games on floppy - Mandriva

This is a discussion on games on floppy - Mandriva ; I've built two Mandriva systems now: one for a guy on a ranch without any internet connection and one for me here with DSL. I built it with Open Office working and showed him how to use the various features. ...

  1. games on floppy

    I've built two Mandriva systems now: one for a guy on a ranch without
    any internet connection and one for me here with DSL. I built it with
    Open Office working and showed him how to use the various features. I
    was going to give him some games, and while I had it on DSL in town
    downloaded card games, poker games, and a couple of arcade games.
    Being a newbie in Mandriva I didn't install the games and get them
    working while on DSL. I took the system out to him and set it up. I
    wondered where the games were and realized I hadn't actuall installed
    them because when I finally tried it required extra files and now we
    had no net!

    Questions:
    1. Can I go through this process here and put the extra files it needs
    to install on floppies or memory stick and take them to his ranch?
    2. If so, please spell out the procedure.

    Thanks for any help!

    Best to all, Ken Rogers

  2. Re: games on floppy

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 22:10:15 -0500, Ken Rogers wrote:
    > I've built two Mandriva systems now: one for a guy on a ranch without
    > any internet connection and one for me here with DSL. I built it with
    > Open Office working and showed him how to use the various features. I
    > was going to give him some games, and while I had it on DSL in town
    > downloaded card games, poker games, and a couple of arcade games.
    > Being a newbie in Mandriva I didn't install the games and get them
    > working while on DSL. I took the system out to him and set it up. I
    > wondered where the games were and realized I hadn't actuall installed
    > them because when I finally tried it required extra files and now we
    > had no net!
    >
    > Questions:
    > 1. Can I go through this process here and put the extra files it needs
    > to install on floppies or memory stick and take them to his ranch?
    > 2. If so, please spell out the procedure.

    My recommendation, haul his machine to the DSL connection, install
    updates, then install the games.

    For your games, you can download the rpm(s), save to the transfer
    media, copy to his machine and do a
    uprmi whatever_rpm_you_want_installed.rpm

    Looking through my notes for formatting a floppy I find

    setfdprm /dev/fd0 1440/1440
    fdformat -n /dev/fd0
    or mke2fs -i 1024 -m 0 /dev/fd0

    mkdir /floppy
    mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /floppy

    now you can cp *.rpm /floppy

    I have seen data get corrupted by tossing a diskette onto a desk and
    it was not much of a drop.

    You might consider starting a data project in k3b, drag the rpms there
    and burn an image/cd/dvd instead of stick/floppy.

  3. Re: games on floppy

    Thanks, Bit Twister, I've inserted a few detailed comments/questions
    below.

    Ken

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 05:19:48 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 22:10:15 -0500, Ken Rogers wrote:
    >> I've built two Mandriva systems now: one for a guy on a ranch without
    >> any internet connection and one for me here with DSL. I built it with
    >> Open Office working and showed him how to use the various features. I
    >> was going to give him some games, and while I had it on DSL in town
    >> downloaded card games, poker games, and a couple of arcade games.
    >> Being a newbie in Mandriva I didn't install the games and get them
    >> working while on DSL. I took the system out to him and set it up. I
    >> wondered where the games were and realized I hadn't actuall installed
    >> them because when I finally tried it required extra files and now we
    >> had no net!
    >>
    >> Questions:
    >> 1. Can I go through this process here and put the extra files it needs
    >> to install on floppies or memory stick and take them to his ranch?
    >> 2. If so, please spell out the procedure.

    >My recommendation, haul his machine to the DSL connection, install
    >updates, then install the games.

    That's the most sensible thing. But if I can do it the
    floppy/stick/CD way, he and I will learn a lot more about Linux.

    >For your games, you can download the rpm(s), save to the transfer
    >media, copy to his machine and do a
    >uprmi whatever_rpm_you_want_installed.rpm

    I'm running out of time now. Is there a place where these
    things (upmi for example) are defined? Have to continue later.

    >Looking through my notes for formatting a floppy I find
    >
    >setfdprm /dev/fd0 1440/1440
    > fdformat -n /dev/fd0
    >or mke2fs -i 1024 -m 0 /dev/fd0
    >
    >mkdir /floppy
    >mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /floppy
    >
    >now you can cp *.rpm /floppy
    >

    >I have seen data get corrupted by tossing a diskette onto a desk and
    >it was not much of a drop.
    >
    >You might consider starting a data project in k3b, drag the rpms there
    >and burn an image/cd/dvd instead of stick/floppy.

  4. Re: games on floppy

    Ken Rogers wrote:

    > I've built two Mandriva systems now: one for a guy on a ranch without
    > any internet connection and one for me here with DSL. I built it with
    > Open Office working and showed him how to use the various features. I
    > was going to give him some games, and while I had it on DSL in town
    > downloaded card games, poker games, and a couple of arcade games.
    > Being a newbie in Mandriva I didn't install the games and get them
    > working while on DSL. I took the system out to him and set it up. I
    > wondered where the games were and realized I hadn't actuall installed
    > them because when I finally tried it required extra files and now we
    > had no net!
    >
    > Questions:
    > 1. Can I go through this process here and put the extra files it needs
    > to install on floppies or memory stick and take them to his ranch?
    > 2. If so, please spell out the procedure.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > Best to all, Ken Rogers

    Get the Free Mandrivalinux DVD on the net. Use it to install your missing
    applications:

    As root, in a terminal, it's easier to add the DVD repository like this:

    # urpmi.addmedia --distrib cdrom /media/cdrom/

    (perhaps it's not /media/cdrom/, perhaps /media/mdandriva2008, I don't know
    how it will be called when the DVD will be inserted and automatically
    mounted)

    You could also use mandriva graphical repository configuration tools:

    # drakrpm-edit-media

    Then, menu Options, Add your personal repository, select Add all media from
    a distribution and browse to the root of the mounted DVD-Rom.

    if you want the Mandriva graphical installer to search for your games:

    # rpmdrake

    (All those application are in the Mandriva Tools/System Tools menu but It's
    faster to type this in a console... well, for people who are a bit
    consoleholic like me)

  5. Re: games on floppy

    Thanks for these suggestions. I can set up to download the
    DVD overnight. Then maybe I can take it out to the guy's
    ranch and get his games off of it for him.

    THANKS!

    Best, Ken

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 13:51:57 +0200, Amrein-Marie Christophe
    wrote:

    >Ken Rogers wrote:
    >
    >> I've built two Mandriva systems now: one for a guy on a ranch without
    >> any internet connection and one for me here with DSL. I built it with
    >> Open Office working and showed him how to use the various features. I
    >> was going to give him some games, and while I had it on DSL in town
    >> downloaded card games, poker games, and a couple of arcade games.
    >> Being a newbie in Mandriva I didn't install the games and get them
    >> working while on DSL. I took the system out to him and set it up. I
    >> wondered where the games were and realized I hadn't actuall installed
    >> them because when I finally tried it required extra files and now we
    >> had no net!
    >>
    >> Questions:
    >> 1. Can I go through this process here and put the extra files it needs
    >> to install on floppies or memory stick and take them to his ranch?
    >> 2. If so, please spell out the procedure.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!
    >>
    >> Best to all, Ken Rogers

    >Get the Free Mandrivalinux DVD on the net. Use it to install your missing
    >applications:
    >
    >As root, in a terminal, it's easier to add the DVD repository like this:
    >
    ># urpmi.addmedia --distrib cdrom /media/cdrom/
    >
    >(perhaps it's not /media/cdrom/, perhaps /media/mdandriva2008, I don't know
    >how it will be called when the DVD will be inserted and automatically
    >mounted)
    >
    >You could also use mandriva graphical repository configuration tools:
    >
    ># drakrpm-edit-media
    >
    >Then, menu Options, Add your personal repository, select Add all media from
    >a distribution and browse to the root of the mounted DVD-Rom.
    >
    >if you want the Mandriva graphical installer to search for your games:
    >
    ># rpmdrake
    >
    >(All those application are in the Mandriva Tools/System Tools menu but It's
    >faster to type this in a console... well, for people who are a bit
    >consoleholic like me)

  6. Re: games on floppy

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 23:10:15 -0400, Ken Rogers wrote:

    > Questions:
    > 1. Can I go through this process here and put the extra files it needs
    > to install on floppies or memory stick and take them to his ranch?

    Yes.

    > 2. If so, please spell out the procedure.

    In /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg, add the lines at the top (global options),
    {
    post-clean: 0
    pre-clean: 0
    }

    Then install the packages using urpmi, or mcc. Anything that gets downloaded,
    as a dependency, will then be in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/, so you can then copy
    them to the removable device. Don't forget to clean out the directory after
    copying the files, as it can get quite large.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins