Latest Skype - new feature - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Latest Skype - new feature - Mandriva ; Every time Skype post a new Linux beta, I download and install it in the hope that my web-cam will finally work with it. The latest 2.0.0.72, rpm'd for Mandriva opened up as usual but when I click on the ...

  1. Latest Skype - new feature

    Every time Skype post a new Linux beta, I download and install it in the
    hope that my web-cam will finally work with it. The latest 2.0.0.72, rpm'd
    for Mandriva opened up as usual but when I click on the video test window,
    it exits back to the desktop! Anyone else tried it yet?

  2. Re: Latest Skype - new feature

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > Every time Skype post a new Linux beta, I download and install it in the
    > hope that my web-cam will finally work with it. The latest 2.0.0.72, rpm'd
    > for Mandriva opened up as usual but when I click on the video test window,
    > it exits back to the desktop! Anyone else tried it yet?

    Skype's daemon made my wife's XP run 100% CPU. I simply uninstalled it. If
    it won't work properly in XP, I wouldn't expect it to work in Linux.

    Doug.

  3. Re: Latest Skype - new feature

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > for Mandriva opened up as usual but when I click on the video test window,
    > it exits back to the desktop! Anyone else tried it yet?

    works OK here using .68 and one cam with gspcav1 (Logitech) and another with
    ov51x-jpeg (Creative) module

    cheers

    Mark

  4. Re: Latest Skype - new feature

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 18:42:21 -0400, Alan Secker wrote:

    > Every time Skype post a new Linux beta, I download and install it in the
    > hope that my web-cam will finally work with it. The latest 2.0.0.72, rpm'd
    > for Mandriva opened up as usual but when I click on the video test window,
    > it exits back to the desktop! Anyone else tried it yet?

    Thanks for the reminder to check out the new version. Unlike prior versions,
    it now works with my via ac97 sound card, so it's now actually possible for
    me to use it.

    As for the webcam, I have the same problem, using a logitech messenger webcam.
    I don't think skype will ever work with a v4l webcam. It seems to only support
    v4l2 devices.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Latest Skype - new feature

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 18:42:21 -0400, Alan Secker
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Every time Skype post a new Linux beta, I download and install it in the
    >> hope that my web-cam will finally work with it. The latest 2.0.0.72,
    >> rpm'd for Mandriva opened up as usual but when I click on the video test
    >> window, it exits back to the desktop! Anyone else tried it yet?

    > Thanks for the reminder to check out the new version. Unlike prior
    > versions, it now works with my via ac97 sound card, so it's now actually
    > possible for me to use it.
    >
    > As for the webcam, I have the same problem, using a logitech messenger
    > webcam. I don't think skype will ever work with a v4l webcam. It seems to
    > only support v4l2 devices.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    That hadn't dawned on me. I'll look round for a (cheap) one.

    Regards, Alan

+ Reply to Thread