Older grub won't boot 2008.1? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Older grub won't boot 2008.1? - Mandriva ; I've just got around to installing Mandriva 2008.1 on my laptop alongside Mandriva 2007. I found that the previous grub bootloader, installed from Mdv2007, refused to boot Mdv2008.1, giving the message "Error 2: Bad file or directory type". So I ...

  1. Older grub won't boot 2008.1?

    I've just got around to installing Mandriva 2008.1 on my laptop alongside
    Mandriva 2007. I found that the previous grub bootloader, installed from
    Mdv2007, refused to boot Mdv2008.1, giving the message "Error 2: Bad file
    or directory type". So I then installed grub using Mdv2008.1 and that
    worked. So I'm guessing that there's something new and incompatible
    associated with Mdv2008, and grub has been updated to match.

    The big annoyance with this is that the grub boot CD that I went to great
    trouble to prepare (as described last week in the thread "Bootable grub
    CD gives no menu") doesn't work. And because of certain BIOS issues on
    my laptop, I can't use the Mdv2008.1 grub to make the CD.

    Anybody know what this difference with Mdv2008.1 might be? Can whatever
    it is be reverted without any detrimental effects?

    --
    Dave Farrance

  2. Re: Older grub won't boot 2008.1?

    On Tuesday 17 June 2008 15:38, someone who identifies as *Dave Farrance*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > I've just got around to installing Mandriva 2008.1 on my laptop alongside
    > Mandriva 2007. I found that the previous grub bootloader, installed from
    > Mdv2007, refused to boot Mdv2008.1, giving the message "Error 2: Bad file
    > or directory type". So I then installed grub using Mdv2008.1 and that
    > worked. So I'm guessing that there's something new and incompatible
    > associated with Mdv2008, and grub has been updated to match.
    >
    > The big annoyance with this is that the grub boot CD that I went to great
    > trouble to prepare (as described last week in the thread "Bootable grub
    > CD gives no menu") doesn't work. And because of certain BIOS issues on
    > my laptop, I can't use the Mdv2008.1 grub to make the CD.
    >
    > Anybody know what this difference with Mdv2008.1 might be? Can whatever
    > it is be reverted without any detrimental effects?

    If I recall correctly, then there is an incompatibility between the older
    GRUB versions and the newer /ext3/ filesystems. It was discussed in this
    newsgroup a while ago, but I don't remember what the thread was called.

    Likewise, I also don't know whether the problem exists with regard
    to /XFS,/ /JFS/ or /reiserfs/ filesystems. I presume that they would not
    pose any problems with an older GRUB, but I don't have first-hand
    experience on this.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: Older grub won't boot 2008.1?

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Tuesday 17 June 2008 15:38, someone who identifies as *Dave
    > Farrance* wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> I've just got around to installing Mandriva 2008.1 on my
    >> laptop alongside
    >> Mandriva 2007. I found that the previous grub bootloader,
    >> installed from Mdv2007, refused to boot Mdv2008.1, giving the
    >> message "Error 2: Bad file
    >> or directory type". So I then installed grub using Mdv2008.1
    >> and that
    >> worked. So I'm guessing that there's something new and
    >> incompatible associated with Mdv2008, and grub has been
    >> updated to match.
    >>
    >> The big annoyance with this is that the grub boot CD that I
    >> went to great trouble to prepare (as described last week in
    >> the thread "Bootable grub
    >> CD gives no menu") doesn't work. And because of certain BIOS
    >> issues on my laptop, I can't use the Mdv2008.1 grub to make
    >> the CD.
    >>
    >> Anybody know what this difference with Mdv2008.1 might be?
    >> Can whatever it is be reverted without any detrimental
    >> effects?

    > If I recall correctly, then there is an incompatibility between
    > the older
    > GRUB versions and the newer /ext3/ filesystems. It was
    > discussed in this newsgroup a while ago, but I don't remember
    > what the thread was called.
    >
    > Likewise, I also don't know whether the problem exists with
    > regard
    > to /XFS,/ /JFS/ or /reiserfs/ filesystems. I presume that they
    > would not pose any problems with an older GRUB, but I don't
    > have first-hand experience on this.

    What I did was create and format the partitions first using an
    earlier version of mandriva e.g. 2008.0. (but you could use any
    suitable method). Then start the 2008.1 install, choose custom
    install when you get to the partitioning stage and don't let it
    format the partitions.

    HTH
    Syd

  4. Re: Older grub won't boot 2008.1?

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:38:56 -0400, Dave Farrance wrote:

    > I've just got around to installing Mandriva 2008.1 on my laptop alongside
    > Mandriva 2007. I found that the previous grub bootloader, installed from
    > Mdv2007, refused to boot Mdv2008.1, giving the message "Error 2: Bad file
    > or directory type". So I then installed grub using Mdv2008.1 and that
    > worked. So I'm guessing that there's something new and incompatible
    > associated with Mdv2008, and grub has been updated to match.

    Yes. 256 byte inodes, by default. See
    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.os...5e4f2875ac57ad

    > The big annoyance with this is that the grub boot CD that I went to great
    > trouble to prepare (as described last week in the thread "Bootable grub
    > CD gives no menu") doesn't work. And because of certain BIOS issues on
    > my laptop, I can't use the Mdv2008.1 grub to make the CD.

    The choices, as I see it. Patch the source for the stage2_eltorito from
    Mandriva, to handle the CD problem. Patch the stage2_eltorito from the
    other source, to handle the 256 byte inodes on the ext3 filesystem. Change
    the filesystem, either to 128 byte inodes, or a different filesystem such
    as reiserfs.

    I think the easiest way would be to switch to resierfs. Note that changing
    the root filesystem type requires rebuilding the initrd. See
    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.os...d692db1cd48b20
    You'll need a bootable linux system or cd, that you can chroot from, to
    redo the mkinitrd, after changing the file system type.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Older grub won't boot 2008.1?

    Dave Farrance wrote:

    >I've just got around to installing Mandriva 2008.1 on my laptop alongside
    >Mandriva 2007. I found that the previous grub bootloader, installed from
    >Mdv2007, refused to boot Mdv2008.1 ...

    Thanks to Aragorn, Syd and David H. for your replies.

    As far as I can see, this change to the ext3 filesystem has no benefit to
    the average user until the release of ext4 is imminent, so ext3 can be
    "retro-formatted" with "mkfs.ext3 -I 128 /dev/hda?". As Syd says, do the
    formatting before not during the install.

    Anyway, from the Mdv2007 partition, I tar'ed up the new Mdv2008.1
    installation, reformatted the partition, and untarred it back. Then the
    older grub bootloaders worked again.

    One annoyance is that mkfs.ext3 deletes the partition-label and re-spins
    the UUIDs on the partition. (Which I discovered when the next reboot
    dropped me to the maintenance console because the kernel couldn't resolve
    the partition structure.) This tends to defeat the advantage of
    Mdv2008.1 placing UUIDs in fstab and grub's menu.lst, supposedly because
    UUIDs are a more consistent way of identifying the partitions than the
    old device identifiers. Just as well that I'd replaced the UUIDs with
    labels because at least the label was easy to remember and put back on
    the partition.

    --
    Dave Farrance