Confused about kernel update - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Confused about kernel update - Mandriva ; Running 2008.1 and I regularly apply the patches as suggested in the system updates. The other day, I noticed a kernel update. I checked the current running version using uname and I believe it returned 2.6.24.4 After I rebooted, it ...

  1. Confused about kernel update

    Running 2008.1 and I regularly apply the patches as suggested in the
    system updates. The other day, I noticed a kernel update. I checked
    the current running version using uname and I believe it returned 2.6.24.4

    After I rebooted, it is returning
    Linux kd1yv6 2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb #1 SMP Thu Mar 27 14:34:39

    I thought that the current release was 2.6.24.5. Why does that not seem
    to have loaded?

    When I look under /boot, I see the following. Is the problem that the
    2.6.24.5 just never got sym-linked in? If so, can I fix it by just
    updating the sym-link?

    Thanks,
    Jim

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 2008-06-17 19:44 config ->
    config-2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 88649 2008-03-27 09:37 config-2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 88649 2008-05-05 18:10 config-2.6.24.4-desktop-3mnb

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 88623 2008-05-27 12:43 config-2.6.24.5-desktop-1mnb

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 88623 2008-06-12 14:38 config-2.6.24.5-desktop-2mnb

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 556544 2008-05-22 19:59 gfxmenu

    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-05-18 21:57 grub

    -rw------- 1 root root 2832642 2008-05-13 16:55
    initrd-2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb.img

    -rw------- 1 root root 2389606 2008-05-23 01:16
    initrd-2.6.24.4-desktop-3mnb.img

    -rw------- 1 root root 2389762 2008-06-06 21:32
    initrd-2.6.24.5-desktop-1mnb.img

    -rw------- 1 root root 2389786 2008-06-16 00:34
    initrd-2.6.24.5-desktop-2mnb.img

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 2008-06-16 00:34 initrd-desktop.img ->
    initrd-2.6.24.5-desktop-2mnb.img

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 2008-05-13 16:55 initrd.img ->
    initrd-2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb.img

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 2008-06-17 23:44 kernel.h ->
    /boot/kernel.h-2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1493 2008-06-17 23:44
    kernel.h-2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 2008-05-18 16:13 System.map ->
    System.map-2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 792344 2008-03-27 09:37
    System.map-2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 792344 2008-05-05 18:10
    System.map-2.6.24.4-desktop-3mnb

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 792276 2008-05-27 12:43
    System.map-2.6.24.5-desktop-1mnb

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 792276 2008-06-12 14:38
    System.map-2.6.24.5-desktop-2mnb

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 2008-05-13 16:54 vmlinuz ->
    vmlinuz-2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1779320 2008-03-27 09:37
    vmlinuz-2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1777560 2008-05-05 18:10
    vmlinuz-2.6.24.4-desktop-3mnb

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1777464 2008-05-27 12:43
    vmlinuz-2.6.24.5-desktop-1mnb

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1777464 2008-06-12 14:38
    vmlinuz-2.6.24.5-desktop-2mnb

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 2008-06-16 00:34 vmlinuz-desktop ->
    vmlinuz-2.6.24.5-desktop-2mnb

  2. Re: Confused about kernel update

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 00:48:41 -0400, JimR wrote:

    > Running 2008.1 and I regularly apply the patches as suggested in the
    > system updates. The other day, I noticed a kernel update. I checked
    > the current running version using uname and I believe it returned 2.6.24.4
    > After I rebooted, it is returning
    > Linux kd1yv6 2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb #1 SMP Thu Mar 27 14:34:39

    The most recent version is 2.6.24.5-2.

    While the kernel install procedure will add the new kernel to grub/lilo, it
    doesn't make it the default. You have to manually select the new version,
    or modify the boot manager config files, when you decide the new version
    is suitable, to become the default.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Confused about kernel update

    On Wednesday 18 June 2008 06:48, someone who identifies as *JimR* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Running 2008.1 and I regularly apply the patches as suggested in the
    > system updates. The other day, I noticed a kernel update. I checked
    > the current running version using uname and I believe it returned 2.6.24.4
    >
    > After I rebooted, it is returning
    > Linux kd1yv6 2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb #1 SMP Thu Mar 27 14:34:39
    >
    > I thought that the current release was 2.6.24.5. Why does that not seem
    > to have loaded?
    >
    > When I look under /boot, I see the following. Is the problem that the
    > 2.6.24.5 just never got sym-linked in? If so, can I fix it by just
    > updating the sym-link? [...]

    In addition to what David already wrote, I would recommend doing away with
    the symlinks in */boot* and their references in */boot/grub/menu.lst* or
    */etc/lilo.conf.* These symlinks are a source for confusion and problems,
    and it is best to simply have your bootloader refer to the actual kernel
    image and /initrd/ or /initramfs/ image (if applicable).

    That way, you'll never have to worry about ending up with an unbootable
    system if you happen to install a new kernel and the symlink gets
    overwritten; at least, not in LILO - GRUB has a shell that allows you to
    designate a working kernel either way, but still it's better not to use
    symlinks.

    Your mileage may vary, but this is one of these bad habits I'm trying to get
    people into dropping. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  4. Re: Confused about kernel update

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:28:39 -0400, Aragorn wrote:

    > In addition to what David already wrote, I would recommend doing away with
    > the symlinks in */boot* and their references in */boot/grub/menu.lst* or
    > */etc/lilo.conf.* These symlinks are a source for confusion and problems,

    Good point. To prevent the bootloader config, during a kernel install from
    creating the symlinks, set NOLINK="yes" in /etc/sysconfig/installkernel.

    In the /etc/lilo.conf, as Aragorn wrote, specify the full name for initrd
    and vmlinuz, such as
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24.5-desktop-2mnb
    label="desktop_2.6.24.5-2mnb"
    root=/dev/hda14
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.24.5-desktop-2mnb.img
    append="splash=verbose video=vesafb:1280x1024-32@60 apparmor=1"

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Confused about kernel update

    JimR wrote:
    > Running 2008.1 and I regularly apply the patches as suggested in the
    > system updates. The other day, I noticed a kernel update. I checked
    > the current running version using uname and I believe it returned 2.6.24.4
    >

    > After I rebooted, it is returning
    > Linux kd1yv6 2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb #1 SMP Thu Mar 27 14:34:39
    >
    > I thought that the current release was 2.6.24.5. Why does that not seem
    > to have loaded?
    >
    > When I look under /boot, I see the following. Is the problem that the
    > 2.6.24.5 just never got sym-linked in? If so, can I fix it by just
    > updating the sym-link?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    Hi to mandriva group.

    Just out of interest, being a user and not very
    technically informed, which I assume applies to
    most computer uses.
    Anyway, I like to keep my mandriva 2008.1 official
    updated.
    I used packet manager updates.
    It downloaded the names of 41 updates/
    Trusting that as a user I can safely just go ahead
    with the whole 41 updates, I did so.
    I see this as clean and not complicated, and trust
    that my computer will now be better equipped.

    However, when I rebooted, I found that the updates
    had reset my video driver to generic slow motion.
    My video card is Nvidia PX 9600 GT. Modern and fast.
    I still had the Nvidia driver installer in an
    archive. So I logged out and ran the installer.
    This reinstalled the Nvidia driver, so back to
    fast again.
    The Nvidia installer went through all the
    procedures of setting up a suitable kernel for the
    card.
    uname -a gives (2.6.24.5-desktop-2mnb #1 SMP Thu
    Jun 12 14:37:30 EDT 2008 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R)
    4 CPU 3.00GHz GNU/Linux)

    Seems like updates may cause problems for some
    computer users.

    This is just an observation.
    Keep smiling.

    Don

  6. Re: Confused about kernel update

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 00:48:41 -0400, JimR wrote:
    >
    >> Running 2008.1 and I regularly apply the patches as suggested in the
    >> system updates. The other day, I noticed a kernel update. I checked
    >> the current running version using uname and I believe it returned 2.6.24.4
    >> After I rebooted, it is returning
    >> Linux kd1yv6 2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb #1 SMP Thu Mar 27 14:34:39

    > The most recent version is 2.6.24.5-2.
    >
    > While the kernel install procedure will add the new kernel to grub/lilo, it
    > doesn't make it the default. You have to manually select the new version,
    > or modify the boot manager config files, when you decide the new version
    > is suitable, to become the default.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks Dave. Is this something new in 2008.1? I never had to do this
    before in previous versions - whenever I selected to install a kernel
    update from the Software Package Updater, the installation was complete,
    and the new kernel became effective the next time I rebooted Linux.\

    BTW, I use grub, and there is noplace within the config file where is
    specifies which kernel version I am using. (This is the main reason why
    I use grub instead of lilo.)

    JimR

  7. Re: Confused about kernel update

    On Thursday 19 June 2008 05:13, someone who identifies as *JimR* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > BTW, I use grub, and there is noplace within the config file where is
    > specifies which kernel version I am using.

    Sure there is, but most likely it simply refers to symlinks for the kernel
    image and the initial ramdisk. Just replace the references to those
    symlinks by the actual names of the files, like so...:

    - replace /vmlinuz/ by /vmlinux-$VERSION/
    - replace /initrd/ by /initrd-$VERSION/

    .... where /$VERSION/ is of course what applies on your system.

    If you really need handholding at this, then post the complete output of...

    cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

    .... and...

    ls -l /boot

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  8. Re: Confused about kernel update

    On Thursday 19 June 2008 04:53, someone who identifies as *don* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > [...]
    > Anyway, I like to keep my mandriva 2008.1 official
    > updated.
    > I used packet manager updates.
    > It downloaded the names of 41 updates/
    > Trusting that as a user I can safely just go ahead
    > with the whole 41 updates, I did so.
    > I see this as clean and not complicated, and trust
    > that my computer will now be better equipped.

    You do know that the only software without bugs is the software that's
    obsolete, don't you? p

    > However, when I rebooted, I found that the updates
    > had reset my video driver to generic slow motion.

    You probably updated the kernel without updating the nVidia driver.

    > My video card is Nvidia PX 9600 GT. Modern and fast.
    > I still had the Nvidia driver installer in an
    > archive. So I logged out and ran the installer.
    > This reinstalled the Nvidia driver, so back to
    > fast again.
    > The Nvidia installer went through all the
    > procedures of setting up a suitable kernel for the
    > card.

    Not a kernel, a kernel *driver.* This driver is proprietary and supplied by
    nVidia only - well, it is also available in commercial distributions - and
    can therefore not be included in-kernel. First of all there's the license,
    and secondly, since the source code is not open, there's no way to tell
    what that driver does hardwarewise.

    Either way, Mandriva - like most distributions - ships their kernels as
    highly modular, with only the basic few things compiled inline. Everything
    else is basically a loadable module.

    > uname -a gives (2.6.24.5-desktop-2mnb #1 SMP Thu
    > Jun 12 14:37:30 EDT 2008 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R)
    > 4 CPU 3.00GHz GNU/Linux)
    >
    > Seems like updates may cause problems for some
    > computer users.

    While the scenario you were describing above is not necessarily an update
    problem - given that it was logically to be foreseen and that it was easily
    fixed - most of us have already learned that with an update/upgrade, you're
    not taking out the bugs, but just moving them around to whole new places
    where you hadn't seen them yet before.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  9. Re: Confused about kernel update

    don wrote:
    > JimR wrote:
    >> Running 2008.1 and I regularly apply the patches as suggested in the
    >> system updates. The other day, I noticed a kernel update. I checked
    >> the current running version using uname and I believe it returned
    >> 2.6.24.4
    >>

    >> After I rebooted, it is returning
    >> Linux kd1yv6 2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb #1 SMP Thu Mar 27 14:34:39
    >>
    >> I thought that the current release was 2.6.24.5. Why does that not
    >> seem to have loaded?
    >>
    >> When I look under /boot, I see the following. Is the problem that the
    >> 2.6.24.5 just never got sym-linked in? If so, can I fix it by just
    >> updating the sym-link?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jim

