MDV2008/1 wastes another MDV2008/1: buuuh! - Mandriva

This is a discussion on MDV2008/1 wastes another MDV2008/1: buuuh! - Mandriva ; By more ten years I have had two Mandrake/iva on the pc, with boot by GAG, with frequent copy&paste for archives sinchronization (documents, images, downloaded, mails, news, bookmarks and so on). The installations have ever done in the same manner ...

  1. MDV2008/1 wastes another MDV2008/1: buuuh!

    By more ten years I have had two Mandrake/iva on the pc, with boot by
    GAG, with frequent copy&paste for archives sinchronization (documents,
    images, downloaded, mails, news, bookmarks and so on). The installations
    have ever done in the same manner and ever all has been right.
    Last time I have had on a 2008/0 and a 20081 Cooker, and all quiet,
    since is published the 2008/1 Spring: I download it and install on the
    2008/0's partition, I sinchronize all as wrighted over and how I ever
    done, but ... bang! : in the new inst all is again right, but the other
    inst, the old 2008/1 Cooker, cannot boot, the UUID says something bad and
    I, seventy old newbie, cannot do other against a bad destiny.
    The thing has repeated in the last two weeks, with and without
    and in the options of the partitions, with filesystem reiserfs
    and ext3, and ... with fat32 and ntfs in the Win partitions (but with
    these last partitions without dammages). At least I understand that the
    MDV 2008/1 Spring or Cooker has the filesystem (or another essential
    something) wasted by a simple copy&paste done by, and only by, another
    2008/1, Spring or Cooker; with a 2008/0 and a 2008/0 is ever all right.
    Someone knows the why, and how solve the problem? I have only the
    problem, I've not the solution, sorry.
    Tnx

  2. Re: MDV2008/1 wastes another MDV2008/1: buuuh!

    On Wednesday 18 June 2008 13:06, someone who identifies as *phil* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > By more ten years I have had two Mandrake/iva on the pc, with boot by
    > GAG, with frequent copy&paste for archives sinchronization (documents,
    > images, downloaded, mails, news, bookmarks and so on). The installations
    > have ever done in the same manner and ever all has been right.
    > Last time I have had on a 2008/0 and a 20081 Cooker, and all quiet,
    > since is published the 2008/1 Spring: I download it and install on the
    > 2008/0's partition, I sinchronize all as wrighted over and how I ever
    > done, but ... bang! : in the new inst all is again right, but the other
    > inst, the old 2008/1 Cooker, cannot boot, the UUID says something bad and
    > I, seventy old newbie, cannot do other against a bad destiny.

    The UUID is a code that identifies the filesystem. If you reformat a
    partition, a new filesystem is created and thus it will have a new UUID,
    which will of course lead to all kinds of problems with regard to
    bootloaders and partition mounts. Presumably you've reformatted a
    partition that was needed by the Cooker install at boot time - */boot*
    perhaps, or maybe the root filesystem?

    Another option could be that the Cooker install is looking for its kernel in
    a different place now due to some bad symlink, and thus cannot find its
    kernel on the filesystem you specified as being the root filesystem (or
    */boot*) due to the UUID issues, which still point to the old root
    filesystem, i.e. the one on which it _expects_ to find its kernel.

    > The thing has repeated in the last two weeks, with and without
    > and in the options of the partitions, with filesystem reiserfs
    > and ext3, and ... with fat32 and ntfs in the Win partitions (but with
    > these last partitions without dammages).

    I don't think the mounting options are an issue.

    > At least I understand that the MDV 2008/1 Spring or Cooker has the
    > filesystem (or another essential something) wasted by a simple copy&paste
    > done by, and only by, another 2008/1, Spring or Cooker; with a 2008/0 and
    > a 2008/0 is ever all right.

    Now that seems quite far-fetched to me... :-/

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: MDV2008/1 wastes another MDV2008/1: buuuh!

    Il Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:36:48 +0200, Aragorn ha scritto:

    > The UUID is a code that identifies the filesystem. If you reformat a
    > partition, a new filesystem is created and thus it will have a new UUID,
    > which will of course lead to all kinds of problems with regard to
    > bootloaders and partition mounts. Presumably you've reformatted a
    > partition that was needed by the Cooker install at boot time - */boot*
    > perhaps, or maybe the root filesystem?

