A good FTP client? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on A good FTP client? - Mandriva ; I've suddenly found that my old favorite gFTP doesn't seem to be available in an RPM for Mandriva, and the tarball won't compile. What FTP client would any of you recommend for mandriva 2008.0? I prefer the GUI clients, for ...

  1. A good FTP client?

    I've suddenly found that my old favorite gFTP doesn't seem to be
    available in an RPM for Mandriva, and the tarball won't compile.

    What FTP client would any of you recommend for mandriva 2008.0?
    I prefer the GUI clients, for KDE.

  2. Re: A good FTP client?

    On Monday 11 August 2008 01:55, someone identifying as *none* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > I've suddenly found that my old favorite gFTP doesn't seem to be
    > available in an RPM for Mandriva, and the tarball won't compile.
    >
    > What FTP client would any of you recommend for mandriva 2008.0?
    > I prefer the GUI clients, for KDE.

    /KBear/ used to be part of the KDE suite, but /Konqueror/ itself can also
    handle /ftp,/ as well as /sftp./

    I myself always use /Konqueror/ as an /ftp/ client for downloading distro
    images. Your mileage... Well, you know... :-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: A good FTP client?

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 19:55:38 -0400, none "> <"<"<""Mark""@"> (none)> wrote:

    > I've suddenly found that my old favorite gFTP doesn't seem to be
    > available in an RPM for Mandriva, and the tarball won't compile.

    Do you have the contrib repository setup?

    # urpmi gftp

    ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/m....1/i586/media/
    contrib/release/gftp-2.0.18-9mdv2008.1.i586.rpm
    installing gftp-2.0.18-9mdv2008.1.i586.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: A good FTP client?

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Monday 11 August 2008 01:55, someone identifying as *none* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> I've suddenly found that my old favorite gFTP doesn't seem to be
    >> available in an RPM for Mandriva, and the tarball won't compile.
    >>
    >> What FTP client would any of you recommend for mandriva 2008.0?
    >> I prefer the GUI clients, for KDE.

    > /KBear/ used to be part of the KDE suite, but /Konqueror/ itself can
    > also handle /ftp,/ as well as /sftp./

    I had problems with kbear. I don't remember what they were, but they were
    serious.

    I'm stickin' with gFTP.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  5. Re: A good FTP client?

    On Monday 11 August 2008 09:00, someone identifying as *Blinky the Shark*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Monday 11 August 2008 01:55, someone identifying as *none* wrote
    >> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >>
    >>> I've suddenly found that my old favorite gFTP doesn't seem to be
    >>> available in an RPM for Mandriva, and the tarball won't compile.
    >>>
    >>> What FTP client would any of you recommend for mandriva 2008.0?
    >>> I prefer the GUI clients, for KDE.

    >> /KBear/ used to be part of the KDE suite, but /Konqueror/ itself can
    >> also handle /ftp,/ as well as /sftp./

    > I had problems with kbear. I don't remember what they were, but they were
    > serious.
    >
    > I'm stickin' with gFTP.

    Yeah, I had problems with /KBear/ as well - the site manager was acting up
    and didn't quite do what I wanted it to do - and I also preferred /gftp/
    for a while, but /Konqueror/ is just as good. :-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  6. Re: A good FTP client?

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Monday 11 August 2008 09:00, someone identifying as *Blinky the Shark*
    > wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> Aragorn wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Monday 11 August 2008 01:55, someone identifying as *none* wrote
    >>> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    >>> /KBear/ used to be part of the KDE suite, but /Konqueror/ itself can
    >>> also handle /ftp,/ as well as /sftp./

    >> I had problems with kbear. I don't remember what they were, but they were
    >> serious.
    >>
    >> I'm stickin' with gFTP.

    > Yeah, I had problems with /KBear/ as well - the site manager was acting up
    > and didn't quite do what I wanted it to do - and I also preferred /gftp/
    > for a while, but /Konqueror/ is just as good. :-)

    I think that was part of it, yeah. I think I also couldn't kill the damn
    thing. As if it was some kind of Microsoft App From Hell, it wouldn't
    completely unload. It even took some detective work to get it completely
    uninstalled when I finally lost patience with completely.

    I've never even looked at FTP with a browser. I'm not into browsers
    except for browsing. Similarly, I don't want my email client to do news
    or Freecell.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  7. Re: A good FTP client?

    none wrote:

    > I've suddenly found that my old favorite gFTP doesn't seem to be
    > available in an RPM for Mandriva, and the tarball won't compile.
    >
    > What FTP client would any of you recommend for mandriva 2008.0?
    > I prefer the GUI clients, for KDE.

    I am using gftp for 2008.0, works great.
    What compile errors do you get?
    Eric

  8. Re: A good FTP client?

    none wrote:
    > I've suddenly found that my old favorite gFTP doesn't seem to be
    > available in an RPM for Mandriva, and the tarball won't compile.
    >
    > What FTP client would any of you recommend for mandriva 2008.0?
    > I prefer the GUI clients, for KDE.

    Hello none,

    Konqueror.

    Use a duel window and edit or add or erase or drag and drop like magic.

    Keep smiling.

    Don.

  9. Re: A good FTP client?

    Eric wrote:
    > none wrote:
    >
    >> I've suddenly found that my old favorite gFTP doesn't seem to be
    >> available in an RPM for Mandriva, and the tarball won't compile.
    >>
    >> What FTP client would any of you recommend for mandriva 2008.0?
    >> I prefer the GUI clients, for KDE.

    > I am using gftp for 2008.0, works great.
    > What compile errors do you get?
    > Eric

    (MDV2007.1)Having followed this thread I just did # urpmi gftp ; which
    downloaded and installed the prog without problems.

    Frank

  10. Re: A good FTP client?

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Monday 11 August 2008 09:00, someone identifying as *Blinky the Shark*
    >> wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    >>> I had problems with kbear. I don't remember what they were, but they
    >>> were serious.
    >>>
    >>> I'm stickin' with gFTP.

    >> Yeah, I had problems with /KBear/ as well - the site manager was acting
    >> up and didn't quite do what I wanted it to do - and I also preferred
    >> /gftp/ for a while, but /Konqueror/ is just as good. :-)

    > I think that was part of it, yeah. I think I also couldn't kill the damn
    > thing. As if it was some kind of Microsoft App From Hell, it wouldn't
    > completely unload. It even took some detective work to get it completely
    > uninstalled when I finally lost patience with completely.
    >
    > I've never even looked at FTP with a browser. I'm not into browsers
    > except for browsing. Similarly, I don't want my email client to do news
    > or Freecell.

    kbear? Version 2.1.1, released November 22, 2003? With the main site
    saying : "Bugfix in CVS - 2005-10-22" only?

    Installed from source then or from another rpm provider, as it's not in
    Mandriva repository.

  11. Re: A good FTP client?

    On Monday 11 August 2008 09:15, someone identifying as *Blinky the Shark*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Monday 11 August 2008 09:00, someone identifying as *Blinky the Shark*
    >> wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >>
    >>> I had problems with kbear. I don't remember what they were, but they
    >>> were serious.
    >>>
    >>> I'm stickin' with gFTP.

    >> Yeah, I had problems with /KBear/ as well - the site manager was acting
    >> up and didn't quite do what I wanted it to do - and I also preferred
    >> /gftp/ for a while, but /Konqueror/ is just as good. :-)

    > I think that was part of it, yeah. I think I also couldn't kill the damn
    > thing.

    Exactly! I think it had some icon sitting in the system tray all the time,
    even if you had closed the window, or something. ;-)

    > As if it was some kind of Microsoft App From Hell, it wouldn't
    > completely unload. It even took some detective work to get it completely
    > uninstalled when I finally lost patience with completely.

    Same thing here. :-)

    > I've never even looked at FTP with a browser. I'm not into browsers
    > except for browsing. Similarly, I don't want my email client to do news
    > or Freecell.

    I hear you, but /Konqueror/ isn't just a browser. The /ftp/ and /sftp/ are
    just part of its capabilities, just like the Cervisia an WebDAV support.

    In a way, you could say that /Konqueror/ is the /Emacs/ of KDE. Well,
    except that it's much more userfriendly than (character mode) /Emacs/
    itself, of course.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  12. Re: A good FTP client?

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Monday 11 August 2008 09:15, someone identifying as *Blinky the Shark*
    > wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> Aragorn wrote:

    >>> Yeah, I had problems with /KBear/ as well - the site manager was acting
    >>> up and didn't quite do what I wanted it to do - and I also preferred
    >>> /gftp/ for a while, but /Konqueror/ is just as good. :-)

    >> I think that was part of it, yeah. I think I also couldn't kill the damn
    >> thing.

    > Exactly! I think it had some icon sitting in the system tray all the time,
    > even if you had closed the window, or something. ;-)

    That was part of that part, yeah.

    >> As if it was some kind of Microsoft App From Hell, it wouldn't
    >> completely unload. It even took some detective work to get it completely
    >> uninstalled when I finally lost patience with completely.

    > Same thing here. :-)

    So no more kBear for this shark.

    >> I've never even looked at FTP with a browser. I'm not into browsers
    >> except for browsing. Similarly, I don't want my email client to do news
    >> or Freecell.

    > I hear you, but /Konqueror/ isn't just a browser. The /ftp/ and /sftp/ are
    > just part of its capabilities, just like the Cervisia an WebDAV support.
    >
    > In a way, you could say that /Konqueror/ is the /Emacs/ of KDE. Well,
    > except that it's much more userfriendly than (character mode) /Emacs/
    > itself, of course.

    And I don't do emacs, either.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  13. Re: A good FTP client?

    Unruh wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark writes:
    >
    >> Aragorn wrote:

    >>> On Monday 11 August 2008 01:55, someone identifying as *none* wrote
    >>> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    >>> /KBear/ used to be part of the KDE suite, but /Konqueror/ itself can
    >>> also handle /ftp,/ as well as /sftp./

    >> I had problems with kbear. I don't remember what they were, but they were
    >> serious.

    >> I'm stickin' with gFTP.

    > /mandrake/2008.1/i586/media/contrib/release/gftp-2.0.18-9mdv2008.1.i586.rpm

    So - the gFTP for Mandriva 2008.1 will install without problems in
    2008.0? I'll try that.

  14. Re: A good FTP client?

    Blinky the Shark writes:

    >Aragorn wrote:

    >> On Monday 11 August 2008 01:55, someone identifying as *none* wrote
    >> in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >>
    >>> I've suddenly found that my old favorite gFTP doesn't seem to be
    >>> available in an RPM for Mandriva, and the tarball won't compile.
    >>>
    >>> What FTP client would any of you recommend for mandriva 2008.0?
    >>> I prefer the GUI clients, for KDE.

    >> /KBear/ used to be part of the KDE suite, but /Konqueror/ itself can
    >> also handle /ftp,/ as well as /sftp./

    >I had problems with kbear. I don't remember what they were, but they were
    >serious.

    >I'm stickin' with gFTP.

    /mandrake/2008.1/i586/media/contrib/release/gftp-2.0.18-9mdv2008.1.i586.rpm

  15. Re: A good FTP client?

    none <""Mark\"@(none)"> writes:

    >Unruh wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark writes:

    >>> I had problems with kbear. I don't remember what they were, but they were
    >>> serious.

    >>> I'm stickin' with gFTP.

    >> /mandrake/2008.1/i586/media/contrib/release/gftp-2.0.18-9mdv2008.1.i586.rpm
    >>

    >So - the gFTP for Mandriva 2008.1 will install without problems in
    >2008.0? I'll try that.

    For 2008.0 they had
    /mandrake/2008/i586/media/contrib/release/gftp-2.0.18-9mdv2007.1.i586.rpm
    which looks like the identical release, except for the name.

  16. Re: A good FTP client?

    none wrote:

    > I've suddenly found that my old favorite gFTP doesn't seem to be
    > available in an RPM for Mandriva, and the tarball won't compile.
    >
    > What FTP client would any of you recommend for mandriva 2008.0?
    > I prefer the GUI clients, for KDE.

    I seem to have ftp problems after a new Mandriva release, finding
    the 'improved' versions supplied with the latest release has become
    unfriendly.

    Currently I am using kftpgrabber. It seems OK.

    HTH, Alan Secker

  17. Re: A good FTP client?

    Unruh wrote:
    > none <""Mark\"@(none)"> writes:
    >
    >> Unruh wrote:

    >>> /mandrake/2008.1/i586/media/contrib/release/gftp-2.0.18-9mdv2008.1.i586.rpm
    >>>

    >> So - the gFTP for Mandriva 2008.1 will install without problems in
    >> 2008.0? I'll try that.

    > For 2008.0 they had
    > /mandrake/2008/i586/media/contrib/release/gftp-2.0.18-9mdv2007.1.i586.rpm
    > which looks like the identical release, except for the name.

    For some unknown reason, that choice was not included under "install and
    remove software" here. Nonetheless, I attempted to install the version
    of gFTP listed for Mandriva 2008.1 and found that it works very well.
    I can now access my little 5MB webspace again, and all is well with the
    world.

+ Reply to Thread