Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi? - Mandriva ; Hi, I have tried to Goole a bit, but I am still in the darkness here. My problem: I have a wireless router and a workgroup of five computers, each one with a wifi-card and all is well so far. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

  1. Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    Hi,
    I have tried to Goole a bit, but I am still in the darkness here.
    My problem: I have a wireless router and a workgroup of five computers,
    each one with a wifi-card and all is well so far. BUT...When I try to
    copy big (gigabytes) files from my Mandriva computer to one of the other
    copmuters over the wifi it takes forever, so...I installed a extra
    network card in the Mandriva-machine and in the "other machine"..I
    configured the network cards with a static IP-adress, hooked up the red
    network-cable, and hey...Presto.. had a connection...BUT, in the same
    time the Mandriva machine lost it's Internet connection...Hmmmm. Are
    there a way of telling the Mandriva-machine to "focus" on the Wifi-card
    for internet access, and not on the Ad-hoc connection? Maybe a nifty way
    of editing some file?
    Any help would be higly appreciated.

    Roger

    --
    Mandriva Linux 2008.1 pwp (Linuxcounter #432950)

    MSI K8TM, 1,0 Gb Memory, AMD Sempron 3000+ CPU
    ATI Sapphire Radeon X1600
    Be against others the way
    you want to be treated yourself

  2. Re: Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 00:56:16 +0200, Roger wrote:
    > BUT, in the same
    > time the Mandriva machine lost it's Internet connection...Hmmmm. Are
    > there a way of telling the Mandriva-machine to "focus" on the Wifi-card
    > for internet access, and not on the Ad-hoc connection? Maybe a nifty way
    > of editing some file?

    You need to set the default gateway device.
    Assuming your new Ethernet device is eth0

    $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
    NETWORKING_IPV6=no
    NOZEROCONF=yes
    GATEWAYDEV=eth0 <======= Here I set the default device as eth0
    GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no
    NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=wm81.home.test

    Another option is to remove the GATEWAY line in
    or change it to your wifi value.

    Note: any changes using the Mandriva Control Center/network gui tools
    will overwrite changes to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    and/or /etc/sysconfig/network

    After changes do a
    service network restart
    to check changes.

  3. Re: Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    Bit Twister skrev:
    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 00:56:16 +0200, Roger wrote:
    >> BUT, in the same
    >> time the Mandriva machine lost it's Internet connection...Hmmmm. Are
    >> there a way of telling the Mandriva-machine to "focus" on the Wifi-card
    >> for internet access, and not on the Ad-hoc connection? Maybe a nifty way
    >> of editing some file?

    > You need to set the default gateway device.
    > Assuming your new Ethernet device is eth0
    >
    > $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
    > NETWORKING_IPV6=no
    > NOZEROCONF=yes
    > GATEWAYDEV=eth0 <======= Here I set the default device as eth0
    > GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
    > NEEDHOSTNAME=no
    > NETWORKING=yes
    > HOSTNAME=wm81.home.test
    >
    > Another option is to remove the GATEWAY line in
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    > or change it to your wifi value.
    >
    > Note: any changes using the Mandriva Control Center/network gui tools
    > will overwrite changes to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    > and/or /etc/sysconfig/network
    >
    > After changes do a
    > service network restart
    > to check changes.

    Thanks Bit Twister, I did what you told me, but as soon I enable eth0
    (my wificard is ath0) I am not able to surf on the internet via ath0
    (eth0 is my ad-hoc network). I must be doing somehing wrong here.

    Roger

    --
    Mandriva Linux 2008.1 pwp (Linuxcounter #432950)

    MSI K8TM, 1,0 Gb Memory, AMD Sempron 3000+ CPU
    ATI Sapphire Radeon X1600
    Be against others the way
    you want to be treated yourself

  4. Re: Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 01:15:38 +0200, Roger wrote:
    > Thanks Bit Twister, I did what you told me, but as soon I enable eth0
    > (my wificard is ath0) I am not able to surf on the internet via ath0
    > (eth0 is my ad-hoc network). I must be doing somehing wrong here.

    Well, tell you what, get the wifi connection back and run the script
    and let me see what you have.

    NOTE: look through the output before posting and change any sensitive
    wifi data, to CHANGED

    -------- standard debug network problem text/script follows: ------------
    dump_net.txt version 4.9

    If you read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    it will suggest you provide any information about your setup which might
    help troubleshoot your problem. Example, Internet connection type,
    (cable, adsl,,,), it's hardware, (vendor/model of the modem).
    Maybe that your system is hooked to a hub/switch/router and type of
    hookup, (Ethernet,usb, wireless,...), distribution, config file values,... .

    We need to know about your network hardware and see your config settings.

    If something does not start up, try
    dmesg
    and/or look through /var/log/messages for an error message.

    If your problem is slow network give a URL so we can try it.

    Once you get your network running, you may want to run xx one last time
    and save the output file for disk crash/new installs

    Might not hurt to save xx for one of a network debugging checklist steps.

    The following ambidextrous script is for suse, mandriva, ubuntu, kubuntu
    and will dump your hardware status, network settings and config files used
    in network setup. We need that information to troubleshoot your problem.

    If you are having to use windows to access Usenet:
    Format a diskette on the windows system.

    CAUTION: review the output and verify no sensitive WIRELESS key
    information is in the output. If so just change the value to _REMOVED_

    Copy the following xx.txt script into xx.txt using notepad.exe
    then save xx.txt to the diskette/cd/usb stick.

    To get the script results back to Windows and
    none of the above hardware works, you can use http://www.fs-driver.org/

    If you do not want some malware writing to linux. You can replace it
    with http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ which does not
    provide write access to linux.

    The above assumes you have not created a FAT partition to exchange
    files between OSs. If you did, copy dosa.txt to it from linux and read
    it from windows.

    I do recommend remove/un-installing the windows/linux file system
    driver after you get the linux network up.

    Makes your Windows Anti Virus scanner run much faster after removal.

    Also, if logged into windows, it would be nice to include your windows
    network settings. Click up a Prompt/cmd/terminal and add in contents from
    ipconfig /all
    when you reply with linux settings.

    If using linux for Usenet access, su - root, copy script text into xx
    chmod +x xx
    ./xx

    and include a.txt (if on linux) or dosa.txt (if on windows) in your reply.
    Do not attach it.

    NOTE: to become root, you need to do a
    su - root
    not su root

    For the suse, ubuntu, kubuntu users,
    sudo -i
    chmod +x xx
    ../xx

    exit will exit the sudo -i command.

    Do not change text formatting of the output file.
    If you want to hide something like domain name, use an editor to do a global
    substitution of .yourdomain.com to .invalid.com
    Do not worry about showing you LAN ip addresses because
    nobody is going to be able to connect to 198.162.x.x from the Internet.
    You dinking with ip addresses could hide the problem or send us off on a
    snipe hunt.

