Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file - Mandriva ; Yesterday KDE crashed on me while Firefox and Thunderbird were open. When I restart Firefox, I could take the option "Restore session" and all is OK. But TB comes with above message and then bumps out. I googled and found ...

  1. Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file

    Yesterday KDE crashed on me while Firefox and Thunderbird were open. When I
    restart Firefox, I could take the option "Restore session" and all is OK.
    But TB comes with above message and then bumps out.

    I googled and found to delete the file ".parentlock" (what I did) and "lock"
    (which wasn't present). But that doesn't help.

    Other tips I found we,t along creating a new profile, but I'd rather dislikr
    that since it involves a lot of redoing and copying files for existing
    mailboxes and addressbooks. And if I copy too much , chances are I copy the
    problem as well???

    So, any suggestion as what might be wrong?
    --
    Veel mensen danken hun goed geweten aan hun slecht geheugen. (G. Bomans)

    Lots of people owe their good conscience to their bad memory (G. Bomans)

  2. Re: Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 16:51:47 +0200, herman.viaene wrote:

    > Yesterday KDE crashed on me while Firefox and Thunderbird were open.
    > When I restart Firefox, I could take the option "Restore session" and
    > all is OK. But TB comes with above message and then bumps out.
    >
    > I googled and found to delete the file ".parentlock" (what I did) and
    > "lock" (which wasn't present). But that doesn't help.
    >
    > Other tips I found we,t along creating a new profile, but I'd rather
    > dislikr that since it involves a lot of redoing and copying files for
    > existing mailboxes and addressbooks. And if I copy too much , chances
    > are I copy the problem as well???
    >
    > So, any suggestion as what might be wrong?

    I had something similar that used to happen to me in Mandriva 2008 using
    Evolution with the Gnome Desktop. I would bring up System Monitor and
    end the process evolution-data-server then restart Evolution normally. I
    haven't experienced this issue since moving to Mandriva 2008.1.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  3. Re: Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file

    JTJersey wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 16:51:47 +0200, herman.viaene wrote:
    >
    >> Yesterday KDE crashed on me while Firefox and Thunderbird were open.
    >> When I restart Firefox, I could take the option "Restore session" and
    >> all is OK. But TB comes with above message and then bumps out.
    >>
    >> I googled and found to delete the file ".parentlock" (what I did) and
    >> "lock" (which wasn't present). But that doesn't help.
    >>
    >> Other tips I found we,t along creating a new profile, but I'd rather
    >> dislikr that since it involves a lot of redoing and copying files for
    >> existing mailboxes and addressbooks. And if I copy too much , chances
    >> are I copy the problem as well???
    >>
    >> So, any suggestion as what might be wrong?

    > I had something similar that used to happen to me in Mandriva 2008 using
    > Evolution with the Gnome Desktop. I would bring up System Monitor and
    > end the process evolution-data-server then restart Evolution normally. I
    > haven't experienced this issue since moving to Mandriva 2008.1.

    Tx for your reaction. I did find something similar on Google, but
    firstly, there is no hanging TB process
    and secondly, the problem survives a reboot.

    Herman

    --
    Veel mensen danken hun goed geweten aan hun slecht geheugen. (G. Bomans)

    Lots of people owe their good conscience to their bad memory (G. Bomans)

  4. Re: Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file

    herman.viaene@thuis.be wrote:

    > Yesterday KDE crashed on me while Firefox and Thunderbird were open. When
    > I restart Firefox, I could take the option "Restore session" and all is
    > OK. But TB comes with above message and then bumps out.
    >
    > I googled and found to delete the file ".parentlock" (what I did) and
    > "lock" (which wasn't present). But that doesn't help.
    >
    > Other tips I found we,t along creating a new profile, but I'd rather
    > dislikr that since it involves a lot of redoing and copying files for
    > existing mailboxes and addressbooks. And if I copy too much , chances are
    > I copy the problem as well???
    >
    > So, any suggestion as what might be wrong?

    I found something quite disturbing for me: I think i have a corrupted file
    for /etc/thunderbird.cfg.
    When as root I do an ls -als , I get
    ? -????????? ? ? ? ? ? thunderbird.cfg

    The root file system is an ext3 , and I found no way of getting rid of this
    file , cann't delete or rename overwrite it (I have a backup of it).

    How do I handle this?

    Herman

    --
    Veel mensen danken hun goed geweten aan hun slecht geheugen. (G. Bomans)

    Lots of people owe their good conscience to their bad memory (G. Bomans)

  5. Re: Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 14:10:50 +0200, herman.viaene@thuis.be wrote:

    > I found something quite disturbing for me: I think i have a corrupted file
    > for /etc/thunderbird.cfg.
    > When as root I do an ls -als , I get
    > ? -????????? ? ? ? ? ? thunderbird.cfg
    >
    > The root file system is an ext3 , and I found no way of getting rid of this
    > file , cann't delete or rename overwrite it (I have a backup of it).
    >
    > How do I handle this?

    I would try, as root:

    chown root:root /etc/thunderbird.cfg
    chmod 755 /etc/thunderbird.cfg
    ls -al /etc/thunderbird.cfg

  6. Re: Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 15:37:11 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:

    > I would try, as root:
    >
    > chown root:root /etc/thunderbird.cfg
    > chmod 755 /etc/thunderbird.cfg

    Whoops, should read
    chmod 744 /etc/thunderbird.cfg

    > ls -al /etc/thunderbird.cfg

  7. Re: Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 15:37:11 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >> I would try, as root:
    >>
    >> chown root:root /etc/thunderbird.cfg
    >> chmod 755 /etc/thunderbird.cfg

    > Whoops, should read
    > chmod 744 /etc/thunderbird.cfg
    >
    >> ls -al /etc/thunderbird.cfg

    Alas....
    [root@mach1 etc]# chown root:root thunderbird.cfg
    chown: cannot access `thunderbird.cfg': No such file or directory

    while ls -als shows (amongst all other correct files)
    ? -????????? ? ? ? ? ? thunderbird.cfg

    but on the other hand
    [root@mach1 etc]# ls -als thunderbird.cfg
    ls: cannot access thunderbird.cfg: No such file or directory

    Herman

    --
    Veel mensen danken hun goed geweten aan hun slecht geheugen. (G. Bomans)

    Lots of people owe their good conscience to their bad memory (G. Bomans)

  8. Re: Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 17:46:12 +0200, herman.viaene@thuis.be wrote:

    > while ls -als shows (amongst all other correct files)
    > ? -????????? ? ? ? ? ? thunderbird.cfg
    >
    > but on the other hand
    > [root@mach1 etc]# ls -als thunderbird.cfg
    > ls: cannot access thunderbird.cfg: No such file or directory

    Ok, try delete with

    cd /etc
    rm -i *bird*

  9. Re: Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 15:55:45 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 17:46:12 +0200, herman.viaene@thuis.be wrote:
    >>
    >> while ls -als shows (amongst all other correct files)
    >> ? -????????? ? ? ? ? ? thunderbird.cfg
    >>
    >> but on the other hand
    >> [root@mach1 etc]# ls -als thunderbird.cfg
    >> ls: cannot access thunderbird.cfg: No such file or directory

    > Ok, try delete with
    >
    > cd /etc
    > rm -i *bird*

    all it has in it is
    $ cat /etc/thunderbird.cfg
    pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/xdg-open");
    pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/xdg-open");
    pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/xdg-open");

  10. Re: Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 17:46:12 +0200, herman.viaene@thuis.be wrote:
    >>
    >> while ls -als shows (amongst all other correct files)
    >> ? -????????? ? ? ? ? ? thunderbird.cfg
    >>
    >> but on the other hand
    >> [root@mach1 etc]# ls -als thunderbird.cfg
    >> ls: cannot access thunderbird.cfg: No such file or directory

    > Ok, try delete with
    >
    > cd /etc
    > rm -i *bird*

    [root@mach1 etc]# rm -i thunderbird.cfg
    rm: cannot remove `thunderbird.cfg': No such file or directory

    Herman
    --
    Veel mensen danken hun goed geweten aan hun slecht geheugen. (G. Bomans)

    Lots of people owe their good conscience to their bad memory (G. Bomans)

  11. Re: Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 18:59:10 +0200, herman.viaene@thuis.be wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 17:46:12 +0200, herman.viaene@thuis.be wrote:
    >>>
    >>> while ls -als shows (amongst all other correct files)
    >>> ? -????????? ? ? ? ? ? thunderbird.cfg
    >>>
    >>> but on the other hand
    >>> [root@mach1 etc]# ls -als thunderbird.cfg
    >>> ls: cannot access thunderbird.cfg: No such file or directory

    >> Ok, try delete with
    >>
    >> cd /etc
    >> rm -i *bird*

    > [root@mach1 etc]# rm -i thunderbird.cfg
    > rm: cannot remove `thunderbird.cfg': No such file or directory

    I did not give you that command. Command I gave had asterisk bird asterisk
    See:
    rm -i *bird*

  12. Re: Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 18:59:10 +0200, herman.viaene@thuis.be wrote:
    >> Bit Twister wrote:

    >>> Ok, try delete with
    >>>
    >>> cd /etc
    >>> rm -i *bird*

    >> [root@mach1 etc]# rm -i thunderbird.cfg
    >> rm: cannot remove `thunderbird.cfg': No such file or directory

    > I did not give you that command. Command I gave had asterisk bird asterisk
    > See:
    > rm -i *bird*

    Strange thing Knode. In the 3-pane view, these asterisks do not show, but
    when I open the message to reply then all is shown. Anyway:
    [root@mach1 etc]# rm -i *bird*
    rm: cannot remove `thunderbird.cfg': No such file or directory

    Herman
    --
    Veel mensen danken hun goed geweten aan hun slecht geheugen. (G. Bomans)

    Lots of people owe their good conscience to their bad memory (G. Bomans)

  13. Re: Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 10:13:22 +0200, herman.viaene@thuis.be wrote:

    > Strange thing Knode. In the 3-pane view, these asterisks do not show, but
    > when I open the message to reply then all is shown.

    Yep, there are some Usenet conventions that can bite you in Knode.

    opening and trailing:
    o underscore - implies the intervening text _is underlined_
    o asterisk - means the text *is bold*
    o slash - means the text /is in italics/

    > Anyway:
    > [root@mach1 etc]# rm -i *bird*
    > rm: cannot remove `thunderbird.cfg': No such file or directory

    Hey, try this
    cd /etc

    cat > thunderbird.cfg
    pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/xdg-open");
    pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/xdg-open");
    pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/xdg-open");
    ^d <====== that is a control d

    chmod 644 thunderbird.cfg

    Might try
    cd /
    cp -a etc etc_new
    cd etc_new
    rm -i *bird*
    and verify it is not there.

    If so you could then boot a live cd
    mount the partition
    and then swap them,
    mv etc etc_broke
    mv etc_new etc

    Since thunderbird.cfg is dinked up and usually a read only file
    I wonder what else is messed up in the directory file.

    Well, I am out of suggestions for fixing the problem other than
    editing the entry in the directory file. Never done that myself.

  14. Re: Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 11:53:03 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 10:13:22 +0200, herman.viaene@thuis.be wrote:
    >
    >> Strange thing Knode. In the 3-pane view, these asterisks do not show,
    >> but when I open the message to reply then all is shown.

    > Yep, there are some Usenet conventions that can bite you in Knode.
    >
    > opening and trailing:
    > o underscore - implies the intervening text _is underlined_ o
    > asterisk - means the text *is bold* o slash - means the text
    > /is in italics/
    >

    >> Anyway:
    >> [root@mach1 etc]# rm -i *bird*
    >> rm: cannot remove `thunderbird.cfg': No such file or directory

    > Hey, try this
    > cd /etc
    >
    > cat > thunderbird.cfg
    > pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/xdg-open");
    > pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/xdg-open");
    > pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/xdg-open"); ^d
    > <====== that is a control d
    >
    > chmod 644 thunderbird.cfg
    >

    > Might try
    > cd /
    > cp -a etc etc_new
    > cd etc_new
    > rm -i *bird*
    > and verify it is not there.
    >
    > If so you could then boot a live cd
    > mount the partition
    > and then swap them,
    > mv etc etc_broke
    > mv etc_new etc
    >

    > Since thunderbird.cfg is dinked up and usually a read only file I wonder
    > what else is messed up in the directory file.
    >
    > Well, I am out of suggestions for fixing the problem other than editing
    > the entry in the directory file. Never done that myself.

    First...

    man fsck.ext3

    After that...

    You might try booting with a cd, goto rescue mode.

    Run fsck.ext3 -f -p /dev/???

    Where ??? is the correct device for the root filesystem.

    This *should* repair the filesystem by forcing a complete check and
    fixing anything that can be fixed automatically. Anything that can't be
    fixed automaticlly you will be told about.

    Another possible approch is to reboot in single user mode ( init 1 ),
    sync the drive(s) and hit the reset button. This will force a filesystem
    check on all filesystems on reboot. It isn't the proper way and it can
    cause problems, but if all else fails...

    --
    I've no regrets. I was sincere in everything I said.
    -- Former Iraqi Information Minister Mohammed Saeed al-

  15. Re: Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file

    Bit Twister wrote:

    ....snip
    > Hey, try this
    > cd /etc
    >
    > cat > thunderbird.cfg
    > pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/xdg-open");
    > pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/xdg-open");
    > pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/xdg-open");
    > ^d <====== that is a control d

    Nope, the cat already returns with "file does not exist
    > chmod 644 thunderbird.cfg
    >

    > Might try
    > cd /
    > cp -a etc etc_new
    > cd etc_new
    > rm -i *bird*
    > and verify it is not there.

    Of course, why didn't I think of that before!!!! When you cann't read the
    file, you cann't copy it. In etc_new there was no corrupted entry. I copied
    my backup in etc_new.

    > If so you could then boot a live cd
    > mount the partition
    > and then swap them,
    > mv etc etc_broke
    > mv etc_new etc

    Yes!!!! that did it, Thunderbird working like a beauty again

    > Since thunderbird.cfg is dinked up and usually a read only file
    > I wonder what else is messed up in the directory file.
    >
    > Well, I am out of suggestions for fixing the problem other than
    > editing the entry in the directory file. Never done that myself.

    No need to do this anymore.

    Tx also to Jim for his suggestion, I'll wait until the system after xx
    reboots forces an fsck.

    Herman

    --
    Veel mensen danken hun goed geweten aan hun slecht geheugen. (G. Bomans)

    Lots of people owe their good conscience to their bad memory (G. Bomans)

  16. Re: Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:31:43 +0200, herman.viaene@thuis.be wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    > ...snip
    >> Hey, try this
    >> cd /etc
    >>
    >> cat > thunderbird.cfg
    >> pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/xdg-open");
    >> pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/xdg-open");
    >> pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/xdg-open");
    >> ^d <====== that is a control d
    >>

    > Nope, the cat already returns with "file does not exist

    If I misunderstand you correctly, I am guessing, you did not run what
    I suggested. You gotta pay attention.

    I did not say cat thunderbird.cfg
    I said cat > thunderbird.cfg

    If thunderbird.cfg existed, cat > thunderbird.cfg would overwrite it.
    If thunderbird.cfg did not exists, cat > thunderbird.cfg would create it and
    all the text after that would go into thunderbird.cfg until
    cat sees the control d. That terminates the cat > thunderbird.cfg operation.

    As for the fsck, you might want to look in /lost+found to see if
    anything went lost.

  17. Re: Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:31:43 +0200, herman.viaene@thuis.be wrote:
    >> Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >> ...snip
    >>> Hey, try this
    >>> cd /etc
    >>>
    >>> cat > thunderbird.cfg
    >>> pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/xdg-open");
    >>> pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/xdg-open");
    >>> pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/xdg-open");
    >>> ^d <====== that is a control d
    >>>

    >> Nope, the cat already returns with "file does not exist

    > If I misunderstand you correctly, I am guessing, you did not run what
    > I suggested. You gotta pay attention.
    >
    > I did not say cat thunderbird.cfg
    > I said cat > thunderbird.cfg

    My fault, I copy/pasted your command, but I did not the same when I wrote
    the result.

    > If thunderbird.cfg existed, cat > thunderbird.cfg would overwrite
    > it. If thunderbird.cfg did not exists, cat > thunderbird.cfg would create
    > it and all the text after that would go into thunderbird.cfg until
    > cat sees the control d. That terminates the cat > thunderbird.cfg
    > operation.
    >
    > As for the fsck, you might want to look in /lost+found to see if
    > anything went lost.

    Deep bow for your knowledge, as this is not the first time you help me out.

    Herman

    --
    Veel mensen danken hun goed geweten aan hun slecht geheugen. (G. Bomans)

    Lots of people owe their good conscience to their bad memory (G. Bomans)

  18. Re: Thunderbird * failed to read configuration file

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 17:07:26 +0200, herman.viaene@thuis.be wrote:

    > My fault, I copy/pasted your command,

    Ok, not a problem. Sorry I jump on you. :-)

    > but I did not the same when I wrote the result.

    You can always click up a terminal,
    su - root

    and copy from terminal into your reply window.
    Saves typing, shows us what you did and exactly what happens.

    Then again, if your system's language setting is not English, I would not
    be able to help.

+ Reply to Thread