Mandriva ksoftirqd taking up 20% of CPU - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva ksoftirqd taking up 20% of CPU - Mandriva ; I have a LG T1 computer which has an Agerre Gb ethernet card. Running Mandriva 2008.1 it seems suddenly to be taking up huge amounts of cpu-- overheating the laptop, running down the battery and other not nice things. When ...

  1. Mandriva ksoftirqd taking up 20% of CPU

    I have a LG T1 computer which has an Agerre Gb ethernet card. Running
    Mandriva 2008.1 it seems suddenly to be taking up huge amounts of cpu--
    overheating the laptop, running down the battery and other not nice things.

    When the ethernet card is connected, ksoftirqd is siddenly taking up 20% of
    cpu, and the system is running hot. This clearly should not be happening.
    How do I track down what it is to fix it.

    Oh, also in dmesg I am getting loads of messages
    et131x.ko:WARNING et131x_ioctl Unhandled ioctl code 0x8b01
    There are also some lines saying
    NOHZ: local_softirq_pending 08

    (There are about 10 of those lines in a block amongst a large number of the
    former)

    What is ksoftirqd? what is a soft irq?

    Why would it be taking up 20% of cpu?
    What could be wrong with the driver that it is going mad with softirqs?

  2. Re: Mandriva ksoftirqd taking up 20% of CPU

    Maybe this could be interresting reading for you: http://tinyurl.com/6otgm5
    --
    Registered Linux User 271330

  3. Re: Mandriva ksoftirqd taking up 20% of CPU

    Werner Brinkmann writes:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> I have a LG T1 computer which has an Agerre Gb ethernet card. Running
    >> Mandriva 2008.1 it seems suddenly to be taking up huge amounts of cpu--
    >> overheating the laptop, running down the battery and other not nice
    >> things.
    >>
    >> When the ethernet card is connected, ksoftirqd is siddenly taking up 20%
    >> of cpu, and the system is running hot. This clearly should not be
    >> happening. How do I track down what it is to fix it.

    >Maybe this could be interresting reading for you: http://tinyurl.com/6otgm5

    Yes, it certainly is. It is a description of exactly this same bug on the
    Ubuntu bugs list, including a note that a new version is on the sourceforge
    site for the et131x driver which fixes this bug. Apparently the nohz kernel
    option causes the driver to go mad, and keep generating error check soft
    interrupts when it is connected to the network.

    I have also set up a Mandriva bug report and pointing to this new version.

+ Reply to Thread