text-to-speech mandriva 2008 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on text-to-speech mandriva 2008 - Mandriva ; I want to know if there is a software that would speak text on any application, webpage, pdf , documents etc for me? in particular i need a text-to-speech program? is this possible? which voice would be its default?...

  1. text-to-speech mandriva 2008

    I want to know if there is a software that would speak text on any
    application, webpage, pdf , documents etc for me?

    in particular i need a text-to-speech program? is this possible? which
    voice would be its default?

  2. Re: text-to-speech mandriva 2008

    Sindhu wrote:

    >I want to know if there is a software that would speak text on any
    >application, webpage, pdf , documents etc for me?
    >
    >in particular i need a text-to-speech program? is this possible? which
    >voice would be its default?

    Try festival.

    There's various ways to script festival like these three examples:

    echo "Festival reading text from standard in" | festival --tts

    echo "Festival reading text from file" >$TMP/fest1.tmp
    festival --tts $TMP/fest1.tmp

    festival << endf
    (SayText "This is an example of festival's command mode")
    (quit)
    endf

    But you might find issues related to 2008.1's sound system problems.
    ( See 2008.1 errata: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1_Errata )

    This is a fix I've found on the web that gets it working for me:

    Put the following two lines into the file ~/.festivalrc

    (Parameter.set 'Audio_Command "aplay -q -c 1 -t raw -f s16 -r $SR $FILE")
    (Parameter.set 'Audio_Method 'Audio_Command)

    --
    Dave Farrance

  3. Re: text-to-speech mandriva 2008

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 04:12:05 -0400, Sindhu wrote:

    > in particular i need a text-to-speech program? is this possible? which
    > voice would be its default?

    I have festival and kttsmgr installed, so I can copy text to the clipboard,
    and then play it. The default talker is English (USA). I have the following
    packages installed ...

    festival-1.96-9mdv2008.1.i586.rpm
    festlex-CMU-1.4.3-4mdv2008.1.noarch.rpm
    festlex-POSLEX-1.4.3-4mdv2008.1.noarch.rpm
    festvox-kallpc-common-1.4.3-4mdv2008.1.noarch.rpm
    festvox-kallpc16k-1.4.3-4mdv2008.1.noarch.rpm
    festvox-kedlpc-common-1.4.3-4mdv2008.1.noarch.rpm
    festvox-kedlpc8k-1.4.3-4mdv2008.1.noarch.rpm
    gnome-speech-driver-festival-0.4.18-3mdv2008.1.i586.rpm
    kdeaccessibility-kttsd-3.5.9-1mdv2008.1.i586.rpm
    libkdeaccessibility1-kttsd-3.5.9-1mdv2008.1.i586.rpm

    and the following symlink setup to start kttsmgr ...
    ll ~/.kde/Autostart
    total 4
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 dave dave 16 2008-06-05 13:39 kttsmgr -> /usr/bin/kttsmgr*

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: text-to-speech mandriva 2008

    On Aug 16, 3:02*pm, Dave Farrance
    wrote:
    > Sindhu wrote:
    > >I want to know if there is a software that would speak text on any
    > >application, webpage, pdf , documents etc for me?

    > >in particular i need a text-to-speech program? is this possible? which
    > >voice would be its default?

    > Try festival.
    >
    > There's various ways to script festival like these three examples:
    >
    > echo "Festival reading text from standard in" | festival --tts
    >
    > echo "Festival reading text from file" >$TMP/fest1.tmp
    > festival --tts $TMP/fest1.tmp
    >
    > festival << endf
    > (SayText "This is an example of festival's command mode")
    > (quit)
    > endf
    >
    > But you might find issues related to 2008.1's sound system problems.
    > ( See 2008.1 errata:http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1_Errata)
    >
    > This is a fix I've found on the web that gets it working for me:
    >
    > Put the following two lines into the file *~/.festivalrc
    >
    > (Parameter.set 'Audio_Command "aplay -q -c 1 -t raw -f s16 -r $SR $FILE")
    > (Parameter.set 'Audio_Method 'Audio_Command)
    >
    > --
    > Dave Farrance

    thank you for the information but festival have a gui? i also have
    pulseaudio running , which means all my audio is routed through it,
    will this be a problem?

  5. Re: text-to-speech mandriva 2008

    wrote:
    > Sindhu wrote:
    > >I want to know if there is a software that would speak text on any
    > >application, webpage, pdf , documents etc for me?

    > >in particular i need a text-to-speech program? is this possible? which
    > >voice would be its default?

    > Try festival.
    >
    > There's various ways to script festival like these three examples:
    >
    > echo "Festival reading text from standard in" | festival --tts
    >
    > echo "Festival reading text from file" >$TMP/fest1.tmp
    > festival --tts $TMP/fest1.tmp
    >
    > festival << endf
    > (SayText "This is an example of festival's command mode")
    > (quit)
    > endf
    >
    > But you might find issues related to 2008.1's sound system problems.
    > ( See 2008.1 errata:http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1_Errata)
    >
    > This is a fix I've found on the web that gets it working for me:
    >
    > Put the following two lines into the file *~/.festivalrc
    >
    > (Parameter.set 'Audio_Command "aplay -q -c 1 -t raw -f s16 -r $SR $FILE")
    > (Parameter.set 'Audio_Method 'Audio_Command)
    >
    > --
    > Dave Farrance

    thank you for the information but festival have a gui? i also have
    pulseaudio running , which means all my audio is routed through it,
    will this be a problem?

  6. Re: text-to-speech mandriva 2008

    On Aug 17, 12:46*pm, Sindhu wrote:
    > On Aug 16, 3:02*pm, Dave Farrance
    >

    > wrote:
    > > Sindhu wrote:
    > > >I want to know if there is a software that would speak text on any
    > > >application, webpage, pdf , documents etc for me?

    > > >in particular i need a text-to-speech program? is this possible? which
    > > >voice would be its default?

    > > Tryfestival.

    > > There's various ways to scriptfestivallike these three examples:

    > > echo "Festivalreading text from standard in" |festival--tts

    > > echo "Festivalreading text from file" >$TMP/fest1.tmp
    > >festival--tts $TMP/fest1.tmp

    > >festival<< endf
    > > (SayText "This is an example offestival'scommand mode")
    > > (quit)
    > > endf

    > > But you might find issues related to 2008.1's sound system problems.
    > > ( See 2008.1 errata:http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1_Errata)

    > > This is a fix I've found on the web that gets it working for me:

    > > Put the following two lines into the file *~/.festivalrc

    > > (Parameter.set 'Audio_Command "aplay -q -c 1 -t raw -f s16 -r $SR $FILE")
    > > (Parameter.set 'Audio_Method 'Audio_Command)

    > > --
    > > Dave Farrance

    > thank you for the information butfestivalhave a gui? i also have
    > pulseaudio running , which means all my audio is routed through it,
    > will this be a problem?

    Ok i got kde text to speech daemon and a few voices from the rpmdrake
    drake, all's well now
    although i still have to get used to the command line, i think
    festival is great. thank you!

+ Reply to Thread