mail problems - Mandriva

This is a discussion on mail problems - Mandriva ; Bit Twister wrote: > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 01:15:21 -0700, Eric wrote: > >> The problem i think is that there is no pop3 daemon. > > Looking in /etc/init.d NO > > acpid dm kheader netfs privoxy ucarp ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33

  1. Re: mail problems

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 01:15:21 -0700, Eric wrote:
    >
    >> The problem i think is that there is no pop3 daemon.

    > Looking in /etc/init.d NO
    >
    > acpid dm kheader netfs privoxy ucarp
    > alsa functions killall network proftpd
    > vboxdrv
    > atd fuse ksysguard network-up resolvconf
    > vboxnet
    > atieventsd haldaemon lisa nfs-common shorewall
    > webmin
    > avahi-daemon halt mandi nfs-server single
    > xinetd
    > coherence harddrake mandrake_everytime ntpd smartd
    > crond httpd mandrake_firstime numlock smb
    > ct_sync iptables messagebus partmon sound
    > cups jexec named portmap sshd
    > dkms keytable netconsole postfix syslog
    >

    >> in MCC if i search for
    >> pop nothing comes up at all, and for imap only cyrsu-imapd is avaialbe
    >> I'm wondering if my media sources are incorrect? shouldnt i see more
    >> choices for imap and at least one for pop?

    > imap is the package which creates
    >
    > # cd /etc/xinetd.d
    > # ls snippet follows:
    >
    > imap imaps ipop2 ipop3 pop3s
    >
    > # cat ipop3
    > # default: on
    > # using an POP3 client such as Netscape Communicator, mutt, \
    > # or fetchmail.
    > service pop3
    > {
    > socket_type = stream
    > wait = no
    > user = root
    > server = /usr/sbin/ipop3d
    > }

    ls /etc/init.d/
    acpid* fuse* ksysguard* netfs* shorewall*
    alsa* haldaemon* lisa* network* single*
    atd* halt* lm_sensors* network-up* sound*
    avahi-daemon* harddrake* mandi* ntpd* sshd*
    crond* iptables* mandrake_everytime* numlock* syslog*
    cyrus-imapd* keytable* mandrake_firstime* partmon* xinetd*
    dm* kheader* messagebus* postfix*
    functions killall* netconsole* resolvconf*

    ls /etc/xinetd.d
    rsync sshd-xinetd

    cat /etc/xinetd.conf
    #
    # Simple configuration file for xinetd
    #
    # Some defaults, and include /etc/xinetd.d/

    defaults
    {
    instances = 60
    log_type = SYSLOG authpriv
    log_on_success = HOST PID
    log_on_failure = HOST
    cps = 25 30
    }

  2. Re: mail problems

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 01:48:41 -0700, Eric wrote:

    > you lost me, are you saying you have a file in your home directory listing
    > packages that were installed?

    I always do a clean install. To make life easy I created scripts
    to install the extra packages that do not come by checking package
    groups during install.

    > Can you tell me the name of the imap rpm you installed?

    Generci package name is imap.

    Looking around in my mirror indexes, it can be found on a "main" mirror
    imap-2006k-1mdv2008.1.x86_64.rpm 3148341 Apr 03 20:02

    Command to install it is
    urpmi --wget imap --auto

  3. Re: mail problems

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 01:48:41 -0700, Eric wrote:
    >

    >> you lost me, are you saying you have a file in your home directory
    >> listing packages that were installed?

    > I always do a clean install. To make life easy I created scripts
    > to install the extra packages that do not come by checking package
    > groups during install.
    >
    >> Can you tell me the name of the imap rpm you installed?

    > Generci package name is imap.
    >
    > Looking around in my mirror indexes, it can be found on a "main" mirror
    > imap-2006k-1mdv2008.1.x86_64.rpm 3148341 Apr 03 20:02
    >

    > Command to install it is
    > urpmi --wget imap --auto

    # urpmi --wget imap --auto
    Package cyrus-imapd-2.3.11-6mdv2008.1.x86_64 is already installed

    I think i need to do a reformat/re-install.... something is butchered. I
    also found that only half of the gcc package was installed. I fixed that
    one. telnet was missing, fixed it, ssh was there but not sshd, fixed that
    too, thunderbird was missing, (i distinctly remember seeing it during the
    install), gkrellm etc etc, and on it goes.
    I really think my whole problem with postfix is that the wrong imap package
    is installed and it has no pop3 daemon, mcc doesnt have one to offer either
    with the current media sources it is using. I may try going to easy urpmi
    and installing some new sources and see what cooks.

