Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard? - Mandriva ; I have a DG33BU motherboard (ICH9 33BU chipset, core2 cpu) I have installed lm-sensors and can get the two core temps, but I see nothing else under gkrellm. Ie, no fan speeds, no motherboard temperatures, no ICH temperatures. The bios ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    I have a DG33BU motherboard (ICH9 33BU chipset, core2 cpu)
    I have installed lm-sensors and can get the two core temps, but I see
    nothing else under gkrellm. Ie, no fan speeds, no motherboard temperatures,
    no ICH temperatures. The bios gives all of those but of course I cannot run
    the bios routines while running linux. I need to see those temperatures.

    I am getting temp of 70C from the Intel Core lm-sensor when compiling the kernel, which seems hot to me,
    but the mother board has been replaced, and the heatsink has been reseated
    and thermal greased, and it made no difference. After I had done a compile,
    I shut down and immediately read the ICH temp and it was about 80C. Those
    all seem very high, but maybe that is the way the motherboard is designed.
    (the heatsink on the ICH is apparently preinstalled by Intel.)

    Anyone have any suggestions ( or maybe I should just stop worrying?)

  2. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Unruh wrote:

    > I have a DG33BU motherboard (ICH9 33BU chipset, core2 cpu)
    > I have installed lm-sensors and can get the two core temps, but I see
    > nothing else under gkrellm. Ie, no fan speeds, no motherboard temperatures,
    > no ICH temperatures. The bios gives all of those but of course I cannot run
    > the bios routines while running linux. I need to see those temperatures.
    >
    > I am getting temp of 70C from the Intel Core lm-sensor when compiling the
    > kernel, which seems hot to me, but the mother board has been replaced, and
    > the heatsink has been reseated and thermal greased, and it made no
    > difference. After I had done a compile, I shut down and immediately read the
    > ICH temp and it was about 80C. Those all seem very high, but maybe that is
    > the way the motherboard is designed. (the heatsink on the ICH is apparently
    > preinstalled by Intel.)
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions ( or maybe I should just stop worrying?)

    I have a DG33TL with a Q9450 running 4 copies of seti@home 24/7, my room temp
    hovers around 78-80F. With coretemp/gkrelm my highest core temp (always cpu
    0) is around 57C.
    Are you sure the heatsink/fan device is fully inserted? the "press to fit"
    intel stock cooler can be hard to get installed correctly.
    Another thought, do you have a 'thermally advantage' case? The one with the
    hole in the side. I have that and a fan in the tube blowing down into the cpu
    fan. I also have an exhaust fan on the rear and 2 smaller ones in front, one
    blowing over the 2 HDD's and one below them. All in all, what i found is that
    once the airflow is correct, (in's vs out's) the system settled down and got
    reasonably quiet, and reasonably cool given the load.
    Here's my current temps:
    cpu0 56C 132F cpu1 53C 127F cpu2 51C 123F cpu3 51C 123
    GPU 47c
    SDA 33c, SDB 31c
    You can get lm_sensors to give you the fans once the kernel is configured, it
    depends on some module being loaded, and I havnt nailed down which it is. I
    have had them show up in gkrelm at times, but I am using a downloaded 2.6.26
    kernel. I changed something and the fan speeds got lost, I'm trying now to
    get them back.
    Oh, the lm_sensors I'm using is:
    sensors version 2.10.4 with libsensors version 2.10.4
    I tried downloading the latest version and compiling it, didnt seem to make
    any difference.
    33 chipset is still new
    Eric

  3. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Eric writes:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> I have a DG33BU motherboard (ICH9 33BU chipset, core2 cpu)
    >> I have installed lm-sensors and can get the two core temps, but I see
    >> nothing else under gkrellm. Ie, no fan speeds, no motherboard temperatures,
    >> no ICH temperatures. The bios gives all of those but of course I cannot run
    >> the bios routines while running linux. I need to see those temperatures.
    >>
    >> I am getting temp of 70C from the Intel Core lm-sensor when compiling the
    >> kernel, which seems hot to me, but the mother board has been replaced, and
    >> the heatsink has been reseated and thermal greased, and it made no
    >> difference. After I had done a compile, I shut down and immediately read the
    >> ICH temp and it was about 80C. Those all seem very high, but maybe that is
    >> the way the motherboard is designed. (the heatsink on the ICH is apparently
    >> preinstalled by Intel.)
    >>
    >> Anyone have any suggestions ( or maybe I should just stop worrying?)

    >I have a DG33TL with a Q9450 running 4 copies of seti@home 24/7, my room temp
    >hovers around 78-80F. With coretemp/gkrelm my highest core temp (always cpu
    >0) is around 57C.
    >Are you sure the heatsink/fan device is fully inserted? the "press to fit"
    >intel stock cooler can be hard to get installed correctly.
    >Another thought, do you have a 'thermally advantage' case? The one with the
    >hole in the side. I have that and a fan in the tube blowing down into the cpu
    >fan. I also have an exhaust fan on the rear and 2 smaller ones in front, one
    >blowing over the 2 HDD's and one below them. All in all, what i found is that
    >once the airflow is correct, (in's vs out's) the system settled down and got
    >reasonably quiet, and reasonably cool given the load.
    >Here's my current temps:
    > cpu0 56C 132F cpu1 53C 127F cpu2 51C 123F cpu3 51C 123
    > GPU 47c
    > SDA 33c, SDB 31c
    >You can get lm_sensors to give you the fans once the kernel is configured, it
    >depends on some module being loaded, and I havnt nailed down which it is. I
    >have had them show up in gkrelm at times, but I am using a downloaded 2.6.26
    >kernel. I changed something and the fan speeds got lost, I'm trying now to
    >get them back.
    >Oh, the lm_sensors I'm using is:
    >sensors version 2.10.4 with libsensors version 2.10.4
    >I tried downloading the latest version and compiling it, didnt seem to make
    >any difference.
    >33 chipset is still new
    > Eric

  4. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Eric wrote:

    >Unruh wrote:
    >

    >>I have a DG33BU motherboard (ICH9 33BU chipset, core2 cpu)
    >>I have installed lm-sensors and can get the two core temps, but I see
    >>nothing else under gkrellm. Ie, no fan speeds, no motherboard temperatures,
    >>no ICH temperatures. The bios gives all of those but of course I cannot run
    >>the bios routines while running linux. I need to see those temperatures.
    >>
    >>I am getting temp of 70C from the Intel Core lm-sensor when compiling the
    >>kernel, which seems hot to me, but the mother board has been replaced, and
    >>the heatsink has been reseated and thermal greased, and it made no
    >>difference. After I had done a compile, I shut down and immediately read the
    >>ICH temp and it was about 80C. Those all seem very high, but maybe that is
    >>the way the motherboard is designed. (the heatsink on the ICH is apparently
    >>preinstalled by Intel.)
    >>
    >>Anyone have any suggestions ( or maybe I should just stop worrying?)
    >>

    >I have a DG33TL with a Q9450 running 4 copies of seti@home 24/7, my room temp
    >hovers around 78-80F. With coretemp/gkrelm my highest core temp (always cpu
    >0) is around 57C.
    >Are you sure the heatsink/fan device is fully inserted? the "press to fit"
    >intel stock cooler can be hard to get installed correctly.
    >Another thought, do you have a 'thermally advantage' case? The one with the
    >hole in the side. I have that and a fan in the tube blowing down into the cpu
    >fan. I also have an exhaust fan on the rear and 2 smaller ones in front, one
    >blowing over the 2 HDD's and one below them. All in all, what i found is that
    >once the airflow is correct, (in's vs out's) the system settled down and got
    >reasonably quiet, and reasonably cool given the load.
    >Here's my current temps:
    > cpu0 56C 132F cpu1 53C 127F cpu2 51C 123F cpu3 51C 123
    > GPU 47c
    > SDA 33c, SDB 31c
    >You can get lm_sensors to give you the fans once the kernel is configured, it
    >depends on some module being loaded, and I havnt nailed down which it is. I
    >have had them show up in gkrelm at times, but I am using a downloaded 2.6.26
    >kernel. I changed something and the fan speeds got lost, I'm trying now to
    >get them back.
    >Oh, the lm_sensors I'm using is:
    >sensors version 2.10.4 with libsensors version 2.10.4
    >I tried downloading the latest version and compiling it, didnt seem to make
    >any difference.
    >33 chipset is still new
    > Eric

    You can also monitor the temperature in a text window & save the max
    value seen
    with a bash script; if the temperature appears in /proc/acpi/.. then a
    simpler script is
    possible but this one uses the sensors command.
    #!/bin/sh
    # CPT-A7N8X.sc; ASUS A7N8X MB: MDK07.1
    MXT=0
    while :
    do
    echo "**TEMP**"
    date +%T
    sensors | grep CPU | cut -c15-20
    TT= `sensors | grep CPU | cut -c15-16`
    if [ $TT -gt $MXT ] ; then
    MXT= $TT
    fi
    echo $MXT
    sleep 5
    done

  5. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Unruh wrote:

    > Eric writes:
    >
    >>Unruh wrote:

    >>> I have a DG33BU motherboard (ICH9 33BU chipset, core2 cpu)
    >>> I have installed lm-sensors and can get the two core temps, but I see
    >>> nothing else under gkrellm. Ie, no fan speeds, no motherboard
    >>> temperatures, no ICH temperatures. The bios gives all of those but of
    >>> course I cannot run the bios routines while running linux. I need to see
    >>> those temperatures.
    >>>
    >>> I am getting temp of 70C from the Intel Core lm-sensor when compiling the
    >>> kernel, which seems hot to me, but the mother board has been replaced, and
    >>> the heatsink has been reseated and thermal greased, and it made no
    >>> difference. After I had done a compile, I shut down and immediately read
    >>> the ICH temp and it was about 80C. Those all seem very high, but maybe
    >>> that is the way the motherboard is designed. (the heatsink on the ICH is
    >>> apparently preinstalled by Intel.)
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have any suggestions ( or maybe I should just stop worrying?)

    >>I have a DG33TL with a Q9450 running 4 copies of seti@home 24/7, my room
    >>temp hovers around 78-80F. With coretemp/gkrelm my highest core temp (always
    >>cpu 0) is around 57C.
    >>Are you sure the heatsink/fan device is fully inserted? the "press to fit"
    >>intel stock cooler can be hard to get installed correctly.
    >>Another thought, do you have a 'thermally advantage' case? The one with the
    >>hole in the side. I have that and a fan in the tube blowing down into the
    >>cpu fan. I also have an exhaust fan on the rear and 2 smaller ones in front,
    >>one blowing over the 2 HDD's and one below them. All in all, what i found is
    >>that once the airflow is correct, (in's vs out's) the system settled down
    >>and got reasonably quiet, and reasonably cool given the load.
    >>Here's my current temps:
    >> cpu0 56C 132F cpu1 53C 127F cpu2 51C 123F cpu3 51C 123
    >> GPU 47c
    >> SDA 33c, SDB 31c
    >>You can get lm_sensors to give you the fans once the kernel is configured,
    >>it depends on some module being loaded, and I havnt nailed down which it is.
    >>I have had them show up in gkrelm at times, but I am using a downloaded
    >>2.6.26 kernel. I changed something and the fan speeds got lost, I'm trying
    >>now to get them back.
    >>Oh, the lm_sensors I'm using is:
    >>sensors version 2.10.4 with libsensors version 2.10.4
    >>I tried downloading the latest version and compiling it, didnt seem to make
    >>any difference.
    >>33 chipset is still new
    >> Eric

    Try adding this line to /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors
    MODULE_x=max6650
    change the x to an unused digit
    That may or may not give you some fan speeds in lm_sensors
    Eric

  6. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    on Sunday 03 August 2008 06:04
    Eric wrote:

    [snip]
    > Oh, the lm_sensors I'm using is:
    > sensors version 2.10.4 with libsensors version 2.10.4
    > I tried downloading the latest version and compiling it, didnt seem to
    > make any difference.
    > 33 chipset is still new
    > Eric

    If you are using 2008.1 then version 3.0.1 is in the contrib
    repositories. You only need to, "urpmi lm_sensors3" as root.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  7. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Eric writes:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> Eric writes:

    >>>I have a DG33TL with a Q9450 running 4 copies of seti@home 24/7, my room
    >>>temp hovers around 78-80F. With coretemp/gkrelm my highest core temp (always
    >>>cpu 0) is around 57C.
    >>>Are you sure the heatsink/fan device is fully inserted? the "press to fit"
    >>>intel stock cooler can be hard to get installed correctly.
    >>>Another thought, do you have a 'thermally advantage' case? The one with the
    >>>hole in the side. I have that and a fan in the tube blowing down into the
    >>>cpu fan. I also have an exhaust fan on the rear and 2 smaller ones in front,
    >>>one blowing over the 2 HDD's and one below them. All in all, what i found is
    >>>that once the airflow is correct, (in's vs out's) the system settled down
    >>>and got reasonably quiet, and reasonably cool given the load.
    >>>Here's my current temps:
    >>> cpu0 56C 132F cpu1 53C 127F cpu2 51C 123F cpu3 51C 123
    >>> GPU 47c
    >>> SDA 33c, SDB 31c
    >>>You can get lm_sensors to give you the fans once the kernel is configured,
    >>>it depends on some module being loaded, and I havnt nailed down which it is.
    >>>I have had them show up in gkrelm at times, but I am using a downloaded
    >>>2.6.26 kernel. I changed something and the fan speeds got lost, I'm trying
    >>>now to get them back.
    >>>Oh, the lm_sensors I'm using is:
    >>>sensors version 2.10.4 with libsensors version 2.10.4
    >>>I tried downloading the latest version and compiling it, didnt seem to make
    >>>any difference.
    >>>33 chipset is still new
    >>> Eric

    >Try adding this line to /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors
    >MODULE_x=max6650
    >change the x to an unused digit
    >That may or may not give you some fan speeds in lm_sensors
    >Eric

    Nope. It does not seem to. (I assume I just have to reload lm_sensors- that
    module did load, but no fan speeds found)

  8. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    "Peter D." writes:

    >on Sunday 03 August 2008 06:04
    >in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    >Eric wrote:

    >[snip]
    >> Oh, the lm_sensors I'm using is:
    >> sensors version 2.10.4 with libsensors version 2.10.4
    >> I tried downloading the latest version and compiling it, didnt seem to
    >> make any difference.
    >> 33 chipset is still new
    >> Eric

    >If you are using 2008.1 then version 3.0.1 is in the contrib
    >repositories. You only need to, "urpmi lm_sensors3" as root.

    Unfortunately it makes no difference. The only think in sensors-detect is
    the lines

    Trying family `National Semiconductor'... Yes
    Found `Nat. Semi. PC8374L Super IO Sensors'
    (but not activated)

    >--
    >sig goes here...
    >Peter D.

  9. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Unruh wrote:

    > "Peter D." writes:
    >
    >>on Sunday 03 August 2008 06:04
    >>in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    >>Eric wrote:

    >>[snip]
    >>> Oh, the lm_sensors I'm using is:
    >>> sensors version 2.10.4 with libsensors version 2.10.4
    >>> I tried downloading the latest version and compiling it, didnt seem to
    >>> make any difference.
    >>> 33 chipset is still new
    >>> Eric

    >>If you are using 2008.1 then version 3.0.1 is in the contrib
    >>repositories. You only need to, "urpmi lm_sensors3" as root.

    > Unfortunately it makes no difference. The only think in sensors-detect is
    > the lines
    >

    > Trying family `National Semiconductor'... Yes
    > Found `Nat. Semi. PC8374L Super IO Sensors'
    > (but not activated)
    >

    >>--
    >>sig goes here...
    >>Peter D.

    I had this working for 4 fans, but something changed and i cant seem to get it
    back now. In my reading the super I/O isnt supported in lm_sensors yet due to
    the need for the Intel AMT api to be available, which i think it is at
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/openamt/
    I downloaded the source, compiled it and installed the heci.ko modules, but it
    doesnt do anything yet, i need to go through the source and see what is needed
    to talk to it and what kind of information can be gotten from it.
    Eric

  10. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Eric writes:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> "Peter D." writes:
    >>
    >>>on Sunday 03 August 2008 06:04
    >>>in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    >>>Eric wrote:

    >>>[snip]

    >>>If you are using 2008.1 then version 3.0.1 is in the contrib
    >>>repositories. You only need to, "urpmi lm_sensors3" as root.

    >> Unfortunately it makes no difference. The only think in sensors-detect is
    >> the lines
    >>

    >> Trying family `National Semiconductor'... Yes
    >> Found `Nat. Semi. PC8374L Super IO Sensors'
    >> (but not activated)
    >>

    >>>--
    >>>sig goes here...
    >>>Peter D.

    >I had this working for 4 fans, but something changed and i cant seem to get it
    >back now. In my reading the super I/O isnt supported in lm_sensors yet due to
    >the need for the Intel AMT api to be available, which i think it is at
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/openamt/
    >I downloaded the source, compiled it and installed the heci.ko modules, but it
    >doesnt do anything yet, i need to go through the source and see what is needed
    >to talk to it and what kind of information can be gotten from it.

    I downloaded the source but trying to compile heci got a load of errors--
    first was a "Change CFLAGS" error from scipts/Makefile.build in
    /usr/src/linux Then when I defined KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC and I got error
    messages from heci-main.c that the name component does not exist.

    This was for a 2.6.26 kernel-- I think things have changed recently.

    >Eric

  11. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Unruh wrote:

    > Eric writes:
    >
    >>Unruh wrote:

    >>> Unfortunately it makes no difference. The only think in sensors-detect is
    >>> the lines
    >>>

    >>> Trying family `National Semiconductor'... Yes
    >>> Found `Nat. Semi. PC8374L Super IO Sensors'
    >>> (but not activated)

    >>I had this working for 4 fans, but something changed and i cant seem to get
    >>it back now. In my reading the super I/O isnt supported in lm_sensors yet
    >>due to the need for the Intel AMT api to be available, which i think it is
    >>at
    >> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openamt/
    >>I downloaded the source, compiled it and installed the heci.ko modules, but
    >>it doesnt do anything yet, i need to go through the source and see what is
    >>needed to talk to it and what kind of information can be gotten from it.

    > I downloaded the source but trying to compile heci got a load of errors--
    > first was a "Change CFLAGS" error from scipts/Makefile.build in
    > /usr/src/linux Then when I defined KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC and I got error
    > messages from heci-main.c that the name component does not exist.
    >
    > This was for a 2.6.26 kernel-- I think things have changed recently.
    >

    >>Eric

    Interesting, i too am using the 2.6.26 kernel and i just downloaded the heci
    stuff and it compiled fine (I skipped the gui thing). Then i insmod'd the
    heci.ko and there it was, listed in lsmod. Next i tried useing the lms
    utility and it sort of works but /var/log/messages shows:
    LMS: Service started
    LMS: Cannot connect to AMT via HECI driver
    I havnt done anything since that failure.
    The lm_sensors people should know the amt sdk is available from intel now, and
    once they have that I believe they will develop a new version of lm_sensors
    that will support our boards.
    Read through this, i found it on google:
    http://groups.google.com/group/linux...54fc982ce20a31
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/openamt/
    Eric

  12. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Eric writes:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> Eric writes:

    >>>I had this working for 4 fans, but something changed and i cant seem to get
    >>>it back now. In my reading the super I/O isnt supported in lm_sensors yet
    >>>due to the need for the Intel AMT api to be available, which i think it is
    >>>at
    >>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openamt/
    >>>I downloaded the source, compiled it and installed the heci.ko modules, but
    >>>it doesnt do anything yet, i need to go through the source and see what is
    >>>needed to talk to it and what kind of information can be gotten from it.

    >> I downloaded the source but trying to compile heci got a load of errors--
    >> first was a "Change CFLAGS" error from scipts/Makefile.build in
    >> /usr/src/linux Then when I defined KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC and I got error
    >> messages from heci-main.c that the name component does not exist.
    >>
    >> This was for a 2.6.26 kernel-- I think things have changed recently.
    >>

    >>>Eric

    >Interesting, i too am using the 2.6.26 kernel and i just downloaded the heci
    >stuff and it compiled fine (I skipped the gui thing). Then i insmod'd the

    It turns out that Mandriva 2008.1 has heci module already compiled.
    No idea why I get those errors.

    >heci.ko and there it was, listed in lsmod. Next i tried useing the lms
    >utility and it sort of works but /var/log/messages shows:
    >LMS: Service started
    >LMS: Cannot connect to AMT via HECI driver

    Yup, that was what I got as well when I tried to install LMS.

    I also did the mknode to get a /dev/heci device but still got that same
    problem with LMS.

    >I havnt done anything since that failure.
    >The lm_sensors people should know the amt sdk is available from intel now, and
    >once they have that I believe they will develop a new version of lm_sensors
    >that will support our boards.
    >Read through this, i found it on google:
    >http://groups.google.com/group/linux...54fc982ce20a31
    >http://sourceforge.net/projects/openamt/
    >Eric

    Looks interesting. But heci has now been out almost a year, and lm_sensors
    seems not to heard of it. Worrysome.

  13. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Unruh wrote:

    > It turns out that Mandriva 2008.1 has heci module already compiled.
    > No idea why I get those errors.
    >

    >>heci.ko and there it was, listed in lsmod. Next i tried useing the lms
    >>utility and it sort of works but /var/log/messages shows:
    >>LMS: Service started
    >>LMS: Cannot connect to AMT via HECI driver

    > Yup, that was what I got as well when I tried to install LMS.
    >
    > I also did the mknode to get a /dev/heci device but still got that same
    > problem with LMS.
    >

    >>I havnt done anything since that failure.
    >>The lm_sensors people should know the amt sdk is available from intel now,
    >>and once they have that I believe they will develop a new version of
    >>lm_sensors that will support our boards.
    >>Read through this, i found it on google:
    >>http://groups.google.com/group/linux...54fc982ce20a31
    >>http://sourceforge.net/projects/openamt/
    >>Eric

    > Looks interesting. But heci has now been out almost a year, and lm_sensors
    > seems not to heard of it. Worrysome.

    Report! We are talking about open source software, your/our software.
    And if you know how to play with C source code, you can even contribute to
    this community project with your own patches and see your name in the list.

    I tried contributing in a few other FOSS projects and its works. There is a
    real interactions between the coders and the occasional patch submitters
    and the everyday users. Even in Mandrivalinux and other distributions you
    can send patches and bugs report or maintain your own rpm packages in the
    contrib repository.

  14. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Amrein-Marie Christophe writes:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> It turns out that Mandriva 2008.1 has heci module already compiled.
    >> No idea why I get those errors.
    >>

    >>>heci.ko and there it was, listed in lsmod. Next i tried useing the lms
    >>>utility and it sort of works but /var/log/messages shows:
    >>>LMS: Service started
    >>>LMS: Cannot connect to AMT via HECI driver

    >> Yup, that was what I got as well when I tried to install LMS.
    >>
    >> I also did the mknode to get a /dev/heci device but still got that same
    >> problem with LMS.
    >>

    >>>I havnt done anything since that failure.
    >>>The lm_sensors people should know the amt sdk is available from intel now,
    >>>and once they have that I believe they will develop a new version of
    >>>lm_sensors that will support our boards.
    >>>Read through this, i found it on google:
    >>>http://groups.google.com/group/linux...54fc982ce20a31
    >>>http://sourceforge.net/projects/openamt/
    >>>Eric

    >> Looks interesting. But heci has now been out almost a year, and lm_sensors
    >> seems not to heard of it. Worrysome.

    >Report! We are talking about open source software, your/our software.
    >And if you know how to play with C source code, you can even contribute to
    >this community project with your own patches and see your name in the list.

    Yes, I know. I have done so a number of times-- the most recent finding an
    ancient but in tcpwrappers. However, to contribute you have to spend a fair
    amount of time getting up to speed on how the system works. lm_sensors and
    HECI are both sufficiently complicated that it would take me weeks to get
    up to speed on them.

    >I tried contributing in a few other FOSS projects and its works. There is a
    >real interactions between the coders and the occasional patch submitters
    >and the everyday users. Even in Mandrivalinux and other distributions you
    >can send patches and bugs report or maintain your own rpm packages in the
    >contrib repository.

    Look for my name in the Mandriva bug reports.

  15. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Unruh wrote:

    > I have a DG33BU motherboard (ICH9 33BU chipset, core2 cpu)
    > I have installed lm-sensors and can get the two core temps, but I see
    > nothing else under gkrellm. Ie, no fan speeds, no motherboard
    > temperatures, no ICH temperatures. The bios gives all of those but of
    > course I cannot run the bios routines while running linux. I need to see
    > those temperatures.
    >
    > I am getting temp of 70C from the Intel Core lm-sensor when compiling the
    > kernel, which seems hot to me, but the mother board has been replaced, and
    > the heatsink has been reseated and thermal greased, and it made no
    > difference. After I had done a compile, I shut down and immediately read
    > the ICH temp and it was about 80C. Those all seem very high, but maybe
    > that is the way the motherboard is designed. (the heatsink on the ICH is
    > apparently preinstalled by Intel.)
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions ( or maybe I should just stop worrying?)

    Something is wrong with your CPU temperatures.
    Here, with a Core 2 Duo 6750: 35 C.

    Have a look in the BIOS for the temperature. Have you used "thermal paste"
    for Inter processor (I don't know how to translate "pate thermique" from
    French). Your BIOS is already up-to-date?

  16. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Unruh wrote:

    >>I tried contributing in a few other FOSS projects and its works. There is
    >>a real interactions between the coders and the occasional patch submitters
    >>and the everyday users. Even in Mandrivalinux and other distributions you
    >>can send patches and bugs report or maintain your own rpm packages in the
    >>contrib repository.

    > Look for my name in the Mandriva bug reports.

    Yes, but they are not lm_sensors expert (and you filled a bug about an other
    issue or the old one is closed because I can't find it). You should
    submit your bug report upstream (lm_sensors website).
    I know this is frustrating. I had this kind of issue with my old PC. I had
    to correct the driver issue with simples changes in the lm_sensors
    configuration generated file: the default sensors-detect output was buggy
    (two drivers for the same sensor). I didn't report because I have had a
    fix. I waited one year (3 Mandrakelinux release) before an upstream fix.

    Why do I think Mandriva won't fix it:

    - It's in Contrib (user contribution)
    - Most users don't use lm_sensors and don't know about this tool (as for
    ksensors in KDE, gnome sensors gkrellm in Gnome...).
    - Most other sensors are detected and works out of the box (4 PC here, 4
    different sensors, 4 sensors that works with lm_sensors)

    Regards

  17. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:

    > Unruh wrote:
    >
    >>>I tried contributing in a few other FOSS projects and its works. There is
    >>>a real interactions between the coders and the occasional patch
    >>>submitters and the everyday users. Even in Mandrivalinux and other
    >>>distributions you can send patches and bugs report or maintain your own
    >>>rpm packages in the contrib repository.

    >> Look for my name in the Mandriva bug reports.

    > Yes, but they are not lm_sensors expert (and you filled a bug about an
    > other issue or the old one is closed because I can't find it). You
    > should submit your bug report upstream (lm_sensors website).
    > I know this is frustrating. I had this kind of issue with my old PC. I had
    > to correct the driver issue with simples changes in the lm_sensors
    > configuration generated file: the default sensors-detect output was buggy
    > (two drivers for the same sensor). I didn't report because I have had a
    > fix. I waited one year (3 Mandrakelinux release) before an upstream fix.
    >
    > Why do I think Mandriva won't fix it:
    >
    > - It's in Contrib (user contribution)
    > - Most users don't use lm_sensors and don't know about this tool (as for
    > ksensors in KDE, gnome sensors gkrellm in Gnome...).
    > - Most other sensors are detected and works out of the box (4 PC here, 4
    > different sensors, 4 sensors that works with lm_sensors)
    >

    > Regards

    http://www.lm-sensors.org/ticket/2134

  18. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:

    > Unruh wrote:
    >
    >>>I tried contributing in a few other FOSS projects and its works. There is
    >>>a real interactions between the coders and the occasional patch
    >>>submitters and the everyday users. Even in Mandrivalinux and other
    >>>distributions you can send patches and bugs report or maintain your own
    >>>rpm packages in the contrib repository.

    >> Look for my name in the Mandriva bug reports.

    > Yes, but they are not lm_sensors expert (and you filled a bug about an
    > other issue or the old one is closed because I can't find it). You
    > should submit your bug report upstream (lm_sensors website).
    > I know this is frustrating. I had this kind of issue with my old PC. I had
    > to correct the driver issue with simples changes in the lm_sensors
    > configuration generated file: the default sensors-detect output was buggy
    > (two drivers for the same sensor). I didn't report because I have had a
    > fix. I waited one year (3 Mandrakelinux release) before an upstream fix.
    >
    > Why do I think Mandriva won't fix it:
    >
    > - It's in Contrib (user contribution)
    > - Most users don't use lm_sensors and don't know about this tool (as for
    > ksensors in KDE, gnome sensors gkrellm in Gnome...).
    > - Most other sensors are detected and works out of the box (4 PC here, 4
    > different sensors, 4 sensors that works with lm_sensors)
    >

    > Regards

    Have a look here, you will understand why it doesn't work:

    http://www.lm-sensors.org/ticket/2134

    --------8< -----
    Thanks for all the information. All in all this is rather good news. As it
    seems that Intel is working on getting their HECI support code merged into
    the kernel, and that they are aware that some people need it (and possibly
    some additional code) to read their sensors, I don't think that there's any
    point in further harassing Anas. I'd just wait for them to be done with
    their side of the work. After that, if they need our help to complete the
    sensors support, they could send us one of their motherboards so that we
    have some hardware to test our work.
    --------8< -----

  19. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Amrein-Marie Christophe writes:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> I have a DG33BU motherboard (ICH9 33BU chipset, core2 cpu)
    >> I have installed lm-sensors and can get the two core temps, but I see
    >> nothing else under gkrellm. Ie, no fan speeds, no motherboard
    >> temperatures, no ICH temperatures. The bios gives all of those but of
    >> course I cannot run the bios routines while running linux. I need to see
    >> those temperatures.
    >>
    >> I am getting temp of 70C from the Intel Core lm-sensor when compiling the
    >> kernel, which seems hot to me, but the mother board has been replaced, and
    >> the heatsink has been reseated and thermal greased, and it made no
    >> difference. After I had done a compile, I shut down and immediately read
    >> the ICH temp and it was about 80C. Those all seem very high, but maybe
    >> that is the way the motherboard is designed. (the heatsink on the ICH is
    >> apparently preinstalled by Intel.)
    >>
    >> Anyone have any suggestions ( or maybe I should just stop worrying?)

    >Something is wrong with your CPU temperatures.
    >Here, with a Core 2 Duo 6750: 35 C.

    >Have a look in the BIOS for the temperature. Have you used "thermal paste"
    >for Inter processor (I don't know how to translate "pate thermique" from
    >French). Your BIOS is already up-to-date?

    Yes, and Yes. Note that at rest the cpu is around 38-40, but if I compile a
    kernel it is at 70. And the chipset temp is around 80 if I shut down and
    immediately look at the bios after a comile. Unfortunately the lm_sensors
    people are really really slow in incorporating the new intel temp/fan
    sensors into the package.

  20. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Amrein-Marie Christophe writes:

    >>> Look for my name in the Mandriva bug reports.

    >> Yes, but they are not lm_sensors expert (and you filled a bug about an
    >> other issue or the old one is closed because I can't find it). You
    >> should submit your bug report upstream (lm_sensors website).
    >> I know this is frustrating. I had this kind of issue with my old PC. I had
    >> to correct the driver issue with simples changes in the lm_sensors
    >> configuration generated file: the default sensors-detect output was buggy
    >> (two drivers for the same sensor). I didn't report because I have had a
    >> fix. I waited one year (3 Mandrakelinux release) before an upstream fix.
    >>
    >> Why do I think Mandriva won't fix it:
    >>
    >> - It's in Contrib (user contribution)
    >> - Most users don't use lm_sensors and don't know about this tool (as for
    >> ksensors in KDE, gnome sensors gkrellm in Gnome...).
    >> - Most other sensors are detected and works out of the box (4 PC here, 4
    >> different sensors, 4 sensors that works with lm_sensors)
    >>

    >> Regards

    >http://www.lm-sensors.org/ticket/2134

    That is now 8 months old, heci is included in the Mandriva 2008.1 kernel,
    but still no support. Trying to use the LMS from the openamp website, it
    just says it cannot connect to HECI.

    And the lm_sensors people clearly do NOT want any bug reports. They have
    made the reporting of bugs so incredibly difficult and opaque that only the
    most dedicated will figure it out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast