Processor type - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Processor type - Mandriva ; Sounds like a silly question, but is a processor labelled "AMD Athlon(TM) XP 1700+" an i586 or i686 for the purposes of choosing a kernel? The box is fitted with 1Gb RAM, and I'm trying to decide which stock kernel ...

  1. Processor type

    Sounds like a silly question, but is a processor labelled "AMD
    Athlon(TM) XP 1700+" an i586 or i686 for the purposes of choosing a
    kernel? The box is fitted with 1Gb RAM, and I'm trying to decide which
    stock kernel to stick on it...

  2. Re: Processor type

    Keith wrote:
    > is a processor labelled "AMD
    > Athlon(TM) XP 1700+" an i586 or i686 for the purposes of choosing a
    > kernel?

    Next-to-last post on
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...7b30e3b2e75a5e
    says i686.

    Adam

  3. Re: Processor type

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 12:37:14 +0100, Keith wrote:

    > Sounds like a silly question, but is a processor labelled "AMD Athlon(TM)
    > XP 1700+" an i586 or i686 for the purposes of choosing a kernel? The box
    > is fitted with 1Gb RAM, and I'm trying to decide which stock kernel to
    > stick on it...

    686

  4. Re: Processor type

    On Wednesday 13 August 2008 13:37, someone identifying as *Keith* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Sounds like a silly question, but is a processor labelled "AMD
    > Athlon(TM) XP 1700+" an i586 or i686 for the purposes of choosing a
    > kernel? The box is fitted with 1Gb RAM, and I'm trying to decide which
    > stock kernel to stick on it...

    The /i586/ designation applies to the Intel Pentium and Pentium MMX, and the
    AMD K5, K6, K6-II and K6-III. I'm not sure about Cyrix processors.

    Any 32-bit /x86/ processor later than the above is an /i686./ So an Athlon
    XP is an /i686./ ;-) (I have an Athlon XP 2800+ in this machine here.)

    One of the main differences between /i586/ and /i686/ is that the /i686/ has
    a PAE mode (physical address extension) by which the processor can access
    up to 64 GB of physical RAM in pages of 4 GB.

    Intel's Pentium 4 series of microprocessors were also /i686/ but had a
    different design, i.e. the so-called Netburst architecture, which had
    longer pipelines. This made the processor slower for some tasks, and
    that's why later Pentium 4s and Xeons begot hyperthreading.

    Hope this clarifies things a bit. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: Processor type

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Wednesday 13 August 2008 13:37, someone identifying as *Keith* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> Sounds like a silly question, but is a processor labelled "AMD
    >> Athlon(TM) XP 1700+" an i586 or i686 for the purposes of choosing a
    >> kernel? The box is fitted with 1Gb RAM, and I'm trying to decide which
    >> stock kernel to stick on it...

    > The /i586/ designation applies to the Intel Pentium and Pentium MMX, and the
    > AMD K5, K6, K6-II and K6-III. I'm not sure about Cyrix processors.
    >
    > Any 32-bit /x86/ processor later than the above is an /i686./ So an Athlon
    > XP is an /i686./ ;-) (I have an Athlon XP 2800+ in this machine here.)

    Thanks to all who responded.

+ Reply to Thread