    Yes, if I do so, right. But the strange thing is this: after new inst the
    two inst are right! The catastroph come when from one of the two
    (normally the new, obviously), I do a copy& paste of files and/or dir
    from one inst to another: only after this work the UUID stop the boot of
    the inst who has been the origin of files and dir, and I think again that
    the copy&paste wastes its partition, my brain cannot go beyond 8-)
    Ah: and the Grub is ever and for all the inst in the root partition,
    because the first time of boot is for all by the bootloader GAG

    > Another option could be that the Cooker install is looking for its
    > kernel in a different place now due to some bad symlink, and thus cannot
    > find its kernel on the filesystem you specified as being the root
    > filesystem (or */boot*) due to the UUID issues, which still point to the
    > old root filesystem, i.e. the one on which it _expects_ to find its
    > kernel.

    Yes, but it's no matter of Cooker or Stable, the same thing happens with
    two 2008/1 Spring; but don't worry, in a little time a new installation
    can solve the

    > I don't think the mounting options are an issue.

    I quote it

    >> At least I understand that the MDV 2008/1 Spring or Cooker has the
    >> filesystem (or another essential something) wasted by a simple
    >> copy&paste done by, and only by, another 2008/1, Spring or Cooker; with
    >> a 2008/0 and a 2008/0 it's ever all right.

  4. Re: MDV2008/1 wastes another MDV2008/1: buuuh!

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:08:07 -0400, phil wrote:

    > Yes, if I do so, right. But the strange thing is this: after new inst the
    > two inst are right! The catastroph come when from one of the two
    > (normally the new, obviously), I do a copy& paste of files and/or dir
    > from one inst to another: only after this work the UUID stop the boot of
    > the inst who has been the origin of files and dir, and I think again that
    > the copy&paste wastes its partition, my brain cannot go beyond 8-)

    You'll have to be much more specific, about what you're copying, from which
    filesystem/file to which filesystem/file, to figure out what is going wrong,
    and why.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: MDV2008/1 wastes another MDV2008/1: buuuh!

    Il Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:11:56 -0400, David W. Hodgins ha scritto:

    > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:08:07 -0400, phil wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, if I do so, right. But the strange thing is this: after new inst
    >> the two inst are right! The catastroph come when from one of the two
    >> (normally the new, obviously), I do a copy& paste of files and/or dir
    >> from one inst to another: only after this work the UUID stop the boot
    >> of the inst who has been the origin of files and dir, and I think again
    >> that the copy&paste wastes its partition, my brain cannot go beyond 8-)

    > You'll have to be much more specific, about what you're copying, from
    > which filesystem/file to which filesystem/file, to figure out what is
    > going wrong, and why.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Right:
    -dir:
    1- .kde/share/apps/kfm
    2- .kde/share/apps/kmail
    3- .kde/share/apps/konqlistview
    4- .kde/share/apps/konqsidebartng
    5- .kde/share/apps/konqueror
    6- .pan2

    -files: all in .kde/share/config:
    emaildefaults
    emailidentities
    kmail.eventsrc
    kmailrc
    kmailrcJJPFma.new
    kmailsnippertrc
    konq_history
    konqiconviewrc
    konqsidebartng.rc
    konquerorrc

    Filesystem from/which: from reiserfs to reiserfs, from reiser to ext3,
    from ext3 to ext3, from ext3 to reiserfs, for the : at
    leat, now, again from reiserfs to reiserfs for two 2008/0 without any
    problem.

    Best regards and tnx

  6. Re: MDV2008/1 wastes another MDV2008/1: buuuh!

    phil wrote:

    > By more ten years I have had two Mandrake/iva on the pc, with boot by
    > GAG, with frequent copy&paste for archives sinchronization (documents,
    > images, downloaded, mails, news, bookmarks and so on). The installations
    > have ever done in the same manner and ever all has been right.
    > Last time I have had on a 2008/0 and a 20081 Cooker, and all quiet,
    > since is published the 2008/1 Spring: I download it and install on the
    > 2008/0's partition, I sinchronize all as wrighted over and how I ever
    > done, but ... bang! : in the new inst all is again right, but the other
    > inst, the old 2008/1 Cooker, cannot boot, the UUID says something bad and
    > I, seventy old newbie, cannot do other against a bad destiny.
    > The thing has repeated in the last two weeks, with and without
    > and in the options of the partitions, with filesystem reiserfs
    > and ext3, and ... with fat32 and ntfs in the Win partitions (but with
    > these last partitions without dammages). At least I understand that the
    > MDV 2008/1 Spring or Cooker has the filesystem (or another essential
    > something) wasted by a simple copy&paste done by, and only by, another
    > 2008/1, Spring or Cooker; with a 2008/0 and a 2008/0 is ever all right.
    > Someone knows the why, and how solve the problem? I have only the
    > problem, I've not the solution, sorry.
    > Tnx

    I removed UUID in boot/grub/menu.lst as in /etc/fstab. Don't forget to
    run "sh /boot/grub/install.sh" before rebooting.

    /dev/sda1 is a linux test partition on my harddisk.

    $ cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    timeout 5
    color black/cyan yellow/cyan
    gfxmenu (hd0,4)/boot/gfxmenu
    default 0

    title linux
    kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/sda5 resume=/dev/sda6
    splash=silent vga=791
    initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img

    title linux-nonfb
    kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/sda5
    resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent
    initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img

    title failsafe
    kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/sda5 failsafe
    resume=/dev/sda6 splash=verbose
    initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img

    $ cat /etc/fstab
    # Entry for /dev/sda5 :
    /dev/sda5 / ext3 relatime 1 1
    # Entry for /dev/sda7 :
    /dev/sda7 /home ext3 relatime 1 2
    # Entry for /dev/sda8 :
    /dev/sda8 /mnt/hd ext3 relatime 1 2
    # Entry for swap :
    /dev/sda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

  7. Re: MDV2008/1 wastes another MDV2008/1: buuuh!

    Il Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:39:34 +0200, Amrein-Marie Christophe ha scritto:

    >> By more ten years I have had two Mandrake/iva on the pc, with boot by
    >> GAG, with frequent copy&paste for archives sinchronization (documents,
    >> images, downloaded, mails, news, bookmarks and so on). The
    >> installations have ever done in the same manner and ever all has been
    >> right. Last time I have had on a 2008/0 and a 20081 Cooker, and all
    >> quiet, since is published the 2008/1 Spring: I download it and install
    >> on the 2008/0's partition, I sinchronize all as wrighted over and how I
    >> ever done, but ... bang! : in the new inst all is again right, but the
    >> other inst, the old 2008/1 Cooker, cannot boot, the UUID says something
    >> bad and I, seventy old newbie, cannot do other against a bad destiny.
    >> The thing has repeated in the last two weeks, with and without
    >> and in the options of the partitions, with
    >> filesystem reiserfs and ext3, and ... with fat32 and ntfs in the Win
    >> partitions (but with these last partitions without dammages). At least
    >> I understand that the MDV 2008/1 Spring or Cooker has the filesystem
    >> (or another essential something) wasted by a simple copy&paste done by,
    >> and only by, another 2008/1, Spring or Cooker; with a 2008/0 and a
    >> 2008/0 is ever all right. Someone knows the why, and how solve the
    >> problem? I have only the problem, I've not the solution, sorry. Tnx

    > I removed UUID in boot/grub/menu.lst as in /etc/fstab. Don't forget to
    > run "sh /boot/grub/install.sh" before rebooting.
    >
    > /dev/sda1 is a linux test partition on my harddisk.
    >
    > $ cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    > timeout 5
    > color black/cyan yellow/cyan
    > gfxmenu (hd0,4)/boot/gfxmenu
    > default 0
    >
    > title linux
    > kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/sda5
    > resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent vga=791
    > initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img
    >
    > title linux-nonfb
    > kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/sda5
    > resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent
    > initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img
    >
    > title failsafe
    > kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/sda5 failsafe
    > resume=/dev/sda6 splash=verbose
    > initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img

    > $ cat /etc/fstab
    > # Entry for /dev/sda5 :
    > /dev/sda5 / ext3 relatime 1 1
    > # Entry for /dev/sda7 :
    > /dev/sda7 /home ext3 relatime 1 2
    > # Entry for /dev/sda8 :
    > /dev/sda8 /mnt/hd ext3 relatime 1 2
    > # Entry for swap :
    > /dev/sda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

    Wonderful, sir; a light at the end of the tunnel.
    Tnx

    Phil

  8. Re: MDV2008/1 wastes another MDV2008/1: buuuh!

    On 18 Jun 2008 15:46:41 GMT, phil wrote:

    >Il Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:39:34 +0200, Amrein-Marie Christophe ha scritto:
    >
    >>> By more ten years I have had two Mandrake/iva on the pc, with boot by
    >>> GAG, with frequent copy&paste for archives sinchronization (documents,
    >>> images, downloaded, mails, news, bookmarks and so on). The
    >>> installations have ever done in the same manner and ever all has been
    >>> right. Last time I have had on a 2008/0 and a 20081 Cooker, and all
    >>> quiet, since is published the 2008/1 Spring: I download it and install
    >>> on the 2008/0's partition, I sinchronize all as wrighted over and how I
    >>> ever done, but ... bang! : in the new inst all is again right, but the
    >>> other inst, the old 2008/1 Cooker, cannot boot, the UUID says something
    >>> bad and I, seventy old newbie, cannot do other against a bad destiny.
    >>> The thing has repeated in the last two weeks, with and without
    >>> and in the options of the partitions, with
    >>> filesystem reiserfs and ext3, and ... with fat32 and ntfs in the Win
    >>> partitions (but with these last partitions without dammages). At least
    >>> I understand that the MDV 2008/1 Spring or Cooker has the filesystem
    >>> (or another essential something) wasted by a simple copy&paste done by,
    >>> and only by, another 2008/1, Spring or Cooker; with a 2008/0 and a
    >>> 2008/0 is ever all right. Someone knows the why, and how solve the
    >>> problem? I have only the problem, I've not the solution, sorry. Tnx

    >> I removed UUID in boot/grub/menu.lst as in /etc/fstab. Don't forget to
    >> run "sh /boot/grub/install.sh" before rebooting.
    >>
    >> /dev/sda1 is a linux test partition on my harddisk.
    >>
    >> $ cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >> timeout 5
    >> color black/cyan yellow/cyan
    >> gfxmenu (hd0,4)/boot/gfxmenu
    >> default 0
    >>
    >> title linux
    >> kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/sda5
    >> resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent vga=791
    >> initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img
    >>
    >> title linux-nonfb
    >> kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/sda5
    >> resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent
    >> initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img
    >>
    >> title failsafe
    >> kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/sda5 failsafe
    >> resume=/dev/sda6 splash=verbose
    >> initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img

    >> $ cat /etc/fstab
    >> # Entry for /dev/sda5 :
    >> /dev/sda5 / ext3 relatime 1 1
    >> # Entry for /dev/sda7 :
    >> /dev/sda7 /home ext3 relatime 1 2
    >> # Entry for /dev/sda8 :
    >> /dev/sda8 /mnt/hd ext3 relatime 1 2
    >> # Entry for swap :
    >> /dev/sda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

    >Wonderful, sir; a light at the end of the tunnel.
    >Tnx
    >
    >Phil

    Does it occur to anyone else that this poster is having a laugh?

    A 70 year old newbie who knows about "dir" and even more abstruse
    commands? Come on!

    I think he is pulling the collective chain.

  9. Re: MDV2008/1 wastes another MDV2008/1: buuuh!

    phil wrote:
    > in the new inst all is again right, but the other
    > inst, the old 2008/1 Cooker, cannot boot, the UUID says something bad and
    > I, seventy old newbie, cannot do other against a bad destiny.

    Mandriva has changed the way it names disk partitions in /etc/fstab
    and in /boot/grub/menu.lst or lilo. It used to use the /dev/hda
    style, but now identifies (by default) the partitions by UUID.
    You can also dismount the partition, add a label, and then use
    the label to identify the partition (except when you install an
    OS in a partition, the installer will pay no attention to the
    label -- but elsewhere the label will be ok).

    The following may be confusing, but it shows all three forms
    of names, and how they can work. I think that the new install
    changed the same or UUID of something, and you need to make
    an adjustment in menu.lst, or in /etc/fstab, or both.

    I have two SATA disks, with windows xp on the first partition
    of the first disk, mandriva 2008.0 on the first partition of the
    second disk, an upgrade from 2008.1 Beta on /dev/sda6, and a
    clean install of 2008.1 on /dev/sdb10. The command blkid
    (run as root) shows these partitions:

    [root@localhost grub]# blkid /dev/sda1
    /dev/sda1: UUID="FC98713D9870F80A" TYPE="ntfs"
    [root@localhost grub]# blkid /dev/sdb1
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL="2008root"
    UUID="104c7dea-9e29-4d32-97d5-0e2c87fbdab7" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
    [root@localhost grub]# blkid /dev/sda6
    /dev/sda6: LABEL="2008beta"
    UUID="2c1df6bd-77f6-4746-ab3b-39f5670098a1" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
    [root@localhost grub]# blkid /dev/sdb10
    /dev/sdb10: LABEL="2008data"
    UUID="275dfecb-3043-4b19-ad02-a5589b533795" TYPE="ext3" SEC_TYPE="ext2"

    My grub menu.lst looks like this:

    [jim@localhost grub]$ cat menu.lst
    timeout 30
    color black/cyan yellow/cyan
    default 0

    title linux
    kernel (hd1,9)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=LABEL=2008data
    mem=41479249092M vga=788
    initrd (hd1,9)/boot/initrd.img

    title linux-nonfb
    kernel (hd1,9)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb
    root=UUID=275dfecb-3043-4b19-ad02-a5589b533795 mem=41479249092M
    initrd (hd1,9)/boot/initrd.img

    title failsafe
    kernel (hd1,9)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe
    root=UUID=275dfecb-3043-4b19-ad02-a5589b533795 failsafe
    initrd (hd1,9)/boot/initrd.img

    title windows
    root (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    title sda6 memtest-2.01
    kernel (hd0,5)/boot/memtest-2.01.bin BOOT_IMAGE=sda6_memtest-2.01

    title sdb0 memtest-1.70
    kernel (hd1,0)/boot/memtest-1.70.bin BOOT_IMAGE=memtest-1.70

    title Mandriva Linux release 2008.1 (Official)
    root (hd0,5)
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

    title Mandriva Linux release 2008.0 (Official)
    root (hd1,0)
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

    title desktop 2.6.24.7-tmb-2
    kernel (hd1,9)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24.7-tmb-desktop-2mdv
    BOOT_IMAGE=desktop_2.6.24.7-tmb-2
    root=UUID=275dfecb-3043-4b19-ad02-a5589b533795 mem=41479249092M vga=788
    initrd (hd1,9)/boot/initrd-2.6.24.7-tmb-desktop-2mdv.img

    title desktop 2.6.24.4-1mnb
    kernel (hd1,9)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb
    BOOT_IMAGE=desktop_2.6.24.4-1mnb
    root=UUID=275dfecb-3043-4b19-ad02-a5589b533795 mem=41479249092M vga=788
    initrd (hd1,9)/boot/initrd-2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb.img

    title desktop 2.6.24.5-1mnb
    kernel (hd1,9)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24.5-desktop-1mnb
    BOOT_IMAGE=desktop_2.6.24.5-1mnb root=LABEL=2008data mem=41479249092M
    vga=788
    initrd (hd1,9)/boot/initrd-2.6.24.5-desktop-1mnb.img

    title desktop 2.6.24.5-2mnb
    kernel (hd1,9)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24.5-desktop-2mnb
    BOOT_IMAGE=desktop_2.6.24.5-2mnb root=LABEL=2008data mem=41479249092M
    vga=788
    initrd (hd1,9)/boot/initrd-2.6.24.5-desktop-2mnb.img

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  10. Re: MDV2008/1 wastes another MDV2008/1: buuuh!

    Troll alert.

    Snuff wrote:
    > Does it occur to anyone else that this poster is having a laugh?
    >
    > A 70 year old newbie who knows about "dir" and even more abstruse
    > commands? Come on!
    >
    > I think he is pulling the collective chain.

    And what does Snuff use as his sophisticated newsreader,
    usable (presumably) only by those who know about "dir" and
    even more abstruse commands?

    Go 'way, WinBlows "buddy."

    No cheers.

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  11. Re: MDV2008/1 wastes another MDV2008/1: buuuh!

    The answer of Jim Beard is very clear, hightech an so on, well, tnx.
    My knowhow and my knowledge are very limited, but I can understand again
    something, before ... hmmmm, before that will happen for all us ...
    ehp!!! 8-))))
    It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness: tnx for all the
    lighters, and goodby.

    Phil

    ps: yes, I'm seventy old, but I'm not a troll, and I can smile and
    understand (or understand and smile) again ... but it will not be for
    ever, quite 8-))
    Best regards for all

  12. Re: MDV2008/1 wastes another MDV2008/1: buuuh!

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Troll alert.
    >
    > Snuff wrote:
    >> Does it occur to anyone else that this poster is having a laugh?
    >>
    >> A 70 year old newbie who knows about "dir" and even more abstruse
    >> commands? Come on!
    >>
    >> I think he is pulling the collective chain.

    > And what does Snuff use as his sophisticated newsreader,
    > usable (presumably) only by those who know about "dir" and
    > even more abstruse commands?

    > Go 'way, WinBlows "buddy."
    >
    > No cheers.
    >
    > jim b.

    maybe...but:

    http://www.mandrivaclub.com/xwiki/bin/view/KB/Cooker

    Cooker

    Cooker is the Mandriva Linux development distribution. It evolves
    constantly, thus being called an

    "unstable distribution",

    and is regulary forked to produce a stable distribution for release. Think
    of it as a version of Mandrivalinux

    that is not meant for everyday use...

    Etc...

    It does not seem to be a distribution for newbies wether they are seventy or
    twenty, beside he knows , and so on, and what
    place they occupy in a discussion on Linux...mah! he may be seventy, but a
    newbie?

    But then there are newbies and newbies I guess...and all is relative...
    :-)

    santo

  13. Re: MDV2008/1 wastes another MDV2008/1: buuuh!

    Il Thu, 19 Jun 2008 23:07:17 +0530, santo ha scritto:

    > It does not seem to be a distribution for newbies wether they are
    > seventy or twenty, beside he knows , and so
    > on, and what place they occupy in a discussion on Linux...mah! he may be
    > seventy, but a newbie?

    Yes, sir! Strange, I know,but I beginned with the computer by twelve year,
    and with Mandrake by ten (I remember the first inst were five hundred
    MB ...); I understand and study again, but my knowho had very more than
    one darksite ... as a leopard skin

    > But then there are newbies and newbies I guess...and all is relative...
    > :-)

    Yes, sir, another time! The knowledge is a work in progress, and the
    finish is ever beyond the horizon.

    Bie, Santo

    Phil

  14. Re: MDV2008/1 wastes another MDV2008/1: buuuh!

    phil wrote:
    > ps: yes, I'm seventy old, but I'm not a troll, and I can smile and
    > understand (or understand and smile) again ... but it will not be for
    > ever, quite 8-))

    Well, it looks like I could have written more plainly.
    I was pointing out that Snuff was using a Micro$loth news
    reader (Forte Agent), and appeared to be a dyed-in-the-wool
    troll.

    I was not implying that phil was a troll.

    I am pleased my posts were understandable at least in
    part, and hope they help.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  15. Re: MDV2008/1 wastes another MDV2008/1: buuuh!

    Il Fri, 20 Jun 2008 01:39:44 +0000, Jim Beard ha scritto:

    > phil wrote:
    >> ps: yes, I'm seventy old, but I'm not a troll, and I can smile and
    >> understand (or understand and smile) again ... but it will not be for
    >> ever, quite 8-))

    > Well, it looks like I could have written more plainly. I was pointing
    > out that Snuff was using a Micro$loth news reader (Forte Agent), and
    > appeared to be a dyed-in-the-wool troll.
    >
    > I was not implying that phil was a troll.
    >
    > I am pleased my posts were understandable at least in part, and hope
    > they help.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Well, I quote it, and I add: "Peace for the coming sunsets" (P. Neruda),
    and if cannot be for all, let it be for the "in Linux brothers" 8-)))

    Best regards

    Phil

+ Reply to Thread