can't see networked printer - Mandriva

This is a discussion on can't see networked printer - Mandriva ; In the add printers utility in MCC in the tab printers "configured on other machines" i do not see my printer that is attached to the desktop, both desktop and the laptop use the use router, desktop uses the eth ...

  1. can't see networked printer

    In the add printers utility in MCC in the tab printers "configured on
    other machines" i do not see my printer that is attached to the
    desktop, both desktop and the laptop use the use router, desktop uses
    the eth on it, laptop uses the ath (wifi). yet the printer is not
    seen.

    ive tried adding the printer via ipp but still no avail (it only says
    connecting in the cups config page at localhost:631)

    if set the cups on laptop to use remote cups daemon, then after
    entering ok (after entering the ip) the cups says "setting default
    printer" and hangs.

    what do i do?

  2. Re: can't see networked printer

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 08:59:54 -0700 (PDT),
    Sindhu wrote:

    > In the add printers utility in MCC in the tab printers "configured on
    > other machines" i do not see my printer that is attached to the
    > desktop, both desktop and the laptop use the use router, desktop uses
    > the eth on it, laptop uses the ath (wifi). yet the printer is not
    > seen.
    >
    > ive tried adding the printer via ipp but still no avail (it only says
    > connecting in the cups config page at localhost:631)
    >
    > if set the cups on laptop to use remote cups daemon, then after
    > entering ok (after entering the ip) the cups says "setting default
    > printer" and hangs.
    >
    > what do i do?

    Have you checked the shorewall settings on the desktop, to ensure that
    port 631 is in fact open and not being blocked?

    HTH!

    --
    Bill Mullen
    RLU #270075

  3. Re: can't see networked printer

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 08:59:54 -0700, Sindhu wrote:

    > i do not see my printer that is attached to the desktop,

    I went through all this in January (see postings in here).

    The laptop's MCC couldn't see the desktop printer until I
    enabled CUPS in the desktop's firewall.

    (But you don't need CUPS running in the laptop for printing on
    desktop printer.)

    --
    /\/\aurice
    Linux Mandriva 2.6.22.19-desktop-2mdv 2008.0 PP 32-bit

  4. Re: can't see networked printer

    On Aug 11, 9:26*pm, Maurice Batey
    wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 08:59:54 -0700, Sindhu wrote:
    > > *i do not see my printer that is attached to the desktop,

    > I went through all this in January (see postings in here).
    >
    > The laptop's MCC couldn't see the desktop printer until I
    > enabled CUPS in the desktop's firewall.
    >
    > (But you don't need CUPS running in the laptop for printing on
    > desktop printer.)
    >
    > --
    > /\/\aurice
    > * * * * Linux Mandriva 2.6.22.19-desktop-2mdv 2008.0 PP 32-bit
    > * * * * * *KDE 3.5.7 * * * * *Virtualbox 1.5.6
    > (Remove 'removethis.' to reply by email)

    I went to mcc and stopped shorewall and even unchecked the "on boot"
    option both on desktop and laptop, still my laptop cant see the
    networked printer.

  5. Re: can't see networked printer

    On Tuesday 12 August 2008 03:01, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > On Aug 11, 9:26*pm, Maurice Batey
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 08:59:54 -0700, Sindhu wrote:

    >> > i do not see my printer that is attached to the desktop,

    >> I went through all this in January (see postings in here).
    >>
    >> The laptop's MCC couldn't see the desktop printer until I
    >> enabled CUPS in the desktop's firewall.
    >>
    >> (But you don't need CUPS running in the laptop for printing on
    >> desktop printer.)

    > I went to mcc and stopped shorewall and even unchecked the "on boot"
    > option both on desktop and laptop, still my laptop cant see the
    > networked printer.

    You should not stop /shorewall/ but rather issue a...

    /etc/init.d/shorewall clear

    .... to clear out the firewalling rules and free up your ports again.
    Stopping shorewall won't clear your ports, it merely stops the daemon from
    monitoring them.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  6. Re: can't see networked printer

    On Aug 12, 6:08*am, Aragorn wrote:
    > On Tuesday 12 August 2008 03:01, someone identifying as *Sindhu* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >

    > > On Aug 11, 9:26*pm, Maurice Batey
    > > wrote:

    > >> I went through all this in January (see postings in here).

    > >> The laptop's MCC couldn't see the desktop printer until I
    > >> enabled CUPS in the desktop's firewall.

    > >> (But you don't need CUPS running in the laptop for printing on
    > >> desktop printer.)

    > > I went to mcc and stopped shorewall and even unchecked the "on boot"
    > > option both on desktop and laptop, still my laptop cant see the
    > > networked printer.

    > You should not stop /shorewall/ but rather issue a...
    >
    > * * * * /etc/init.d/shorewall clear
    >
    > ... to clear out the firewalling rules and free up your ports again.
    > Stopping shorewall won't clear your ports, it merely stops the daemon from
    > monitoring them.
    >
    > --
    > *Aragorn*
    > (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)