Updating X in 2007.1 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Updating X in 2007.1 - Mandriva ; CharlieB wrote: > Aragorn wrote: > > >> Hope this was helpful... ;-) >> > Yes it was. Very detailed. Thanks. Charlie, As an aid whilst x is shut down you can get a file manager called Midnight Commander. You ...

  1. Re: Updating X in 2007.1

    CharlieB wrote:
    > Aragorn wrote:
    >

    >> Hope this was helpful... ;-)
    >>

    > Yes it was. Very detailed. Thanks.

    Charlie,
    As an aid whilst x is shut down you can get a file manager called
    Midnight Commander.
    You only need to press the keys M and C then hit Enter.
    This I find invaluable.

    Keep smiling.

    Don.

  2. Updating X in 2007.1

    How can I update the x server in mandriva 2007.1? Can I just use the
    GUI or do you have to stop X and use the command line?

    If I have to stop X:
    1) Is there an easy way to stop X when you have the system set
    to automatically start X?
    2) What is the command I would use for the terminal?

    Thanks in advance,
    Charlie

  3. Re: Updating X in 2007.1

    On Thursday 07 August 2008 01:03, someone identifying as *CharlieB* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > How can I update the x server in mandriva 2007.1? Can I just use the
    > GUI or do you have to stop X and use the command line?

    If it's just a matter of installing security updates and bugfixes, then you
    can normally do that through the usual way from within the
    Mandriva-specific GUI tools. The system may then prompt you for an X11
    restart or eventually a reboot.

    However, if you're looking to upgrade your X11 installation, then best would
    be to stop X11 from running, of course. Make sure you save all open files
    and close all running applications first.

    > If I have to stop X:
    > 1) Is there an easy way to stop X when you have the system set
    > to automatically start X?

    Press /Ctrl+Alt+F2/ simultaneously and log in as the root user. If direct
    root logins are disabled, log in as a regular user and use /su/ to gain
    root privileges. Then issue the command...

    init 3

    You /should/ now be in a character mode-only system, without X11 running.
    You can verify this by pressing /Alt+F7/ to return to the virtual console
    where X11 would normally be running, and /Alt+F2/ to return to the virtual
    console from where you've just logged in.

    To return to a graphical login screen on virtual console 7, issue...

    init 5

    You may want to read up on the System V runlevels in GNU/Linux. ;-)

    > 2) What is the command I would use for the terminal?

    Start with...

    man urpmi

    .... and take it from there. ;-) The exact packages you need depend on the
    type of display adapter you have and what components of /X.Org/ you have
    installed as part of your system.

    Hope this was helpful... ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  4. Re: Updating X in 2007.1

    Aragorn wrote:

    > Hope this was helpful... ;-)

    Yes it was. Very detailed. Thanks.

  5. Re: Updating X in 2007.1

    don wrote:
    > As an aid whilst x is shut down you can get a file manager called
    > Midnight Commander.
    > You only need to press the keys M and C then hit Enter.
    > This I find invaluable.

    I have tried Midnight Commander, and IMHO it is not worth the effort
    to learn how to use it.

    IMHO, it is better to learn shell prompt commands, and how to edit a
    file from a shell prompt.

    The text editor Vim is included with Mandriva. Vim is an improved
    version of the text editor vi.

    Try typing
    vimtutor
    at a shell prompt to get started with vim.

    Here is a URL for a shell prompt commands webpage:

    http://members.tripod.com/~earthen/linuxcom.htm

  6. Re: Updating X in 2007.1

    On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 00:11:20 -0700
    "Scott B." wrote:

    > don wrote:
    > > As an aid whilst x is shut down you can get a file manager called
    > > Midnight Commander.
    > > You only need to press the keys M and C then hit Enter.
    > > This I find invaluable.

    > I have tried Midnight Commander, and IMHO it is not worth the effort
    > to learn how to use it.
    >
    > IMHO, it is better to learn shell prompt commands, and how to edit a
    > file from a shell prompt. [...]

    I've been a Unix installer, troubleshooter and administrator for over 20 years
    and I know how to do both, use 'mc' and get around at the bare CLI. I disagree
    with your opinion about 'mc'. I find 'mc' incredibly helpful for quickly
    browsing through a file system. If one insists on running a command at the
    command-line 'mc' has a command-line in it. One can also escape 'mc' to a shell
    then 'exit' back to 'mc'. Do you also think 'screen' is not worth learning?

    Why people insist on hobbling themselves and not using perfectly decent tools
    like 'mc' is a mystery to me.

    Gene (e-mail: usenet0 \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    blog.eracc.com latest article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6lg4l2
    'Linux Myth: Installing Software on Linux is Hard'
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

+ Reply to Thread