mail problems - Mandriva

This is a discussion on mail problems - Mandriva ; Hi, I'm looking for a "very simple" no frills explanation of what is needed to have postfix send me emails from stuff like crontab etc. Shouldnt this just work out of the box on a fresh mandriva install? Besides postfix ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

  1. mail problems

    Hi,
    I'm looking for a "very simple" no frills explanation of what is needed to
    have postfix send me emails from stuff like crontab etc. Shouldnt this
    just work out of the box on a fresh mandriva install? Besides postfix what
    else do i need to install? I just want to get my and root's crontab emails
    and to be able to use mutt to send a few scripted emails to myself at work
    via my ISP. I thought i was missing a pop3 daemon so i tried installing
    courier-imap and that didnt work, so i uninstalled it and tried
    cyrus-imapd - well, that doesnt work either
    My raid-0 crashed so, I'm rebuilding, this mail thing is always a PITA big
    time.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Eric

  2. Re: mail problems

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 15:02:59 -0700, Eric wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm looking for a "very simple" no frills explanation of what is needed to
    > have postfix send me emails from stuff like crontab etc. Shouldnt this
    > just work out of the box on a fresh mandriva install?

    Depends on what you load, out of the box. Works for me.

    > Besides postfix what else do i need to install?

    Nothing so far, just fix aliases.

    > I just want to get my and root's crontab emails

    I will assume you have changed this line in /etc/postfix/aliases
    tail -11 /etc/postfix/aliases

    # Person who should get root's mail. This alias
    # must exist.
    # CHANGE THIS LINE to an account of a HUMAN
    root: postfix <===================== # change to eric

    # Note to the user: You must create the alias above!
    # The root alias *must* exist under postfix because
    # postfix runs as a non-privileged user and cannot
    # touch a spool file which is UID/GID root
    # The mapping to the postfix user is to ensure that root's mail
    # doesn't get lost on a system installed out of the box.

    and did a
    postalias aliases
    service postfix restart

    Verified no problems are in /var/log/mail/* files.

    > and to be able to use mutt to send a few scripted emails to myself at work
    > via my ISP.

    For that, I will recommend a Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) for
    your system and have installed the imap package.

    Example FQDN, nome@email.net. Here the DOMAIN name is email.net.
    I hope you have an account at email.net. If not, you are abusing
    email.net by using none as a user at email.net.
    If you are not none at email.net, I suggest you change it
    to eric@whatever.invalid or something else .invalid.

    I can recommend a Domain name of whatever.invalid or whatever.test.

    Create your node name, say darkstar, and add your domain, say andromada,
    for a FQDN of darkstar.andromada.invalid

    Put your FQDN in /etc/sysconfig/network and in /etc/hosts
    Examples follows:

    cat /etc/sysconfig/network
    NETWORKING_IPV6=no
    NOZEROCONF=yes
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no
    HOSTNAME=wm81.home.test <==============
    NETWORKING=yes

    $ grep $(hostname) /etc/hosts
    192.168.1.131 wm81.home.test wm81 <==============

    Anytime I change the node name, I reboot to make sure all
    daemons/services get the new node name.

    Now, since darkstar is using an unregistered domain, andromada.invalid,
    you will want to modify /etc/main.cf to use the generic table and your
    ISP's MTA, accept mail from your domain and LAN ip, and I suggest the use
    of a virtual, canonical_sender and generic database file.

    You use the virtual file for local email, and generic to switch
    out the LAN names to your real email addresses.
    canonical_sender to munge the email header.

    Example generic lines:
    bittwister@wm81.home.test flowerpot@verizon.net
    yahoo@wm81.home.test flowerpot@yahoo.com

    Example virtual line
    bittwister bittwister@wm81.home.test

    You generate the database files with
    postmap generic
    postmap virtual

    My work's MTA, and more and more MTA's will reject any email when the
    sender's email address was unverifiable. So I created canonical_sender
    to munge the email header to a vaild email address.

    Example canonical_sender lines
    bittwister@wm81.home.test flowerpot@verizon.net
    yahoo@wm81.home.test flowerpot@yahoo.com

    Be sure to generate the database files with
    postmap canonical_sender

    You will need to change mynetworks, relayhost to match your LAN and
    ISP MTA. My ISP requires an ID and Password login to send mail so I
    created smtp_auth file to hold login and password.

    Example main.cf:

    #*************************************************
    # my changes appened to main.cf for my LAN nodes

    masquerade_exceptions = root
    mydestination = $myhostname localhost.$mydomain localhost $mydomain
    mynetworks = 192.168.1.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8
    relayhost = SMTP.verizon.net
    relay_domains =
    inet_interfaces = all
    unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
    smtp_host_lookup = dns, native

    # local box users, and to generate database file
    # postmap virtual <----- builds virtual.db file

    # Sending: swap out email addresses that appear inside header (from
    # canonical_sender was created by
    # cp canonical canonical_sender
    # added a line like
    # bittwister@wm81.home.test my_addy@verizon.net
    # postmap canonical_sender <----- builds canonical_sender.db file
    sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical_sender

    # Sending: swap out email addresses that appear inside messages (From
    # added a line like
    # bittwister@mynode.home.test my_addy@verizon.net
    # postmap generic <----- builds generic.db file
    smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic

    # IF relayhost needs plain text isp MTA idw login for sending mail
    # added a line like
    # smtp.isp.com loginw
    #
    # postmap smtp_auth <----- builds smtp_auth.db file
    #
    smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
    smtp_sasl_security_options =
    smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/smtp_auth

    #********************** end main.cf ********************

    With the above setup, I can send email from user yahoo@wm81.home.test
    and postfix will munge the header to indicate it came from
    flowerpot@yahoo.com.

    I can do a mail -s "local testshot" bittwister < /dev/null
    and bittwister get email.

    I have a yahoo cron job which runs fetchyahoo to pull email from
    my flowerpot account at yahoo.com and queues it for reading by
    yahoo@wm81.home.test

    For my hotmail account, I use getlive to do the same thing.

    Sure hope no one really uses flowerpot as an email name.
    I know I do not use it.
    If so, sorry if you start getting spam. :-(

    http://fetchyahoo.sourceforge.net/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/getlive/

  3. Re: mail problems

    Bit Twister wrote:

> [...]

    > #
    > smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
    > smtp_sasl_security_options =
    > smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/smtp_auth
    >

    > #********************** end main.cf ********************
    >

    > With the above setup, I can send email from user yahoo@wm81.home.test
    > and postfix will munge the header to indicate it came from
    > flowerpot@yahoo.com.
    >
    > I can do a mail -s "local testshot" bittwister < /dev/null
    > and bittwister get email.
    >

    > I have a yahoo cron job which runs fetchyahoo to pull email from
    > my flowerpot account at yahoo.com and queues it for reading by
    > yahoo@wm81.home.test
    >
    > For my hotmail account, I use getlive to do the same thing.
    >
    > Sure hope no one really uses flowerpot as an email name.
    > I know I do not use it.
    > If so, sorry if you start getting spam. :-(

    Yes, i did change the aliases.
    At the moment, i can talk to postfix on ports 25 and 110 via telnet ok
    but when i try to connect using thunderbird, i get prompted for a password,
    but its always rejected.
    Eric

  4. Re: mail problems

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 01:07:50 -0700, Eric wrote:
    > Yes, i did change the aliases.
    > At the moment, i can talk to postfix on ports 25 and 110 via telnet ok
    > but when i try to connect using thunderbird, i get prompted for a password,
    > but its always rejected.

    Well, first thing to do is to prove mail works. Send just a subject in an
    email to yourself from the command line, and verify it can be read.

    $ mail -s "test shot" eric < /dev/null

    $ mail
    (carriage return)

    I assume you did a
    # service postfix restart
    after creating database files and verified there are no
    messages in /var/log/mail/errors and warnings.

    I assume xinetd is running and ipop3 is enabled. chkconfig snippet follows:

    $ chkconfig --list

    xinetd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff

    xinetd based services:
    ipop3: on

  5. Re: mail problems

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 23:43:25 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:

    > Now, since darkstar is using an unregistered domain, andromada.invalid,
    > you will want to modify /etc/main.cf to use the generic table and your
    > ISP's MTA, accept mail from your domain and LAN ip, and I suggest the use
    > of a virtual, canonical_sender and generic database file.

    After playing around, I found out that virtual andcanonical_sender
    database files are not required.

    Just generic to munge your address for any email which leaves your system.

    > Example generic lines:
    > bittwister@wm81.home.test flowerpot@verizon.net
    > yahoo@wm81.home.test flowerpot@yahoo.com
    >
    > You generate the database file with
    > postmap generic

    > My work's MTA, and more and more MTA's will reject any email when the
    > sender's email address was unverifiable. So I created canonical_sender
    > to munge the email header to a vaild email address.

    the generic file munges both from: and From: fields for you.

    > Example main.cf:
    >

    > #*************************************************
    > # my changes appened to main.cf for my LAN nodes
    >
    > default_destination_concurrency_limit = 1
    >
    > masquerade_exceptions = root
    > mydestination = $myhostname localhost.$mydomain localhost $mydomain
    > mynetworks = 192.168.1.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8
    > relayhost = SMTP.verizon.net
    > relay_domains =
    > inet_interfaces = all
    > smtp_host_lookup = dns, native
    >
    > # Sending: swap out email addresses that appear inside messages (From
    > # added a line like
    > # bittwister@mynode.home.test my_addy@verizon.net
    > # postmap generic <----- builds generic.db file
    > smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
    >

    > # IF relayhost needs plain text isp MTA idw login for sending mail
    > # added a line like
    > # smtp.isp.com loginw
    > #
    > # postmap smtp_auth <----- builds smtp_auth.db file
    > #
    > smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
    > smtp_sasl_security_options =
    > smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/smtp_auth
    >

    > #********************** end main.cf ********************

  6. Re: mail problems

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 01:07:50 -0700, Eric wrote:
    >> Yes, i did change the aliases.
    >> At the moment, i can talk to postfix on ports 25 and 110 via telnet ok
    >> but when i try to connect using thunderbird, i get prompted for a
    >> password, but its always rejected.

    > Well, first thing to do is to prove mail works. Send just a subject in an
    > email to yourself from the command line, and verify it can be read.
    >
    > $ mail -s "test shot" eric < /dev/null
    >
    > $ mail
    > (carriage return)
    >
    > I assume you did a
    > # service postfix restart
    > after creating database files and verified there are no
    > messages in /var/log/mail/errors and warnings.
    >
    > I assume xinetd is running and ipop3 is enabled. chkconfig snippet
    > follows:
    >
    > $ chkconfig --list
    >
    > xinetd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    >
    > xinetd based services:
    > ipop3: on

    trying to send myself mail via mail or mailx results in:
    "/usr/sbin/sendmail: No such file or directory"
    I dont see any xinetd at all in the list from chkconfig, no pop3 either.
    What rpm do i install to get pop3?
    # chkconfig --list
    acpid 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    alsa 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    atd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    avahi-daemon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4ff 5n 6ff
    crond 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    dm 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5n 6ff
    fuse 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    haldaemon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    harddrake 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    iptables 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    keytable 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    kheader 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4ff 5n 6ff
    ksysguard 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    lisa 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    lm_sensors 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    mandi 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    messagebus 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    netconsole 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    netfs 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    network 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    network-up 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    ntpd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    numlock 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    partmon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    resolvconf 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    shorewall 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    sound 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    sshd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    syslog 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff

  7. Re: mail problems

    btw: i should state that this is a fresh install of 2008.1 (spring) free
    x86_64 (mandriva-linux-free-2008-spring-dvd-x86_64.iso)
    I'm real tempted to go buy the power pack and reformat, but in any case, i
    need to understand how to address and fix this issue.
    Thanks
    Eric

  8. Re: mail problems

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 01:38:09 -0400, Eric wrote:

    > btw: i should state that this is a fresh install of 2008.1 (spring) free
    > x86_64 (mandriva-linux-free-2008-spring-dvd-x86_64.iso)
    > I'm real tempted to go buy the power pack and reformat, but in any case, i
    > need to understand how to address and fix this issue.

    As far as I know, the power pack edition does not include any software that
    you cannot get by downloading.

    From what I've read in this thread, it appears you have postfix set up ok,
    but don't have a pop3 server running. Try running "urpmi imap", which should
    install a pop3 xinetd server. After installing it, check /etc/xinet.d/pop3s to
    ensure the disable option is set to no. Then, either reboot, or run
    "service pop3s start"

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  9. Re: mail problems

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 01:21:44 -0400, Eric wrote:

    > trying to send myself mail via mail or mailx results in:
    > "/usr/sbin/sendmail: No such file or directory"
    > I dont see any xinetd at all in the list from chkconfig, no pop3 either.

    Please ignore my previous reply, and run the following commands ...

    su -l root
    urpme postfix
    urpmi postfix
    urpme xinetd
    urpmi xinetd
    urpme imap
    urpmi imap
    service xinetd start
    service pop3s start

    Then try the mail test again.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: mail problems

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 01:21:44 -0400, Eric wrote:
    >
    >> trying to send myself mail via mail or mailx results in:
    >> "/usr/sbin/sendmail: No such file or directory"
    >> I dont see any xinetd at all in the list from chkconfig, no pop3 either.

    > Please ignore my previous reply, and run the following commands ...
    >
    > su -l root
    > urpme postfix
    > urpmi postfix
    > urpme xinetd
    > urpmi xinetd
    > urpme imap
    > urpmi imap
    > service xinetd start
    > service pop3s start
    >
    > Then try the mail test again.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    postfix is installed, so i skipped the urpme/urpmi for that
    maybe i have the wrong media sources installed? no pop3s
    see below:
    [root@]# urpme xinetd
    unknown package: xinetd
    [root@]# urpmi xinetd

    installing xinetd-2.3.14-8mdv2008.1.x86_64.rpm
    from /media/cdrom/x86_64/media/main
    Preparing...
    1/1: xinetd
    [root@erb1 erbenton]# urpme imap
    unknown package: imap
    [root@]# urpmi imap
    To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed:
    Package Version Release Arch
    (medium "Mandriva Linux - 2008.1 (Free64) - Installer")
    cyrus-imapd 2.3.11 6mdv2008.1 x86_64
    (medium "Main Updates (Official2008.1-1)")
    lib64net-snmp15 5.4.1 5.1mdv2008.1 x86_64
    net-snmp-mibs 5.4.1 5.1mdv2008.1 x86_64
    32MB of additional disk space will be used.
    11MB of packages will be retrieved.
    Proceed with the installation of the 3 packages? (Y/n)

    ftp://ftp.uwsg.indiana.edu/linux/man...8.1.x86_64.rpm

    ftp://ftp.uwsg.indiana.edu/linux/man...8.1.x86_64.rpm
    installing /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/net-snmp-mibs-5.4.1-5.1mdv2008.1.x86_64.rpm
    /media/cdrom/x86_64/media/main/cyrus-imapd-2.3.11-6mdv2008.1.x86_64.rpm
    /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/lib64net-snmp15-5.4.1-5.1mdv2008.1.x86_64.rpm
    Preparing...
    1/3: lib64net-snmp15
    2/3: net-snmp-mibs
    3/3: cyrus-imapd
    Generating a 1024 bit RSA private key
    .....++++++
    .................++++++
    writing new private key to '/etc/ssl/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem'
    -----
    1024 semi-random bytes loaded
    Generating DH parameters, 512 bit long safe prime, generator 2
    This is going to take a long time
    ..........................+......+..............+. ......
    +....................+..........................
    +............................................+....
    +........................
    +................................................. ........+.....
    +................................................. ....................
    +...
    +................................................. ...............................
    +.................................+............... ...........+............
    +.................+............................... +....
    +.........................+..++*++*++*++*++*++*
    [root@]# service xinetd start
    Starting xinetd [ OK ]
    [root@]# service pop3s start
    Cannot find pop3s service
    Usage: service -[Rfshv] SERVICE ARGUMENTS
    -f|--full-restart: Do a fullrestart of the service.
    -R|--full-restart-all: Do a fullrestart of all running services.
    -s|--status-all: Print a status of all services.
    -d|--debug: Launch with debug.
    -h|--help: This help.
    [root@]#

  11. Re: mail problems

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 02:49:45 -0400, Eric wrote:

    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 01:21:44 -0400, Eric wrote:
    >>
    >>> trying to send myself mail via mail or mailx results in:
    >>> "/usr/sbin/sendmail: No such file or directory"
    >>> I dont see any xinetd at all in the list from chkconfig, no pop3 either.

    > postfix is installed, so i skipped the urpme/urpmi for that

    Are you sure?

    Something is messed up.

    dave@hodgins log]$ ll /usr/sbin/sendmail
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 2008-05-10 21:19 /usr/sbin/sendmail -> ../../etc/alternatives/sendmail-command*

    dave@hodgins log]$ ll /etc/alternatives/sendmail-command
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 2008-05-15 17:57 /etc/alternatives/sendmail-command -> ../../usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix*

    dave@hodgins log]$ ll /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23208 2008-03-26 07:55 /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix*

    [dave@hodgins log]$ rpm -q -f /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
    postfix-2.5.1-2mdv2008.1

    Note: I've used the symlinks command here, so the number of ../ in the symlinks may
    be different on your system.

    As for the pop3s not found, try running "chkconfig pop3s on", followed by the start
    command.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  12. Re: mail problems

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:38:09 -0700, Eric wrote:
    > btw: i should state that this is a fresh install of 2008.1 (spring) free
    > x86_64 (mandriva-linux-free-2008-spring-dvd-x86_64.iso)
    > I'm real tempted to go buy the power pack and reformat, but in any case, i
    > need to understand how to address and fix this issue.

    Note: When you install daemon/service packages, they may not be set
    to run on boot, let alone start up upon installation.

    Remember to check/modify aliases after that urpme/urpmi activity.
    Do not forget to run "postalias aliases"

    All I do on an install is pick all package groups except LSB, both
    Gnome, KDE and extra packages.

    After setting mirrors, getting updates, I install imap, append my
    stuff to main.cf, generate generic, aliases and my smtp_auth db file.

    I get into Mandriva Control Center, System and verify services are set
    for what I want to run.

    With no change to main.cf and imap package installed, postalias aliases
    service postfix restart, should allow you to do a
    mail -s "test shot" eric < /dev/null
    mail
    (cr)

    I have not seen the RSA key stuff being generated that I saw in
    another reply you made.

    Default ipop3 is set to run on demand, I think you ran chkconfig to
    enable it on boot. That means you have both running. Not good.

    I am running the 32 bit free install on a 64 system.

    Note: you can click up a terminal in eric's login,
    su - root
    mcc

    To check system services.

  13. Re: mail problems

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 02:49:45 -0400, Eric wrote:
    >
    >> David W. Hodgins wrote:

    >> postfix is installed, so i skipped the urpme/urpmi for that

    > Are you sure?
    >
    > Something is messed up.
    >
    > dave@hodgins log]$ ll /usr/sbin/sendmail
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 2008-05-10 21:19 /usr/sbin/sendmail ->
    > ../../etc/alternatives/sendmail-command*
    >
    > dave@hodgins log]$ ll /etc/alternatives/sendmail-command
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 2008-05-15 17:57
    > /etc/alternatives/sendmail-command -> ../../usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix*
    >
    > dave@hodgins log]$ ll /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23208 2008-03-26 07:55 /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix*
    >
    > [dave@hodgins log]$ rpm -q -f /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
    > postfix-2.5.1-2mdv2008.1
    >
    > Note: I've used the symlinks command here, so the number of ../ in the
    > symlinks may be different on your system.
    >
    > As for the pop3s not found, try running "chkconfig pop3s on", followed by
    > the start command.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    ok, all the links are there (i messed up before) except the last command:
    # chkconfig --list|grep pop

    # ll /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23696 2008-03-26 04:56 /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix*
    # rpm -q -f */usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
    error: file /etc/postfix/*/usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix: No such file or
    directory
    when i did a urpmi imap i got cyrus-imapd, is that correct?
    There is still no pop3
    I can telnet to postfix on port 25 but port 110 is refused
    Eric

  14. Re: mail problems

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:38:09 -0700, Eric wrote:
    >> btw: i should state that this is a fresh install of 2008.1 (spring) free
    >> x86_64 (mandriva-linux-free-2008-spring-dvd-x86_64.iso)
    >> I'm real tempted to go buy the power pack and reformat, but in any case,
    >> i need to understand how to address and fix this issue.

    > Note: When you install daemon/service packages, they may not be set
    > to run on boot, let alone start up upon installation.
    >
    > Remember to check/modify aliases after that urpme/urpmi activity.
    > Do not forget to run "postalias aliases"
    >

    > All I do on an install is pick all package groups except LSB, both
    > Gnome, KDE and extra packages.
    >
    > After setting mirrors, getting updates, I install imap, append my
    > stuff to main.cf, generate generic, aliases and my smtp_auth db file.
    >
    > I get into Mandriva Control Center, System and verify services are set
    > for what I want to run.
    >
    > With no change to main.cf and imap package installed, postalias aliases
    > service postfix restart, should allow you to do a
    > mail -s "test shot" eric < /dev/null
    > mail
    > (cr)
    >

    > I have not seen the RSA key stuff being generated that I saw in
    > another reply you made.
    >
    > Default ipop3 is set to run on demand, I think you ran chkconfig to
    > enable it on boot. That means you have both running. Not good.
    >
    > I am running the 32 bit free install on a 64 system.
    >
    > Note: you can click up a terminal in eric's login,
    > su - root
    > mcc
    >
    > To check system services.

    The problem i think is that there is no pop3 daemon. in MCC if i search for
    pop nothing comes up at all, and for imap only cyrsu-imapd is avaialbe
    I'm wondering if my media sources are incorrect? shouldnt i see more choices
    for imap and at least one for pop?
    Thanks
    Eric

  15. Re: mail problems

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 01:10:41 -0700, Eric wrote:
    > when i did a urpmi imap i got cyrus-imapd, is that correct?
    > There is still no pop3

    Contents of my 32 bit imap package as seen in Mandriva Control Center

    /etc/c-client.cf
    /etc/pam.d/imap
    /etc/pam.d/pop
    /etc/ssl/imap
    /etc/ssl/imap/Makefile.imap
    /etc/ssl/imap/imapsd.pem
    /etc/ssl/imap/ipop3sd.pem
    /etc/xinetd.d/imap
    /etc/xinetd.d/imaps
    /etc/xinetd.d/ipop2
    /etc/xinetd.d/ipop3
    /etc/xinetd.d/pop3s
    /usr/sbin/imapd
    /usr/sbin/imapsd
    /usr/sbin/ipop2d
    /usr/sbin/ipop3d
    /usr/sbin/ipop3sd
    /usr/share/doc/imap
    /usr/share/doc/imap/BUILD

    /usr/share/man/man8/imapd.8.lzma
    /usr/share/man/man8/ipopd.8.lzma
    /var/lib/imap
    /var/lib/imap/ssl/Makefile.imap

  16. Re: mail problems

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 01:15:21 -0700, Eric wrote:

    > The problem i think is that there is no pop3 daemon.