    If xx is not in your home directory, you will have to provide the full
    path in place of $HOME. Example:
    sudo -i
    chmod +x /some/where/xx
    /some/where/xx

    ------------------ Script starts below this line ---------
    #!/bin/bash
    #************************************************* ************
    #*
    #* xx - Dump network config files and network hardware status
    #*
    #* Output: a.txt is the linux file
    #* dosa.txt is the Windows file
    #*
    #************************************************* ************

    _fn=a.txt
    _out_fn=$PWD/$_fn
    _dos_fn=$PWD/dos${_fn}
    _home=$PWD

    function cat_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -f $_fn ] ; then
    _count=$(stat -c %s $_fn )
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo "=== cat $_fn ====" >> $_out_fn
    cat $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi
    } # end cat_fn

    function grep_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    _count=$(stat -c %s $_fn )
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    _count=$(grep -v '^#' $_fn | wc -l)
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== grep -v '^#' $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    if [ "$_fn" != "shorewall.conf" ] ; then
    grep -v '^#' $_fn >> $_out_fn
    else
    awk 'empty{if (!/^#/) print; empty=0} /^$/{empty=1}' $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi
    fi
    fi
    } # end grep_fn

    function ls_dir
    {
    _dr=$1
    if [ -d $_dr ] ; then
    echo "========= cd $_dr ; ls -al ========" >> $_out_fn
    cd $_dr
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    fi
    } # end ls_dir

    function tail_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    echo "======== tail -18 $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    tail -18 $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    } # end tail_fn

    #********************************
    # check if commands are in $PATH
    # and if not add them to PATH
    #********************************

    _path=""
    type ifconfig > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/sbin:"
    fi

    type cat > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/bin:"
    fi

    type id > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/usr/bin:"
    fi

    if [ -n "$_path" ] ; then
    PATH=${_path}$PATH
    export PATH
    fi

    #*****************************************
    # check if root and logged in correctly
    #*****************************************

    _uid=$(id --user)

    if [ $_uid -ne 0 ] ; then
    echo " "
    echo "You need to be root to run $0"
    echo "Click up a terminal and do the following:"
    echo " "
    echo "su - root"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    echo "or "
    echo " "
    echo "sudo -i"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    exit 1
    fi

    root_flg=1

    if [ -n "$LOGNAME" ] ; then
    if [ "$LOGNAME" != "root" ] ; then
    root_flg=0
    fi
    fi

    if [ -n "$USER" ] ; then
    if [ "$USER" != "root" ] ; then
    root_flg=0
    fi
    fi

    if [ $root_flg -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo " "
    echo "Guessing you did a su root"
    echo "instead of a su - root"
    echo "please exit/logout of this session and do the following:"
    echo " "
    echo "su - root"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    echo "or "
    echo " "
    echo "sudo -i"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    exit 1
    fi

    #********************************
    # main code starts here
    #********************************

    echo "Working, output will be in $_out_fn "

    date > $_out_fn
    chmod 666 $_out_fn

    if [ -n "$_path" ] ; then
    echo "======== echo $PATH ==========" >> $_out_fn
    echo "$PATH" >> $_out_fn 2>&1
    fi

    type lsb_release > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    cat_fn /etc/release
    echo "======== lsb_release -a ==========" >> $_out_fn
    lsb_release -a >> $_out_fn 2>&1
    else

    for _d in /etc/*release ; do
    if [ ! -d $_d ] ; then
    echo "======== cat $_d ==========" >> $_out_fn
    cat $_d >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    for _d in /etc/*version ; do
    if [ ! -d $_d ] ; then
    echo "======== cat $_d ==========" >> $_out_fn
    cat $_d >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    cat_fn /proc/*version

    fi

    echo "======== uname -rvi =============" >> $_out_fn
    uname -rvi >> $_out_fn

    echo " " >> $_out_fn
    if [ -n "$SECURE_LEVEL" ] ; then
    echo "msec security level is $SECURE_LEVEL" >> $_out_fn
    fi

    echo "
    $(grep 'model name' /proc/cpuinfo)
    $(grep 'cpu MHz' /proc/cpuinfo)

    " >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg

    echo "======== free ==========" >> $_out_fn
    free >> $_out_fn 2>&1
    echo " " >> $_out_fn

    if [ -e /etc/inittab ] ; then
    _line=$(grep :initdefault /etc/inittab)
    set -- $(IFS=':'; echo $_line)
    echo " " >> $_out_fn
    echo "Default run level is $2" >> $_out_fn
    echo " " >> $_out_fn
    fi

    type chkconfig > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== chkconfig --list ==========" >> $_out_fn
    for _serv in avahi named tmdns ; do
    chkconfig --list | grep -i $_serv > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "Double check if /$_serv/ needs to be disabled on boot" >> $_out_fn
    chkconfig --list | grep -i $_serv >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    chkconfig --list >> $_out_fn

    else
    echo "======== ls -o /etc/rcS.d/ ==========" >> $_out_fn
    for _serv in avahi named tmdns ; do
    ls /etc/rcS.d/S* | grep $_serv > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "Double check if /$_serv/ needs to be disabled on boot" >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    ls -o /etc/rcS.d >> $_out_fn
    fi

    _fn=/etc/nsswitch.conf
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    echo "======== grep hosts: $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    grep hosts: $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi

    grep_fn /etc/resolv.conf

    grep_fn /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head
    cat_fn /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base
    cat_fn /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail

    echo "======== hostname --fqdn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    hostname --fqdn >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/netprofile/profiles/default/files/etc/hosts
    cat_fn /etc/hostname
    cat_fn /etc/HOSTNAME

    ls /etc/mod*.conf > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== grep eth /etc/mod*.conf ==========" >> $_out_fn
    grep -i eth /etc/mod*.conf >> $_out_fn
    fi

    if [ -e /etc/modprobe.conf ] ; then
    echo "======== cat /etc/modprobe.conf ==========" >> $_out_fn
    cat /etc/modprobe.conf >> $_out_fn
    fi

    cat_fn /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks
    cat_fn /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks

    grep_fn /etc/host.conf

    echo "================ ifconfig -a ==============" >> $_out_fn
    ifconfig -a >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/iftab
    cat_fn /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules

    echo "============== route -n =================" >> $_out_fn
    route -n >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network/routes

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network
    grep_fn /etc/mkinitramfs/initramfs.conf

    echo "========== head -15 /etc/hosts ===========" >> $_out_fn
    head -15 /etc/hosts >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/network/interfaces
    cat_fn /var/run/network/ifstate
    cat_fn /etc/dhclient.conf

    if [ -e /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf ] ; then
    echo "========== grep -v '^#' /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf ========" >> $_out_fn
    grep -v '^#' /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf >> $_out_fn
    fi

    ethtool_flg=0
    type ethtool > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    ethtool_flg=1
    fi

    mii_tool_flg=0
    type mii-tool > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    mii_tool_flg=1
    fi

    for _dir in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts \
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices \
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default
    do
    if [ -d $_dir ] ; then
    _cnt=$(ls $_dir/ifcfg-eth* 2> /dev/null | wc -w )
    if [ $_cnt -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo "========== ls $_dir/ifcfg-eth* ===" >> $_out_fn
    ls $_dir/ifcfg-eth* >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi
    done

    for nic in 0 1 2 3 ; do

    if [ $mii_tool_flg -eq 1 ] ; then
    mii-tool -v eth$nic > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== mii-tool -v eth$nic ==========" >> $_out_fn
    mii-tool -v eth$nic >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi

    if [ $ethtool_flg -eq 1 ] ; then
    ethtool eth$nic > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== ethtool eth$nic ==========" >> $_out_fn
    ethtool eth$nic >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi

    echo "=== dmesg | grep eth$nic | grep -v SRC= ===" >> $_out_fn
    dmesg | grep eth$nic | grep -v SRC= >> $_out_fn

    echo "=== grep eth$nic /var/log/messages | tail -10 ===" >> $_out_fn
    grep eth$nic /var/log/messages | tail -10 >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth$nic
    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth$nic
    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth$nic

    ifconfig eth$nic > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    set $(ifconfig eth$nic | tr [A-Z] [a-z])
    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth-id-$5
    fi

    tail_fn /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth${nic}.leases
    tail_fn /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth${nic}.leases
    tail_fn /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth${nic}.info

    done # end for nic in 0 1 2 3 ; do

    _dir=/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d
    if [ -d $_dir ] ; then
    ls_dir $_dir

    for _d in "if-up.d" "if-down.d" "if-pre-up.d" "if-post-down.d" ; do
    if [ -e /etc/network/${_d} ] ; then
    echo "==== cd /etc/network/${_d} ; ls -al ===" >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/network/${_d}
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done
    fi

    if [ -d /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts ] ; then
    for _d in "ifdown.d" "ifup.d" ; do
    if [ -e /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d} ] ; then
    _cmd="cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d} ; ls -al "
    echo "===== $_cmd ====" >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d}
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done
    fi

    ls_dir /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-exit-hooks.d
    ls_dir /etc/resolvconf/update.d

    if [ -d /etc/shorewall ] ; then
    _count=$(chkconfig --list shorewall | grep -c n )
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo "======= Shorewall settings =========" >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/shorewall
    for _f in $(ls) ; do
    echo "======= $_f =========" >> $_out_fn
    grep_fn $_f
    done
    fi
    fi

    cd $_home

    grep_fn /etc/hosts.allow
    grep_fn /etc/hosts.deny
    echo "==== end of config/network data dump =======" >> $_out_fn

    awk '{print $0 "\r" }' $_out_fn > $_dos_fn
    chmod 666 $_dos_fn

    echo " "
    echo "If posting via linux, post contents of $_out_fn"
    echo "You might want to copy it to your account with the command"
    echo "cp $_out_fn ~your_login"
    echo " "
    echo "If posting via windows, post contents of $_dos_fn"
    echo " "
    echo "If using diskette,"
    echo "Copy $_dos_fn to diskette with the following commands:"
    echo " "
    echo "mkdir -p /floppy"
    echo "mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /floppy"
    echo "cp $_dos_fn /floppy"
    echo "umount /floppy "
    echo " "
    echo "and $_dos_fn is ready for windows from diskette"
    echo " "

    #*********** end of dump xx.txt script *********

    ----------- script ends above this line ------------------------

    and then copy xx.txt to the diskette.

    On some linux distributions, you may need to get into the User/Group
    screen, show all users, double click root, create the password, and
    enable root. Root's password should never be the same as anyone else's.

    To move xx.txt from diskette to the linux box, click up a linux terminal
    su - root
    (root's passwd)

    mkdir -p /floppy
    mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /floppy
    tr -d '\015' < /floppy/xx.txt > xx
    chmod +x xx
    ../xx

    Back on the windows OS, you can cut/paste the a:\dosa.txt into your reply
    under windows.
    Do not attach it.

    When you do reply, please remove/trim my response/text/script from your reply
    before you add in the results/output of the script.

    If you are dual booting the box, you can copy xx.txt to linux from windows.
    Note: The following assumes /dev/hda1 is where windows is installed on the
    first partition on the C: drive
    If you have sata drive, you may have to use /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/hda1.

    cat /etc/fstab to see which value will be required.
    Do keep quotes used in the following:
    mkdir -p /doze
    mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /doze
    tr -d '\015' < "/doze/wherever/you_saved/xx.txt" > xx
    umount /doze

    On windows you can read dosa.txt from a linux partition if you installed
    windows linux file system driver from
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

    Remember to remove/uninstall it to allow your Windows Anti Virus
    scanner to run faster.

  5. Re: Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    Ok, Bit Twister. First: Thanks a lot!!
    Second, This was a long output =)

    (I have a little D-link router on that eth0 card now, giving it a dhcp
    ip adress, so it is no longer static)
    Anyway, here's the output.Thanks for taking your time.

    All the best
    Roger

    Output starts here:
    on. 13. aug. 12:40:29 +0200 2008
    === cat /etc/release ====
    ======== lsb_release -a ==========
    LSB Version:
    lsb-3.1-ia32:lsb-3.1-noarch:core-3.0-ia32:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:cxx-3.0-ia32:cxx-3.0-noarch:graphics-3.0-ia32:graphics-3.0-noarch:lsb-3.0-ia32:lsb-3.0-noarch:qt4-3.1-ia32:qt4-3.1-noarch
    Distributor ID: MandrivaLinux
    Release: 2008.1
    Codename: cambria
    ======== uname -rvi =============
    2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb #1 SMP Thu Mar 27 14:34:39 CET 2008 unknown

    msec security level is 2

    model name : AMD Unknown Processor
    cpu MHz : 1800.188

    === cat /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg ====
    {
    }

    Main {
    key-ids: 70771ff3
    mirrorlist: $MIRRORLIST
    with-dir: media/main/release
    }

    Main\ Updates {
    key-ids: 22458a98
    mirrorlist: $MIRRORLIST
    update
    with-dir: media/main/updates
    }

    Main\ Testing {
    ignore
    mirrorlist: $MIRRORLIST
    with-dir: media/main/testing
    }

    Main\ Backports {
    ignore
    mirrorlist: $MIRRORLIST
    with-dir: media/main/backports
    }

    Contrib {
    key-ids: 78d019f5
    mirrorlist: $MIRRORLIST
    with-dir: media/contrib/release
    }

    Contrib\ Updates {
    key-ids: 26752624
    mirrorlist: $MIRRORLIST
    update
    with-dir: media/contrib/updates
    }

    Contrib\ Testing {
    ignore
    mirrorlist: $MIRRORLIST
    with-dir: media/contrib/testing
    }

    Contrib\ Backports {
    ignore
    mirrorlist: $MIRRORLIST
    with-dir: media/contrib/backports
    }

    Non-free {
    key-ids: 70771ff3
    mirrorlist: $MIRRORLIST
    with-dir: media/non-free/release
    }

    Non-free\ Updates {
    key-ids: 26752624
    mirrorlist: $MIRRORLIST
    update
    with-dir: media/non-free/updates
    }

    Non-free\ Testing {
    ignore
    mirrorlist: $MIRRORLIST
    with-dir: media/non-free/testing
    }

    Non-free\ Backports {
    ignore
    mirrorlist: $MIRRORLIST
    with-dir: media/non-free/backports
    }

    PLF\ Free {
    key-ids: caba22ae
    mirrorlist: http://plf.zarb.org/mirrors/$RELEASE.$ARCH.list
    update
    with-dir: media/../../../../2008.1/free/release/binary/i586
    }

    PLF\ Free\ backports {
    ignore
    mirrorlist: http://plf.zarb.org/mirrors/$RELEASE.$ARCH.list
    with-dir: media/../../../../2008.1/free/backports/binary/i586
    }

    PLF\ Non-free {
    key-ids: caba22ae
    mirrorlist: http://plf.zarb.org/mirrors/$RELEASE.$ARCH.list
    update
    with-dir: media/../../../../2008.1/non-free/release/binary/i586
    }

    PLF\ Non-free\ backports {
    ignore
    mirrorlist: http://plf.zarb.org/mirrors/$RELEASE.$ARCH.list
    with-dir: media/../../../../2008.1/non-free/backports/binary/i586
    }
    ======== free ==========
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 515700 491584 24116 0 7132 212088
    -/+ buffers/cache: 272364 243336
    Swap: 2714944 216 2714728

    Default run level is 5

    ======== chkconfig --list ==========
    Double check if /avahi/ needs to be disabled on boot
    avahi-daemon 0:av 1:av 2:av 3 4:av 5 6:av
    acpid 0:av 1:av 2:av 3 4 5 6:av
    alsa 0:av 1:av 2 3 4 5 6:av
    atd 0:av 1:av 2:av 3 4 5 6:av
    atftpd 0:av 1:av 2:av 3:av 4:av 5:av 6:av
    atieventsd 0:av 1:av 2:av 3:av 4:av 5 6:av
    avahi-daemon 0:av 1:av 2:av 3 4:av 5 6:av
    coherence 0:av 1:av 2:av 3 4 5 6:av
    crond 0:av 1:av 2 3 4 5 6:av
    cups 0:av 1:av 2 3 4 5 6:av
    dkms 0:av 1:av 2:av 3 4 5 6:av
    dm 0:av 1:av 2:av 3:av 4:av 5 6:av
    fuse 0:av 1:av 2:av 3 4 5 6:av
    haldaemon 0:av 1:av 2:av 3 4 5 6:av
    harddrake 0:av 1:av 2:av 3 4 5 6:av
    hcfpci 0:av 1:av 2 3 4 5 6:av
    hylafax-server 0:av 1:av 2:av 3:av 4:av 5:av 6:av
    iptables 0:av 1:av 2 3 4 5 6:av
    jexec 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
    keytable 0:av 1:av 2 3 4 5 6:av
    kheader 0:av 1:av 2 3 4:av 5 6:av
    ksysguard 0:av 1:av 2:av 3:av 4:av 5:av 6:av
    lisa 0:av 1:av 2:av 3 4 5 6:av
    mandi 0:av 1:av 2 3 4 5 6:av
    messagebus 0:av 1:av 2 3 4 5 6:av
    netconsole 0:av 1:av 2:av 3:av 4:av 5:av 6:av
    netfs 0:av 1:av 2:av 3 4 5 6:av
    network 0:av 1:av 2 3 4 5 6:av
    network-up 0:av 1:av 2 3 4 5 6:av
    nfs-common 0:av 1:av 2 3 4 5 6:av
    ntpd 0:av 1:av 2 3 4 5 6:av
    numlock 0:av 1:av 2:av 3 4 5 6:av
    partmon 0:av 1:av 2:av 3 4 5 6:av
    postfix 0:av 1:av 2:av 3:av 4:av 5:av 6:av
    resolvconf 0:av 1:av 2 3 4 5 6:av
    rpcbind 0:av 1:av 2:av 3 4 5 6:av
    shorewall 0:av 1:av 2 3 4 5 6:av
    smb 0:av 1:av 2:av 3 4 5 6:av
    sound 0:av 1:av 2 3 4 5 6:av
    syslog 0:av 1:av 2 3 4 5 6:av
    webmin 0:av 1:av 2 3 4 5 6:av
    wine 0:av 1:av 2 3 4 5 6:av
    xinetd 0:av 1:av 2:av 3 4 5 6:av

    xinetd baserte tjenester:
    cups-lpd: av
    cvs: av
    rsync: av
    swat: p
    tftp: av
    wu-ftpd: p
    ======== grep hosts: /etc/nsswitch.conf ==========
    hosts: files nis dns
    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/resolv.conf ==========
    nameserver 192.165.0.1
    nameserver 192.168.0.1
    search adsl.tele2.no
    ======== hostname --fqdn ==========
    filserver
    === cat /etc/netprofile/profiles/default/files/etc/hosts ====
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    ======== grep eth /etc/mod*.conf ==========
    /etc/modprobe.conf:alias eth0 via_rhine
    ======== cat /etc/modprobe.conf ==========
    alias eth0 via_rhine
    alias sound-slot-0 snd_via82xx
    install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe sata_via; /bin/true
    install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe ehci_hcd; /sbin/modprobe uhci_hcd;
    /bin/true
    alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
    install ide-controller /sbin/modprobe via82cxxx; /sbin/modprobe siimage;
    /bin/true
    alias pci:v00001106d00003065sv00001462sd00007410bc02sc00 i00 via_rhine
    alias pci:v00000E11d0000AE32sv00000000sd00000000bc02sc80 i00 tlan
    alias /dev/ttySHCF[0-9]* /dev/ttySHCF
    alias /dev/modem /dev/ttySHCF
    alias char-major-240 /dev/ttySHCF
    alias char-major-240-* /dev/ttySHCF
    options hcfpciserial serialmajor=240
    alias /dev/hcfpcidiag hcfpciosspec
    alias /dev/hcfpcidiag* /dev/hcfpcidiag
    alias char-major-242 /dev/hcfpcidiag
    alias char-major-242-* /dev/hcfpcidiag
    options hcfpciosspec diagmajor=242
    install /dev/ttySHCF /sbin/modprobe hcfpcihw; /bin/true
    alias pci:v00001814d00000201sv00001371sd00000020bc02sc80 i00 rt2500pci
    alias pci:v0000168Cd00000013sv000016ABsd00007302bc02sc00 i00 ath_pci
    alias ath0 ath_pci
    alias net-pf-10 off
    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/host.conf ==========
    order hosts,bind
    multi on
    ================ ifconfig -a ==============
    ath0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:03:2F:20C0
    inet addr:192.168.0.198 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::203:2fff:fe20:dcd0/64 Scope:Link
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:2844178 (2.7 MiB) TX bytes:336756 (328.8 KiB)

    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:76:A0:E5:5E
    inet addr:192.165.0.100 Bcast:192.165.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::20c:76ff:fea0:e55e/64 Scope:Link
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:650 (650.0 b) TX bytes:4100 (4.0 KiB)
    Interrupt:21 Base address:0xb000

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:56230 (54.9 KiB) TX bytes:56230 (54.9 KiB)

    wifi0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr
    00-03-2F-20-DC-D0-78-DF-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:199
    RX bytes:3976198 (3.7 MiB) TX bytes:402665 (393.2 KiB)
    Interrupt:19

    === cat /etc/iftab ====
    eth1 mac 00:08:c7:28:e9:0c
    wlan0 mac 00:08:a1:81:c2:c9
    ath0 mac 00:03:2f:20:dc:d0
    eth0 mac 00:0c:76:a0:e5:5e
    === cat /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules ====
    # udev persistent rules for net subsystem
    # Generated by Mandriva udev rules
    # See /etc/udev/rules.d/62-create_persistent.rules

    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*",
    SYSFS{address}=="00:0c:76:a0:e5:5e", NAME="eth0", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*",
    SYSFS{address}=="00:08:c7:28:e9:0c", NAME="eth1", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*",
    SYSFS{address}=="00:08:a1:81:c2:c9", ATTRS{type}=="1", NAME="wlan0",
    ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*",
    SYSFS{address}=="00:03:2f:20:dc:d0", ATTRS{type}=="1", NAME="ath0",
    ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    ============== route -n =================
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    Iface
    192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 35 0 0 ath0
    192.165.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 10 0 0 eth0
    127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
    0.0.0.0 192.165.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 10 0 0 eth0
    0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 35 0 0 ath0
    === cat /etc/sysconfig/network ====
    NETWORKING=yes
    NETWORKING_IPV6=no
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no
    GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
    NOZEROCONF=yes
    GATEWAYDEV=eth0
    HOSTNAME=filserver
    ========== head -15 /etc/hosts ===========
    127.0.0.1 filserver localhost FILSERVER
    192.168.0.198 FILSERVER
    # generated by drakhosts
    ========== grep -v '^#' /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf ========

    INTERFACES="eth0"

    ARGS="-fwI -u0 -d10"

    ========== ls /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* ===
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0~
    ======== mii-tool -v eth0 ==========
    eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD flow-control, link ok
    product info: vendor 00:40:63, model 50 rev 8
    basic mode: autonegotiation enabled
    basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
    capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
    advertising: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
    flow-control
    link partner: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
    flow-control
    ======== ethtool eth0 ==========
    Settings for eth0:
    Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
    Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Speed: 100Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Port: MII
    PHYAD: 1
    Transceiver: internal
    Auto-negotiation: on
    Supports Wake-on: pumbg
    Wake-on: d
    Current message level: 0x00000001 (1)
    Link detected: yes
    === dmesg | grep eth0 | grep -v SRC= ===
    eth0: VIA Rhine II at 0x1b000, 00:0c:76:a0:e5:5e, IRQ 21.
    eth0: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x7849 advertising 05e1 Link 0000.
    eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x4DE1
    eth0: no IPv6 routers present
    === grep eth0 /var/log/messages | tail -10 ===
    Aug 13 12:19:50 filserver kernel: eth0: VIA Rhine II at 0x1b000,
    00:0c:76:a0:e5:5e, IRQ 21.
    Aug 13 12:19:50 filserver kernel: eth0: MII PHY found at address 1,
    status 0x7849 advertising 05e1 Link 0000.
    Aug 13 12:39:55 filserver net_applet[7947]: launched command:
    /usr/sbin/usernetctl eth0 report
    Aug 13 12:39:55 filserver net_applet[7947]: running: /sbin/ifup eth0 daemon
    Aug 13 12:39:56 filserver kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex,
    lpa 0x4DE1
    Aug 13 12:39:57 filserver avahi-daemon[6443]: Registering new address
    record for fe80::20c:76ff:fea0:e55e on eth0.*.
    Aug 13 12:40:00 filserver dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to
    255.255.255.255 port 67
    Aug 13 12:40:00 filserver avahi-daemon[6443]: Joining mDNS multicast
    group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 192.165.0.100.
    Aug 13 12:40:00 filserver avahi-daemon[6443]: New relevant interface
    eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.
    Aug 13 12:40:00 filserver avahi-daemon[6443]: Registering new address
    record for 192.165.0.100 on eth0.IPv4.
    === cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 ====
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    ONBOOT=no
    METRIC=10
    MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
    USERCTL=yes
    RESOLV_MODS=no
    IPV6INIT=no
    IPV6TO4INIT=no
    DHCP_CLIENT=dhclient
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no
    PEERDNS=yes
    PEERYP=yes
    PEERNTPD=no
    ======== tail -18 /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth0.leases ==========
    option domain-name-servers 192.165.0.1;
    renew 6 2008/8/16 10:14:47;
    rebind 2 2008/8/19 01:39:23;
    expire 2 2008/8/19 22:39:23;
    }
    lease {
    interface "eth0";
    fixed-address 192.165.0.100;
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
    option routers 192.165.0.1;
    option dhcp-lease-time 604800;
    option dhcp-message-type 5;
    option domain-name-servers 192.165.0.1;
    option dhcp-server-identifier 192.165.0.1;
    renew 6 2008/8/16 20:54:59;
    rebind 2 2008/8/19 13:40:00;
    expire 3 2008/8/20 10:40:00;
    }
    === dmesg | grep eth1 | grep -v SRC= ===
    === grep eth1 /var/log/messages | tail -10 ===
    === dmesg | grep eth2 | grep -v SRC= ===
    === grep eth2 /var/log/messages | tail -10 ===
    === dmesg | grep eth3 | grep -v SRC= ===
    === grep eth3 /var/log/messages | tail -10 ===
    ========= cd /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d ; ls -al ========
    totalt 12
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-05-02 00:06 .
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2008-05-02 00:06 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 175 2008-02-01 21:30 00-netreport
    ===== cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown.d ; ls -al ====
    totalt 12
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-05-02 00:06 .
    drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 2008-08-13 00:36 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 224 2008-04-04 18:21 vpn
    ===== cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup.d ; ls -al ====
    totalt 20
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-05-02 00:12 .
    drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 2008-08-13 00:36 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 676 2007-12-19 15:18 netprofile
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 819 2008-03-26 12:55 postfix
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 225 2008-04-04 18:21 vpn
    ========= cd /etc/resolvconf/update.d ; ls -al ========
    totalt 24
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-05-02 00:06 .
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2008-05-02 00:06 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3542 2006-08-09 15:36 bind
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2969 2008-01-08 17:46 dnscache
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4465 2008-03-14 22:26 libc
    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/hosts.allow ==========

    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/hosts.deny ==========

    ==== end of config/network data dump =======

    --
    Mandriva Linux 2008.1 pwp (Linuxcounter #432950)

    MSI K8TM, 1,0 Gb Memory, AMD Sempron 3000+ CPU
    ATI Sapphire Radeon X1600
    Be against others the way
    you want to be treated yourself

  6. Re: Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 12:46:50 +0200, Roger wrote:
    > Ok, Bit Twister. First: Thanks a lot!!

    I have not done anything, yet.

    I assume you have all updates installed.

    > Second, This was a long output =)

    Not as much as it could be. Script is for Ethernet and not for wifi.
    I would need a wifi setup to finish adding to the script or someone
    to work with, which knows what I need to add for troubleshooting wifi.

    > (I have a little D-link router on that eth0 card now, giving it a dhcp
    > ip adress, so it is no longer static)

    Well that bites, and will cause what you are seeing.
    My first recommendation is set everything static instead of dynamic
    wherever possible for what you want to do.

    Setting nodes as static will also improve your security in case
    router/windows node gets hacked.

    > Anyway, here's the output.Thanks for taking your time.

    Just trying to repay the Usenet time given to me.

    I will be making comments/suggestions along the way. Most will be just
    for improvements. I write for the lurkers and anyone who might find
    this reply from a search engine.

    Since you have gone dynamic. I am pretty sure I can
    not solve the problem without having to write some scripts.
    Since I do not have wifi hardware, that option is out the window.

    > ======== lsb_release -a ==========
    > LSB Version:
    > lsb-3.1-ia32:lsb-3.1-noarch:core-3.0-ia32:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:cxx-3.0-ia32:cxx-3.0-noarch:graphics-3.0-ia32:graphics-3.0-noarch:lsb-3.0-ia32:lsb-3.0-noarch:qt4-3.1-ia32:qt4-3.1-noarch
    > Distributor ID: MandrivaLinux
    > Release: 2008.1
    > Codename: cambria

    Hmmm, that is odd. first time I have seen that.

    # lsb_release -a
    LSB Version: lsb-3.1-ia32:lsb-3.1-noarch:*
    Distributor ID: MandrivaLinux
    Release: 2008.1
    Codename: cambria

    > msec security level is 2

    Someone has been playing around in Security section.
    Default is High (3). and I know of no reason to run at 2.
    I have no experience as to what all happens when moving from a high to
    lower level. Next install, you might consider not dinking with
    security level.

    > === cat /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg ====
    > {
    > }

    You might want to consider getting into the Software Management Screen
    Configure Media
    Click Options, Global and at least set wget as the Downloader program.
    I have see curl cause disconnects on some strict mirrors which enforce
    number of same user connection limits.

    > Main\ Testing {
    > ignore
    > mirrorlist: $MIRRORLIST
    > with-dir: media/main/testing
    > }

    ignore is good. Testing is not for anyone who does not know how to
    unscramble their eggs.

    > Main\ Backports {
    > ignore
    > mirrorlist: $MIRRORLIST
    > with-dir: media/main/backports

    Have seen that bite me, so ignore is ok for the newbie.

    > ======== free ==========
    > total used free shared buffers cached
    > Mem: 515700 491584 24116 0 7132 212088
    > -/+ buffers/cache: 272364 243336
    > Swap: 2714944 216 2714728

    Looking like a lightly loaded system at this snapshot.

    > Default run level is 5

    I run at 3, Seems to boot faster for me. First time you get video/gui
    problems, you might wish you were at 3. Downside is at 3 you have to enter
    startx on each login.

    > ======== chkconfig --list ==========
    > Double check if /avahi/ needs to be disabled on boot
    > avahi-daemon 0:av 1:av 2:av 3å 4:av 5å 6:av

    Now that bites. Being an American, all I know how to read is American
    and some English. :-)

    I recommend getting into System Services and Stop then disable On Boot
    for avahi-daemon

    > jexec 0å 1å 2å 3å 4å 5å 6å

    Well, look at you. Hope you have latest installed (jre-6u7-linux-i586-rpm)
    I have no desire to have jexec service running since Black Hats have
    been using java* exploits.

    Best way I have seen to disable that service is to add

    exit 0

    above # LSB compliant error values
    in /etc/init.d/jexec

    > ======== grep hosts: /etc/nsswitch.conf ==========
    > hosts: files nis dns

    Guessing you have not installed/configured nis.

    To speed up my ip lookups, I have

    # grep hosts: /etc/nsswitch.conf
    hosts: files dns

    > ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/resolv.conf ==========
    > nameserver 192.165.0.1
    > nameserver 192.168.0.1
    > search adsl.tele2.no

    I would not has set the search value in Networking.
    I would remove the search line in your case. Do a
    man resolv.conf
    to see what that feature does for you.

    I have decided to use Opendns nameservers instead of whatever the
    ISP downloads. Black Hats have been cracking routers and putting their
    nameservers in the router.

    Something you might want to look into when you get this network problem solved.
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...c4674ee714a691

    > ======== hostname --fqdn ==========
    > filserver

    Ok, some applications, postfix, leafnode to name two,
    like a Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) for a name.

    I suggest filserver.whatever.invalid or filserver.whatever.test

    > ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/host.conf ==========
    > order hosts,bind
    > multi on

    Guessing that is because of security level 2. Or maybe I enabled my
    settings it in the security settings.

    # grep -v '^#' /etc/host.conf
    order hosts,bind
    multi on
    nospoof on
    spoofalert on

    > ============== route -n =================
    > Kernel IP routing table
    > Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    > Iface
    > 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 35 0 0 ath0
    > 192.165.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 10 0 0 eth0
    > 127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
    > 0.0.0.0 192.165.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 10 0 0 eth0
    > 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 35 0 0 ath0

    Yep, guessing the 192.165.0.1 gateway is where your internet
    connection fails. If it was set for 192.168.0.1 it would work.
    That should be caused by eth0 getting a dynamic ip.

    > === cat /etc/sysconfig/network ====
    > NETWORKING=yes
    > NETWORKING_IPV6=no
    > NEEDHOSTNAME=no
    > GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
    > NOZEROCONF=yes
    > GATEWAYDEV=eth0
    > HOSTNAME=filserver

    Suggestion and a fix needed there

    NETWORKING_IPV6=no
    NOZEROCONF=yes <===== add this line
    GATEWAYDEV=ath0 <==== I think this is what you need here
    GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no
    NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=filserver.wherever.test <=== sets a FQDN

    > ========== head -15 /etc/hosts ===========
    > 127.0.0.1 filserver localhost FILSERVER
    > 192.168.0.198 FILSERVER

    Now that the node has a FQDN, we need to fix it here.
    If you can make the other nodes static, you could add their ip/name to the list.

    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.0.198 filserver.wherever.test filserver

    Note: Any time I change the node's name, I reboot just to make sure
    all daemon/services get the new name.

    Snippet from my setup follows:
    $ head -5 /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
    192.168.1.11 fw.home.test fw
    192.168.1.130 wm80.home.test wm80
    192.168.1.131 wm81.home.test wm81
    192.168.1.132 wkubu7.home.test wkubu7

    > ========== ls /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* ===
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0~

    Hmmm, you might consider deleting the
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*~ files.
    I do not think the network scripts know to ignore something like ifcfg-eth0~

    > === cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 ====
    > DEVICE=eth0
    > BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    > ONBOOT=no

    Yep, because BOOTPROTO=dhcp, ifcfg-eth0 will get a different gateway
    and dink up your routing. :-(
    eth0 Needs to be set static.
    When you are in the Network section of MCC, you need to set it static
    with a gateway of 192.168.0.1

    What happens is /etc/sysconfig/network values are overridden
    by what is found in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files.

    NOTE: Anytime you dink around in the Network section of MCC,
    /etc/sysconfig/network will loose your custom settings. :-(

    > ==== end of config/network data dump =======

    What, no shorewall dump. That's ok, if you snipped it from the data dump.

    If you did not, hopefully you have no Windoze boxes on the LAN.
    If you do, you need a firewall and assume the doze boxes are infected
    or at least a point of entry by malware.

  7. Re: Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    Roger writes:

    >Ok, Bit Twister. First: Thanks a lot!!
    >Second, This was a long output =)

    >(I have a little D-link router on that eth0 card now, giving it a dhcp
    >ip adress, so it is no longer static)

    So that eth0 card is NOT AdHoc. AdHoc is a form of wireless connection to
    an access point. You have, I am almost certain, an ethernet card, which is
    attached by a wire to the router.

    >Anyway, here's the output.Thanks for taking your time.

    >}

    >======== grep eth /etc/mod*.conf ==========
    >/etc/modprobe.conf:alias eth0 via_rhine
    >======== cat /etc/modprobe.conf ==========
    >alias eth0 via_rhine

    Yup here it is. YOur eth0 is a wired ethernet card.

    >alias ath0 ath_pci

    and here is your wireless.

    >================ ifconfig -a ==============
    >ath0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:03:2F:20C0
    > inet addr:192.168.0.198 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    > inet6 addr: fe80::203:2fff:fe20:dcd0/64 Scope:Link
    > UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    > RX bytes:2844178 (2.7 MiB) TX bytes:336756 (328.8 KiB)

    >eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:76:A0:E5:5E
    > inet addr:192.165.0.100 Bcast:192.165.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    > inet6 addr: fe80::20c:76ff:fea0:e55e/64 Scope:Link
    > UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    > RX bytes:650 (650.0 b) TX bytes:4100 (4.0 KiB)
    > Interrupt:21 Base address:0xb000

    And both are connected and working.

    >wifi0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr
    >00-03-2F-20-DC-D0-78-DF-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
    > UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:199
    > RX bytes:3976198 (3.7 MiB) TX bytes:402665 (393.2 KiB)
    > Interrupt:19

    And I have no idea what this is. What is wifi0?

    >=== cat /etc/iftab ====
    >eth1 mac 00:08:c7:28:e9:0c

    And what in the world is eth1?
    Why do you have four different ways of connecting to networks?

    >wlan0 mac 00:08:a1:81:c2:c9
    >ath0 mac 00:03:2f:20:dc:d0
    >eth0 mac 00:0c:76:a0:e5:5e
    >=== cat /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules ====
    ># udev persistent rules for net subsystem
    ># Generated by Mandriva udev rules
    ># See /etc/udev/rules.d/62-create_persistent.rules

    >SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*",
    >SYSFS{address}=="00:0c:76:a0:e5:5e", NAME="eth0", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    >SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*",
    >SYSFS{address}=="00:08:c7:28:e9:0c", NAME="eth1", ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    >SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*",
    >SYSFS{address}=="00:08:a1:81:c2:c9", ATTRS{type}=="1", NAME="wlan0",
    >ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    >SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ENV{INTERFACE}!="*.*",
    >SYSFS{address}=="00:03:2f:20:dc:d0", ATTRS{type}=="1", NAME="ath0",
    >ENV{MDV_CONFIGURED}="yes"
    >============== route -n =================
    >Kernel IP routing table
    >Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    >Iface
    >192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 35 0 0 ath0
    >192.165.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 10 0 0 eth0
    >127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
    >0.0.0.0 192.165.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 10 0 0 eth0
    >0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 35 0 0 ath0

    And you have two default routes. Only the last one will be used. The other
    will be ignored.

    Now remind us people who have just joined the discussion what the question
    was.

  8. Re: Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    >> msec security level is 2

    >Someone has been playing around in Security section.
    >Default is High (3). and I know of no reason to run at 2.

    Lots of reasons for running at 2, not least because mandriva's ideas of
    security are very different from mine. Going to a higher security can
    really screw up your machine on Mandriva.

    >I have no experience as to what all happens when moving from a high to
    >lower level. Next install, you might consider not dinking with
    >security level.

    >> ======== chkconfig --list ==========
    >> Double check if /avahi/ needs to be disabled on boot
    >> avahi-daemon 0:av 1:av 2:av 3å 4:av 5å 6:av

    >Now that bites. Being an American, all I know how to read is American
    >and some English. :-)

    and you cannot figure out which is yes and which is no?
    Not that it matters.

    >Well, look at you. Hope you have latest installed (jre-6u7-linux-i586-rpm)
    >I have no desire to have jexec service running since Black Hats have
    >been using java* exploits.

    >Best way I have seen to disable that service is to add

    >exit 0

    Sorry, why in the world would you want to do that?

    >> ============== route -n =================
    >> Kernel IP routing table
    >> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    >> Iface
    >> 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 35 0 0 ath0
    >> 192.165.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 10 0 0 eth0
    >> 127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
    >> 0.0.0.0 192.165.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 10 0 0 eth0
    >> 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 35 0 0 ath0

    >Yep, guessing the 192.165.0.1 gateway is where your internet
    >connection fails. If it was set for 192.168.0.1 it would work.
    >That should be caused by eth0 getting a dynamic ip.

    192.165.0.1 is his service provider. Using 192,168.0.1 means that you HAVE
    to rely on whatever his wireless modem is connected to. Since I suspect it
    is connected to nothing, nothing can ever get out of his system.

  9. Re: Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:40:25 GMT, Unruh wrote:

    >>=== cat /etc/iftab ====
    >>eth1 mac 00:08:c7:28:e9:0c

    > And what in the world is eth1?

    On board nic maybe. It is not part of the problem, so far.

    > Now remind us people who have just joined the discussion what the question
    > was.

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...6b4cc5fe5b64fb

  10. Re: [OT] Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:47:36 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    >> Bit Twister wrote:

    >>> msec security level is 2

    >>Someone has been playing around in Security section.
    >>Default is High (3). and I know of no reason to run at 2.

    > Lots of reasons for running at 2,

    I have yet to find something which does not work at 3.

    > not least because mandriva's ideas of security are very different from mine.

    Not a good enough reason for a newbie to lower the default security setting.

    > Going to a higher security can really screw up your machine on Mandriva.

    I would not say it screws up the machine.

    I can agree setting it to the highest setting requires quite a bit of
    knowledge to get it connected back to the net with a services like I
    would like. 8-)

    >>> ======== chkconfig --list ==========
    >>> Double check if /avahi/ needs to be disabled on boot
    >>> avahi-daemon 0:av 1:av 2:av 3å 4:av 5å 6:av

    >>Now that bites. Being an American, all I know how to read is American
    >>and some English. :-)

    > and you cannot figure out which is yes and which is no?
    > Not that it matters.

    Yes, I did figure it out, and it did matter security wise in his setup.
    avahi-daemon needs to be disabled in his dhcp setup.

    >>Well, look at you. Hope you have latest installed (jre-6u7-linux-i586-rpm)
    >>I have no desire to have jexec service running since Black Hats have
    >>been using java* exploits.

    >>Best way I have seen to disable that service is to add

    >>exit 0

    > Sorry, why in the world would you want to do that?

    I assume you mean adding the "exit 0".

    In the past, it would become enabled on the next boot,
    even if you had unchecked On Boot.

    Had I deleted it, I would assume next update would replace it.

    >>> ============== route -n =================
    >>> Kernel IP routing table
    >>> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    >>> Iface
    >>> 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 35 0 0 ath0
    >>> 192.165.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 10 0 0 eth0
    >>> 127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
    >>> 0.0.0.0 192.165.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 10 0 0 eth0
    >>> 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 35 0 0 ath0

    >>Yep, guessing the 192.165.0.1 gateway is where your internet
    >>connection fails. If it was set for 192.168.0.1 it would work.
    >>That should be caused by eth0 getting a dynamic ip.

    > 192.165.0.1 is his service provider.

    Nope, 192.168.0.1 is towards the Internet.

    > Using 192,168.0.1 means that you HAVE
    > to rely on whatever his wireless modem is connected to. Since I suspect it
    > is connected to nothing, nothing can ever get out of his system.

    But that is what the wifi0/ath0 interfaces you saw in ipconfig -a were about.

    Start of thread can be found here.

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...6b4cc5fe5b64fb

  11. Re: Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    Bit Twister writes:

    >On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:40:25 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    >>
    >>>=== cat /etc/iftab ====
    >>>eth1 mac 00:08:c7:28:e9:0c

    >> And what in the world is eth1?

    >On board nic maybe. It is not part of the problem, so far.

    >> Now remind us people who have just joined the discussion what the question
    >> was.

    >http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...6b4cc5fe5b64fb

    It is always a good idea to keep the original question. I am not going to
    hunt through past posts trying to figure out what is going on.

    But the answer is obvious. He is setting up a default route on his ethernet
    which takes over from the default route through the wireless. Remove that
    default route on the ethernet.
    route del default eth0

    as root.
    and his connection to the internet should come back up.
    And the setup for his ethernet eth0 should NOT include a gateway.

  12. Re: [OT] Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    Bit Twister writes:

    >>>Well, look at you. Hope you have latest installed (jre-6u7-linux-i586-rpm)
    >>>I have no desire to have jexec service running since Black Hats have
    >>>been using java* exploits.

    >>>Best way I have seen to disable that service is to add

    >>>exit 0

    >> Sorry, why in the world would you want to do that?

    >I assume you mean adding the "exit 0".

    >In the past, it would become enabled on the next boot,
    >even if you had unchecked On Boot.

    >Had I deleted it, I would assume next update would replace it.

    No
    rm /etc/rc{3,5}.d/*avahi*
    should do fine.

    >>>Yep, guessing the 192.165.0.1 gateway is where your internet
    >>>connection fails. If it was set for 192.168.0.1 it would work.
    >>>That should be caused by eth0 getting a dynamic ip.

    >> 192.165.0.1 is his service provider.

    >Nope, 192.168.0.1 is towards the Internet.

    Then he is behaving totally irresponsibly by labeling and internel machine
    with an external IP address. That is a nono, and he should stop.
    Use 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x for any internal IP addresses.

    >> Using 192,168.0.1 means that you HAVE
    >> to rely on whatever his wireless modem is connected to. Since I suspect it
    >> is connected to nothing, nothing can ever get out of his system.

    >But that is what the wifi0/ath0 interfaces you saw in ipconfig -a were about.

    >Start of thread can be found here.

    >http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...6b4cc5fe5b64fb

  13. Re: Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:58:39 GMT, Unruh wrote:

    > But the answer is obvious. He is setting up a default route on his ethernet
    > which takes over from the default route through the wireless. Remove that
    > default route on the ethernet.
    > route del default eth0
    >
    > as root.
    > and his connection to the internet should come back up.
    > And the setup for his ethernet eth0 should NOT include a gateway.

    Hmmm, looking at one of my setups, we see

    $ route -n
    Kernel IP routing table
    192.168.3.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 10 0 0 eth1
    10.0.2.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 10 0 0 eth0
    169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 10 0 0 eth1
    169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 10 0 0 eth0
    0.0.0.0 10.0.2.2 0.0.0.0 UG 10 0 0 eth0

    and yet eth1 has a gateway value.

    $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
    DEVICE=eth1
    BOOTPROTO=static
    IPADDR=192.168.3.100
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    GATEWAY=192.168.3.1
    ONBOOT=yes
    METRIC=10
    MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
    USERCTL=no
    DNS1=192.168.3.2
    RESOLV_MODS=no
    IPV6INIT=no
    IPV6TO4INIT=no

    $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    ONBOOT=yes
    METRIC=10
    MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes
    USERCTL=no
    RESOLV_MODS=no
    IPV6INIT=no
    IPV6TO4INIT=no
    DHCP_CLIENT=dhclient
    DHCP_HOSTNAME=beta1.home.test
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no
    PEERDNS=yes
    PEERYP=no
    PEERNTPD=no

  14. Re: Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:40:25 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > Roger writes:
    >
    >>Ok, Bit Twister. First: Thanks a lot!! Second, This was a long output =)

    >>(I have a little D-link router on that eth0 card now, giving it a dhcp
    >>ip adress, so it is no longer static)

    > So that eth0 card is NOT AdHoc.

    No indeed, it's managed.

    > AdHoc is a form of wireless connection
    > to an access point.

    No. If there is an access point that manages the wireless subsystem, it
    is termed managed mode. Ad-hoc means that there is no managing machine.

    >>alias ath0 ath_pci

    > and here is your wireless.
    >
    >>================ ifconfig -a ==============
    >>ath0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:03:2F:20C0
    >> inet addr:192.168.0.198 Bcast:192.168.0.255
    >> Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr: fe80::203:2fff:fe20:dcd0/64
    >> Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    >> RX packets:3916 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX
    >> packets:1853 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    >> collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    >> RX bytes:2844178 (2.7 MiB) TX bytes:336756 (328.8 KiB)

    >>eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:76:A0:E5:5E
    >> inet addr:192.165.0.100 Bcast:192.165.0.255
    >> Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr: fe80::20c:76ff:fea0:e55e/64
    >> Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    >> RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX
    >> packets:22 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    >> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    >> RX bytes:650 (650.0 b) TX bytes:4100 (4.0 KiB) Interrupt:21
    >> Base address:0xb000

    > And both are connected and working.

    Yup

    >>wifi0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr
    >>00-03-2F-20-DC-D0-78-DF-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
    >> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX
    >> packets:13203 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:1655 TX
    >> packets:1985 errors:9 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    >> collisions:0 txqueuelen:199
    >> RX bytes:3976198 (3.7 MiB) TX bytes:402665 (393.2 KiB)
    >> Interrupt:19

    > And I have no idea what this is. What is wifi0?

    Many (most?) wireless interfaces that use the new kernel wireless stack
    create a "wifi" interface that is mapped direct to the physical device.

    >>=== cat /etc/iftab ====
    >>eth1 mac 00:08:c7:28:e9:0c

    > And what in the world is eth1?
    > Why do you have four different ways of connecting to networks?

    There may not be four actual interfaces - see above.

    Since the wireless part seems to be the problem, the output of iwconfig
    might be useful.

  15. Re: [OT] Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:02:54 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    > Bit Twister writes:
    >
    > No
    > rm /etc/rc{3,5}.d/*avahi*
    > should do fine.

    Unless, you happen to go through the Services GUI in MCC and click Ok.
    And at least a security level 3, K/S* links will be rebuilt from
    /etc/init.d/ scripts headers weekly IIRC.

    I have not checked out the above, but every once in awhile, my
    host intrusion detection Environment package (aide) will tell me
    about a date change on the links. I remember during the week I have
    changed something in the services GUI.

    > 192.165.0.1 is his service provider.
    >
    >>Nope, 192.168.0.1 is towards the Internet.

    > Then he is behaving totally irresponsibly by labeling and internel machine
    > with an external IP address. That is a nono, and he should stop.
    > Use 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x for any internal IP addresses.

    Well, I cannot argue to much there.
    $ whois 192.165.0.0

    Shows it owned by
    inetnum: 192.165.0.0 - 192.165.0.255
    netname: SE-CELSIUS
    person: Bengt Nilsson
    address: Kanalvagen 12
    address: 194 83 Upplands Vasby
    address: Sweden

    The OP might want to consider setting eth1 to something in 192.168.4.xx

  16. Re: Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 00:56:16 +0200, Roger wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have tried to Goole a bit, but I am still in the darkness here.
    > My problem: I have a wireless router and a workgroup of five computers,
    > each one with a wifi-card and all is well so far. BUT...When I try to
    > copy big (gigabytes) files from my Mandriva computer to one of the other
    > copmuters over the wifi it takes forever, so...I installed a extra
    > network card in the Mandriva-machine and in the "other machine"..I
    > configured the network cards with a static IP-adress, hooked up the red
    > network-cable, and hey...Presto.. had a connection...BUT, in the same
    > time the Mandriva machine lost it's Internet connection...Hmmmm. Are
    > there a way of telling the Mandriva-machine to "focus" on the Wifi-card
    > for internet access, and not on the Ad-hoc connection? Maybe a nifty way
    > of editing some file?
    > Any help would be higly appreciated.

    Basically this is what I see you trying to do.

    ..--------------. .-----------------.
    | router | | filserver | .----------------.
    | wifi |----|-wifi0<-->ath0 | | nodex |
    | 192.168.0.1 | | GW 192.168.0.1 | | GW 192.168.4.1 |
    | | | eth0-----|-------------| eth0 |
    `--------------' | 192.168.4.1 | | 192.168.4.2 |
    `-----------------' | |
    `----------------'

    eth0 in filserver needs to have GATEWAY=192.168.0.1 setup as static.

    filserver has to do ip forwarding for nodex, so do a

    echo "net.ipv4.ip_forward=1" >> /etc/sysctl.conf

    and then do a

    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

    On nodex, GateWay should be same as ip eth0 on filserver.

    If internet on filserver still broke when bringing up eth0,
    we will need to see results of

    route -n
    cat /etc/sysconfig/network
    cat /etc/hosts
    cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

    I assume you are keeping an admin diary of what was changed from/to in
    each file.
    Or what values were used in what GUI screen. 8-)

  17. Re: [OT] Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    Bit Twister writes:

    >On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:02:54 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    >> Bit Twister writes:
    >>
    >> No
    >> rm /etc/rc{3,5}.d/*avahi*
    >> should do fine.

    >Unless, you happen to go through the Services GUI in MCC and click Ok.
    >And at least a security level 3, K/S* links will be rebuilt from
    >/etc/init.d/ scripts headers weekly IIRC.

    Erasing it is fine unless you reinstall it. Yes, I agree. But why in the
    world would you reinstall it?
    If security level 3 does that then that is yet another reason to stay as
    far away as possible from level 3

    >I have not checked out the above, but every once in awhile, my
    >host intrusion detection Environment package (aide) will tell me
    >about a date change on the links. I remember during the week I have
    >changed something in the services GUI.

    >> 192.165.0.1 is his service provider.
    >>
    >>>Nope, 192.168.0.1 is towards the Internet.

    >> Then he is behaving totally irresponsibly by labeling and internel machine
    >> with an external IP address. That is a nono, and he should stop.
    >> Use 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x for any internal IP addresses.

    >Well, I cannot argue to much there.
    >$ whois 192.165.0.0

    >Shows it owned by
    >inetnum: 192.165.0.0 - 192.165.0.255
    >netname: SE-CELSIUS
    >person: Bengt Nilsson
    >address: Kanalvagen 12
    >address: 194 83 Upplands Vasby
    >address: Sweden

    >The OP might want to consider setting eth1 to something in 192.168.4.xx

    Yes, or if the 198 confuses him, use 10.x.x.x

  18. Re: [OT] Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:17:44 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    > Bit Twister writes:
    >
    >>On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:02:54 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    >>> Bit Twister writes:
    >>>
    >>> No
    >>> rm /etc/rc{3,5}.d/*avahi*
    >>> should do fine.

    >>Unless, you happen to go through the Services GUI in MCC and click Ok.
    >>And at least a security level 3, K/S* links will be rebuilt from
    >>/etc/init.d/ scripts headers weekly IIRC.

    > Erasing it is fine unless you reinstall it. Yes, I agree. But why in the
    > world would you reinstall it?

    Did not say I erased /etc/init.d/jexec, I pretty sure it would come
    back during an update.

    > If security level 3 does that then that is yet another reason to stay as
    > far away as possible from level 3

    Does not matter about level 3, Service GUI screen seemed to put links
    back after clicking OK.

    > Yes, or if the 198 confuses him, use 10.x.x.x

    Since some ISPs use the 10.x.x.x network to manage their customer
    equipment, I would not recommend it just to keep everyone honest.

  19. Re: Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    Ok, thanks a lot for your time....both of you. I have just returned from
    night-shift, and will try to explain a little.
    My eth0 (on-board) is connected on the "backside" of the machine,
    towards my wannabe private lan. The router there, a D-link dir-100 have
    192.165.0.1 as ip-adress. My Wifi-card (ath0) have 192.168.0.198 as
    ip-adress and is connected to a wireless router,192.168.0.1 witch is
    connected to my ISP.
    In the weekend, I will set eth0 to static, and tinker a little with the
    settings given me here.

    0 1:av...Norwegian. P=ON AV=OFF =)

    Sorry if I have been unclear in anything.

    All the best

    Roger

    --
    Mandriva Linux 2008.1 pwp (Linuxcounter #432950)

    MSI K8TM, 1,0 Gb Memory, AMD Sempron 3000+ CPU
    ATI Sapphire Radeon X1600
    Be against others the way
    you want to be treated yourself

  20. Re: Is this possible? Ad Hoc and Wifi?

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 23:50:56 +0200, Roger wrote:
    > Ok, thanks a lot for your time....both of you. I have just returned from
    > night-shift, and will try to explain a little.
    > My eth0 (on-board) is connected on the "backside" of the machine,
    > towards my wannabe private lan. The router there, a D-link dir-100 have
    > 192.165.0.1 as ip-adress. My Wifi-card (ath0) have 192.168.0.198 as
    > ip-adress and is connected to a wireless router,192.168.0.1 witch is
    > connected to my ISP.
    > In the weekend, I will set eth0 to static, and tinker a little with the
    > settings given me here.
    >
    > 0å 1:av...Norwegian. PÅ=ON AV=OFF =)
    >
    > Sorry if I have been unclear in anything.

    Question, is nodex going to use both wifi and eth0 or just eth0?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast