i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008.. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008.. - Mandriva ; i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008.. First , i started MCC and drakprinter, installed all cups packages and epson task printing, the printer got installed ok, then i choose send test page, but all ...

  1. i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..

    i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..
    First , i started MCC and drakprinter, installed all cups packages and
    epson task printing, the printer got installed ok, then i choose send
    test page, but all i got was garbage (----------
    wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww00000000000000000)
    I tried several drivers for my stylus pro, stcolor, gutenprint...
    I tried installing from WWW CUPS, kdeControlCenter, Drakprinter, even
    Webmin, but still got garbage.
    This printer works OK on Mandriva 2006 (using foomatic/stcolor
    driver) , and mandrake 9.1(cups+gimp print), but i can't make it work
    on mdv2008...
    any ideas?
    Thanks

  2. Re: i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:48:17 -0400, wrote:

    > i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..

    Which Epson Stylus Pro, XL, or 9000? Shouldn't matter though, but
    it's a good idea to provide specifics, as someone else may have the
    same printer.

    Both printers recommend the gutenprint driver,
    http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...-Stylus_Pro_XL

    Note the comments "don't forget to enable weaving".

    The version of gutenprint provided with 2008.0 is 5.0.1, while with
    2008.1, it's 5.0.2 (the latest stable release).

    http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/ shows the various versions, with
    a short summary of the changes. You could try manually installing
    the 5.0.2 version, or perhaps the 5.2.0-beta3 from
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...?group_id=1537

    What's your experience level like with installing packages from
    source?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..

    On Jul 12, 6:04 pm, "David W. Hodgins"
    wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:48:17 -0400, wrote:
    > > ican'tsetupmy EpsonStylusProprinter onmandriva2008..

    > Which EpsonStylusPro, XL, or 9000? Shouldn't matter though, but
    > it's a good idea to provide specifics, as someone else may have the
    > same printer.
    >
    > Both printers recommend the gutenprint driver,http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...-Stylus_Pro_XL
    >
    > Note the comments "don't forget to enable weaving".
    >
    > The version of gutenprint provided with 2008.0 is 5.0.1, while with
    > 2008.1, it's 5.0.2 (the latest stable release).
    >
    > http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/shows the various versions, with
    > a short summary of the changes. You could try manually installing
    > the 5.0.2 version, or perhaps the 5.2.0-beta3 fromhttp://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1537
    >
    > What's your experience level like with installing packages from
    > source?
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >
    > --
    > Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    > (nomail.afraid.org has beensetupspecifically for
    > use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

    I downloaded gimp-print-4.2.7.tar.gz, followed the instructions to
    compile with foomatic support (configure, make , make install), i
    could not compile with cups support, error: can not find libcups -
    lcups or something like that ( i don't know why 'cause libcups.so.2 in
    on /usr/lib/cups).
    Then i started printerdrake and choose the gimp print driver for
    Stylus Color Pro. Evertything ok. Then send test page and nothing. I
    checked cups state: /usr/lib/cups foomatic-rip failed..
    any ideas?
    thanks

  4. Re: i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:26:47 -0400, wrote:

    > I downloaded gimp-print-4.2.7.tar.gz, followed the instructions to

    I already replied to the copy of this message I received in email.
    I'll append my response here, for future refererence, for any lurkers.

    Gimp Print was originally a part of the gimp project for getting graphic
    images to print from the gimp "Graphical Image Manipulation Program".

    The gimp-print-4.2.7 package is from 2004.

    The project was seperated from the gimp development project, and
    renamed gutenprint, with it's first release in 2006. The version
    of gutenprint provided with Mandriva 2008.0, 5.0.1 was released
    in June 2007.

    The latest stable version of gutenprint, 5.0.2 was released last
    January, with the latest beta, 5.2.0-beta2, being released last
    March.

    I would install either 5.02. If that doesn't work, the try 5.2.0-beta2.

    > could not compile with cups support, error: can not
    > find libcups -
    > lcups or something like that ( i don't know why 'cause
    > libcups.so.2 in
    > on /usr/lib/cups).

    Whenever you're compiling, and get something not found, it's important
    to copy/paste the exact error.

    urpmf /usr/lib/libcups
    libcups2:/usr/lib/libcups.so.2
    libcups2:/usr/lib/libcupsimage.so.2
    cupsddk:/usr/lib/libcupsdriver.a
    libcups2:/usr/lib/libcups.so.2
    libcups2:/usr/lib/libcupsimage.so.2
    libcups2-devel:/usr/lib/libcups.a
    libcups2-devel:/usr/lib/libcups.so
    libcups2-devel:/usr/lib/libcupsimage.a
    libcups2-devel:/usr/lib/libcupsimage.so
    libcups2:/usr/lib/libcups.so.2
    libcups2:/usr/lib/libcupsimage.so.2

    Most likely you need to install libcups2-devel.

    > any ideas?

    Install the libcups2-devel, and then try again with
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gim...3&big_mirror=1

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..

    aldoba2001@yahoo.com.ar wrote:

    > i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..
    > First , i started MCC and drakprinter, installed all cups packages and
    > epson task printing, the printer got installed ok, then i choose send
    > test page, but all i got was garbage (----------
    > wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww00000000000000000)
    > I tried several drivers for my stylus pro, stcolor, gutenprint...
    > I tried installing from WWW CUPS, kdeControlCenter, Drakprinter, even
    > Webmin, but still got garbage.
    > This printer works OK on Mandriva 2006 (using foomatic/stcolor
    > driver) , and mandrake 9.1(cups+gimp print), but i can't make it work
    > on mdv2008...
    > any ideas?
    > Thanks

    Try: http://avasys.jp/hp/menu000000500/hpg000000442.htm

    Regards

    Alan

  6. Re: i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > aldoba2001@yahoo.com.ar wrote:
    >
    >> i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..
    >> First , i started MCC and drakprinter, installed all cups packages and
    >> epson task printing, the printer got installed ok, then i choose send
    >> test page, but all i got was garbage (----------
    >> wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww00000000000000000)
    >> I tried several drivers for my stylus pro, stcolor, gutenprint...
    >> I tried installing from WWW CUPS, kdeControlCenter, Drakprinter, even
    >> Webmin, but still got garbage.
    >> This printer works OK on Mandriva 2006 (using foomatic/stcolor
    >> driver) , and mandrake 9.1(cups+gimp print), but i can't make it work
    >> on mdv2008...
    >> any ideas?
    >> Thanks

    > Try: http://avasys.jp/hp/menu000000500/hpg000000442.htm
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Alan

    I have to use downloaded drivers for my Brother printer, so this could very
    well help the OP, if the latest gimp-print doesn't.

    Doug.

  7. Re: i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..

    On 13 jul, 15:22, Alan Secker wrote:
    > aldoba2...@yahoo.com.ar wrote:
    > > i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..
    > > First , i started MCC and drakprinter, installed all cups packages and
    > > epson task printing, the printer got installed ok, then i choose send
    > > test page, but all i got was garbage (----------
    > > wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww00000000000000000)
    > > I tried several drivers for my stylus pro, stcolor, gutenprint...
    > > I tried installing from WWW CUPS, kdeControlCenter, Drakprinter, even
    > > Webmin, but still got garbage.
    > > This printer works OK on Mandriva 2006 (using foomatic/stcolor
    > > driver) , and mandrake 9.1(cups+gimp print), but i can't make it work
    > > on mdv2008...
    > > any ideas?
    > > Thanks

    > Try: http://avasys.jp/hp/menu000000500/hpg000000442.htm
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Alan

    there are lots of epson drivers, but not for stylus pro, anyway i
    tried the sc480 driver, even printerdrake found on the database
    driver, the printer started but no printing....
    thanks

  8. Re: i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..

    On 13 jul, 15:10, "David W. Hodgins"
    wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:26:47 -0400, wrote:
    > > I downloaded gimp-print-4.2.7.tar.gz, followed the instructions to

    > I already replied to the copy of this message I received in email.
    > I'll append my response here, for future refererence, for any lurkers.
    >
    > Gimp Print was originally a part of the gimp project for getting graphic
    > images to print from the gimp "Graphical Image Manipulation Program".
    >
    > The gimp-print-4.2.7 package is from 2004.
    >
    > The project was seperated from the gimp development project, and
    > renamed gutenprint, with it's first release in 2006. The version
    > of gutenprint provided with Mandriva 2008.0, 5.0.1 was released
    > in June 2007.
    >
    > The latest stable version of gutenprint, 5.0.2 was released last
    > January, with the latest beta, 5.2.0-beta2, being released last
    > March.
    >
    > I would install either 5.02. If that doesn't work, the try 5.2.0-beta2.
    >
    > > could not compile with cups support, error: can not
    > > find libcups -
    > > lcups or something like that ( i don't know why 'cause
    > > libcups.so.2 in
    > > on /usr/lib/cups).

    > Whenever you're compiling, and get something not found, it's important
    > to copy/paste the exact error.
    >
    > urpmf /usr/lib/libcups
    > libcups2:/usr/lib/libcups.so.2
    > libcups2:/usr/lib/libcupsimage.so.2
    > cupsddk:/usr/lib/libcupsdriver.a
    > libcups2:/usr/lib/libcups.so.2
    > libcups2:/usr/lib/libcupsimage.so.2
    > libcups2-devel:/usr/lib/libcups.a
    > libcups2-devel:/usr/lib/libcups.so
    > libcups2-devel:/usr/lib/libcupsimage.a
    > libcups2-devel:/usr/lib/libcupsimage.so
    > libcups2:/usr/lib/libcups.so.2
    > libcups2:/usr/lib/libcupsimage.so.2
    >
    > Most likely you need to install libcups2-devel.
    >
    > > any ideas?

    > Install the libcups2-devel, and then try again withhttp://downloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-print/gutenprint-5.0.2.tar.bz2?...
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >
    > --
    > Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    > (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    > use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

    the linuxprinting link you posted suggested omni drivers too, so i
    tested the rpm from sourceforge, installed them, started printerdrake,
    pick the omni driver for stylus pro, everything ok...so i send the
    test page, it started printing okˇˇ the testpage..then ...stopped...
    Well at least this is the closest one...it printed just one inch of
    page...
    cups state: gpl ghostscrip failed or foomatic failed...

  9. Re: i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..

    aldoba2001@yahoo.com.ar wrote:

    > i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..

    Notwithstanding my earlier advice.

    When I purchased an Epson stylus CX6400 a coule of years ago, I too had
    trouble getting it t work. Hence the reference to the Avasys site. These
    days however, I have no trouble under Mandriva 2008.0 or 2008.1 using
    gutenprint installed from # rpmdrake. As stated elsewhere, the version
    packaged with 2008.01 is 5.0.2. It supports Epson Stylus Pro_5000 to 10000
    and XL. I trust that this includes your model

    Before trying it (maybe again), I would clear out the dregs of what you
    have already tried and only use an rpm to install. If necessary using urpmi.

    It may amuse you to hear that despite my success with Linux, the CX6400 will
    not perform with Window guests under vmware. It's probably the USB
    limitations. I have wasted so much time on this I am hoping it will prove
    cheaper to have ordered a Brother MFC-845CW (only 85 quid as it is
    technically obsolete) but it has both ethernet and wireless interfaces! It
    uses the same cartridges as the latest model so I should be O.K. for a
    while!

    Oh! for useful info, search Google with "Epson Stylus Pro PPD file".

    Best of luck. Alan

  10. Re: i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 17:56:43 -0400, Alan Secker wrote:

    > It may amuse you to hear that despite my success with Linux, the CX6400 will
    > not perform with Window guests under vmware. It's probably the USB
    > limitations. I have wasted so much time on this I am hoping it will prove

    For a usb device to be avaiable to a vm guest, it must not be on use on the
    host system. That means stopping cups, and unloading the usblp kernel module,
    before starting the vm application.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  11. Re: i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..

    On Jul 12, 2:48 pm, aldoba2...@yahoo.com.ar wrote:
    > i can't set up my EpsonStylusProprinter onmandriva2008..
    > First , i started MCC and drakprinter, installed all cups packages and
    > epson task printing, the printer got installed ok, then i choose send
    > test page, but all i got was garbage (----------
    > wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww00000000000000000)
    > I tried several drivers for mystyluspro, stcolor, gutenprint...
    > I tried installing from WWW CUPS, kdeControlCenter, Drakprinter, even
    > Webmin, but still got garbage.
    > This printer works OK onMandriva2006 (using foomatic/stcolor
    > driver) , and mandrake 9.1(cups+gimp print), but i can't make it work
    > on mdv2008...
    > any ideas?
    > Thanks

    well, i did several clean install of mdv2008 assuming that i was doing
    something wrong, i tried only mdv rpms even..no sucess..
    so, i download mandriva 2007 spring and installed, i noticed that cups
    server is installed from the beginning...
    i booted the first time, start drakprinter, pick stylus pro stcolor
    driver and that is all, it is working now, printing great!...
    thanks

  12. Re: i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..

    aldoba2001@yahoo.com.ar wrote:

    > On Jul 12, 2:48 pm, aldoba2...@yahoo.com.ar wrote:
    >> i can't set up my EpsonStylusProprinter onmandriva2008..
    >> First , i started MCC and drakprinter, installed all cups packages and
    >> epson task printing, the printer got installed ok, then i choose send
    >> test page, but all i got was garbage (----------
    >> wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww00000000000000000)
    >> I tried several drivers for mystyluspro, stcolor, gutenprint...
    >> I tried installing from WWW CUPS, kdeControlCenter, Drakprinter, even
    >> Webmin, but still got garbage.
    >> This printer works OK onMandriva2006 (using foomatic/stcolor
    >> driver) , and mandrake 9.1(cups+gimp print), but i can't make it work
    >> on mdv2008...
    >> any ideas?
    >> Thanks

    > well, i did several clean install of mdv2008 assuming that i was doing
    > something wrong, i tried only mdv rpms even..no sucess..
    > so, i download mandriva 2007 spring and installed, i noticed that cups
    > server is installed from the beginning...
    > i booted the first time, start drakprinter, pick stylus pro stcolor
    > driver and that is all, it is working now, printing great!...
    > thanks

    For me, 2007.1 was one of the best Mandriva release (with 2008.1, 10.1, 9.1,
    8.2 with updates).

    You installed 2008.0 or 2008.1? If you installed 2008.0, did you get the
    cups update from 2008.0 repository?

  13. Re: i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..

    On Aug 11, 3:40 pm, Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:
    > aldoba2...@yahoo.com.ar wrote:
    > > On Jul 12, 2:48 pm, aldoba2...@yahoo.com.ar wrote:
    > >> i can't set up my EpsonStylusProprinter onmandriva2008..
    > >> First , i started MCC and drakprinter, installed all cups packages and
    > >> epson task printing, the printer got installed ok, then i choose send
    > >> test page, but all i got was garbage (----------
    > >> wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww00000000000000000)
    > >> I tried several drivers for mystyluspro, stcolor, gutenprint...
    > >> I tried installing from WWW CUPS, kdeControlCenter, Drakprinter, even
    > >> Webmin, but still got garbage.
    > >> This printer works OK onMandriva2006 (using foomatic/stcolor
    > >> driver) , and mandrake 9.1(cups+gimp print), but i can't make it work
    > >> on mdv2008...
    > >> any ideas?
    > >> Thanks

    > > well, i did several clean install of mdv2008 assuming that i was doing
    > > something wrong, i tried only mdv rpms even..no sucess..
    > > so, i downloadmandriva2007 spring and installed, i noticed that cups
    > > server is installed from the beginning...
    > > i booted the first time, start drakprinter, pickstylusprostcolor
    > > driver and that is all, it is working now, printing great!...
    > > thanks

    > For me, 2007.1 was one of the bestMandrivarelease (with 2008.1, 10.1, 9.1,
    > 8.2 with updates).
    >
    > You installed 2008.0 or 2008.1? If you installed 2008.0, did you get the
    > cups update from 2008.0 repository?

    yes, i got the cups update, no success.
    now i downloaded Mandriva 2008 spring , installed StylusPro Epson
    printer, send testpage ...nothing...so i reboot...then it started
    printing... garbage..same stuff i had with mandriva 2008.0. So , right
    now i 'm sticking to my mandriva 2007 spring, printer works great..

  14. Re: i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..

    aldoba2001@yahoo.com.ar wrote:

    > EpsonStylusPro

    Don't forget to report your issue on http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net and
    http://www.cups.org or it won't be fixed in next releases.

  15. Re: i can't set up my Epson Stylus Pro printer on mandriva 2008..

    On Sep 12, 5:06 pm, Amrein-Marie Christophe wrote:
    > aldoba2...@yahoo.com.ar wrote:
    > > EpsonStylusPro

    > Don't forget to report your issue onhttp://gimp-print.sourceforge.netandhttp://www.cups.orgor it won't be fixed in next releases.

    i am not sure about this being a cups or driver issue. Stylus Pro
    doesn't work on Mandriva 2008 (cups 1.3.0) and 2008.1 (cups 1.3.6) but
    it does work perfectly on Ubuntu 8.04.1 (cups 1.3.7). I will try
    mandriva 2009 (cups 1.3.8 i think so..) and hopefully this issue will
    be solved...

+ Reply to Thread