Does Mandriva Live 2008 have an Windows disk install feature likeWubi in Ubuntu? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Does Mandriva Live 2008 have an Windows disk install feature likeWubi in Ubuntu? - Mandriva ; ..i.e, install to a file using free space without the partitioning...

  1. Does Mandriva Live 2008 have an Windows disk install feature likeWubi in Ubuntu?

    ..i.e, install to a file using free space without the partitioning

  2. Re: Does Mandriva Live 2008 have an Windows disk install feature likeWubi in Ubuntu?

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:40:24 -0400, bjr wrote:

    > .i.e, install to a file using free space without the partitioning

    Not that I know of. They do have "live" cds, for running, without
    having to install anything on the hd, but no option I've seen, for
    installing in a file.

    If you have enough ram, you could try installing it in a VirtualBox.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Does Mandriva Live 2008 have an Windows disk install featurelike Wubi in Ubuntu?

    bjr wrote:
    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:40:24 -0400, bjr wrote:
    >>
    >>> .i.e, install to a file using free space without the partitioning

    >> Not that I know of. They do have "live" cds, for running, without
    >> having to install anything on the hd, but no option I've seen, for
    >> installing in a file.
    >>
    >> If you have enough ram, you could try installing it in a VirtualBox.
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>

    > I have done that - works ok, but I like the Ubuntu Wubi file idea. It
    > seems a little more respnsive than VirtualBox.
    >
    > What does the option ' install in Windows free space' do? I saw this
    > when I installed Mandriva to a hard drive from a Live cd.

    It does just what it says "installs in the Windows Free Space" Meaning
    it is going to look at the free space in windows and use it for the
    Linux install.

  4. Re: Does Mandriva Live 2008 have an Windows disk install featurelike Wubi in Ubuntu?

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:40:24 -0400, bjr wrote:
    >
    >> .i.e, install to a file using free space without the partitioning

    > Not that I know of. They do have "live" cds, for running, without
    > having to install anything on the hd, but no option I've seen, for
    > installing in a file.
    >
    > If you have enough ram, you could try installing it in a VirtualBox.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    I have done that - works ok, but I like the Ubuntu Wubi file idea. It
    seems a little more respnsive than VirtualBox.

    What does the option ' install in Windows free space' do? I saw this
    when I installed Mandriva to a hard drive from a Live cd.

  5. Re: Does Mandriva Live 2008 have an Windows disk install feature likeWubi in Ubuntu?

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:15:53 -0400, bjr wrote:

    > What does the option ' install in Windows free space' do? I saw this
    > when I installed Mandriva to a hard drive from a Live cd.

    I don't remember if that was available in the free dvd install, or not.
    I don't know if that will install into a file, or more likely resize the
    existing partition, and create new ones.

    I've had no problems resizing an ntfs partition, so it shouldn't hurt to
    go ahead, and give that a try. I'd expect it to ask for a confirmation,
    before resizing the partition, but wouldn't count on it.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins