Outgoing mail problem, only on 1 user account, occurs with Kmail & thunderbird - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Outgoing mail problem, only on 1 user account, occurs with Kmail & thunderbird - Mandriva ; Hi, Problem: Out going mail fails with the messsage "unknown host mail.internode.on.net". Incoming mail works fine. Kmail account had been working. Recently configured postfix to collect & deliver root account mail to the user account with the problem as detailed ...

  1. Outgoing mail problem, only on 1 user account, occurs with Kmail & thunderbird

    Hi,
    Problem:
    Out going mail fails with the messsage "unknown host
    mail.internode.on.net". Incoming mail works fine.
    Kmail account had been working. Recently configured postfix to
    collect & deliver root account mail to the user account with the
    problem as detailed below:

    >tail -11 /etc/postfix/aliases
    >
    ># Person who should get root's mail. ┬*This alias
    ># must exist.
    ># CHANGE THIS LINE to an account of a HUMAN
    >root: ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* postfix┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬*┬*<===================== #

    changed to >chris

    ># Note to the user: You must create the alias above!
    ># The root alias must exist under postfix because
    ># postfix runs as a non-privileged user and cannot
    ># touch a spool file which is UID/GID root
    ># The mapping to the postfix user is to ensure that root's mail
    ># doesn't get lost on a system installed out of the box.

    and did a
    postalias aliases
    service postfix restart

    I did receive system messages.

    I have tried the following to learn more about the problem.

    1/ returned the /etc/postfix/aliases file back to it's default
    configuration (from copy made before editing the original) and
    did "postalias aliases" and restarted postfix. Problem remained.

    2/ I created a new user account in linux, and configured Kmail
    with the same email settings, and successfully sent mail.

    3/ In the user account with the problem, I installed Thunderbird,
    configured with the same settings, but same error message.

    What should I do to get outwards mail working again?

    Thanks for any help,
    Chris Roy-Smith

  2. Re: Outgoing mail problem, only on 1 user account, occurs with Kmail & thunderbird

    On Friday 15 August 2008 06:04, someone identifying as *Chris Roy-Smith*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Hi,
    > Problem:
    > Out going mail fails with the messsage "unknown host
    > mail.internode.on.net". [...]

    I'm not one of the mail gurus, but from the looks of it, it's a simple case
    of the system not recognizing FQDN, which means that you haven't defined it
    anywhere (except for your /postfix/ configuration file maybe). So you must
    first define the FQDN to the system in such a way that it can recognize it.

    Did you set it in */etc/hosts,* along with the proper IP address? And
    what's the output of...

    hostname

    .... at the command prompt?

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: Outgoing mail problem, only on 1 user account, occurs with Kmail & thunderbird

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Friday 15 August 2008 06:04, someone identifying as *Chris
    > Roy-Smith* wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> Problem:
    >> Out going mail fails with the messsage "unknown host
    >> mail.internode.on.net". [...]

    > I'm not one of the mail gurus, but from the looks of it, it's a
    > simple case of the system not recognizing FQDN, which means
    > that you haven't defined it
    > anywhere (except for your /postfix/ configuration file maybe).
    > So you must first define the FQDN to the system in such a way
    > that it can recognize it.
    >
    > Did you set it in */etc/hosts,* along with the proper IP
    > address? And what's the output of...
    >
    > hostname
    >
    > ... at the command prompt?

    Thanks Aragorn,
    Pinging "mail.internode.on.net" works, (on reflection, I should
    have said that). So as I understand it hosts is adequate. and
    why does it work on other account on same machine?

    regards Chris

  4. Re: Outgoing mail problem, only on 1 user account, occurs with Kmail & thunderbird

    Chris Roy-Smith wrote:

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Friday 15 August 2008 06:04, someone identifying as *Chris
    >> Roy-Smith* wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> Problem:
    >>> Out going mail fails with the messsage "unknown host
    >>> mail.internode.on.net". [...]

    >> I'm not one of the mail gurus, but from the looks of it, it's
    >> a simple case of the system not recognizing FQDN, which means
    >> that you haven't defined it
    >> anywhere (except for your /postfix/ configuration file maybe).
    >> So you must first define the FQDN to the system in such a way
    >> that it can recognize it.
    >>
    >> Did you set it in */etc/hosts,* along with the proper IP
    >> address? And what's the output of...
    >>
    >> hostname
    >>
    >> ... at the command prompt?
    >>

    > Thanks Aragorn,
    > Pinging "mail.internode.on.net" works, (on reflection, I should
    > have said that). So as I understand it hosts is adequate. and
    > why does it work on other account on same machine?
    >
    > regards Chris

    Just realized, I didn't say that the mail server is not mine, but
    the ISP.
    "hostname" returns develop.home.invalid

    hosts is:

    [chris@develop ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
    192.168.1.240 oldie.home.invalid oldie
    192.168.1.254 gateway
    127.0.0.1 develop.home.invalid develop localhost
    # generated by drakhosts
    192.168.1.247 main.home.invalid main
    192.168.1.250 server.home.invalid server

  5. Re: Outgoing mail problem, only on 1 user account, occurs withKmail & thunderbird

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:04:08 +1000, Chris Roy-Smith wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Problem:
    > Out going mail fails with the messsage "unknown host
    > mail.internode.on.net". Incoming mail works fine.
    > Kmail account had been working. Recently configured postfix to
    > collect & deliver root account mail to the user account with the
    > problem as detailed below:

    Without seeing what all is what, and actual /var/log/* messages
    describing the problem, I'll guess it does not like your FQDN or a
    part of it.

    My recommendations:

    Append the following to the bottom /etc/postfix/main.cf:

    masquerade_exceptions = root
    mydestination = $myhostname localhost.$mydomain localhost $mydomain
    mynetworks = 192.168.1.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8
    relay_domains =
    inet_interfaces = all
    unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
    smtp_host_lookup = dns, native

    #********************** end main.cf ********************

    and do a
    service postfix stop
    /bin/cp /dev/null /var/log/mail/errors.log
    /bin/cp /dev/null /var/log/mail/warnings.log
    /bin/cp /dev/null /var/log/mail/info.log
    service postfix start

    cat /var/log/mail/*.log
    and verify there are no errors or warnings. Then send a message to root;

    mail -s "$USER testshot" root < /dev/null

    Now, click up a terminal under chris's login and do a

    mail # where you should see 1 root testshot
    (carriage return here) # opens current mail message
    d # marks it delete
    q # deletes and closes mail app.

    If the above did not work, we need to see contents of
    cat /var/log/mail/*.log

    If it did work, you know mail sent to root, does get into chris's
    mail box.

    If that works, and you have installed imap, you should be able to create
    a new account in thunderbird, give the incomming mail server name as
    develop.home.invalid, click up a terminal,
    mail -s "$USER testshot" $USER < /dev/null

    Click Get mail in thunderbird and see chris testshot

  6. Re: Outgoing mail problem, only on 1 user account, occurs with Kmail & thunderbird

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:04:08 +1000, Chris Roy-Smith wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> Problem:
    >> Out going mail fails with the messsage "unknown host
    >> mail.internode.on.net". Incoming mail works fine.
    >> Kmail account had been working. Recently configured postfix to
    >> collect & deliver root account mail to the user account with
    >> the problem as detailed below:

    > Without seeing what all is what, and actual /var/log/* messages
    > describing the problem, I'll guess it does not like your FQDN
    > or a part of it.
    >
    > My recommendations:
    >
    > Append the following to the bottom /etc/postfix/main.cf:
    >
    > masquerade_exceptions = root
    > mydestination = $myhostname localhost.$mydomain localhost
    > $mydomain mynetworks = 192.168.1.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8
    > relay_domains =
    > inet_interfaces = all
    > smtp_host_lookup = dns, native
    >
    > #********************** end main.cf ********************
    >

    > and do a
    > service postfix stop
    > /bin/cp /dev/null /var/log/mail/errors.log
    > /bin/cp /dev/null /var/log/mail/warnings.log
    > /bin/cp /dev/null /var/log/mail/info.log
    > service postfix start
    >
    > cat /var/log/mail/*.log
    > and verify there are no errors or warnings. Then send a message
    > to root;
    >
    > mail -s "$USER testshot" root < /dev/null
    >

    > Now, click up a terminal under chris's login and do a
    >
    > mail # where you should see 1 root
    > testshot
    > (carriage return here) # opens current mail message
    > d # marks it delete
    > q # deletes and closes mail app.
    >
    > If the above did not work, we need to see contents of
    > cat /var/log/mail/*.log
    >
    > If it did work, you know mail sent to root, does get into
    > chris's mail box.
    >
    > If that works, and you have installed imap, you should be able
    > to create a new account in thunderbird, give the incomming mail
    > server name as develop.home.invalid, click up a terminal,
    > mail -s "$USER testshot" $USER < /dev/null
    >
    > Click Get mail in thunderbird and see chris testshot

    Thanks Bit Twister,

    That part seemed to work before, followed your instructions and
    all worked as you predicted.

    However I still cannot post mail to the internet in the normal
    fashion, using Kmail or Thunderbird in the account "chris" I
    just get the messsage:

    "unknown host mail.internode.on.net"

    when I try to send a message.

    The "test" user account I created still works fine for posting
    mail.

  7. Re: Outgoing mail problem, only on 1 user account, occurs with Kmail & thunderbird

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 18:57:16 +1000, Chris Roy-Smith wrote:
    >>
    >> That part seemed to work before,

    > Hmmm, work before when?
    > Are you talking about some other thread, or what you have been
    > doing so far?

    What I have done so far

    >> followed your instructions and all worked as you predicted.
    >>
    >> However I still cannot post mail to the internet in the normal
    >> fashion, using Kmail or Thunderbird in the account "chris" I
    >> just get the messsage:
    >>
    >> "unknown host mail.internode.on.net"
    >>
    >> when I try to send a message.

    > What, no information in cat /var/log/mail/*.log
    > Did you look? :-(
    > If you have errors in /var/log/mail/*.log, We will need to see
    > them.
    >
    >> The "test" user account I created still works fine for posting
    >> mail.

    > I will have to guess the "test" user account is the same login
    > as the one at internode.on.net. Is that correct?

    "test" account is another login on the linux box, with exactly
    the same email account settings to send & receive through
    mail.internode.on.net

    > As I mis-understand what you are doing, you will have add at
    > least two more lines to main.cf.
    > relayhost = your_ISPs_outgoing.mail.server_here
    > smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
    >
    > and create a generic file to munge the headers for anyone
    > sending outbound email or just outbound email from chris.
    >
    > For starters, append following 5 lines to bottom of
    > /etc/postfix/generic after you read the contents of generic.
    >

    > chris@develop.home.invalid
    > same_name_as_"test"_here@internode.on.net
    >
    > # postmap generic
    >
    > #************* end generic *******************************
    >

    > Do the "postmap generic" command and do a
    > service postfix stop
    > /bin/cp /dev/null /var/log/mail/errors.log
    > /bin/cp /dev/null /var/log/mail/warnings.log
    > /bin/cp /dev/null /var/log/mail/info.log
    > service postfix start
    >
    > cat /var/log/mail/*.log
    >
    > and verify there are no errors or warnings.

    output:

    [root@develop chris]# cat /var/log/mail/*.log
    Aug 16 10:21:45 develop postfix/postfix-script[9922]: starting
    the Postfix mail system
    Aug 16 10:21:45 develop postfix/master[9923]: daemon started --
    version 2.5.1, configuration /etc/postfix
    Aug 16 10:21:45 develop postfix/qmgr[9928]: A242A8ABBB:
    from=, size=1171, nrcpt=1 (queue
    active)
    Aug 16 10:21:46 develop postfix/smtp[9930]: A242A8ABBB:
    to=,
    relay=mail.internode.on.net[203.16.214.182]:25, delay=46426,
    delays=46425/0.03/1/0.27, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:
    Message 172654403 accepted)
    Aug 16 10:21:46 develop postfix/qmgr[9928]: A242A8ABBB: removed
    [root@develop chris]#

    [chris@develop ~]$ sudo cat /var/log/mail/*.log
    Aug 16 10:21:45 develop postfix/postfix-script[9922]: starting
    the Postfix mail system
    Aug 16 10:21:45 develop postfix/master[9923]: daemon started --
    version 2.5.1, configuration /etc/postfix
    Aug 16 10:21:45 develop postfix/qmgr[9928]: A242A8ABBB:
    from=, size=1171, nrcpt=1 (queue
    active)
    Aug 16 10:21:46 develop postfix/smtp[9930]: A242A8ABBB:
    to=,
    relay=mail.internode.on.net[203.16.214.182]:25, delay=46426,
    delays=46425/0.03/1/0.27, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:
    Message 172654403 accepted)
    Aug 16 10:21:46 develop postfix/qmgr[9928]: A242A8ABBB: removed
    Aug 16 10:25:22 develop postfix/pickup[9927]: 762C28ABBB: uid=500
    from=
    Aug 16 10:25:22 develop postfix/cleanup[10209]: 762C28ABBB:
    message-id=<20080816002522.762C28ABBB@develop.home.invalid>
    Aug 16 10:25:22 develop postfix/qmgr[9928]: 762C28ABBB:
    from=, size=486, nrcpt=1 (queue
    active)
    Aug 16 10:25:23 develop postfix/smtp[10211]: 762C28ABBB:
    to=,
    relay=mail.internode.on.net[203.16.214.182]:25, delay=0.6,
    delays=0.04/0.01/0.29/0.27, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:
    Message 172655267 accepted)
    Aug 16 10:25:23 develop postfix/qmgr[9928]: 762C28ABBB: removed

    > If /var/log/main/info.log shows no errors, you should see your
    > chris testshot message in your_email_account@internode.on.net.

    "testshot" message recieved via internode.on.net

    > If there are errors in /var/log/mail/*.log, those will have to
    > be corrected.
    >
    > If you have installed the postfix documentation, you might look
    > at

    file:///usr/share/doc/postfix/html/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html

    A very polite way of saying RTFM!

    urpmi had installed that for me { I will read carefully, and
    with time I hope understand

    Tried changing email sending to smtp localhost port 25 in
    Kmail, ......Now it works posting to my internode account.......

    I'm guessing that you are having a little chuckle about now,
    That's okay, I have learned something

    Thank you very much for Bit Twister

    Regards Chris Roy-Smith

  8. Re: Outgoing mail problem, only on 1 user account, occurs withKmail & thunderbird

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 12:51:54 +1000, Chris Roy-Smith wrote:

    > "test" account is another login on the linux box, with exactly
    > the same email account settings to send & receive through
    > mail.internode.on.net

    > [root@develop chris]# cat /var/log/mail/*.log

    > Aug 16 10:21:45 develop postfix/qmgr[9928]: A242A8ABBB:
    > from=, size=1171, nrcpt=1 (queue
    > active)

    Yea, postfix liked receiving it.

    > Aug 16 10:21:46 develop postfix/smtp[9930]: A242A8ABBB:
    > to=,
    > relay=mail.internode.on.net[203.16.214.182]:25, delay=46426,
    > delays=46425/0.03/1/0.27, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:
    > Message 172654403 accepted)

    hostrelay accepted your outbound email.

    > Aug 16 10:21:46 develop postfix/qmgr[9928]: A242A8ABBB: removed
    > [root@develop chris]#

    Queue cleaned up and ready for more email.

    > file:///usr/share/doc/postfix/html/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html
    >
    > A very polite way of saying RTFM!

    Well, it does do that, but more importantly, and the reason I posted it,
    is it might help if you decide to expand your LAN email reach
    to your other nodes.

    > Tried changing email sending to smtp localhost port 25 in
    > Kmail, ......Now it works posting to my internode account.......
    >
    > I'm guessing that you are having a little chuckle about now,

    I'll admit, at least a grin. Once you indicated, one account "test"
    worked and chris's did not. It did tend to point to a mail client
    setting problem.

    > That's okay, I have learned something

    Main thrust of my replies were to show how to troubleshoot/find where
    the mail breaks down.

  9. Re: Outgoing mail problem, only on 1 user account, occurs with Kmail & thunderbird

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 12:51:54 +1000, Chris Roy-Smith wrote:
    >>
    >> "test" account is another login on the linux box, with exactly
    >> the same email account settings to send & receive through
    >> mail.internode.on.net

    >> [root@develop chris]# cat /var/log/mail/*.log

    >> Aug 16 10:21:45 develop postfix/qmgr[9928]: A242A8ABBB:
    >> from=, size=1171, nrcpt=1 (queue
    >> active)

    > Yea, postfix liked receiving it.
    >
    >> Aug 16 10:21:46 develop postfix/smtp[9930]: A242A8ABBB:
    >> to=,
    >> relay=mail.internode.on.net[203.16.214.182]:25, delay=46426,
    >> delays=46425/0.03/1/0.27, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 ok:
    >> Message 172654403 accepted)

    > hostrelay accepted your outbound email.
    >
    >> Aug 16 10:21:46 develop postfix/qmgr[9928]: A242A8ABBB:
    >> removed
    >> [root@develop chris]#

    > Queue cleaned up and ready for more email.

    file:///usr/share/doc/postfix/html/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html

    >> A very polite way of saying RTFM!

    > Well, it does do that, but more importantly, and the reason I
    > posted it, is it might help if you decide to expand your LAN
    > email reach
    > to your other nodes.

    Yes, I can see some useful possibilities. When I get bolder I
    might look at getting my inwards mail on the local server, but
    let's learn to walk first!

    >> Tried changing email sending to smtp localhost port 25 in
    >> Kmail, ......Now it works posting to my internode
    >> account.......
    >>
    >> I'm guessing that you are having a little chuckle about now,

    > I'll admit, at least a grin. Once you indicated, one account
    > "test" worked and chris's did not. It did tend to point to a
    > mail client setting problem.
    >
    >> That's okay, I have learned something

    > Main thrust of my replies were to show how to troubleshoot/find
    > where the mail breaks down.

    Thanks again Bit Twister, I have always suspected your advice was
    aimed at teaching self sufficiency, and appreciate the extra
    patience and effort that requires.

  10. Re: Outgoing mail problem, only on 1 user account, occurs withKmail & thunderbird

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:51:55 +1000, Chris Roy-Smith wrote:

    > Chris Roy-Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Aragorn wrote:

    >>> I'm not one of the mail gurus, but from the looks of it, it's a simple
    >>> case of the system not recognizing FQDN, which means that you haven't
    >>> defined it
    >>> anywhere (except for your /postfix/ configuration file maybe). So you
    >>> must first define the FQDN to the system in such a way that it can
    >>> recognize it.
    >>>
    >>> Did you set it in */etc/hosts,* along with the proper IP address? And
    >>> what's the output of...
    >>>
    >>> hostname
    >>>
    >>> ... at the command prompt?
    >>>

    >> Thanks Aragorn,
    >> Pinging "mail.internode.on.net" works, (on reflection, I should have
    >> said that). So as I understand it hosts is adequate. and why does it
    >> work on other account on same machine?
    >>
    >> regards Chris

    > Just realized, I didn't say that the mail server is not mine, but the
    > ISP.
    > "hostname" returns develop.home.invalid
    >
    > hosts is:
    >
    > [chris@develop ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
    > 192.168.1.240 oldie.home.invalid oldie 192.168.1.254
    > gateway
    > 127.0.0.1 develop.home.invalid develop localhost #
    > generated by drakhosts 192.168.1.247 main.home.invalid
    > main 192.168.1.250 server.home.invalid server

    Postfix uses its own copies of several key files at
    /var/spool/postfix/etc/ - you'll need to copy your hosts file to
    /var/spool/postfix/etc/hosts if you want Postfix to see it.