    Looking in /etc/init.d NO

    acpid dm kheader netfs privoxy ucarp
    alsa functions killall network proftpd vboxdrv
    atd fuse ksysguard network-up resolvconf vboxnet
    atieventsd haldaemon lisa nfs-common shorewall webmin
    avahi-daemon halt mandi nfs-server single xinetd
    coherence harddrake mandrake_everytime ntpd smartd
    crond httpd mandrake_firstime numlock smb
    ct_sync iptables messagebus partmon sound
    cups jexec named portmap sshd
    dkms keytable netconsole postfix syslog

    > in MCC if i search for
    > pop nothing comes up at all, and for imap only cyrsu-imapd is avaialbe
    > I'm wondering if my media sources are incorrect? shouldnt i see more choices
    > for imap and at least one for pop?

    imap is the package which creates

    # cd /etc/xinetd.d
    # ls snippet follows:

    imap imaps ipop2 ipop3 pop3s

    # cat ipop3
    # default: on
    # using an POP3 client such as Netscape Communicator, mutt, \
    # or fetchmail.
    service pop3
    {
    socket_type = stream
    wait = no
    user = root
    server = /usr/sbin/ipop3d
    }

  17. Re: mail problems

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 01:10:41 -0700, Eric wrote:
    >> when i did a urpmi imap i got cyrus-imapd, is that correct?
    >> There is still no pop3

    > Contents of my 32 bit imap package as seen in Mandriva Control Center
    >
    > /etc/c-client.cf
    > /etc/pam.d/imap
    > /etc/pam.d/pop
    > /etc/ssl/imap
    > /etc/ssl/imap/Makefile.imap
    > /etc/ssl/imap/imapsd.pem
    > /etc/ssl/imap/ipop3sd.pem
    > /etc/xinetd.d/imap
    > /etc/xinetd.d/imaps
    > /etc/xinetd.d/ipop2
    > /etc/xinetd.d/ipop3
    > /etc/xinetd.d/pop3s
    > /usr/sbin/imapd
    > /usr/sbin/imapsd
    > /usr/sbin/ipop2d
    > /usr/sbin/ipop3d
    > /usr/sbin/ipop3sd
    > /usr/share/doc/imap
    > /usr/share/doc/imap/BUILD
    >

    > /usr/share/man/man8/imapd.8.lzma
    > /usr/share/man/man8/ipopd.8.lzma
    > /var/lib/imap
    > /var/lib/imap/ssl/Makefile.imap

    What imap did you install? My only choice in mcc is cyrus-imap
    Something is really screwed up here. under /etc xinetd.d i only have rsync
    and sshd.

  18. Re: mail problems

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 01:31:11 -0700, Eric wrote:

    > What imap did you install?

    I have a new_install script for a new/clean install:

    $ grep imap *install*
    new_install:urpmi --wget imap --auto

  19. Re: mail problems

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 01:31:11 -0700, Eric wrote:

    > What imap did you install? My only choice in mcc is cyrus-imap
    > Something is really screwed up here. under /etc xinetd.d i only have rsync
    > and sshd.

    I just went and looked in my 2008.1 64 bit install and I have
    $ mount /20081_64
    $ cd /20081_64/etc/xinetd.d
    $ ls
    cvs imap imaps ipop2 ipop3 ntalk pop3s proftpd-xinetd rsync
    sshd-xinetd talk

    Which was a urpmi --wget imap --auto

  20. Re: mail problems

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 01:31:11 -0700, Eric wrote:
    >
    >> What imap did you install?

    > I have a new_install script for a new/clean install:
    >
    > $ grep imap *install*
    > new_install:urpmi --wget imap --auto

    you lost me, are you saying you have a file in your home directory listing
    packages that were installed? I dont.
    Can you tell me the name of the imap rpm you installed?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast