No need now to remember to switch on printer - Mandriva

This is a discussion on No need now to remember to switch on printer - Mandriva ; Some time between moving from OS/2 to SuSE 9.0 and then to Mandriva 2007 and 2008.0, I found that if the printer wasn't switched on before I requested Print, the printer would - after then being switched on - refuse ...

  1. No need now to remember to switch on printer

    Some time between moving from OS/2 to SuSE 9.0 and then to
    Mandriva 2007 and 2008.0, I found that if the printer wasn't
    switched on before I requested Print, the printer would - after
    then being switched on - refuse to print, and I had to use
    localhost:631 to get it moving again.

    Since then I have always remembered to switch on first, but
    yesterday I forgot, and - to my amazement - the print request
    turned the printer on! (HP5150 Deskjet)

    So somewhere along the line some update has added an
    auto-switchon function for the printer. Great!

    Anyone know when that was, by any chance?
    (No problem - just curious...)
    --
    /\/\aurice
    Linux Mandriva 2.6.22.19-desktop-2mdv 2008.0 PP 32-bit

  2. Re: No need now to remember to switch on printer

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Some time between moving from OS/2 to SuSE 9.0 and then to
    > Mandriva 2007 and 2008.0, I found that if the printer wasn't
    > switched on before I requested Print, the printer would - after
    > then being switched on - refuse to print, and I had to use
    > localhost:631 to get it moving again.
    >
    > Since then I have always remembered to switch on first, but
    > yesterday I forgot, and - to my amazement - the print request
    > turned the printer on! (HP5150 Deskjet)
    >
    > So somewhere along the line some update has added an
    > auto-switchon function for the printer. Great!
    >
    > Anyone know when that was, by any chance?
    > (No problem - just curious...)

    02.04.2008

  3. Re: No need now to remember to switch on printer

    On 2008-08-04, Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:
    > Maurice Batey wrote:
    >
    >> Some time between moving from OS/2 to SuSE 9.0 and then to
    >> Mandriva 2007 and 2008.0, I found that if the printer wasn't
    >> switched on before I requested Print, the printer would - after
    >> then being switched on - refuse to print, and I had to use
    >> localhost:631 to get it moving again.
    >>
    >> Since then I have always remembered to switch on first, but
    >> yesterday I forgot, and - to my amazement - the print request
    >> turned the printer on! (HP5150 Deskjet)
    >>
    >> So somewhere along the line some update has added an
    >> auto-switchon function for the printer. Great!
    >>
    >> Anyone know when that was, by any chance?
    >> (No problem - just curious...)

    > 02.04.2008

    Is that 2008-04-02 or 2008-02-04?

    (Please don't use ambiguous dates.)

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  4. Re: No need now to remember to switch on printer

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 00:00:19 +0000, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

    > On 2008-08-04, Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:
    >> Maurice Batey wrote:
    >>
    >>> Some time between moving from OS/2 to SuSE 9.0 and then to Mandriva
    >>> 2007 and 2008.0, I found that if the printer wasn't switched on before
    >>> I requested Print, the printer would - after then being switched on -
    >>> refuse to print, and I had to use localhost:631 to get it moving
    >>> again.
    >>>
    >>> Since then I have always remembered to switch on first, but yesterday
    >>> I forgot, and - to my amazement - the print request turned the
    >>> printer on! (HP5150 Deskjet)
    >>>
    >>> So somewhere along the line some update has added an auto-switchon
    >>> function for the printer. Great!
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know when that was, by any chance?
    >>> (No problem - just curious...)

    >> 02.04.2008

    > Is that 2008-04-02 or 2008-02-04?
    >
    > (Please don't use ambiguous dates.)

    That isn't ambiguous , it is the second of april 2008.

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

  5. Re: No need now to remember to switch on printer

    Neil Ellwood writes:

    >On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 00:00:19 +0000, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

    >>> 02.04.2008

    >> Is that 2008-04-02 or 2008-02-04?
    >>
    >> (Please don't use ambiguous dates.)

    >That isn't ambiguous , it is the second of april 2008.

    Yes, it is. It could also be the fourth of February, 2008.
    Why the penchant for numbers instead of month names I have never known.

    >--
    >Neil
    >reverse ra and delete l
    >Linux user 335851

  6. Re: No need now to remember to switch on printer

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 00:32:49 +0200, Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:

    > 02.04.2008

    Merci mille fois!

    (Je suis curieux de savoir quel part de Mandriva 2008.0. Kernel?)

    --
    /\/\aurice
    Linux Mandriva 2.6.22.19-desktop-2mdv 2008.0 PP 32-bit
    KDE 3.5.7 Virtualbox 1.5.6

  7. Re: No need now to remember to switch on printer

    Unruh wrote:

    > Neil Ellwood writes:

    >>> Is that 2008-04-02 or 2008-02-04?
    >>>
    >>> (Please don't use ambiguous dates.)

    >>That isn't ambiguous , it is the second of april 2008.

    > Yes, it is. It could also be the fourth of February, 2008.
    > Why the penchant for numbers instead of month names I have never known.

    Copy/past from a Mandrivalinux 2008.0 update ftp repository

  8. Re: No need now to remember to switch on printer

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 00:32:49 +0200, Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:
    >
    >> 02.04.2008

    > Merci mille fois!
    >
    > (Je suis curieux de savoir quel part de Mandriva 2008.0. Kernel?)

    Certainly not a kernel update but a cups update.

  9. Re: No need now to remember to switch on printer

    Unruh wrote:
    > Neil Ellwood writes:

    >>> Is that 2008-04-02 or 2008-02-04?
    >>>
    >>> (Please don't use ambiguous dates.)
    >>>

    >> That isn't ambiguous , it is the second of april 2008.
    >>

    > Yes, it is. It could also be the fourth of February, 2008.
    > Why the penchant for numbers instead of month names I have never known.

    Sorting. Especially on the oldest machines without much space to waste
    on extra information.

    >> --
    >> Neil
    >> reverse ra and delete l
    >> Linux user 335851

    later
    bliss at california dot com

    --
    bobbie sellers -(Back to Angband)Team *AMIGA & SF-LUG*
    a retired nurse in San Francisco

    Ningen banji Human beings do
    Samazama no Every single kind
    Baka a suru Of stupid thing
    --- 117th edition of Haifu Yanagidaru published in 1832

  10. Re: No need now to remember to switch on printer

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 16:19:08 +0200, Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:

    > a cups update

    Merci encore!

    --
    /\/\aurice
    Linux Mandriva 2.6.22.19-desktop-2mdv 2008.0 PP 32-bit
    KDE 3.5.7 Virtualbox 1.5.6

  11. Re: No need now to remember to switch on printer

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 13:34:27 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > Neil Ellwood writes:

    >>> Is that 2008-04-02 or 2008-02-04?
    >>>
    >>> (Please don't use ambiguous dates.)

    >>That isn't ambiguous , it is the second of april 2008.

    > Yes, it is. It could also be the fourth of February, 2008. Why the
    > penchant for numbers instead of month names I have never known.
    >

    >>--
    >>Neil
    >>reverse ra and delete l
    >>Linux user 335851

    If you had looked you would have seen that the poster came from Britain
    and used the standard way of putting the date.

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

  12. Re: No need now to remember to switch on printer

    Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 00:00:19 +0000, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

    >>> 02.04.2008

    >> Is that 2008-04-02 or 2008-02-04?
    >>
    >> (Please don't use ambiguous dates.)

    > That isn't ambiguous , it is the second of april 2008.

    Only on your side of the pond. Sad to say, in the United
    States of America, the preponderance of usage says it
    is 4 February 2008. There are some pockets of rationality
    regarding such matters, but they constitute far from a
    majority.

    No cheers.

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  13. Re: No need now to remember to switch on printer

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:24:51 -0400, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Neil Ellwood wrote:

    >>> Is that 2008-04-02 or 2008-02-04?
    >>>
    >>> (Please don't use ambiguous dates.)

    >> That isn't ambiguous , it is the second of april 2008.

    > Only on your side of the pond. Sad to say, in the United States of
    > America, the preponderance of usage says it is 4 February 2008. There
    > are some pockets of rationality regarding such matters, but they
    > constitute far from a majority.
    >
    > No cheers.
    >
    > jim b.

    The USA is not the world.

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

  14. Re: No need now to remember to switch on printer

    On 2008-08-05, Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 00:00:19 +0000, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    >> On 2008-08-04, Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:

    >>> 02.04.2008

    >> Is that 2008-04-02 or 2008-02-04?
    >>
    >> (Please don't use ambiguous dates.)

    > That isn't ambiguous , it is the second of april 2008.

    To millions of people (primarily in the USA), it means February 4,
    2008. That makes it ambiguous.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

+ Reply to Thread