print dialog firefox3 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on print dialog firefox3 - Mandriva ; I installed firefox 3.0.1 via the rpm from rpmfind. firefox and the print dialog hangs when i hit ctrl + p for printing any webpages. the printer am trying to access is a networked printer that is on- line, printer ...

  1. print dialog firefox3

    I installed firefox 3.0.1 via the rpm from rpmfind.

    firefox and the print dialog hangs when i hit ctrl + p for printing
    any webpages.

    the printer am trying to access is a networked printer that is on-
    line, printer is networked over ath (wifi).

    is this a bug ? where should i file a report?

  2. Re: print dialog firefox3

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 07:08:37 -0700 (PDT), Sindhu wrote:
    > I installed firefox 3.0.1 via the rpm from rpmfind.

    Hmmm, click on firefox Help (Top right)
    click About Mozilla Firefox in the popup
    and verify you are running 3.0.1

    > firefox and the print dialog hangs when i hit ctrl + p for printing
    > any webpages.

    Just for fun, in the url box enter
    /home/synful/.bash_profile

    and see if it prints. If not, bring up knode and try printing
    /home/synful/.bash_profile

  3. Re: print dialog firefox3

    On Aug 15, 7:31*pm, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 07:08:37 -0700 (PDT), Sindhu wrote:
    > > I installed firefox 3.0.1 via the rpm from rpmfind.

    > Hmmm, click on firefox Help (Top right)
    > click About Mozilla Firefox in the popup
    > and verify you are running 3.0.1
    >
    > > firefox and the print dialog hangs when i hit ctrl + p for printing
    > > any webpages.

    > Just for fun, in the url box enter
    > /home/synful/.bash_profile
    >
    > and see if it prints. If not, bring up knode and try printing
    > /home/synful/.bash_profile

    I verified that I am indeed running 3.0.1

    and i cannot navigate to /home/synful/.bash_profile in firefox , it
    says page not found.

    also what has knode to do with printing? it is a newsreader.

  4. Re: print dialog firefox3

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:50:03 -0700 (PDT), Sindhu wrote:
    > On Aug 15, 7:31*pm, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    > and i cannot navigate to /home/synful/.bash_profile in firefox , it
    > says page not found.

    Hmm, I was trying to get you a plain text file that firefox
    can print. I assumed /home/synful was where you logged into
    and had assumed there was a .bash_profile residing there.

    > also what has knode to do with printing? it is a newsreader.

    Frap, my mistake, I meant konqueror not knode.

    Click up a terminal and try
    konqueror $HOME/.bash_profile

    If print works, then
    firefox $HOME/.bash_profile

    I just wanted to make sure printing a plain text file worked.

  5. Re: print dialog firefox3

    On Aug 16, 8:35*am, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:50:03 -0700 (PDT), Sindhu wrote:
    > > On Aug 15, 7:31*pm, Bit Twister wrote:

    > > and i cannot navigate to */home/synful/.bash_profile in firefox , it
    > > says page not found.

    > Hmm, I was trying to get you a plain text file that firefox
    > can print. I assumed /home/synful was where you logged into
    > and had assumed there was a .bash_profile residing there.
    >
    > > also what has knode to do with printing? it is a newsreader.

    > Frap, my mistake, I meant konqueror not knode. *
    >
    > Click up a terminal and try
    > konqueror $HOME/.bash_profile
    >
    > If print works, then
    > firefox $HOME/.bash_profile
    >
    > I just wanted to make sure printing a plain text file worked.

    Well if that's you were getting to do, you should have told me, I am
    well acquainted with linux basics.

    Okay I navigated to my .bash_profile file and i hit ctrl + p, the
    print dialog appeared without any problem, i also tried the ctrl + p
    on a webpage, now that the printer connected to the desktop (also
    running mandriva) is offline, the print dialog appears just fine,

    so what's taking the print dialog too long to recognise the network
    printer when its online?

  6. Re: print dialog firefox3

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:50:03 -0700 (PDT), Sindhu wrote:
    >> On Aug 15, 7:31*pm, Bit Twister
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> and i cannot navigate to /home/synful/.bash_profile in firefox ,
    >> it says page not found.

    > Hmm, I was trying to get you a plain text file that firefox
    > can print. I assumed /home/synful was where you logged into
    > and had assumed there was a .bash_profile residing there.

    The OP's name is "syndhu" not "synful".

    >> also what has knode to do with printing? it is a newsreader.

    > Frap, my mistake, I meant konqueror not knode.
    >
    > Click up a terminal and try
    > konqueror $HOME/.bash_profile

    Where "$HOME" is *probably* "/home/syndhu", but might not be. ;-)
    To be sure type,
    echo $HOME

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  7. Re: print dialog firefox3

    On Aug 16, 12:00*pm, "Peter D." wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    > > On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:50:03 -0700 (PDT), Sindhu wrote:
    > >> On Aug 15, 7:31*pm, Bit Twister
    > >> wrote:

    > >> and i cannot navigate to */home/synful/.bash_profile in firefox ,
    > >> it says page not found.

    > > Hmm, I was trying to get you a plain text file that firefox
    > > can print. I assumed /home/synful was where you logged into
    > > and had assumed there was a .bash_profile residing there.

    > The OP's name is "syndhu" not "synful". *
    >
    > >> also what has knode to do with printing? it is a newsreader.

    > > Frap, my mistake, I meant konqueror not knode. *

    > > Click up a terminal and try
    > > konqueror $HOME/.bash_profile

    > Where "$HOME" is *probably* "/home/syndhu", but might not be. *;-) *
    > To be sure type,
    > echo $HOME
    >
    > > If print works, then
    > > firefox $HOME/.bash_profile

    > > I just wanted to make sure printing a plain text file worked.

    > --
    > Peter D. *
    > Sig goes here... *

    heh I know the home locations, i set up the system thanks though.

  8. Re: [OT] print dialog firefox3

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 17:00:14 +1000, Peter D. wrote:

    > The OP's name is "syndhu" not "synful".

    Since [ contents ] can be anything, I used name from OP's email addy.

  9. Re: print dialog firefox3

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:24:32 -0700 (PDT), Sindhu wrote:

    > Well if that's you were getting to do, you should have told me,

    Well, how freaking rude of me.

    I am sorry. I should have reviewed my Help Desk contract I have with you.
    I was completely unaware I am required to explain all the reasoning
    behind my attempts to get debugging information.

    I will immediately tell billing to send you a check for double,
    no triple, the amount you pay me for my services.

    Let's see if I can rectify that omission.

    First thing during debugging, is to note all the players involved in
    the activity.

    Second, map out the path required in the activity.

    Now, you have to decide which method of troubleshooting you will use.
    Shotgun or split half method.
    Shotgun is where you start at one end and work your way out the other
    end of the path.

    Split half method is where you jump in the middle of the path and
    decide on which side the problem resides. You then get in the middle
    of that half and repeat the process.

    A good starting place is to remove as many of the players as possible.

    If running konqueror does have the same problem, it is not firefox's
    problem either.

    As indicated before, running app in terminal may give helpful messages.

    Using a text file rules out webpage interaction/fonts/.... players
    and if it prints, I know the printer is working.

    I hope that meets with your approval. :-D

    > I am well acquainted with linux basics.

    And just exactly HOW am I supposed to know that.

    With that much experience, I would have guessed you would have figured
    out what I was trying to open. 8-)

    > Okay I navigated to my .bash_profile file and i hit ctrl + p,

    Navigated! Both command line examples were given to jump right to the file.

    Another reason for having you run the commands from the terminal is
    that you might see additional information when you attempt the print activity.

    When someone gives you commands, and you are satisfied they do not
    harm you, run the commands.

    > the
    > print dialog appeared without any problem, i also tried the ctrl + p
    > on a webpage, now that the printer connected to the desktop (also
    > running mandriva) is offline, the print dialog appears just fine,

    Good, that rules out all the players up to and including your local
    print manager.
    That leaves the firewalls on each system, remote print manager,
    hardware in between and routing.

    > so what's taking the print dialog too long to recognise the network
    > printer when its online?

    Are you saying, firefox does not hang if network printer is off line?

    Activities left as homework would be to verify you can log into the
    print server, print a job to verify it is working,
    click up a terminal on both remote/local systems
    su - root

    tail -f /var/log/messages

    Then submit another print job from the local node.

    If no errors, a control c will abort the tail commands.

    I will then suggest install/running wireshark to see who is dropping
    the ball.

    That does assume routing is working.

  10. Re: [OT] print dialog firefox3

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 17:00:14 +1000, Peter D. wrote:
    >
    >> The OP's name is "syndhu" not "synful".

    > Since [ contents ] can be anything, I used name from OP's email
    > addy.

    I only jumped in because it is so close to sinful that I though
    that there might have been a mildly amusing typo.

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  11. Re: print dialog firefox3

    On Aug 17, 11:49*am, "Peter D." wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    > > On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 17:00:14 +1000, Peter D. wrote:

    > >> The OP's name is "syndhu" not "synful".

    > > Since [ contents ] can be anything, I used name from OP's email
    > > addy.

    > I only jumped in because it is so close to sinful that I though
    > that there might have been a mildly amusing typo. *
    >
    > --
    > Peter D. *
    > Sig goes here... *

    ?? I can't even believe Bit Twister is angry. geez, didn't mean to.
    sorry.
    what did i say that's so offensive?

    thanks for all the help.

  12. Re: [OT] print dialog firefox3

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 01:40:12 -0700 (PDT), Sindhu wrote:

    > ?? I can't even believe Bit Twister is angry.

    He's not angry when you see him using Smileys in replies.
    http://members.aol.com/bearpage/smileys.htm

    All caps and no smileys will indicate not happy.

    > geez, didn't mean to. sorry.

    No apology needed, no offense was taken.

    > what did i say that's so offensive?

    It was not offensive,

    "Well if that's you were getting to do, you should have told me, I am
    well acquainted with linux basics. "

    I thought you sounded mad from the "Well if that's you were getting to do"

    I thought the "you should have told me" was funny, so I thought I
    would have some fun with it, and provide you and any lurkers some
    troubleshooting tips. 8-)

    You have a good day. :-D

  13. Re: print dialog firefox3

    On Aug 17, 10:11*pm, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 01:40:12 -0700 (PDT), Sindhu wrote:
    >
    > > ?? I can't even believe Bit Twister is angry.

    > He's not angry when you see him using Smileys in replies.http://members.aol.com/bearpage/smileys.htm
    >
    > All caps and no smileys will indicate not happy. *
    >
    > > geez, didn't mean to. sorry.

    > No apology needed, no offense was taken.
    >
    > > what did i say that's so offensive?

    > It was not offensive,
    >
    > "Well if that's you were getting to do, you should have told me, I am
    > well acquainted with linux basics. "
    >
    > I thought you sounded mad from the "Well if that's you were getting to do"
    >
    > I thought the "you should have told me" was funny, so I thought I
    > would have some fun with it, and provide you and any lurkers some
    > troubleshooting tips. *8-)
    >
    > You have a good day. * :-D

    Lol, i was worried if i pissed someone off.
    this is a relief now, thanks

    you have a good day too!

+ Reply to Thread