bad superblock - Mandriva

This is a discussion on bad superblock - Mandriva ; I had a power failure thr other day and while I have an UPS I was unable to gracefully shut down the system (monitor failure). When the battery in the UPS died the machine powered off. Startup now fails with ...

  1. bad superblock

    I had a power failure thr other day and while I have an UPS I was
    unable to gracefully shut down the system (monitor failure). When the
    battery in the UPS died the machine powered off. Startup now fails
    with "unable to mount hda6 ( /home partition )" because of a bad or
    missing superblock. I tried to allow e2fsck to fix it but no cigar. Is
    there any way to recover?

    Thanks, Harvie

    Mandriva 2007, KDE

  2. Re: bad superblock

    hpowis@tamcotec.com wrote:
    > I had a power failure thr other day and while I have an UPS I was
    > unable to gracefully shut down the system (monitor failure). When the
    > battery in the UPS died the machine powered off. Startup now fails
    > with "unable to mount hda6 ( /home partition )" because of a bad or
    > missing superblock. I tried to allow e2fsck to fix it but no cigar. Is
    > there any way to recover?

    Did you use the -b altsuperblock option to e2fsck? You may need to
    run the mke2fs command with the -n and -b blocksize options to locate
    the alternate superblocks, and maybe the -c option to run badblocks
    as well.

    man e2fsck

    Good luck!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: bad superblock

    On Aug 5, 9:13 pm, Jim Beard wrote:
    > hpo...@tamcotec.com wrote:
    > > I had a power failure thr other day and while I have an UPS I was
    > > unable to gracefully shut down the system (monitor failure). When the
    > > battery in the UPS died the machine powered off. Startup now fails
    > > with "unable to mount hda6 ( /home partition )" because of a bad or
    > > missing superblock. I tried to allow e2fsck to fix it but no cigar. Is
    > > there any way to recover?

    > Did you use the -b altsuperblock option to e2fsck? You may need to
    > run the mke2fs command with the -n and -b blocksize options to locate
    > the alternate superblocks, and maybe the -c option to run badblocks
    > as well.
    >
    > man e2fsck
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > jim b.
    >
    > --
    > UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    > expects users to be computer-friendly.

    Thanks Jim. I am probably being thick here but how do I find out what
    blocksize to tell mke2fs?

    Harvie

  4. Re: bad superblock

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 11:12:26 -0400, wrote:

    > Thanks Jim. I am probably being thick here but how do I find out what
    > blocksize to tell mke2fs?

    Try dumpe2fs /dev/????.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins