Error booting 2008 Spring mini-CD - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Error booting 2008 Spring mini-CD - Mandriva ; I cannot boot from the mini-CD that comes with the USB Flash device. I found someone with the same problem on the Mandriva Experts pages. The details are below. However, their incident is now rated as 'Closed', even though there ...

  1. Error booting 2008 Spring mini-CD

    I cannot boot from the mini-CD that comes with the USB Flash device. I found
    someone with the same problem on the Mandriva Experts pages. The details
    are below. However, their incident is now rated as 'Closed', even though
    there is no resolution listed. Can anyone please help?

    /bin/sh: cd: line1: can't cd to initrd/live
    mount: mounting bin on /live/bin failed
    rmdir: 'bin' directory not empty
    mount: mounting dev on /live/dev failed
    rmdir: 'dev' directory not empty
    mount: mounting etc on /live/etc failed
    rmdir: 'etc' directory not empty
    mount: mounting lib on /live/lib failed
    rmdir: 'lib' directory not empty
    mount: mounting live on /live/live failed
    rmdir: 'live' directory not empty
    mount: mounting proc on /live/proc failed
    mount: mounting sys on /live/sys failed
    mount: mounting tmp on /live/tmp failed
    rmdir: 'tmp' directory not empty
    mount: mounting usr on /live/usr failed
    rmdir: 'usr' directory not empty
    mv: cannot rename '/initrd/live/*': No such file or directory
    rmdir: '/initrd/live': No such file or directory
    mount: mounting unionfs on /var/log failed
    mount: mounting unionfs on /var/tmp failed
    unionfs: error accessing lower directory ' /live/distrib/tmp' (error -2)
    unionfs: read_super: error while parsing options (err = -2)
    mount: mounting unionfs on /tmp failed
    chmod: /var/tmp: No such file or directory
    Freeing unused kernel memory: 288k freed
    init started: BusyBox v1.6.1 (2008-03-25 01:53:27 UTC) multi-call binary
    Cannot run '/etc/init.d/rcS' : No such file or directory

    Please press Enter to activate this console

    Chris

    PS I can't boot from the USB device either - I'm not sure if that's a
    problem with the laptop. Mandriva keep telling me to boot from the mini-CD
    and use the 'factory reset' option, but as I don't get that far...

  2. Re: Error booting 2008 Spring mini-CD

    rousseau wrote:

    > I cannot boot from the mini-CD that comes with the USB Flash device. I
    > found someone with the same problem on the Mandriva Experts pages. The
    > details are below. However, their incident is now rated as 'Closed', even
    > though there is no resolution listed. Can anyone please help?
    >
    > /bin/sh: cd: line1: can't cd to initrd/live
    > mount: mounting bin on /live/bin failed
    > rmdir: 'bin' directory not empty
    > mount: mounting dev on /live/dev failed
    > rmdir: 'dev' directory not empty
    > mount: mounting etc on /live/etc failed
    > rmdir: 'etc' directory not empty
    > mount: mounting lib on /live/lib failed
    > rmdir: 'lib' directory not empty
    > mount: mounting live on /live/live failed
    > rmdir: 'live' directory not empty
    > mount: mounting proc on /live/proc failed
    > mount: mounting sys on /live/sys failed
    > mount: mounting tmp on /live/tmp failed
    > rmdir: 'tmp' directory not empty
    > mount: mounting usr on /live/usr failed
    > rmdir: 'usr' directory not empty
    > mv: cannot rename '/initrd/live/*': No such file or directory
    > rmdir: '/initrd/live': No such file or directory
    > mount: mounting unionfs on /var/log failed
    > mount: mounting unionfs on /var/tmp failed
    > unionfs: error accessing lower directory ' /live/distrib/tmp' (error -2)
    > unionfs: read_super: error while parsing options (err = -2)
    > mount: mounting unionfs on /tmp failed
    > chmod: /var/tmp: No such file or directory
    > init started: BusyBox v1.6.1 (2008-03-25 01:53:27 UTC) multi-call binary
    > Cannot run '/etc/init.d/rcS' : No such file or directory
    >
    > Please press Enter to activate this console
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > PS I can't boot from the USB device either - I'm not sure if that's a
    > problem with the laptop. Mandriva keep telling me to boot from the mini-CD
    > and use the 'factory reset' option, but as I don't get that far...

    No solution found on the net.

    https://qa.mandriva.com to report your issue.

  3. Re: Error booting 2008 Spring mini-CD

    rousseau wrote:

    > I cannot boot from the mini-CD that comes with the USB Flash device. I
    > found someone with the same problem on the Mandriva Experts pages. The
    > details are below. However, their incident is now rated as 'Closed', even
    > though there is no resolution listed. Can anyone please help?
    >
    > /bin/sh: cd: line1: can't cd to initrd/live
    > mount: mounting bin on /live/bin failed
    > rmdir: 'bin' directory not empty
    > mount: mounting dev on /live/dev failed
    > rmdir: 'dev' directory not empty
    > mount: mounting etc on /live/etc failed
    > rmdir: 'etc' directory not empty
    > mount: mounting lib on /live/lib failed
    > rmdir: 'lib' directory not empty
    > mount: mounting live on /live/live failed
    > rmdir: 'live' directory not empty
    > mount: mounting proc on /live/proc failed
    > mount: mounting sys on /live/sys failed
    > mount: mounting tmp on /live/tmp failed
    > rmdir: 'tmp' directory not empty
    > mount: mounting usr on /live/usr failed
    > rmdir: 'usr' directory not empty
    > mv: cannot rename '/initrd/live/*': No such file or directory
    > rmdir: '/initrd/live': No such file or directory
    > mount: mounting unionfs on /var/log failed
    > mount: mounting unionfs on /var/tmp failed
    > unionfs: error accessing lower directory ' /live/distrib/tmp' (error -2)
    > unionfs: read_super: error while parsing options (err = -2)
    > mount: mounting unionfs on /tmp failed
    > chmod: /var/tmp: No such file or directory
    > init started: BusyBox v1.6.1 (2008-03-25 01:53:27 UTC) multi-call binary
    > Cannot run '/etc/init.d/rcS' : No such file or directory
    >
    > Please press Enter to activate this console
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > PS I can't boot from the USB device either - I'm not sure if that's a
    > problem with the laptop. Mandriva keep telling me to boot from the mini-CD
    > and use the 'factory reset' option, but as I don't get that far...

    You could also try kernel option at boot time like adding "noapic"
    or "nolapic" or "acpi=off" in the boot command line (F2 or something like
    that when the booting CD menu appear).

+ Reply to Thread