Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard? - Mandriva ; Amrein-Marie Christophe writes: >Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote: >> Unruh wrote: >> >>>>I tried contributing in a few other FOSS projects and its works. There is >>>>a real interactions between the coders and the occasional patch >>>>submitters and the everyday users. Even ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Amrein-Marie Christophe writes:

    >>> Look for my name in the Mandriva bug reports.

    >> Yes, but they are not lm_sensors expert (and you filled a bug about an
    >> other issue or the old one is closed because I can't find it). You
    >> should submit your bug report upstream (lm_sensors website).
    >> I know this is frustrating. I had this kind of issue with my old PC. I had
    >> to correct the driver issue with simples changes in the lm_sensors
    >> configuration generated file: the default sensors-detect output was buggy
    >> (two drivers for the same sensor). I didn't report because I have had a
    >> fix. I waited one year (3 Mandrakelinux release) before an upstream fix.
    >>
    >> Why do I think Mandriva won't fix it:
    >>
    >> - It's in Contrib (user contribution)
    >> - Most users don't use lm_sensors and don't know about this tool (as for
    >> ksensors in KDE, gnome sensors gkrellm in Gnome...).
    >> - Most other sensors are detected and works out of the box (4 PC here, 4
    >> different sensors, 4 sensors that works with lm_sensors)
    >>

    >> Regards

    >Have a look here, you will understand why it doesn't work:

    >http://www.lm-sensors.org/ticket/2134

    >--------8< -----
    >Thanks for all the information. All in all this is rather good news. As it
    >seems that Intel is working on getting their HECI support code merged into
    >the kernel, and that they are aware that some people need it (and possibly
    >some additional code) to read their sensors, I don't think that there's any
    >point in further harassing Anas. I'd just wait for them to be done with
    >their side of the work. After that, if they need our help to complete the
    >sensors support, they could send us one of their motherboards so that we
    >have some hardware to test our work.
    >--------8< -----

    heci support IS in the kernel. It is installed in Mandriva 2008.1
    And heci has not had any developement in 5 months.

  2. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Unruh wrote:

    > heci support IS in the kernel. It is installed in Mandriva 2008.1
    > And heci has not had any developement in 5 months.

    Have you got any influence (or someone around you) on Intel? Without help
    from them, apparently, lm_sensors guys won't be able to help.

    It's like asking NVidia to release opensource drivers...

    Intel is more opensource though. But only one Intel developer is maintaining
    this kernel driver, and no patches has been sent to lm_sensors group,
    incomplete and useless specifications are available on the net, no
    motherboard provided to test or do reverse engineering.

    Well... Do you want to send your own motherboard?

    Bad joke, I know. I just hope that it won't take to much time for the Intel
    dev to finish his works. There won't be miracle or god gift here.

  3. Re: Temp/fan monioring on Intel DG33BU motherboard?

    Amrein-Marie Christophe writes:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> heci support IS in the kernel. It is installed in Mandriva 2008.1
    >> And heci has not had any developement in 5 months.

    >Have you got any influence (or someone around you) on Intel? Without help
    >from them, apparently, lm_sensors guys won't be able to help.

    a) The postings were from 2007. Heci has been out for half a year now and
    is public source. LMS is also out ( mind you it does not seem to work). Ie,
    there is a public open source driver to connect with the bios stuff that
    the Intel machine connects to.

    While I understand the need for a motherboard, it really should not be that
    tough to do at the present time.

    Note if they want tosend me things to try, I am willing to try them on my
    machine (DG33BU Intel motherboard)

    >It's like asking NVidia to release opensource drivers...

    >Intel is more opensource though. But only one Intel developer is maintaining
    >this kernel driver, and no patches has been sent to lm_sensors group,
    >incomplete and useless specifications are available on the net, no
    >motherboard provided to test or do reverse engineering.

    >Well... Do you want to send your own motherboard?

    >Bad joke, I know. I just hope that it won't take to much time for the Intel
    >dev to finish his works. There won't be miracle or god gift here.

    I suspect he thinks he has finished his work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2