  4. Re: mail problems

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 02:04:30 -0700, Eric wrote:

    > I think i need to do a reformat/re-install.... something is butchered.

    Just after install, do set the mirrors, unset (backports, testing)*
    and install any rpm updates.

    Looking in my install script, first thing after disabling
    backports/testing mirrors is:

    #******************************************
    #* get any rpm updates first
    #******************************************

    urpmi --wget meta-task --auto
    urpmi --wget wget --auto
    urpmi --wget rpm --auto
    urpmi --wget perl-URPM --auto
    urpmi --wget urpmi --auto
    urpmi --wget rpmdrake --auto
    urpmi --wget rpm-helper --auto

    to guarantee rpm is updated first.

    Then install updates:
    urpmi --wget --auto-select --auto

    Then install extra packages.

  5. Re: mail problems

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 02:04:30 -0700, Eric wrote:
    >
    >> I think i need to do a reformat/re-install.... something is butchered.

    > Just after install, do set the mirrors, unset (backports, testing)*
    > and install any rpm updates.
    >
    > Looking in my install script, first thing after disabling
    > backports/testing mirrors is:
    >
    > #******************************************
    > #* get any rpm updates first
    > #******************************************
    >
    > urpmi --wget meta-task --auto
    > urpmi --wget wget --auto
    > urpmi --wget rpm --auto
    > urpmi --wget perl-URPM --auto
    > urpmi --wget urpmi --auto
    > urpmi --wget rpmdrake --auto
    > urpmi --wget rpm-helper --auto
    >
    > to guarantee rpm is updated first.
    >
    > Then install updates:
    > urpmi --wget --auto-select --auto
    >
    > Then install extra packages.

    ok, now i have my mail working. I removed that cyrus-imapd and downloaded a
    simple pop3d daemon, compiled it added it to xinted restarted postfix and
    voila! I forgot i put an echo statement in crontab to test and i
    immediately received about 900 mails, but thats a good thing :-)
    Eric

  6. Re: mail problems

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 04:48:41 -0400, Eric wrote:

    > Can you tell me the name of the imap rpm you installed?

    Do you have the main repository configured? cyrus-imapd is on my 2008.1 x86
    installer dvd, while imap is only in the online main repository ...

    $ grep imap /var/lib/urpmi/name*
    /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main (Official2008.1-1):imap-utils
    /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main (Official2008.1-1):imap
    /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main (Official2008.1-1):imap-devel
    /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main (Official2008.1-1):cyrus-imapd-utils
    /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main (Official2008.1-1):cyrus-imapd-devel
    /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main (Official2008.1-1):cyrus-imapd
    /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main (Official2008.1-1):cyrus-imapd-murder
    /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main (Official2008.1-1):cyrus-imapd-nntp
    /var/lib/urpmi/names.Mandriva Linux - 2008.1 (Free) - Installer:cyrus-imapd-utils
    /var/lib/urpmi/names.Mandriva Linux - 2008.1 (Free) - Installerhp-imap
    /var/lib/urpmi/names.Mandriva Linux - 2008.1 (Free) - Installer:cyrus-imapd-murder
    /var/lib/urpmi/names.Mandriva Linux - 2008.1 (Free) - Installer:cyrus-imapd-devel
    /var/lib/urpmi/names.Mandriva Linux - 2008.1 (Free) - Installer:cyrus-imapd
    (some lines snipped, from above).

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: mail problems

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:13:33 -0700, Eric wrote:

    > ok, now i have my mail working. I removed that cyrus-imapd and downloaded a
    > simple pop3d daemon, compiled it added it to xinted restarted postfix and
    > voila! I forgot i put an echo statement in crontab to test and i
    > immediately received about 900 mails, but thats a good thing :-)

    Assuming you did a md5sum check on your downloaded/burnt DVD,
    based on your other post about sshd, telnet, thunderbird,....
    I would do a clean install.

    Since we appear to be in the same timezone, I suggest
    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and click "Switch to manual mirror selection"
    and pick a carroll.cac.psu.edu for your mirror.

  8. Re: mail problems

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:13:33 -0700, Eric wrote:
    >
    >> ok, now i have my mail working. I removed that cyrus-imapd and downloaded
    >> a simple pop3d daemon, compiled it added it to xinted restarted postfix
    >> and voila! I forgot i put an echo statement in crontab to test and i
    >> immediately received about 900 mails, but thats a good thing :-)

    > Assuming you did a md5sum check on your downloaded/burnt DVD,
    > based on your other post about sshd, telnet, thunderbird,....
    > I would do a clean install.
    >
    > Since we appear to be in the same timezone, I suggest
    > http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and click "Switch to manual mirror selection"
    > and pick a carroll.cac.psu.edu for your mirror.

    Where are you located (roughly)?
    I'm on puget sound in Washington State - the "Great North Wet!"
    Eric

  9. Re: [OT] mail problems

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:22:13 -0700, Eric wrote:
    > Where are you located (roughly)?
    > I'm on puget sound in Washington State - the "Great North Wet!"

    Dang, must have mis-read headers. I am just outside Dallas Tx.
    carrol.cac.psu.edu will still be a good mirror.

    It pulls updateds from Mandriva's mirror about 9pm Central Standard Time.

  10. Re: [OT] mail problems

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:22:13 -0700, Eric wrote:
    >> Where are you located (roughly)?
    >> I'm on puget sound in Washington State - the "Great North Wet!"

    > Dang, must have mis-read headers. I am just outside Dallas Tx.
    > carrol.cac.psu.edu will still be a good mirror.
    >
    > It pulls updateds from Mandriva's mirror about 9pm Central Standard Time.

    I used to live in houston, really miss texas, especially the nice pool i had

  11. Re: mail problems

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 04:48:41 -0400, Eric wrote:
    >
    >> Can you tell me the name of the imap rpm you installed?

    > Do you have the main repository configured? cyrus-imapd is on my 2008.1
    > x86 installer dvd, while imap is only in the online main repository ...
    >
    > $ grep imap /var/lib/urpmi/name*
    > /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main (Official2008.1-1):imap-utils
    > /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main (Official2008.1-1):imap
    > /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main (Official2008.1-1):imap-devel
    > /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main (Official2008.1-1):cyrus-imapd-utils
    > /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main (Official2008.1-1):cyrus-imapd-devel
    > /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main (Official2008.1-1):cyrus-imapd
    > /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main (Official2008.1-1):cyrus-imapd-murder
    > /var/lib/urpmi/names.Main (Official2008.1-1):cyrus-imapd-nntp
    > /var/lib/urpmi/names.Mandriva Linux - 2008.1 (Free) -
    > Installer:cyrus-imapd-utils /var/lib/urpmi/names.Mandriva Linux - 2008.1
    > (Free) - Installerhp-imap /var/lib/urpmi/names.Mandriva Linux - 2008.1
    > (Free) - Installer:cyrus-imapd-murder /var/lib/urpmi/names.Mandriva Linux
    > - 2008.1 (Free) - Installer:cyrus-imapd-devel
    > /var/lib/urpmi/names.Mandriva Linux - 2008.1 (Free) -
    > Installer:cyrus-imapd (some lines snipped, from above).
    >

    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thats the problem, i dont have that :-)

  12. Re: mail problems

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:54:26 -0700, Eric wrote:

    > Thats the problem, i dont have that :-)

    You should if you have configured/enabled a Main and Main Update mirror.

  13. Re: mail problems

    Best way is to configure mail server is with Webmin www.webmin.com

    But better use Qmail instead of postfix, and configure with WebMin.

    Good luck

    "Eric" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm looking for a "very simple" no frills explanation of what is needed
    > have postfix send me emails from stuff like crontab etc. Shouldnt this
    > just work out of the box on a fresh mandriva install? Besides postfix what
    > else do i need to install? I just want to get my and root's crontab emails
    > and to be able to use mutt to send a few scripted emails to myself at work
    > via my ISP. I thought i was missing a pop3 daemon so i tried installing
    > courier-imap and that didnt work, so i uninstalled it and tried
    > cyrus-imapd - well, that doesnt work either
    > My raid-0 crashed so, I'm rebuilding, this mail thing is always a PITA big
    > time.
    > Any ideas?
    > Thanks
    > Eric