urpmi db always locked - Mandriva

This is a discussion on urpmi db always locked - Mandriva ; I'm used to having problems with LOCK (and how to deal with it) after I've been doing some installations, but just recently my system has been booting up in this state, and I don't mean while the system is searching ...

  1. urpmi db always locked

    I'm used to having problems with LOCK (and how to deal with it) after
    I've been doing some installations, but just recently my system has been
    booting up in this state, and I don't mean while the system is searching
    for updates - I've just double-checked the green icon is there, yet urpmi
    foo has failed because of LOCK. Any suggestions as to where I should look
    for the problem?

    Thanks,

    Chris

  2. Re: urpmi db always locked

    chris wrote:
    > I'm used to having problems with LOCK (and how to deal with it) after
    > I've been doing some installations, but just recently my system has been
    > booting up in this state, and I don't mean while the system is searching
    > for updates - I've just double-checked the green icon is there, yet urpmi
    > foo has failed because of LOCK. Any suggestions as to where I should look
    > for the problem?

    I assume you have read :-

    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Tools/urpmi#Troubleshooting

    Note sure which 'green icon' you mean, but if you have 'Mandriva online'
    set to run a startup, then as it automatically checks your system the
    urpmi and rpm databases may be locked.

    Do you have a orange circle a question mark in it on your taskbar at all?

    --
    Mark

  3. Re: urpmi db always locked

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:45:37 +0100, Mark Salter wrote:

    > chris wrote:
    >> I'm used to having problems with LOCK (and how to deal with it) after
    >> I've been doing some installations, but just recently my system has
    >> been booting up in this state, and I don't mean while the system is
    >> searching for updates - I've just double-checked the green icon is
    >> there, yet urpmi foo has failed because of LOCK. Any suggestions as to
    >> where I should look for the problem?

    > I assume you have read :-
    >
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Tools/urpmi#Troubleshooting
    >
    > Note sure which 'green icon' you mean, but if you have 'Mandriva online'
    > set to run a startup, then as it automatically checks your system the
    > urpmi and rpm databases may be locked.
    >
    > Do you have a orange circle a question mark in it on your taskbar at
    > all?

    The 'green icon' is the one that shows the database is up-to-date, after
    it's gone through its checking process (the orange icon, which goes red
    if there are updates.

    I've just started my machine again, and this time it was showing the red
    icon, so I clicked to get updates. Then I got the 'database is locked'
    message again before I had a chance to update.

    Chris

  4. Re: urpmi db always locked

    chris wrote:

    > The 'green icon' is the one that shows the database is up-to-date, after
    > it's gone through its checking process (the orange icon, which goes red
    > if there are updates.

    I have never looked closely enough to recall the different stages.

    > I've just started my machine again, and this time it was showing the red
    > icon, so I clicked to get updates. Then I got the 'database is locked'
    > message again before I had a chance to update.

    Rebooting should remove the LOCK files?

    Perhaps closing the mandriva online via the icon and then following the
    troubleshooting guide - if you have not done so already?

    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Tools/urpmi#Troubleshooting

    --
    Mark

  5. Re: urpmi db always locked

    chris writes:

    >On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:45:37 +0100, Mark Salter wrote:

    >> chris wrote:
    >>> I'm used to having problems with LOCK (and how to deal with it) after
    >>> I've been doing some installations, but just recently my system has
    >>> been booting up in this state, and I don't mean while the system is
    >>> searching for updates - I've just double-checked the green icon is
    >>> there, yet urpmi foo has failed because of LOCK. Any suggestions as to
    >>> where I should look for the problem?

    >> I assume you have read :-
    >>
    >> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Tools/urpmi#Troubleshooting
    >>
    >> Note sure which 'green icon' you mean, but if you have 'Mandriva online'
    >> set to run a startup, then as it automatically checks your system the
    >> urpmi and rpm databases may be locked.
    >>
    >> Do you have a orange circle a question mark in it on your taskbar at
    >> all?

    >The 'green icon' is the one that shows the database is up-to-date, after
    >it's gone through its checking process (the orange icon, which goes red
    >if there are updates.

    >I've just started my machine again, and this time it was showing the red
    >icon, so I clicked to get updates. Then I got the 'database is locked'
    >message again before I had a chance to update.

    Well, I would just remove the locks from the rpm and urpmi /var/lib
    directories. (files with LOCK as part of their name)

    >Chris

  6. Re: urpmi db always locked

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:19:15 +0100, Mark Salter wrote:

    > chris wrote:
    >
    >> The 'green icon' is the one that shows the database is up-to-date,
    >> after it's gone through its checking process (the orange icon, which
    >> goes red if there are updates.

    > I have never looked closely enough to recall the different stages.
    >

    >> I've just started my machine again, and this time it was showing the
    >> red icon, so I clicked to get updates. Then I got the 'database is
    >> locked' message again before I had a chance to update.

    > Rebooting should remove the LOCK files?

    But that's just my point: it used to, but now it starts up in a locked
    state - or (more likely) the auto update starts immediately, but the lock
    doesn't get removed when it's finished.

    > Perhaps closing the mandriva online via the icon and then following the
    > troubleshooting guide - if you have not done so already?
    >
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Tools/urpmi#Troubleshooting

    Thanks for pointing me at this. I've used urpmi for a long time, but this
    has useful extra info.

    Actually, I think I've solved the problem. I also noticed that the urpmi
    processes had started running very slowly. I then saw that /var was
    getting very full, so I've deleted some dross from there and things seem
    to be back to normal, though I'll do some further checks.

    Thanks for your help.

    Chris

  7. Re: urpmi db always locked

    chris wrote:
    > I'm used to having problems with LOCK (and how to deal with it) after
    > I've been doing some installations, but just recently my system has been
    > booting up in this state, and I don't mean while the system is searching
    > for updates - I've just double-checked the green icon is there, yet urpmi
    > foo has failed because of LOCK. Any suggestions as to where I should look
    > for the problem?

    When I am confronted with locked urpmi database , I do the following :
    # rm -f "/var/lib/urpmi/.LOCK"
    # rm -f "/var/lib/urpmi/.RPMLOCK"

    Frank in northern Scotland

+ Reply to Thread