitted, for instance if it proved to render the
    kernel unstable.

    Either way, if you're certain that the module does not exist on your system
    and the device in question does not require a proprietary driver module
    from the vendor, then filing a bug report was indeed the correct thing to
    do, and then they'll look into it... I hope... ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

+ Reply to Thread