    > Hi to mandriva group.
    >
    > Just out of interest, being a user and not very technically informed,
    > which I assume applies to most computer uses.
    > Anyway, I like to keep my mandriva 2008.1 official updated.
    > I used packet manager updates.
    > It downloaded the names of 41 updates/
    > Trusting that as a user I can safely just go ahead with the whole 41
    > updates, I did so.
    > I see this as clean and not complicated, and trust that my computer will
    > now be better equipped.
    >
    > However, when I rebooted, I found that the updates had reset my video
    > driver to generic slow motion.
    > My video card is Nvidia PX 9600 GT. Modern and fast.
    > I still had the Nvidia driver installer in an archive. So I logged out
    > and ran the installer.
    > This reinstalled the Nvidia driver, so back to fast again.
    > The Nvidia installer went through all the procedures of setting up a
    > suitable kernel for the card.
    > uname -a gives (2.6.24.5-desktop-2mnb #1 SMP Thu Jun 12 14:37:30 EDT
    > 2008 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz GNU/Linux)
    >
    > Seems like updates may cause problems for some computer users.
    >
    > This is just an observation.
    > Keep smiling.
    >
    > Don

    It sounds to me like you haven't set your Mandriva non-free and/or PLF
    repositories for the Mandriva Control Center (MCC). Those repositories
    contain software that may be proprietary or for some other reason wasn't
    included in the Mandriva Free distribution. I suggest you go to
    www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/ and follow the instructions you find
    there. Once you do that, use MCC to configure your display hardware,
    rather than the Nvidia installer. It will install software already
    configured for Mandriva, and will update the drivers with the kernel.

    No muss, no fuss. If you have trouble, come back here and I'm sure some
    folks can give you more informative advice than I can.

    TJ

  10. Re: Confused about kernel update

    TJ wrote:
    > don wrote:
    >> JimR wrote:
    >>> Running 2008.1 and I regularly apply the patches as suggested in the
    >>> system updates. The other day, I noticed a kernel update. I checked
    >>> the current running version using uname and I believe it returned
    >>> 2.6.24.4
    >>>

    >>> After I rebooted, it is returning
    >>> Linux kd1yv6 2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb #1 SMP Thu Mar 27 14:34:39
    >>>
    >>> I thought that the current release was 2.6.24.5. Why does that not
    >>> seem to have loaded?
    >>>
    >>> When I look under /boot, I see the following. Is the problem that
    >>> the 2.6.24.5 just never got sym-linked in? If so, can I fix it by
    >>> just updating the sym-link?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Jim

    >> Hi to mandriva group.
    >>
    >> Just out of interest, being a user and not very technically informed,
    >> which I assume applies to most computer uses.
    >> Anyway, I like to keep my mandriva 2008.1 official updated.
    >> I used packet manager updates.
    >> It downloaded the names of 41 updates/
    >> Trusting that as a user I can safely just go ahead with the whole 41
    >> updates, I did so.
    >> I see this as clean and not complicated, and trust that my computer
    >> will now be better equipped.
    >>
    >> However, when I rebooted, I found that the updates had reset my video
    >> driver to generic slow motion.
    >> My video card is Nvidia PX 9600 GT. Modern and fast.
    >> I still had the Nvidia driver installer in an archive. So I logged
    >> out and ran the installer.
    >> This reinstalled the Nvidia driver, so back to fast again.
    >> The Nvidia installer went through all the procedures of setting up a
    >> suitable kernel for the card.
    >> uname -a gives (2.6.24.5-desktop-2mnb #1 SMP Thu Jun 12 14:37:30 EDT
    >> 2008 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz GNU/Linux)
    >>
    >> Seems like updates may cause problems for some computer users.
    >>
    >> This is just an observation.
    >> Keep smiling.
    >>
    >> Don

    > It sounds to me like you haven't set your Mandriva non-free and/or PLF
    > repositories for the Mandriva Control Center (MCC). Those repositories
    > contain software that may be proprietary or for some other reason wasn't
    > included in the Mandriva Free distribution. I suggest you go to
    > www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/ and follow the instructions you find
    > there. Once you do that, use MCC to configure your display hardware,
    > rather than the Nvidia installer. It will install software already
    > configured for Mandriva, and will update the drivers with the kernel.
    >
    > No muss, no fuss. If you have trouble, come back here and I'm sure some
    > folks can give you more informative advice than I can.
    >
    > TJ

    Hi TJ,

    In MCC "Configure media sources for install and
    update." I do have PLF free and nonfree listed here.
    Mandriva found a driver for my card, but it was
    snail pace. Hence the Nvidia driver installer.

    By the way, the Nvidia installer only worked after
    I had downloaded all the mirror repositories.
    These being main, main-updates, contrib,
    contrib-updates, PLF-free and PLF-nonfree.

    I do find that the French seem to be a bit vague
    about there being a southern hemisphere.

    Thanks TJ.

    Don.

  11. Re: Confused about kernel update

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Thursday 19 June 2008 04:53, someone who identifies as *don* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> [...]
    >> Anyway, I like to keep my mandriva 2008.1 official
    >> updated.
    >> I used packet manager updates.
    >> It downloaded the names of 41 updates/
    >> Trusting that as a user I can safely just go ahead
    >> with the whole 41 updates, I did so.
    >> I see this as clean and not complicated, and trust
    >> that my computer will now be better equipped.

    > You do know that the only software without bugs is the software that's
    > obsolete, don't you? p
    >
    >> However, when I rebooted, I found that the updates
    >> had reset my video driver to generic slow motion.

    > You probably updated the kernel without updating the nVidia driver.
    >
    >> My video card is Nvidia PX 9600 GT. Modern and fast.
    >> I still had the Nvidia driver installer in an
    >> archive. So I logged out and ran the installer.
    >> This reinstalled the Nvidia driver, so back to
    >> fast again.
    >> The Nvidia installer went through all the
    >> procedures of setting up a suitable kernel for the
    >> card.

    > Not a kernel, a kernel *driver.* This driver is proprietary and supplied by
    > nVidia only - well, it is also available in commercial distributions - and
    > can therefore not be included in-kernel. First of all there's the license,
    > and secondly, since the source code is not open, there's no way to tell
    > what that driver does hardwarewise.
    >
    > Either way, Mandriva - like most distributions - ships their kernels as
    > highly modular, with only the basic few things compiled inline. Everything
    > else is basically a loadable module.
    >
    >> uname -a gives (2.6.24.5-desktop-2mnb #1 SMP Thu
    >> Jun 12 14:37:30 EDT 2008 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R)
    >> 4 CPU 3.00GHz GNU/Linux)
    >>
    >> Seems like updates may cause problems for some
    >> computer users.

    > While the scenario you were describing above is not necessarily an update
    > problem - given that it was logically to be foreseen and that it was easily
    > fixed - most of us have already learned that with an update/upgrade, you're
    > not taking out the bugs, but just moving them around to whole new places
    > where you hadn't seen them yet before.

    Thanks Aragorn, that has cleared a few things up.
    Don.

  12. Re: Confused about kernel update

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 23:13:47 -0400, JimR wrote:

    > Thanks Dave. Is this something new in 2008.1? I never had to do this
    > before in previous versions - whenever I selected to install a kernel

    Poor wording on my part. The kernel install procedure will add a new
    stanza to lilo, or grub. It will not change the default selection there.

    The install does change the symlinks in /boot, so that /boot/vmlinuz and
    /boot/initrd will point to the new version.

    If you are using the symlinks in your default boot stanza, then you will
    pick up the new kernel on reboot.

    One of the first things I do after a new install, is remove those symlinks,
    alter the boot manager to use the actual version numbers, and change
    /etc/sysconfig/installkernel to have NOLINK="yes", to prevent the kernel
    install from creating new ones.

    As you've now found out, third party (not built by the kernel developers,
    or Mandriva) kernel modules such as video modules, windmodem modules, etc,
    must be reinstalled, after rebooting the new kernel.

    Some of these, like my webcam, use dkms, and are automatically recompiled
    when I first boot a newly installed kernel. Note, that this requires the
    installation of the kernel-xxx-devel-version package.

    Others, like the Nvidia kernel module, require running the install procedure,
    after booting the new kernel.

    If you want to keep using the symlinks in grub/lilo, check ls -l /boot, to
    see which version /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/initrd are currently set to.

    I don't use the symlinks, since a new kernel may not work. With the use
    of the symlinks, you don't have an entry in grub/lilo, to select the old
    kernel. By getting rid of the symlinks, I only get the new kernel, when
    I select it, or change the default in the boot manager, and have the option
    of booting the old kernel, until I choose to remove it.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  13. Re: Confused about kernel update

    don wrote:
    > TJ wrote:
    >> don wrote:

    >>> Hi to mandriva group.
    >>>
    >>> Just out of interest, being a user and not very technically informed,
    >>> which I assume applies to most computer uses.
    >>> Anyway, I like to keep my mandriva 2008.1 official updated.
    >>> I used packet manager updates.
    >>> It downloaded the names of 41 updates/
    >>> Trusting that as a user I can safely just go ahead with the whole 41
    >>> updates, I did so.
    >>> I see this as clean and not complicated, and trust that my computer
    >>> will now be better equipped.
    >>>
    >>> However, when I rebooted, I found that the updates had reset my video
    >>> driver to generic slow motion.
    >>> My video card is Nvidia PX 9600 GT. Modern and fast.
    >>> I still had the Nvidia driver installer in an archive. So I logged
    >>> out and ran the installer.
    >>> This reinstalled the Nvidia driver, so back to fast again.
    >>> The Nvidia installer went through all the procedures of setting up a
    >>> suitable kernel for the card.
    >>> uname -a gives (2.6.24.5-desktop-2mnb #1 SMP Thu Jun 12 14:37:30 EDT
    >>> 2008 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz GNU/Linux)
    >>>
    >>> Seems like updates may cause problems for some computer users.
    >>>
    >>> This is just an observation.
    >>> Keep smiling.
    >>>
    >>> Don

    >> It sounds to me like you haven't set your Mandriva non-free and/or PLF
    >> repositories for the Mandriva Control Center (MCC). Those repositories
    >> contain software that may be proprietary or for some other reason
    >> wasn't included in the Mandriva Free distribution. I suggest you go to
    >> www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/ and follow the instructions you find
    >> there. Once you do that, use MCC to configure your display hardware,
    >> rather than the Nvidia installer. It will install software already
    >> configured for Mandriva, and will update the drivers with the kernel.
    >>
    >> No muss, no fuss. If you have trouble, come back here and I'm sure
    >> some folks can give you more informative advice than I can.
    >>
    >> TJ

    > Hi TJ,
    >
    > In MCC "Configure media sources for install and update." I do have PLF
    > free and nonfree listed here.
    > Mandriva found a driver for my card, but it was snail pace. Hence the
    > Nvidia driver installer.
    >
    > By the way, the Nvidia installer only worked after I had downloaded all
    > the mirror repositories.
    > These being main, main-updates, contrib, contrib-updates, PLF-free and
    > PLF-nonfree.
    >
    > I do find that the French seem to be a bit vague about there being a
    > southern hemisphere.
    >
    > Thanks TJ.
    >
    > Don.

    We Americans are also guilty of that vagueness from time to time. It
    comes from being at the Center of the Universe. ;-)

    There are Mandriva non-free and non-free-updates repositories as well. I
    think that's where the Nvidia-written driver for my video card came
    from, as well as the updates. My card is much older than yours, but it's
    still faster and better than the mobo's on-board graphics. My
    installation from MCC always goes smooth as can be.

    TJ

  14. Re: Confused about kernel update

    TJ wrote:
    > don wrote:
    >> TJ wrote:

    >>> It sounds to me like you haven't set your Mandriva non-free and/or
    >>> PLF repositories for the Mandriva Control Center (MCC). Those
    >>> repositories contain software that may be proprietary or for some
    >>> other reason wasn't included in the Mandriva Free distribution. I
    >>> suggest you go to www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/ and follow the
    >>> instructions you find there. Once you do that, use MCC to configure
    >>> your display hardware, rather than the Nvidia installer. It will
    >>> install software already configured for Mandriva, and will update the
    >>> drivers with the kernel.
    >>>
    >>> No muss, no fuss. If you have trouble, come back here and I'm sure
    >>> some folks can give you more informative advice than I can.
    >>>
    >>> TJ

    >> Hi TJ,
    >>
    >> In MCC "Configure media sources for install and update." I do have
    >> PLF free and nonfree listed here.
    >> Mandriva found a driver for my card, but it was snail pace. Hence the
    >> Nvidia driver installer.
    >>
    >> By the way, the Nvidia installer only worked after I had downloaded
    >> all the mirror repositories.
    >> These being main, main-updates, contrib, contrib-updates, PLF-free and
    >> PLF-nonfree.
    >>
    >> I do find that the French seem to be a bit vague about there being a
    >> southern hemisphere.
    >>
    >> Thanks TJ.
    >>
    >> Don.
    >>

    > We Americans are also guilty of that vagueness from time to time. It
    > comes from being at the Center of the Universe. ;-)
    >
    > There are Mandriva non-free and non-free-updates repositories as well. I
    > think that's where the Nvidia-written driver for my video card came
    > from, as well as the updates. My card is much older than yours, but it's
    > still faster and better than the mobo's on-board graphics. My
    > installation from MCC always goes smooth as can be.
    >
    > TJ

    Thank you TJ.
    Hell, and I thought I was the center of the
    universe. LOL.

    I can see that there could be a problem if Nvidia
    driver installer is used, when Mandriva has driver
    installation under control and maybe conflicts
    with Nvidia driver installer. Makes sense.
    I do though, compliment Nvidia for its effort on
    behalf of Linux.
    I just thought that my card was a bit new for
    Mandriva to recognized?
    I will look into Mandriva free and nonfree updates.

    Cheers and Keep smilling.
    Don.

  15. Re: Confused about kernel update

    Don,

    When you install a Mandriva OS, it normally will ask you
    if you want to use the proprietary drivers available for
    your nVidia card. If you say yes, the kernel-devel package
    for your kernel and the dkms package plus the nvidia-dkms
    package will be installed.

    All the above will be updated when the kernel is updated,
    and the new drivers you need will be created either at
    the time the new kernel is installed or on the next boot.

    Alternatively, you can get the installer package from
    nVidia and use that to install the new drivers when
    needed. You will have to have the kernel-devel package
    for the kernel you need to install drivers for.

    If you do not have everything set up for installation of
    the proprietary drivers, the default is to use the nv
    module drivers, or (failing even that) a vanilla Vesa
    vga driver.

    Check the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and see whether it is
    the nv or nvidia module that will be loaded. That will
    tell you what you are using.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  16. Re: Confused about kernel update

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > Don,
    >
    > When you install a Mandriva OS, it normally will ask you
    > if you want to use the proprietary drivers available for
    > your nVidia card. If you say yes, the kernel-devel package
    > for your kernel and the dkms package plus the nvidia-dkms
    > package will be installed.
    >
    > All the above will be updated when the kernel is updated,
    > and the new drivers you need will be created either at
    > the time the new kernel is installed or on the next boot.
    >
    > Alternatively, you can get the installer package from
    > nVidia and use that to install the new drivers when
    > needed. You will have to have the kernel-devel package
    > for the kernel you need to install drivers for.
    >
    > If you do not have everything set up for installation of
    > the proprietary drivers, the default is to use the nv
    > module drivers, or (failing even that) a vanilla Vesa
    > vga driver.
    >
    > Check the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and see whether it is
    > the nv or nvidia module that will be loaded. That will
    > tell you what you are using.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    I installed 2008.1 from the downloaded DVD, and I wasn't asked about the
    proprietary driver during installation. I thought that strange, but it
    isn't the first time the Mandriva installer has had some changes. I also
    tried with MCC directly after installation, and I still wasn't asked. It
    was only after I had set up the online repositories via smart-urpmi that
    I got the question from MCC. For what it's worth, my card is a 128MB MX
    4000 AGP model originally sold by CompUSA.

    TJ

+ Reply to Thread