Update error - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Update error - Mandriva ; Hi all, Recently (I think, starting a couple of days ago) when I boot up, the update applet runs, tells me that there are updates to be installed, and then when I tell it to go ahead it fails, saying ...

  1. Update error

    Hi all,

    Recently (I think, starting a couple of days ago) when I boot up, the
    update applet runs, tells me that there are updates to be installed, and
    then when I tell it to go ahead it fails, saying that the database is
    already locked. Below is the relevant section of /var/log/syslog. It
    would seem that the error near the top is the culprit, but is there a
    workaround, and why is it happening?

    Aug 16 09:58:38 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: Computing new updates...
    Aug 16 09:58:38 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: Connecting to ...
    Aug 16 09:58:40 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: running: urpmi.update arguments>
    Aug 16 10:08:40 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: ERROR: killing runaway
    process (process=urpmi.update, pid=5459, args=--update, error=ALARM at
    /usr/lib/libDrakX/run_program.pm line 81. )
    Aug 16 10:08:40 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: updating inactive backport
    media Main Backports, Contrib Backports, Non-free Backports, PLF Free
    backports, PLF Non-free backports
    Aug 16 10:08:40 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: running: urpmi.update Main
    Backports
    Aug 16 10:08:40 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: running: urpmi.update Contrib
    Backports
    Aug 16 10:08:41 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: running: urpmi.update
    Non-free Backports
    Aug 16 10:08:40 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: running: urpmi.update Main
    Backports
    Aug 16 10:08:40 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: running: urpmi.update Contrib
    Backports
    Aug 16 10:08:41 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: running: urpmi.update
    Non-free Backports
    Aug 16 10:08:42 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: running: urpmi.update PLF
    Free backports
    Aug 16 10:08:42 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: running: urpmi.update PLF
    Non-free backports
    Aug 16 10:08:54 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: Checking... Updates are available
    Aug 16 10:09:04 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: Launching MandrivaUpdate
    Aug 16 10:09:04 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: running: MandrivaUpdate
    --no-media-update --no-confirmation
    Aug 16 10:09:11 localhost MandrivaUpdate[6222]: ### Program is starting ###
    Aug 16 10:09:15 localhost MandrivaUpdate[6222]: opening the RPM database
    Aug 16 10:09:16 localhost MandrivaUpdate[6222]: opening the RPM database
    Aug 16 10:09:32 localhost MandrivaUpdate[6222]: ### Program is exiting ###
    Aug 16 10:09:32 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: Computing new updates...
    Aug 16 10:09:32 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: Connecting to ...
    Aug 16 10:09:33 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: urpmi database locked,
    skipping updating urpmi database

  2. Re: Update error

    Keith wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Recently (I think, starting a couple of days ago) when I boot up, the
    > update applet runs, tells me that there are updates to be installed, and
    > then when I tell it to go ahead it fails, saying that the database is
    > already locked. Below is the relevant section of /var/log/syslog. It
    > would seem that the error near the top is the culprit, but is there a
    > workaround, and why is it happening?

    When database is locked I do the following :

    [root@localhost frank]# rm -f "/var/lib/urpmi/.LOCK"
    [root@localhost frank]# rm -f "/var/lib/urpmi/.RPMLOCK"

    After that updates get installed .

    Frank

  3. Re: Update error

    Highland Ham wrote:
    > Keith wrote:
    >>
    >> Recently (I think, starting a couple of days ago) when I boot up, the
    >> update applet runs, tells me that there are updates to be installed,
    >> and then when I tell it to go ahead it fails, saying that the database
    >> is already locked. Below is the relevant section of /var/log/syslog.
    >> It would seem that the error near the top is the culprit, but is there
    >> a workaround, and why is it happening?

    > ================================================== ==
    > When database is locked I do the following :
    >
    > [root@localhost frank]# rm -f "/var/lib/urpmi/.LOCK"
    > [root@localhost frank]# rm -f "/var/lib/urpmi/.RPMLOCK"

    Good workaround - thanks. Does anyone have any idea why this is
    happening in the first place?

  4. Re: Update error

    Keith wrote:

    > Highland Ham wrote:
    >> Keith wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Recently (I think, starting a couple of days ago) when I boot up, the
    >>> update applet runs, tells me that there are updates to be installed,
    >>> and then when I tell it to go ahead it fails, saying that the database
    >>> is already locked. Below is the relevant section of /var/log/syslog.
    >>> It would seem that the error near the top is the culprit, but is there
    >>> a workaround, and why is it happening?

    >> ================================================== ==
    >> When database is locked I do the following :
    >>
    >> [root@localhost frank]# rm -f "/var/lib/urpmi/.LOCK"
    >> [root@localhost frank]# rm -f "/var/lib/urpmi/.RPMLOCK"

    > Good workaround - thanks. Does anyone have any idea why this is
    > happening in the first place?

    I have the same problem, i remove the locks and it works but within a day i
    have the same problem again

  5. Re: Update error

    Keith wrote:

    >Highland Ham wrote:
    >> Keith wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Recently (I think, starting a couple of days ago) when I boot up, the
    >>> update applet runs, tells me that there are updates to be installed,
    >>> and then when I tell it to go ahead it fails, saying that the database
    >>> is already locked. ...

    >> When database is locked I do the following :
    >>
    >> [root@localhost frank]# rm -f "/var/lib/urpmi/.LOCK"
    >> [root@localhost frank]# rm -f "/var/lib/urpmi/.RPMLOCK"

    >Good workaround - thanks. Does anyone have any idea why this is
    >happening in the first place?

    My suspicion is that update sometimes tries to run on logout. I think
    that this hangs the logout for about 20 seconds, then the logout process
    forcibly terminates the update leaving the lock files in place.

    --
    Dave Farrance

  6. Re: Update error

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 06:20:02 -0400, Keith wrote:

    > Recently (I think, starting a couple of days ago) when I boot up, the
    > update applet runs, tells me that there are updates to be installed, and
    > then when I tell it to go ahead it fails, saying that the database is
    > already locked. Below is the relevant section of /var/log/syslog. It
    > would seem that the error near the top is the culprit, but is there a
    > workaround, and why is it happening?
    > Aug 16 09:58:40 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: running: urpmi.update > arguments>
    > Aug 16 10:08:40 localhost mdkapplet[4923]: ERROR: killing runaway
    > process (process=urpmi.update, pid=5459, args=--update, error=ALARM at
    > /usr/lib/libDrakX/run_program.pm line 81. )

    You could try editing the above file to increase the timeout. I have disabled
    mdkapplet (right click on the icon, to disable/stop it), and only run the
    check for updates, when I want to, using the command line with
    urpmi --auto-update --keep --resume

    If you later decide you want mdkapplet back, edit ~/.MdkOnline/mdkonline, and
    change the AUTOSTART=FALSE to TRUE, or run "mdkapplet -f".

    Regards, Dave Hodgins