My congratulations - Mandriva

This is a discussion on My congratulations - Mandriva ; Since 2003 that i install and setup desktops with linux, and since then i've notice that dealing with more than one usb-storage volume connected can be dificult to handle: this device was /dev/sda and now is /dev/sdb1, and now my ...

  1. My congratulations

    Since 2003 that i install and setup desktops with linux, and since then i've
    notice that dealing with more than one usb-storage volume connected can be
    dificult to handle:
    this device was /dev/sda and now is /dev/sdb1, and now my camera files
    appear on the mp3 mount point just because i've connected the mp3 player
    first... the same situation complicates even more when using those card
    readers that have 4 or 5 card slots...
    For anybody that knows how to configure the system and use the terminal,
    that's no problem at all... but when you set a Pc for a daughter or anybody
    else that doesn't know how computers works (the just use them) it can be a
    problem.
    All the solutions to this problem i've found until now, require
    pré-configuration, like setting reserved devices on /dev by personalization
    of udev rules... UUID solution is completed unapropriated to any type of
    removable usb-storage, since any card, pen, camera, mp3 player, has a
    diferent UUID on it's volume... and HAL used to fail detecting most of
    these devices.

    I've recently detected that Mandriva 2008.1 solved this problem:
    HAL with a painel apllet called "storage devices" olds the solution.
    I've allready setup 3 pc's with Mdr 2008.1 and found out so far that
    everything works!
    Nokia phones, Usb-pens, Mp3-players, digital foto cameras, Card readers
    (internal or external), you name it... everything that has a usb volume is
    detected and acessed trought "storage devices" apllet and the window fired
    up by HAL without a single flaw until now, and all this without any
    previous configuration of those devices.

    My congratulations to the Mandriva Team that solve a problem that i've been
    battle with it for so long, and solved it in a way that is really easy to
    use to anybody no matter how much they know how to use the system.

    Thanks Mandriva, keep up with the good work
    ArameFarpado

  2. Re: My congratulations

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Since 2003 that i install and setup desktops with linux, and since then
    > i've notice that dealing with more than one usb-storage volume connected
    > can be dificult to handle:
    > this device was /dev/sda and now is /dev/sdb1, and now my camera files
    > appear on the mp3 mount point just because i've connected the mp3 player
    > first... the same situation complicates even more when using those card
    > readers that have 4 or 5 card slots...
    > For anybody that knows how to configure the system and use the terminal,
    > that's no problem at all... but when you set a Pc for a daughter or
    > anybody else that doesn't know how computers works (the just use them) it
    > can be a problem.
    > All the solutions to this problem i've found until now, require
    > pré-configuration, like setting reserved devices on /dev by
    > personalization of udev rules... UUID solution is completed unapropriated
    > to any type of removable usb-storage, since any card, pen, camera, mp3
    > player, has a diferent UUID on it's volume... and HAL used to fail
    > detecting most of these devices.
    >
    > I've recently detected that Mandriva 2008.1 solved this problem:
    > HAL with a painel apllet called "storage devices" olds the solution.
    > I've allready setup 3 pc's with Mdr 2008.1 and found out so far that
    > everything works!
    > Nokia phones, Usb-pens, Mp3-players, digital foto cameras, Card readers
    > (internal or external), you name it... everything that has a usb volume is
    > detected and acessed trought "storage devices" apllet and the window fired
    > up by HAL without a single flaw until now, and all this without any
    > previous configuration of those devices.
    >
    > My congratulations to the Mandriva Team that solve a problem that i've
    > been battle with it for so long, and solved it in a way that is really
    > easy to use to anybody no matter how much they know how to use the system.
    >
    > Thanks Mandriva, keep up with the good work
    > ArameFarpado

    I was easy all along, all you had to do was write a script and as soon as
    the usb device was plugged in it would download the files.

    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  3. Re: My congratulations

    Em Sexta, 8 de Agosto de 2008 04:04, evodawg escreveu:

    > I was easy all along, all you had to do was write a script and as soon as
    > the usb device was plugged in it would download the files.

    you are assuming that the user will only and allways download files from the
    device, what if he wants to upload to the device or just delete one file in
    there?

    and can you write a scrite for a device that you don't know what device is?

    regards

+ Reply to Thread