ldconfig - Mandriva

This is a discussion on ldconfig - Mandriva ; Using Mandriva 2008.1 I haven't fiddled with /etc/ld.so.conf for years. Recently, trying to compile an early port of cuneiform, an OCR program: https://launchpad.net/cuneiform-linux/ I needed Magick++.h which installs in /usr/include/GraphicsMagick/ . I added that path (minus the final slash) to ...

  1. ldconfig

    Using Mandriva 2008.1

    I haven't fiddled with /etc/ld.so.conf for years.

    Recently, trying to compile an early port of cuneiform, an OCR program:

    https://launchpad.net/cuneiform-linux/

    I needed Magick++.h which installs in /usr/include/GraphicsMagick/ .

    I added that path (minus the final slash) to /etc/ld.so.conf and ran
    ldconfig with no errors. The file still didn't show up with whereis or
    on "make". In desperation, I created a symlink back to /usr/include, which
    fixed its visibility, but still didn't allow the program to compile, so I
    gave up. The code is still immature, but as a separate issue, ldconfig
    should have worked. Or should it?

    TIA,

    Doug.

  2. Re: ldconfig

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Using Mandriva 2008.1
    >
    > I haven't fiddled with /etc/ld.so.conf for years.
    >
    > Recently, trying to compile an early port of cuneiform, an OCR program:
    >
    > https://launchpad.net/cuneiform-linux/
    >
    > I needed Magick++.h which installs in /usr/include/GraphicsMagick/ .
    >
    > I added that path (minus the final slash) to /etc/ld.so.conf and ran
    > ldconfig with no errors. The file still didn't show up with whereis or
    > on "make". In desperation, I created a symlink back to /usr/include,
    > which fixed its visibility, but still didn't allow the program to compile,
    > so I
    > gave up. The code is still immature, but as a separate issue, ldconfig
    > should have worked. Or should it?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Doug.

    /usr/include/ if the .h files (c, c++ headers).
    /etc/ld.so.conf is used to reference paths of installed libraries.

    You should read the cuneiform "howto install" in their website if any.

+ Reply to Thread